HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers thoughts

Old
08-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
its called an out clause just like they would if they signed in europe
Why would an NHL owner or AHL club afiliated with a NHL team be willing to sign any player being locked out? Pretty much defeats the goal of a lockout--not to mention create a great deal of bad will if an AHL team was willing to sign a player.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:37 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Why would an NHL owner or AHL club afiliated with a NHL team be willing to sign any player being locked out? Pretty much defeats the goal of a lockout--not to mention create a great deal of bad will if an AHL team was willing to sign a player.
you say this like jim dolan cares about getting what bettman wants and his #1 priority isn't his own team.

if it was up to jim dolan and the other big market owners there would be no cap, no less a lockout to lower it to 2004 levels.

and how is there going to be 'bad will' with anyone if the nhl club is sending their players to their own ahl club

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
you say this like jim dolan cares about getting what bettman wants and his #1 priority isn't his own team.

if it was up to jim dolan and the other big market owners there would be no cap, no less a lockout to lower it to 2004 levels.

and how is there going to be 'bad will' with anyone if the nhl club is sending their players to their own ahl club
Once again, players who have to pass through waivers will not be able to play in the AHL. Not even Redden. And the big market teams have made money hand over fist since the lockout--why would they not go along for the ride this time? More cost control=more profit for them.

And why would a player sign an AHL contract for the right to play for 1/10 their NHL salary and risk a career ending injury?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:01 AM
Zil

Quote:

Dolan doesn't appear to care, but Snider (Flyers) and Jacobs (Bruins) are huge lockout hawks and are trying to break the union rather than give in to increased revenue sharing.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:17 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Ryan McDonagh was rated 36th in THN's top 50 players list. 7th best D in the NHL. You want that guy playing in the AHL during a lockout?

Snider and Jacobs will have to realize there won't be a season played without increased revenue sharing. Fehr took the baseball players out on strike in 1994 when not that many people thought he would that late in the season. They missed the playoffs. Spring training was delayed. They played a 144 game season in 1995. Not 162. Snider and Jacobs will be around when all of the current players have retired. Fehr and Bettman will be retired. Do they want a healthy 30 team league? These jokers are talking about expansion. Another team in Toronto. Seattle. Quebec City. Some of these teams would rather pay a bad contract than pay the equivalent of a bad money into revenue sharing. Philly and Boston didn't know how 35 plus contracts worked so why would anyone be surprised about them not knowing how revenue sharing works.

Snider and Jacobs don't have Alan Eagleson around anymore to screw over the players.

The ball is in Bettman's court. He is already the only commissioner in pro sports to preside over a league which missed an season due to labor issues. He's a joke.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Ryan McDonagh was rated 36th in THN's top 50 players list. 7th best D in the NHL. You want that guy playing in the AHL during a lockout?

Snider and Jacobs will have to realize there won't be a season played without increased revenue sharing. Fehr took the baseball players out on strike in 1994 when not that many people thought he would that late in the season. They missed the playoffs. Spring training was delayed. They played a 144 game season in 1995. Not 162. Snider and Jacobs will be around when all of the current players have retired. Fehr and Bettman will be retired. Do they want a healthy 30 team league? These jokers are talking about expansion. Another team in Toronto. Seattle. Quebec City. Some of these teams would rather pay a bad contract than pay the equivalent of a bad money into revenue sharing. Philly and Boston didn't know how 35 plus contracts worked so why would anyone be surprised about them not knowing how revenue sharing works.

Snider and Jacobs don't have Alan Eagleson around anymore to screw over the players.

The ball is in Bettman's court. He is already the only commissioner in pro sports to preside over a league which missed an season due to labor issues. He's a joke.
bettman is a joke? i dunno, hes making the ppl he represents a lot of money...that would be the big market teams who account for basically 90% of the NHL's revenue.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:22 AM
CM PUNK

gotta keep in mind that the majority of the revenue increases have been brought by the canadian dollar going from like $0.67/USD to $1/USD and expanding the league from 24 teams to 30 and doubling ticket prices more than anything that bettman or any of the teams actually did to improve the situation.

if the CDN tanked the league would be in serious trouble again.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
bettman is a joke? i dunno, hes making the ppl he represents a lot of money...that would be the big market teams who account for basically 90% of the NHL's revenue.
Those big market teams are succeeding because of Gary Bettman? Seriously?

If anything, his legacy (besides the cancelled 2004-2005 season) will be stupid expansions and helping send the NHL's smaller market teams to the poorhouse.

Hes trying to fix that this time around by (surprise!) trying to screw the players.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
gotta keep in mind that the majority of the revenue increases have been brought by the canadian dollar going from like $0.67/USD to $1/USD and expanding the league from 24 teams to 30 and doubling ticket prices more than anything that bettman or any of the teams actually did to improve the situation.

if the CDN tanked the league would be in serious trouble again.
Good points, especially about the ticket prices.

Bettman said ticket prices would drop as a result of the last lockout.

Yea right.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Good points, especially about the ticket prices.

Bettman said ticket prices would drop as a result of the last lockout.

Yea right.
Like a politician he'll tell ya anything to get votes. Ticket prices will go down, we care about the fans, this needs to be done for the betterment of the game, if we don't do something now we may not have hockey in a fews years at all, blah blah blah.

Translation: "We (the owners) want more of the pie.

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:38 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
IMO they should be locking Delly up in a deal similar to Staal. 5yr, 4m aav. Delly is only getting better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
I wouldn't. Although Rozsival is older he has shown he can do well in NY, still knows a few guys from the team, and may come cheaper then both the above. I think they are great alternatives but I would take Rozy over them.
Hannan signed for 1mil. Although I wouldn't mind Rozi playing a 3rd pairing/limited role with the Rangers, I doubt he signs for less.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Those big market teams are succeeding because of Gary Bettman? Seriously?

If anything, his legacy (besides the cancelled 2004-2005 season) will be stupid expansions and helping send the NHL's smaller market teams to the poorhouse.

Hes trying to fix that this time around by (surprise!) trying to screw the players.
absolutely.

The Rangers payroll was 77 mil in 03-04...their franchise was valued at about 282mil that year.

Last year our payroll was less than that even with Drurys buyout & Reddens salary buried in Hartford. AND the franchise value is over 507 million as of now.

heres a great read:
http://www.davemanuel.com/nhl-franch...5-lockout-135/

All the lower end teams are still losing money, but the bigger franchise are all producing record profits despite the economy suffering through a pretty nasty recession during the post-lockout term that we are in now.

how many businesses have grown to this extent during that time? im a business owner, my business has suffered tremendously. rising costs, lower customer base, lower price/order....my sales have stayed somewhat steady, my overall cost has skyrocketed. higher gas prices make everything more expensive.

Old
08-20-2012, 06:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

DZ drove to Manhattan today from Toronto.

Quote:
Last night at home with the parents. Off to NYC tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/MichaelDelZotto/...61257064321024

Quote:
Done unpacking. Waiting in line to pay for groceries from whole foods. Everyone wearing lulu lemon.
https://twitter.com/MichaelDelZotto/...92279173836802

The players are getting ready for camp. If Bettman allows them to have camp on September 21. Gary is the lockout king.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Twitter at its finest.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:42 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I would plan on their not being any hockey.

That way when the delay to start the season happens you are expecting it

and when the season is perhaps cancelled you are also expecting it

If they somehow reach a deal (which I doubt at present) then you can have the happy feeling of surprise at seeing NHL hockey in October

otherwise there is plenty of exciting hockey in OHL,WHL, AHL, KHL, NCAA etc

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:08 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I hate to ve such a Debbie downer but if the league misses another season I may need to fid something else to devote my time and energy to. So unacceptable.

08-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I hate to ve such a Debbie downer but if the league misses another season I may need to fid something else to devote my time and energy to. So unacceptable.
boo hoo

a full season lockout is the only thing we need to worry about. a full season is terrible. half season or less benefits us.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
boo hoo

a full season lockout is the only thing we need to worry about. a full season is terrible. half season or less benefits us.
yeah pretty much...if they play this season, but its shortened, then the time Gabby misses is mitigated.

with that said, i dont want them to miss any time at all.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:12 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

A lockout-shortened season cheapens the championship, for me, anyway. Part of the feat of winning a championship is that you had to endure an 82-game season first. Even if a lockout season is in some ways more physically demanding because of a condensed schedule, that mental grind of 82 games, of having to stay focused for the long season...it isn't the same.

Of course, I won't be complaining if we have a short season and the Rangers win the Cup, but it won't feel quite as much like the "real deal" to me.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
boo hoo

It doesn't benefit anyone IMHO. Even if you want to play the Gabby card (which you can because it's a valid point) you lose half a season of Kreider with his new-ish team, ditto Nash and the rest of the new additions.

You lose a normal training camp, you lose pre-games and other valuable team building time.

It definitely hurts more than it helps. This is to say nothing of the overall damage it does to the game and the boredom of not having hockey until god knows when.

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
yeah pretty much...if they play this season, but its shortened, then the time Gabby misses is mitigated.

with that said, i dont want them to miss any time at all.
Also take into account Sauer, gives us a chance to have a fuller set on d if he comes back when the season starts in Novemeber/whenever. Even more so, the grinding style we play, if there is a lockout we would be one of the teams to benefit from it the most come playoff time.

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote