HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need Help! Where should I play?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-20-2012, 01:16 AM
  #1
lokomotiv15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: London, ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Need Help! Where should I play?

Hey guys,

I figured this would be the best place to post this kind of thing. Any responses will be appreciated!

I am currently living in London, Ontario in Canada. I am moving down to Pittsburgh for work for 8-10 months in September and was told that the leagues down there fill up rather quickly so I was hoping to call up and reserve my spot on a team.

Now the thing is, where I'm from, there are usually just A, B and rec/beginner leagues, but when it looks like there is A, B, double B, C, D, E, EE etc... in the US, and I was wondering where I would fit into that. I've looked it up and it appears that A is ex-pro, college players, etc, B is AAA, maybe tier-3 NCAA players, and BB is AAA, AA, and high school players and all that stuff. Problem is I dont know how the AAA, AA or high school hockey there measures up to what we have up here.

So for anyone who has a reference point, I played AA hockey here in Canada, then High-school and Junior D (which is junior C, SOJHL now).

So where would I fit in in your standard league in Pittsburgh/Columbus/etc...?

Thanks a lot guys, any information is greatly appreciated.

lokomotiv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:49 PM
  #2
JoeCool16
Registered User
 
JoeCool16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,851
vCash: 500
Sorry bud, you're on the other side of the continent from me!

I think your best bet would be to post this as "OT" down in the Penguins forum, you'll get more guys who live around that area and know the leagues.

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:43 PM
  #3
fryer98
Registered User
 
fryer98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life and I've played in adult leagues in over half the rinks in the area, so I'm sure I could help you.

Where are you moving? How old are you? What rink(s) are you planning to play at?

The only leagues I know of that you can sign up as an individual are 30+ and 40+ leagues. Some rinks will take your name and give it to teams if they need additional players though.

Let me know the above and I'll see what I can do for ya.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:00 PM
  #4
lokomotiv15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: London, ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer98 View Post
I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life and I've played in adult leagues in over half the rinks in the area, so I'm sure I could help you.

Where are you moving? How old are you? What rink(s) are you planning to play at?

The only leagues I know of that you can sign up as an individual are 30+ and 40+ leagues. Some rinks will take your name and give it to teams if they need additional players though.

Let me know the above and I'll see what I can do for ya.
Thanks for any help, ill also post my question on the Pens board.

Im looking at apartments just by downtown because its close to my work. Im 22 years old and honestly dont even know which rinks would be best to apply to.

Hopefully you know of something for someone under 30 haha.

lokomotiv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:13 PM
  #5
TrueBlue86
Registered User
 
TrueBlue86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokomotiv15 View Post
Hey guys,

I figured this would be the best place to post this kind of thing. Any responses will be appreciated!

I am currently living in London, Ontario in Canada. I am moving down to Pittsburgh for work for 8-10 months in September and was told that the leagues down there fill up rather quickly so I was hoping to call up and reserve my spot on a team.

Now the thing is, where I'm from, there are usually just A, B and rec/beginner leagues
hey, do you have advice where a beginner like myself should play in London starting September?

I've skated since January of this year have the basics down but have not played, outside of some road hokey as a kid. I'm 26 btw. I'll only be in the city fri-mon, those days included.

do you recommend power skating at total package hockey? i'd be open to power skating, beginner league/shinny, what ever..

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:24 PM
  #6
Beezeral
Registered User
 
Beezeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,279
vCash: 500
Each league in each city has a different definition of what constitutes an A league. Play a few weeks of open hockey and just ask the regulars what division is the best fit for you

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:25 PM
  #7
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Yup. Way too local of a thing. Every league is different. Watching some league games is the best way to figure out where you belong.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:17 AM
  #8
lokomotiv15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: London, ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=TrueBlue86;53734145]hey, do you have advice where a beginner like myself should play in London starting September?

I've skated since January of this year have the basics down but have not played, outside of some road hokey as a kid. I'm 26 btw. I'll only be in the city fri-mon, those days included.

do you recommend power skating at total package hockey? i'd be open to power skating, beginner league/shinny, what ever..[/QUOTE
As a newer skater I strongly recommend the rookie league at the Ice park, or what used to be called Brookside arena just off of Adelaide and Thompson street. I helped coach the weekly practices for it last winter. It's mostly guys who have started in the last year, to guys who have been playing for about 3 years. It seems to really help with the development of skills and for the feel of the game for even some people who have started skating as late as their late 50's, there is even an older woman (Around 60) whos been playing for 5-6 years and isn't too bad at all.

You can find more info on it here: http://london-ice-park.ezleagues.ezf...ie-League.aspx
That link will take you to the Ice park site and you can look through leagues, etc... for more information.

Gadzigs 3-on-3 power skating and hockey skills are good, as is total package, but you'll get the best, true feel of the game in the 5-on-5 format of the rookie league at the LIP.

Hope I helped.

lokomotiv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:18 AM
  #9
lokomotiv15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: London, ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
And thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

lokomotiv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:09 AM
  #10
fryer98
Registered User
 
fryer98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokomotiv15 View Post
Thanks for any help, ill also post my question on the Pens board.

Im looking at apartments just by downtown because its close to my work. Im 22 years old and honestly dont even know which rinks would be best to apply to.

Hopefully you know of something for someone under 30 haha.
Just by downtown, meaning which area? Close to downtown to the east or west makes a big difference.

An address or name of your work would help.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:41 PM
  #11
TrueBlue86
Registered User
 
TrueBlue86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokomotiv15 View Post
As a newer skater I strongly recommend the rookie league at the Ice park, or what used to be called Brookside arena just off of Adelaide and Thompson street. I helped coach the weekly practices for it last winter. It's mostly guys who have started in the last year, to guys who have been playing for about 3 years. It seems to really help with the development of skills and for the feel of the game for even some people who have started skating as late as their late 50's, there is even an older woman (Around 60) whos been playing for 5-6 years and isn't too bad at all.

You can find more info on it here: http://london-ice-park.ezleagues.ezf...ie-League.aspx
That link will take you to the Ice park site and you can look through leagues, etc... for more information.

Gadzigs 3-on-3 power skating and hockey skills are good, as is total package, but you'll get the best, true feel of the game in the 5-on-5 format of the rookie league at the LIP.

Hope I helped.
thanks, that's great

i just called and the guy said they'll be running it on friday nights again this year, which works for me

i think i'll go with that league, with maybe some shinny/skating one other day a week

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:09 PM
  #12
fryer98
Registered User
 
fryer98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokomotiv15 View Post
I am moving down to Pittsburgh for work for 8-10 months in September
Did you make the move?

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:17 PM
  #13
wahsnairb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,790
vCash: 500
Columbus does not even have an A league these days.. B C C2 D and E (and B only plays Mondays right now) so you get great players who play "C"

point being it just depends on the specific league and area you plan to play in.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.