HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A thread for every player: Andreas Nodl

Old
08-20-2012, 03:55 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
A thread for every player: Andreas Nodl

Andreas Nodl

(with the Canes; rankings are among forwards)
GP: 48 (11th)
TOI: 11:42 (12th)
G: 3 (12th)
A: 4 (12th)
P: 7 (12th)
PIM: 6 (13th)
Shots: 66 (11th)
Giveaways: 12 (11th)
Takeaways: 22 (9th)
Hits: 68 (6th)
Blocked shots: 17 (8th)

Height: 6'1" (1.85m)
Weight: 196 lb (89kg)

Contract status: RFA in 2013
Current contract: 2yr, $1.69m ($845k/yr)
Acquired: Waiver claim from Philadelphia, 11/29/2011

I get the sense that there is a split of opinion on Nodl. Some have argued that he is a solid defensive forward, not giving us much offensively but not costing us anything in his own end.

Personally, I can't see a single reason this guy shouldn't be a healthy scratch every game. Nothing against him, but why do we want someone in our top-9 who ensures that nothing happens when he is on the ice? Even a guy as borderline as Drayson Bowman came in and put up better offensive numbers in just over half the GP than Nodl, and not because he was floating around on defense.

Unless I'm really missing something that Nodl brings to the table, our RW depth chart should look like this:

Semin
Ruutu
LaRose
Dwyer
xNodl
xStewart
xSamson

So basically Nodl's role is to keep Stewart and Samson off the ice? I guess?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

His nickname in Philly was "No Goal" apparently

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Key Stats for him:

Takeaways: 22 (9th)
Hits: 68 (6th)
Blocked shots: 17 (8th)

Defensive wing.

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:12 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
Defensive wing.
So are Ruutu, LaRose and Dwyer on the right side alone.

So the point of Nodl is.... ?

Old
08-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Ruutu's not a defensive wing. And LaRose was at one point, but not anymore.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:08 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Ruutu's not a defensive wing.
Insofar as forechecking is an important part of defense, he is.

I mean, you can't bring up hits as proof of defensive ability and then turn around and say Ruutu doesn't play defense.

Quote:
And LaRose was at one point, but not anymore.
LaRose is as much a defensive contributor as Nodl.

Even if we grant Nodl some kind of intangible defensive edge on these guys, there's no way his offense keeps him above their level. The only active-roster player that should see him as competition is Dwyer.

Old
08-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

We have different definition of a defensive forward then. Ruutu and LaRose (more recently) have been put on the ice with the expectation of offensive contributions rather than defensive ones.

The opposite is true of Nodl and Dwyer. Their offensive contributions take a back seat in terms of importance, so long as their defensive contribution are steady.

Old
08-20-2012, 08:02 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Nodl skates well and doesn't embarrass himself, but contributes next to nothing. He is the definition of a 13th forward.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:21 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Since when does Nodl actually play RW? Does anyone watch the games besides me?

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Like Our Group View Post
Since Michael Smith listed him as a RW on the Hurricanes depth chart?

Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Quote:
Was thinking the same thing. Virtual lock for 4th line LW.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:08 AM
sheriff bart

I didn't understand why JR picked him up on the waiver wire, and I still don't understand it. He is so much like other players that were and are on the roster and doesn't offer anything that wasn't already there (from what I've seen at least). I don't dislike the guy. I don't even have any facepalm tendencies when he's on the ice. I also don't feel the need to prepare to celebrate when he's on the ice either.

If he were a color, it would be beige. Maybe that's too exotic, how about tan?

sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:15 AM
Guy

vCash: 300
He's on the team. That's pretty much my only observation of him.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:32 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
I assumed he would be there based on having his listed position changed this summer. Maybe he won't, but it seems like an odd thing to do arbitrarily.

If he stays on the left, just flip the same exact argument to the other side.

Skinner
Jokinen
Tlusty
Bowman
xNodl

Bowman is less clear-cut over him than Dwyer, but it doesn't make sense to continuously demote him back to Charlotte in order to keep Nodl in the lineup.

As far as the definition of "defensive forward", I've never before seen anyone suggest LaRose and Ruutu are out there to be one-dimensional scorers. I have a hard time believing you even believe that, BB.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

If the Canes were up by 1 in the final seconds, and for whatever reason, we needed two RW (or LW or whoever) out there to defend the lead, you'd rather have Ruutu and LaRose out there rather than Dwyer and Nodl?

LaRose has been a -36 the past two years. Which is partially because he's playing over his head on the top two lines, but also because he's simply not a great defensive player anymore.

At one time, he and Dwyer were about the same player. Good, 3rd/4th line defensive-minded wingers. But LaRose got to spend time with Staal, thus making his offensive game more of a focus. Dwyer spent that same time on the bottom lines, focusing on his defensive game.

And there's a wide gap between calling LaRose/Ruutu "defensive wingers" and calling them "one dimensional scorers". Those aren't the only two options available. LaRose/Ruutu don't disregard defense to score (ala Skinner, Samsonov, etc), but they certainly don't make defense a priority (ala Dwyer, Nodl, Sutter).

Old
08-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Zombie Mike Murphy

With the loss of Brandon Sutter, I think Nodl might have something to contribute now.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:34 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

If they were up 1 in the final seconds, I'd want some combination of Staalx2, Tlusty, Jokinen, Dwyer and Semin, if he's as good as advertised. Nodl vs. Larose/Ruutu is as irrelevant as it gets in that scenario. If Nodl gets sent out there, you're doing it wrong.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Roboturner913

I like Nodl for what he is....as long as he stays on the fourth line where he belongs.

If Sutter can somehow make the team, a traditional fourth line of Nodl-Sutter-Dwyer could be the second coming of Adams-Adams-LaRose.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:09 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
If the Canes were up by 1 in the final seconds, and for whatever reason, we needed two RW (or LW or whoever) out there to defend the lead, you'd rather have Ruutu and LaRose out there rather than Dwyer and Nodl?
I guess in that very narrow circumstance, Nodl is the better option. But there are 59 other minutes of hockey to be played before that situation arises, and at best Nodl offers nothing more than a neutral charge.

There's a reason that there aren't a ton of highly-respected defensive wingers in the league. Frankly, it's not a particularly demanding position. Wingers cover the defensemen in a set defensive situation, and very few defensemen in the NHL need better than average coverage. In defensive transition, wingers are the last guys on the backcheck due to the nature of their offensive responsibilities, so unless they're REALLY good they rarely have a major impact on a rush. Basically, if a winger has his head screwed on halfway straight he can play adequate defense (ie, every winger on our roster except Skinner).

The few wingers who are noted for their defense are usually either good offensively as well, or hard-assed forecheckers like Dustin Brown and Ruutu. Nodl is neither. He is literally on the ice to occupy his lane. That's not saying a whole lot, and it's undoubtedly why he was on waivers to begin with.

Quote:
And there's a wide gap between calling LaRose/Ruutu "defensive wingers" and calling them "one dimensional scorers". Those aren't the only two options available.

I agree. I was responding to your statement:

"Ruutu and LaRose (more recently) have been put on the ice with the expectation of offensive contributions rather than defensive ones. "

I would say that Ruutu and LaRose are both MUCH more valuable to this team when the opponent has the puck. The fact that they have been offensive cogs for the past couple of seasons has been out of pure necessity, added to the fact that unlike Nodl they are at least able to pretend to have an offensive game. As soon as we added two top-6 forwards to the roster, the necessity for a guy like LaRose to play offensive hockey disappeared.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Then, as I said before, we've got different definitions of a defensive winger.

If the primary expectation for the player when he's put on the ice is to contribute offensively, I wouldn't call that player a "defensive" anything. If they're expected to contribute offensively and defensively (as Jordan Staal is this upcoming season), then I'd call them a two-way player. That's probably where I'd put LaRose as well, though obviously his offense and his defense aren't on the same level, since he's generally put in the Top-6 when a line is in need of a guy that can backcheck (such as putting him with Staal when Staal struggled, or putting him with Jokinen and Skinner). But at the same time, he was expected to keep up with Staal/Skinner/etc. and contribute on the offensive side of the puck. Ruutu, I've never considered to be a defensive guy.

Then you have guys like Sutter, Dwyer, or to borrow some from other teams, Bolland and Pahlsson. They're put on the ice to stop opponents from scoring. They're defensive players. The expectations for them to contribute offensively are next to nothing. The same can't be said of LaRose and Ruutu. Ruutu was (rightfully) torn apart this season, because his offensive numbers were well below expectations. And everytime LaRose hits the Top-6, he's trashed because "he's not scoring". Neither one has that expectation of "defense first, score if the opportunity arises" that Sutter had these past couple seasons.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:12 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Then, as I said before, we've got different definitions of a defensive winger.
I think I understand the definitions at this point. The question is, do we really need ANOTHER defensive winger in this lineup? Defensive wingers are not commodities to be hoarded, unless they're particularly good, which Nodl isn't.

It's like having a one-way offensive winger who only scores 15 goals a year. Why?

Quote:
Then you have guys like Sutter, Dwyer, or to borrow some from other teams, Bolland and Pahlsson. They're put on the ice to stop opponents from scoring.
Right, and with the exception of Dwyer that is a group of elite defensive centers. The positional difference is significant. A defensive center has about double the impact of a defensive winger, unless that winger is really really good in some other facet of the game, in which case they're no longer considered "defensive" by your definition.

So basically, guys who you would consider true defensive wingers are about a step above backup goalies in usefulness, unless they are particularly elite, which Nodl isn't.

Quote:
They're defensive players. The expectations for them to contribute offensively are next to nothing. The same can't be said of LaRose and Ruutu. Ruutu was (rightfully) torn apart this season, because his offensive numbers were well below expectations. And everytime LaRose hits the Top-6, he's trashed because "he's not scoring". Neither one has that expectation of "defense first, score if the opportunity arises" that Sutter had these past couple seasons.
In LaRose's case, that's a matter of not having had proper personnel on our roster in the past. A player like LaRose should not be considered an offense-first player in the NHL. That's a Jim Rutherford Special for you.

As for Ruutu, I guess it's a matter of perspective about what "defense" involves. I guess you could call aggressive forechecking "offense", in which case he's an offensive forward. I think most people think of forechecking as a form of defense, in which case he's one of those two-way guys.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Well, if we've got the definitions down, I don't see the problem.

The top six will contain those wingers expected to contribute offensively (Semin, Jokinen, Ruutu, Skinner), and the bottom six will contain those wingers who's primary expectations is to contribute defensively (Tlusty, LaRose, Dwyer, and Nodl).

Now, Nodl could lose his spot to any one of the prospects that are always expected to step into a spot (Bowman, Samson, Sutter, etc), or the elusive "tough guy" that JR's apparently going to sign, but at the moment, I don't see the problem with him being the 4th line winger.

Old
08-21-2012, 05:20 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I assumed he would be there based on having his listed position changed this summer. Maybe he won't, but it seems like an odd thing to do arbitrarily.
I can guarantee the listed position change had nothing to do with anything in reality. It's NHL.com screwing around. Since when do players change their positions in the summer with no notice to anyone? What would seem odd is Andreas Nodl, a left-shooting LWer on a team who has 3 right-shooting right-wingers in the bottom six switching his position to make it more difficult to crack the lineup.

Skinner is still listed as a RW and has he ever played RW in the NHL? Alex Semin is a left-handed shot according to NHL.com...

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:22 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Alex Semin is a left-handed shot according to NHL.com...
The hell?