HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking back at the Quincy - Downie trade.

Old
08-20-2012, 09:27 PM
PeterForsberg

vCash: 500
Looking back at the Quincy - Downie trade.

Was that trade good for Tampa, or the Avs? Opinions on it? I think it worked out for us. At first I was really pissed when I heard it, but it was an unexpected win for us.

PeterForsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:29 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
It gives Colorado very nice winger depth and a lot of grit. But at the same time leaves the defence looking pretty weak. Overall, I view it as a good trade for Colorado, but it did come at a cost, even though I wasn't a big fan of Quincey.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:45 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
I'd make that trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

I was not a big Quincy fan, he always left me wanting more. He could be REAL frustrating to watch (as Detroit fans found out when we played them after the trade)

I don't have any inside info, like what TPS may or may not have, but I think he became a bit of a distraction in the locker room with his comments he made about being forced to stay out of the lineup because Sacco "didn't want to mess with a lineup that had been winning" (whether or not the comments were warranted, they didn't need to be said publicly)

And the comments he made shortly after being traded left a bad taste in my mouth as well.

I won't say "good riddance" but I will say that I hope he's happy where he is, because I'm happy with our end of that trade and am not looking back.

RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:47 PM
thedoctor
                    

Honestly, I'd rather have Quincey. He was inconsistent, but I think he was more valuable than Downie.

...if not for his clear desire to leave and overall bad attitude. Considering that, the Avs did a good job. We still have a big hole on the left side of the D though.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:49 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
Honestly, I'd rather have Quincey. He was inconsistent, but I think he was more valuable than Downie.

...if not for his clear desire to leave and overall bad attitude. Considering that, the Avs did a good job. We still have a big hole on the left side of the D though.
While we may "have a hole" as you put it, I don't think Quincy was playing any better than anyone else we have/will put there.

Simply put, I think he just played himself out of Denver, and as evidenced by what he signed for, he played himself out of a bit more money

Old
08-20-2012, 09:59 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
While we may "have a hole" as you put it, I don't think Quincy was playing any better than anyone else we have/will put there.

Simply put, I think he just played himself out of Denver, and as evidenced by what he signed for, he played himself out of a bit more money
It would be hard to make a definitive case considering the lack of solid defensive stats, but I think Quincey was a clear step better than Wilson, Zanon, SOB, and Hunwick. Doesn't matter though, he was clearly a problem off the ice and it was better to get something for him while we could.

Here's hoping Siemens or Gaunce is ready to step up soon.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:24 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quincey sucked with us and sucked with Detroit. I recorded some games early and middle parts of the season, which I recently watch and he always stuck out like a sore thumb defensively.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:28 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Downie, love the guy. Win.

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:34 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

The moment that Downie came back from what looked like some sort of shoulder separation, to me that said "This guy is a keeper".

What a warrior. And in that short amount of time, he must've earned so much respect from his teammates for attempting to battle through what must've been a painful injury.

Old
08-20-2012, 11:30 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
I wasn't a huge fan of Downie but I still liked that trade a lot from the beginning. Yes there is a hole in our D with the absence of Quincey but I strongly believe that Ryan Wilson can fill that hole. He may not do as well of a job as Quincey (which isn't that great to start with) but he will do a decent enough job plus then you add Downie helping out our offense making us have 3 attacking lines and the trade looks really damn good for us.

Also I loved the way Downie would get so pissed off whenever somebody would touch Landeskog or O'Reilly after the whistle.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:01 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Also I loved the way Downie would get so pissed off whenever somebody would touch Landeskog or O'Reilly after the whistle.
Absolutely agree. That line was really something to watch.

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:15 AM
Mouse21*

the Avs were the only team to get anything good out of the entire swap.

id do the trade 10 out of 10 times.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:11 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
I almost wet myself when I heard the Avs acquired Downie. Nothing has changed since then. I am still near to wetting myself. I should probably have gone to the bathroom sometime in the last half-year.

All that said, I was nearly equally as stoked about getting Quincey in the first place. He'd shown a lot of promise up to that point, but ultimately failed to deliver. And I was intrigued with Preissing, too, hoping he might turn it around. That obviously did not happen.

Years ago I wished that the Avs could have gotten Darcy Tucker. He was awesome at what he did. He was a pest, he could fight, he could score and hit and battle. My wish was eventually granted, though by that time it was too late. Not so with Downie, who most likely isn't even in his prime yet.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:15 AM
AyVee

Downie > Quincey.
Downie is an instant fan favorite with everyone I've met.
Quincey, hit and miss.

AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:18 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

From an outside perspective it looks like a huge win for the Avalanche landing Downie for Quincey.

Tampa Bay made out better to by sending Quincey to the Red Wings, for a first round pick.

Downie > 1st Round Pick > Quincey

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:21 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
I almost wet myself when I heard the Avs acquired Downie. Nothing has changed since then. I am still near to wetting myself. I should probably have gone to the bathroom sometime in the last half-year.

All that said, I was nearly equally as stoked about getting Quincey in the first place. He'd shown a lot of promise up to that point, but ultimately failed to deliver. And I was intrigued with Preissing, too, hoping he might turn it around. That obviously did not happen.

Years ago I wished that the Avs could have gotten Darcy Tucker. He was awesome at what he did. He was a pest, he could fight, he could score and hit and battle. My wish was eventually granted, though by that time it was too late. Not so with Downie, who most likely isn't even in his prime yet.
My exact toughts, even tough I'm a Habs fan and always liked Tucker and his ability to turn the heat up and score at the same time, players like that are a rare kind in the NHL.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:38 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Avs won hands down.

But Quincey was a pretty vital piece since a puckmoving defenseman is the biggest piece we are lacking today.

But Downie... he is awesome!!!

Sherman made a good deal.

RobinDIF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:11 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Very happy with this move. Not to mention Quincey was pain in the ass, whining etc. I'm happy we got rid of him. Downie is great.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I think Quincey might have become a negotiating problem for Avs. Downie meanwhile signed a decent contract with us.

Quincey is a pretty good defender when plays well. But he is a bit inconsistent and those lazy penalties he took was driving me nuts.

I like the trade for Avs but I don't think anyone fleeced anyone in that trade. All three teams got what they wanted.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterForsberg View Post
Was that trade good for Tampa, or the Avs? Opinions on it? I think it worked out for us. At first I was really pissed when I heard it, but it was an unexpected win for us.
Not even remotely unexpected, I was saying to trade Quincey for max value since he showed a resemblence of solid play last season.

He's a plug, Downie is solid. I was happy the moment I heard it.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:31 AM
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy

I think we won't really be able to tell until we see him play a good part of the season with us while healthy. From what I've seen so far though I am thrilled. Downie brings an element to the team that we really needed.

And of course he's got a mad flow and is hilarious to watch. When he kicked that helmet... Classic!

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:44 AM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
I think we won't really be able to tell until we see him play a good part of the season with us while healthy. From what I've seen so far though I am thrilled. Downie brings an element to the team that we really needed.

And of course he's got a mad flow and is hilarious to watch. When he kicked that helmet... Classic!
Agreed! And I don't give two ***** about the penalty that was called on him for it either. It was worth it. However, I was one big doofus and deleted that game. I can't even find a clip of the incident on Youtube...If anyone has seen it floating around the internets anywhere and would care to share, I'd appreciate it.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
It would be hard to make a definitive case considering the lack of solid defensive stats, but I think Quincey was a clear step better than Wilson, Zanon, SOB, and Hunwick. Doesn't matter though, he was clearly a problem off the ice and it was better to get something for him while we could.

Here's hoping Siemens or Gaunce is ready to step up soon.
A lot of you guys are going to regret dumping on Zanon like this. He's going to SURPRISE a lot of people just like Greg de Vries did when he was acquired for a 3rd round pick. I'd take Zanon and his CONSISTENT play any day over Quincey being up and down on any given night. Quincey starts every season red hot, his head inflates, then he starts to suck but his head stays the same size. On his best day, he's a #3 guy yet he believes he's a top pairing superstar. No thanks.

I was extremely THRILLED when he was shipped out. Then I was unsure about what Downie would bring and was surprised to see him play a game that is similar to what Claude Lemieux used to provide. These types of players are really hard to find and this was a major coup by the Avs front office, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 17 23 View Post
From an outside perspective it looks like a huge win for the Avalanche landing Downie for Quincey.

Tampa Bay made out better to by sending Quincey to the Red Wings, for a first round pick.

Downie > 1st Round Pick > Quincey
You're right, it's exactly that order but the Bolts picked up Vasilevski with that pick and I really think that kid is going to be the real deal. He may very well turn out to be the best player in that trade in 3-4 years.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:53 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I would've been iffy about it at the beginning of last year, mostly because I thought Quincey would become the left top-pairing defender for EJ. However, after watching him play...

Downie is perfect for this team, it opened up a hole, but heart and soul players with the offensive talent that Downie has is pretty rare.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Foppa2118

It's pretty easily Downie for me. They are probably about equal value wise, in terms of 2nd line winger vs 2nd pairing two way D. But Downie just brings so much to the Avs, and in areas where they didn't have before.

I forgot which analyst said it at the time of the trade, but Downie is a guy that will drag teammates into the game emotionally. He's a proactive player. He plays with his heart on his sleeve with a do anything it takes mentality. His play gets under the opponents skin, which opens up time and space for his linemates, plus distracts the other team from focusing on shutting down the Avs star players. A 4th line guy like McLeod, or even Lappy can only do so much in this area, because they're not constantly out there distracting the opposition.

Plus he's a good player. Very underrated hockey smarts, and passing ability, and he knows his role. He'll drive the net and dig for rebounds, and work hard in the corners for his linemates. He can play with more meat and potatoes guys like O'Reilly and Landeskog, and can also skate well enough and play on a line with uber talented stars like Stamkos, and hopefully Duchene at some point.

Quincey's a solid two way defesneman. He plays physical on occasion, and will fight if he has to, and can chip in a few points, and play decent defense, but he doesn't bring the same elements that Downie does. It's much harder to find a guy that does what Downie does, as well as he does it, on the top two lines, than it is to find a guy that does what Quincey does as well as he does.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote