HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM] Taylor Hall signs seven year extension, $6m per

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2012, 09:58 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Clearly Tavares and Hall had a .75 PPG/A over their first two seasons. Is that speaking foolish enough for you?
That may be the case, but you also have to look at durability as well. I know that Hall's injuries have been of the fluke variety, but he has yet to play an entire season.

Tavares did the Isles a favor and gave them a discount. His contract did set the bar though and will increasingly look like a steal every year due to inflation. With the CBA looming, Hall's camp should be anxious to get a similar deal done.

I'd expect a 6-year deal with a $5-$6M AAV.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:00 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Jordan Eberle .81 PPG/A over 2 seasons
Taylor Hall .75 PPG/A over 2 seasons
John Tavares .83 PPG/A over 3 seasons

I'm not sure why its so appaling
Awesome stats there. And Hall/Eberle did it on the inferior team.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

To people who don't watch all of Halls games during the season, they don't know how valuable he is to the team.
The piston that drives the offense, creates chances with his speed, and yes he is too reckless which leads to his injuries, not to mention 75% of them are just bad luck.

But he had his shoulder repaired that had been bugging him since JUNIOR. So he should be better than ever and I expect a 75 game season from him.

Lock him up for 6x6 and let the haters mock it, cause it doesn't change how much we value him.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
That may be the case, but you also have to look at durability as well. I know that Hall's injuries have been of the fluke variety, but he has yet to play an entire season.

Tavares did the Isles a favor and gave them a discount. His contract did set the bar though and will increasingly look like a steal every year due to inflation. With the CBA looming, Hall's camp should be anxious to get a similar deal done.

I'd expect a 6-year deal with a $5-$6M AAV.
If its going to be a long term deal then Taylor Hall will get at LEAST what Skinner got, probably more. Not saying hes proven enough to get that, but you're paying for what you think Taylor Hall will be...a first line PPG forward.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
To people who don't watch all of Halls games during the season, they don't know how valuable he is to the team.
The piston that drives the offense, creates chances with his speed, and yes he is too reckless which leads to his injuries, not to mention 75% of them are just bad luck.

But he had his shoulder repaired that had been bugging him since JUNIOR. So he should be better than ever and I expect a 75 game season from him.

Lock him up for 6x6 and let the haters mock it, cause it doesn't change how much we value him.
What haters....? I'm pretty sure most if not all teams would take Taylor Hall at 6 for 6. Maybe I'm wrong tho.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:03 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Really spectacular news!

Old
08-21-2012, 10:05 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
When's he going to be the big man on campus with Bergeron, Chara, Lucic etc. still in place?
My question exactly.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:07 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Yeah agree. Tavares was a steal and everyone knew it. Pretending Hall is in the same class (at least in the short/medium term) is wild speculation and probably very foolish based on injuries alone, not to mention clearly inferior offensive production, skillset and upside.
How is Hall's offensive production clearly inferior to Tavares?
Their PPG was very similar through their first 2 seasons and yes, Hall did miss some time but he has played enough games in the first 2 seasons for PPG to be relevant.
I too think that Tavares has a higher ceiling than Hall but it's not by as much as you think it is, Hall is so incredibly underrated by non-Oiler fans.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:07 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Awesome stats there. And Hall/Eberle did it on the inferior team.
Sorry, but I don't think that argument holds any water. The Isles have been just as terrible as the Oilers have been the last several years.

If it weren't for the emergence of long shots such as Moulson/Parenteau/Grabner (to an extent) then the Isles would be giving the Oilers a run for the #1 overall picks.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Spitsfan67*

Hopefully Hallsy signs a long term contract 4 year at 5.7AAV is my guess....he's only going to get a lot better predicting a 30-35 Goal season and a 80-85 point season, this is if he stays healthy.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:11 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
If its going to be a long term deal then Taylor Hall will get at LEAST what Skinner got, probably more. Not saying hes proven enough to get that, but you're paying for what you think Taylor Hall will be...a first line PPG forward.
I'd have to agree with you. I'd have absolutely no problem giving Hall that contract. Teams are trying to lock down their young stars and Tavares' contract was the precedent for players of his ilk. I would think that RNH would be getting a very similar deal next offseason as well - as long as the new CBA doesn't change the salary cap landscape too much.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

I would be worried to give Hall a longterm deal at this point

Seems like guy who may struggle with his health in career

Old
08-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Clearly Tavares and Hall had a .75 PPG/A over their first two seasons. Is that speaking foolish enough for you?
The fact that Tavares was healthy and actually maintained those PPG numbers and turned Matt Moulson and PA Parenteau into productive NHLers means a hell of a lot more than a guy who plays a game that leaves him hurt 20 odd games a year so far and also plays second fiddle to Eberle.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
How is Hall's offensive production clearly inferior to Tavares?
Their PPG was very similar through their first 2 seasons and yes, Hall did miss some time but he has played enough games in the first 2 seasons for PPG to be relevant.
I too think that Tavares has a higher ceiling than Hall but it's not by as much as you think it is, Hall is so incredibly underrated by non-Oiler fans.
PPG is usually more meaningful when you talk about guys who didn't actually do it compared to a guy who stayed healthy and actually put up fantastic numbers.

I actually like Taylor Hall, I just don't think he's a Tavares.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Man Bear Pig

I never understand why these kids sign long-term deals so young. I get that there's always a risk that you may receive a career ending injury of some kind but if you wait a few years, a few years prior to becoming a free agent, you can cash in even more, bigtime. Makes complete sense from the teams standpoint, lockup a young superstar, hopefully buying out a few years of UFA status.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I'd have to agree with you. I'd have absolutely no problem giving Hall that contract. Teams are trying to lock down their young stars and Tavares' contract was the precedent for players of his ilk. I would think that RNH would be getting a very similar deal next offseason as well - as long as the new CBA doesn't change the salary cap landscape too much.
Its all about setting the market, and Skinner did that this offseason.

Its give and take. If Hall was signed before Skinner for 6.5 AAV then Skinner would be getting a larger contract then he received.

Seguin is harder to judge because of his sheltered first regular season, but his second one will likely mean the most (as it should). If Hall signs a 6 by 6, Seguin will likely get around the same.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:20 AM
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.

I'd give him 5 years at 5 million per season.

08-21-2012, 10:22 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I never understand why these kids sign long-term deals so young. I get that there's always a risk that you may receive a career ending injury of some kind but if you wait a few years, a few years prior to becoming a free agent, you can cash in even more, bigtime. Makes complete sense from the teams standpoint, lockup a young superstar, hopefully buying out a few years of UFA status.
All you really have to do is look at the difference between the contract (and negotiations) of Stamkos/Doughty as opposed to Tavares/Skinner. Consider what type of contract that Tavares would be signing today after his ELC expired.

Hall has proven that he's a fantastic talent and although he has been snake-bitten so far, he's going to be a big part of their future. The Oilers would be smart to lock him up now as opposed to waiting and watching him break out this season - to have another Stamkos situation on their hands. Hall is one of the faces of the franchise and that long term security ($5-$6M is no chump change) has got to be attractive to him.

Obviously, this really only applies to a handful of players which includes Hall at this current time.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I'd give him 5 years at 5 million per season.
And hed say absolutely not (if he wasn't taking a discount).

Old
08-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
What haters....? I'm pretty sure most if not all teams would take Taylor Hall at 6 for 6. Maybe I'm wrong tho.
Well it already began with buddy on the first page saying

6m... for Hall?

Like he was Linus Omark or something.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:27 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
PPG is usually more meaningful when you talk about guys who didn't actually do it compared to a guy who stayed healthy and actually put up fantastic numbers.

I actually like Taylor Hall, I just don't think he's a Tavares.
Well, 27 goals and 53 pts in 61 games (notably after 0 pts in his first 8 games) is pretty darn impressive for a sophomore. It's not like he played 30-40 games and put up impressive numbers.
I do agree though, Tavares is extremely special.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
Well it already began with buddy on the first page saying

6m... for Hall?

Like he was Linus Omark or something.
Haha well he probably doesnt understand A. the market and B. the potential of Taylor Hall. 6m at his point in time is wholly reasonable and a great deal for the Oilers. Hell, Hall could break out for 50 goals next year and ask for a Stamkos deal. If you think Hall is going to be what you drafted him to be, you give him the 6 without even thinking twice.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:34 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Its all about setting the market, and Skinner did that this offseason.

Its give and take. If Hall was signed before Skinner for 6.5 AAV then Skinner would be getting a larger contract then he received.

Seguin is harder to judge because of his sheltered first regular season, but his second one will likely mean the most (as it should). If Hall signs a 6 by 6, Seguin will likely get around the same.
Well, Hall and Seguin will always be mentioned together throughout their entire careers so it would be no surprise for both of them to get almost identical deals. All signs point to both of them continuing their progression and the 'Taylor vs. Tyler' debate will continue with as much vigor as it has up to this point.

With this news, Seguin's camp should be hoping that Hall can squeeze out as much money as possible because they'll be approaching the B's with the same contract.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Haha well he probably doesnt understand A. the market and B. the potential of Taylor Hall. 6m at his point in time is wholly reasonable and a great deal for the Oilers. Hell, Hall could break out for 50 goals next year and ask for a Stamkos deal. If you think Hall is going to be what you drafted him to be, you give him the 6 without even thinking twice.
Preaching to the choir!

Old
08-21-2012, 10:37 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Individually these contracts mean little. It's locking up the entire core that you will have to look at. Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov. 6 years 6M cap hit would be a good start.

Closed Thread