HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Fisher signs 2 yr/$8.4 mil extension!

Old
08-20-2012, 09:37 PM
NoNecksCurse

vCash: 500
hartnell inked a long term deal at 4.75 cap hit..... its pretty simple really...

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Was hoping for a bit more of a discount, but still can't complain with $4.2M. He'd have gotten more on the market for sure. I like the term though. Gives us more flexibility down the road.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBeatMyPekka View Post
Olli Jokinen scored more points than Fisher last year and has a VERY strong 2 way game as well. To boot he has 89, 91, and 71pts seasons under his belt. So he got 4.5 in this market. so when you compare that to Fishers 4.2 its very even, if Fisher got any more yes it would be an over payment. Its pretty simple really.....
Well, I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I watched Olli Jokinen play many many games last year, my best friend is a Calgary fan and we watch Flames games all the time. Jokinen is maybe slightly better than Fisher offensively, of course, playing with Iginla never hurts your stats. He is, however, nowhere near as good defensively, and he certainly doesn't have a very strong two way game. On his very best nights, he's slightly above average defensively. Anyway, this thread is about Fisher let's get back on topic.

Totally off topic: Sorry to sound like a grammar Nazi, but an eliipsis has three dots (...), it's a pet peeve of mine to see all of those periods at the end of the sentence.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:46 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
Well, I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I watched Olli Jokinen play many many games last year, my best friend is a Calgary fan and we watch Flames games all the time. Jokinen is maybe slightly better than Fisher offensively, of course, playing with Iginla never hurts your stats. He is, however, nowhere near as good defensively, and he certainly doesn't have a very strong two way game. On his very best nights, he's slightly above average defensively. Anyway, this thread is about Fisher let's get back on topic.

Totally off topic: Sorry to sound like a grammar Nazi, but an eliipsis has three dots (...), it's a pet peeve of mine to see all of those periods at the end of the sentence.
Ollie best years were in Florida, without Iginla. Either way like you said everyone is entitled to their opinion and I see Ollie as a good 2 way center...........

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Ollie best years were in Florida, without Iginla. Either way like you said everyone is entitled to their opinion and I see Ollie as a good 2 way center...........
Once more, we're talking about now, not 5 years ago. Cheechoo scored 50 goals while Jokinen was putting up 90 points, do you want to give Cheechoo 8 million per? Of course not, because you don't pay players for what they were 5 years ago. Last year he had a couple more points than Fisher playing on a line with Iginla. He was also a minus player and had average to mediocre advanced stats. Edit: I actually went back and checked again, his advanced stats are worse than I thought.

I'm very happy to have Fisher back on a more than reasonable term and cap hit. I wish he was the captain of the team...

Old
08-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Marty Party
@ The Bridge

Mike was happy about it tonight at the Bridge.

Marty Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Party View Post
Mike was happy about it tonight at the Bridge.
Good to hear. He's going to retire a Predator, I'm pretty certain of that. If he wants to continue playing after this extension is up, I bet we see him start taking one year deals until he's ready to live it up in retirement.

Old
08-20-2012, 10:09 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
There is now way we could replace what Mike Fisher will bring to this team for the next 3 years for what we are going to pay him...(remember hes only getting $3 mil actual cash this coming season)

I like it...

Last edited by PredsV82: 08-20-2012 at 10:17 PM.
PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:26 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
Once more, we're talking about now, not 5 years ago. Cheechoo scored 50 goals while Jokinen was putting up 90 points, do you want to give Cheechoo 8 million per? Of course not, because you don't pay players for what they were 5 years ago. Last year he had a couple more points than Fisher playing on a line with Iginla. He was also a minus player and had average to mediocre advanced stats. Edit: I actually went back and checked again, his advanced stats are worse than I thought.

I'm very happy to have Fisher back on a more than reasonable term and cap hit. I wish he was the captain of the team...
take statements out of context much? Ollie is still producing, that cheechoo comment is irrelevant and has nothing to do with what im suggesting. Iginla was just as much a minus player as Ollie, he must be terribly defensively. Id bet that entire flames roster probably all have bad advanced stats. Id also bet when Fisher was on Ottawa he had similar advanced stats like Ollies past couple years. Oh and why didnt Fisher put up good number when he played with Spezza, Alfredson, Heatley, etc back on OTT?

Old
08-20-2012, 10:57 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
do you guys think its a little steep? i do somewhat. wanting others opinions
$4.2M a year for Fisher is just about perfect. I won't nitpick over $200k. Poile did really well here.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:28 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
$4.2M a year for Fisher is just about perfect. I won't nitpick over $200k. Poile did really well here.
this is my thinking as well. although we should only expect, 20 goals 20 assists with strong two way play from fisher. not sure I like the price with legwand as our #2 already.. but for only 2 years, I like it. lets see how wilson and smith pan out.. fisher or legwand might be out the door in 2 years. or in a vastly reduced role.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
I like this for two reasons:

A)I love it for Nashville. Solid price for a very good player coming off one of his best years offensively (under the radar I might add). Good on Mr. Poile!

B)I prefer to keep him on a team I like and away from the East because this man absolutely murders the Rangers

But in all seriousness, this was a key signing. So glad to see the Preds retaining big names.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:56 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
take statements out of context much? Ollie is still producing, that cheechoo comment is irrelevant and has nothing to do with what im suggesting.
Not at the ninety point level you've inexplicably kept bringing up. Nowhere even near that, really.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:32 AM
crockpot

Putting a strictly female (mine) point of view on this:

Mike is gorgeous.

Ollie - not so much.

So yes, Mike deserves the money.

But seriously, Mike brings so much more than just "points" to the organization/team. He's a great ambassador for the game of hockey. He works tirelessly for charities. He's a heart and soul guy.

If you're not happy with him in Nashville, please send him home to Ottawa. I will always miss him.

crockpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Good signing; friendly terms on both sides for the most part. I like Fisher; stand-up guy.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Shea Weber

Money is not an issue in that household.

Carrie has an estimated net worth of $45 mil, and of course she wants Mike to stay in Nashville.

Was probably one of the easiest negotiations of Poile's career.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:59 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Fishers never had 90 point seasons.
no, but he consistantly contributes to playoff teams while Jokinen in his past had been labled a locker room cancer and contributes to lottery teams. Has he ever played in the playoffs? I don't think he did in Florida, I don't think he did in PHO, he was dealt to NYR and he missed the shootout attempt on the last day of the season vs the flyers that sent NYR home. I know he hasn't with the flames.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:44 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The #15 goal scoring forward last season signed to an extension that keeps his cap hit constant with a consistent structure. A good signing from all perspectives that I can see.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:36 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Giving Fisher two years at $4.2m is fine with me. It isn't an overpayment in today's league. Yes, the team still needs a #1C, but having Fisher here for at least two more years allows us to at least have a couple of decent centers playing both ends of the ice while Poile either finds the #1 guy in a trade, or one develops out of who we already have. If Poile didn't spend that much on Fisher it doesn't mean he is guaranteed to be able to go out and find someone else. Gotta take what you can get, and keep trying for what you need.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:38 AM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
no, but he consistantly contributes to playoff teams while Jokinen in his past had been labled a locker room cancer and contributes to lottery teams. Has he ever played in the playoffs? I don't think he did in Florida, I don't think he did in PHO, he was dealt to NYR and he missed the shootout attempt on the last day of the season vs the flyers that sent NYR home. I know he hasn't with the flames.
For the 2009 playoffs he was traded to Cal and played in 6 games. He surprisingly had 5 points too.

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:17 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

I was expecting roughly a mil less than Grabovski who's an annual 50pt player and received 5.5x5. So I'd say it's a fair price. I'm surprised that it's only for 2 years though. Figured they'd want to lock him up as a pred with that hopes that he becomes the #2 with a potential #1 being acquired or developed. Great depth player.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:29 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I'd love for him to catch that spark he had in the middle of the season last year. For about 30 games or so, dude was a beast.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:31 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Not at the ninety point level you've inexplicably kept bringing up. Nowhere even near that, really.
I never stated he was, I stated he's simply producing still. And that is correct. He is still a great player. You have put words in my mouth your last, and only 2 posts. I'd suggest you reread all my posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I never put down Fisher, but thanks for the information, it means a ton.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:58 PM
INDhockeyfan

According to capgeek Fisher got a NMC with his extension. Not surprised as he was willing to take a shorter term in order to get the clause.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:35 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Love it.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote