Id give Lucic a 'Hartnall Contract' right now

Old
08-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
wouldn`t shock me, and as much as I love the kid, no way in you know what I pay him that $$$ amount, Hartnell money is fair, Flyer fans would/will tell you he brings important intangeables to their team, and as much as I dislike Hartnell, hard to argue that with them
Would you (or anyone reading this) trade Lucic for Hartnell?

08-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Scotto74

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Not I

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:31 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Nope and I`ll say that the only reason why is I believe it`s a lateral move Bill, as much as I`m sure many here will disagree with me, they play similair styles. Hartnell is most definitely prone to pulling bush league garbage more often than Looch, but Looch takes alot of foolish/selfish penalties too.

If Hartnell were a Bruin, he`d be a fan fav(once the hatred of him playing for the Flyers subsided if it ever would), only stipulation would be to cut the hair, only room for one Mullet on this team

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:45 AM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
If he hits FA he will get over 6.
I would pack his bags for him. 6 Million is vulgar for what he produces.

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Is this a joke?

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Nope and I`ll say that the only reason why is I believe it`s a lateral move Bill, as much as I`m sure many here will disagree with me, they play similair styles. Hartnell is most definitely prone to pulling bush league garbage more often than Looch, but Looch takes alot of foolish/selfish penalties too.

If Hartnell were a Bruin, he`d be a fan fav(once the hatred of him playing for the Flyers subsided if it ever would), only stipulation would be to cut the hair, only room for one Mullet on this team
Oh I think Hartnell is a terrific player, and agree that if he were a Bruin, fans here would love him.

But IMO, Lucic is better than Hartnell (I'd never trade Looch for him), and as such deserves more money.

Bill Ladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:50 AM
EverettMike

29 other fanbases would lose their **** with excitement if they signed Lucic, even if the cap number started with a 6.

We see his flaws far more on this board than what he does well.

Oh, and has anyone remembered his age? He is going to mature. His ceiling has not been reached.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
Not I
Exactly.

If Lucic >> Hartnell is true.

Then Lucic's $$$ must also be >>> than Hartnell's $$$.

Ergo, Hartnell money is not "fair" for Lucic.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:54 AM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
29 other fanbases would lose their **** with excitement if they signed Lucic, even if the cap number started with a 6.

We see his flaws far more on this board than what he does well.

Oh, and has anyone remembered his age? He is going to mature. His ceiling has not been reached.
When he hits that level he can get paid at that level. Why don't we just sign Hamilton to 9 million now.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Scotto74

Quote:
Exactly.

all makes sense to me.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:09 AM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Exactly.

Not necessarily true. If one team overpays for a player, does that mean that if you have a player that is better you have to overpay as well?

There will always be teams that will pay too much due to their situation or just stupidity. Not saying that is the case here, but you can't just draw across the board conclusions like that. There are players not as good as DK that make more money, for instance. Also, just because a team out there WOULD pay a ridiculous amount for one of your guys, that doesn't mean you MUST pay the same. You have to take each situation individually and how it will benefit/hurt your whole team. There are teams that might pay Looch $7 million, who knows.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:12 AM
CanadianBruinsFan

While I think Lucic is more valuable going forward, he doesn't have a 37 goal season under his belt to bring with him to negotiations. He has very good offensive seasons and toughness and all that we love about him, but I don't see him getting over 5.5.

I see a 5/26.25 deal (5.25 per). And this is if the cap stays near where it is, which is up in the air at this point.

CanadianBruinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBruin View Post
Not necessarily true. If one team overpays for a player, does that mean that if you have a player that is better you have to overpay as well?

There will always be teams that will pay too much due to their situation or just stupidity. Not saying that is the case here, but you can't just draw across the board conclusions like that. There are players not as good as DK that make more money, for instance. Also, just because a team out there WOULD pay a ridiculous amount for one of your guys, that doesn't mean you MUST pay the same. You have to take each situation individually and how it will benefit/hurt your whole team. There are teams that might pay Looch $7 million, who knows.
I agree to a degree, but like you said, "the crazy contract" is not the case here. The Hartnell contract is fair. Lucic is better. Therefor Lucic should get more.

I never said that was the rule for every contract in the league. There are a handful of crazy contracts that are universally disregarded. Gomez, for example. But short of those (rare) extremes, I think most contracts do effect the market eventually. The guys who aren't as good as DK, and make more, will surely be the brought up when Bergeron and Krejci go back to the negotiating table. Just as guys who are better, but get paid less, will point at PB and DK as their starting off point.

Just look at last year, people jumped up and down over Laich and Cole getting $4.5 a piece. A year later, those "dumb" deals were the benchmark for guys like Ruutu and Hartnell.

Last edited by Bill Ladd: 08-21-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old
08-21-2012, 10:44 AM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
I agree to a degree, but like you said, "the crazy contract" is not the case here. The Hartnell contract is fair. Lucic is better. Therefor Lucic should get more.

I never said that was the rule for every contract in the league. There are a handful of crazy contracts that are universally disregarded. Gomez, for example. But short of those (rare) extremes, I think most contracts do effect the market eventually. The guys who aren't as good as DK, and make more, will surely be the brought up when Bergeron and Krejci go back to the negotiating table. Just as guys who are better, but get paid less, will point at PB and DK as their starting off point.

Just look at last year, people jumped up and down over Laich and Cole getting $4.5 a piece. A year later, those "dumb" deals were the benchmark for guys like Ruutu and Hartnell.
True, maybe I am struggling to come up with a good comparable for Looch. I don't see it as Hartnell. He is much older, doesn't have the physical game, better offensively but not by too much. Looch has intangibles, but the stats don't really scream at you. There is probably someone who is better to make the salary comparison with out there. Would I rather have Lucic? Of course, but much of that is because he is so much younger and has some room to improve. I don't see him being a Brett Hull, but if he could consistently put up 30 and start to become clutch in the playoffs I could see him being worth $6 mill+ at some point.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
No way. Can't stand Bozo

I hope the B's lock Looch up for at least 5 years.

08-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBruinsFan View Post
I see a 5/26.25 deal (5.25 per). And this is if the cap stays near where it is, which is up in the air at this point.
Sign me up for that

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Mancini0518

Lucic is the third priority for the Bruins next summer. I don't think he's going to get as much as people here think

Mancini0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:32 AM
BklyNBruiN
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I think he does.

If the Bruins let his contract run out and Lucic becomes a RFA i can see a team offer him upwards of 6m.

Imagine Lucic with Crosby, Lucic with the young kids in Edmonton, or imagine Lucic with the two Sedins. Lucic is about as rare a breed as there is in the NHL.

Bruins need to lock him up now. If he scores 30 again this season then 6m per is what he will demand....and what he'll get.
This.

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

IMO, Lucic contract will be closer to 6M than to 5M. And he's worth it.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:53 AM
BergyWho37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
5 yrs/ $5m per is 'fair' IF signed right now.

IF signed after this season is over, obviously will depend on what type of season #17 has.

Something tells me Lucic will retire a lifetime Bruin.
I'm with you and I believe with what's going on with loooch and his new found family he will want to get it done and over with ... Plus he gets treated like he's a hero in Boston why would anyone want to leave a place like that !!

I can almost guarantee it will be around the 5 mill mark unless he gets a 10 yr contract then I'd say closer to 6mill

YES others teams would pay more but that means nothing when a player loves where he is

BergyWho37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

I bet you Lucic has a relatively short contract for his next one. Hes a cornerstone of our franchise, but to say hes consistent and that I have zero worries about his health/physicality would just be ignorant.

I'd gladly give him a 3 year 16.5 million dollar extension right now, but id be wary of the Skinner type deals.

Just my opinion though.

Tim Vezina Thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyWho37 View Post
I'm with you and I believe with what's going on with loooch and his new found family he will want to get it done and over with ... Plus he gets treated like he's a hero in Boston why would anyone want to leave a place like that !!

I can almost guarantee it will be around the 5 mill mark unless he gets a 10 yr contract then I'd say closer to 6mill

YES others teams would pay more but that means nothing when a player loves where he is
If he gets a 10 yr contract the AAV wont go up itll go down because of the egregious number of years. Giving a long term deal to someone who hasnt shown complete 100% consistency and to someone who relies heavily on physicality would NOT be very prudent.

Tim Vezina Thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:27 PM
JOKER 192

lucic is a 60 point guy who's numbers get inflated playing on the first line.He does bring the intimidation factor along with that which is very important.He rarely loses a fight, even though he does tend to fight lesser opponents and seems to shy away from the real heavywieghts.In his defense he can put up points as opposed to most heavyweigt so the argument can be made that it wouldn't be unwise to get drawn into a penalty with a 4 minute game player.

Pound for pound he's one of the best fighters who has some offensive up side.It's for this reason I find it really hard to put a number to his worth,My guess is he'll get more than Hartnell but it shouldn't be much more if anything.

JOKER 192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:47 PM
SadStumpy

Chiarelli isn't going to give Lucic a 10 year contract. The longest contract he's handed out was what, 7 years for Savard and Chara? He already regrets one of those. It would be pretty silly to sign a player as physical and feisty as Lucic for double digit years.

Methinks he'll be signed for 5 years around Krejci territory...

SadStumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:53 PM
BergyWho37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
If he gets a 10 yr contract the AAV wont go up itll go down because of the egregious number of years. Giving a long term deal to someone who hasnt shown complete 100% consistency and to someone who relies heavily on physicality would NOT be very prudent.
I hear what your saying but I feel a bit different cause your getting more of his prime years

Consistency please I understand always wanting more but your basically saying he has no heart cause IMO that where it comes from OR Your saying players don't have slump's in this league.. 60pts and the punishment this guy goes through doing a lot of our dirty work .

Ask yourself this .. how would your body hold up after a year of being loooch ?

He is VERY rare dude ... look no further then Chara he has bad nights but we pay him cause he's rare too

BergyWho37 is offline   Reply With Quote