HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

August 2012: Scott Hartnell Signs Extension (6 years, $4.75m cap hit, limited NMC)

Old
08-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Displayname40

vCash: 500
Good for Hartsie! He went from a reduced role at the start of last season, to an AllStar , and now people are entertaining the idea of him wearing the C. A power forward who can do alot for a team. Quietly every line he goes to becomes the teams top line.

Displayname40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
The main boards' jokes are running dry..

first they milk the universe jokes, then they milk the 'in b4 traded after signing an extension with philly' jokes

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
Let's not forget that if there is a rollback, this deal looks even better.
Uhm, no it doesn't?

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:31 PM
The Couturier Effect

I thought he'd be gone with Simmond's new deal. I happily stand corrected. This is a great move.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Haute Couturier

Hartnell has a no movement clause with his new deals.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
Hartnell has a no movement clause with his new deals.
Yes... per Renaud Lavoie

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 06:59 PM
ninetynine*

Awhhh yeah!!!!!!!

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Looking at the breakdown that begins with $6M and then says at $5M the next three seasons before lowering to $4.5M and then ending at $3M in the last season... IMO you could say that with the most likely scenario of five year maximum contracts with strict guidelines his contract is more like $25.5M for five seasons -- which would have been given him with the new proposed guideline -- so, $5.1M... and it is not unreasonable to suggest he could get a $3M contract as a 37 year old that may have greatly declined in production.

Even on an Open Market next season a $5.1M (adjusted for new CBA Givebacks)... unless he has a super season... is a fair contract, and he gets to play in the City and on the Team he wants to play... plus he has a NMC. He now also has no concern about the rules negotiating in the Next CBA.

Providing he produces as he is capable of doing, I see the contract as being fair on both sides... no matter how spun.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 08-20-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old
08-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

Good signing at a good price. Hartnelldown

Schenn Bros Pizza* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Ah, the man everyone hates but secretly wishes was on their team.. Yeah he's a dick on the ice but you can tell he's a good guy.. He was very fair to the Devils after our series, giving us credit and giving Marty respect

I'm undecided on this.. He did a fantastic job getting space on the PP so that the good Flyers passing (namely Giroux) could thread him the puck.. But he really can't skate and I really didn't think much of him (skill wise) before last season.. I'd say if he keeps up his play then this is a good deal, but if he can't keep his mojo then ouch that's a lotta cap imo

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
Ah, the man everyone hates but secretly wishes was on their team.. Yeah he's a dick on the ice but you can tell he's a good guy.. He was very fair to the Devils after our series, giving us credit and giving Marty respect

I'm undecided on this.. He did a fantastic job getting space on the PP so that the good Flyers passing (namely Giroux) could thread him the puck.. But he really can't skate and I really didn't think much of him (skill wise) before last season.. I'd say if he keeps up his play then this is a good deal, but if he can't keep his mojo then ouch that's a lotta cap imo

While last season may have been his best point-wise, it certainly was no aberration from how he's played in that past... Jagr and Giroux was a major factor, but Harnell has made every line he was on as a Flyer a better one... Hartnell is Harnell, with all his faults and in all his glory... He was with cater and Lupul and they were on a torrid pace for a while until Lupul got injured and he was with Briere and Leino when they had that great run in the Cup Final season and the next full season... I don't see it as mere coincidence that every hot Flyers line that is more than a fash in the pan has him firmly at wing.

Hartnell may never get high 30s goals again... yet he may get 40+... no matter, he will play his game and what you saw last season was basically his game. That said I have seen him add to it and improve with age and smarts. He is a crease crashing dirty power-forward with decent hands and can get dirty goals... He is a team player and does whatever he believes he must do... and I believe he has limited his bad judgement occasions and his trips to the box.

... As long as he continues to play his game, I'm happy with his Cap hit.

Old
08-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Damaged Goods

This is a significantly lower number than he could have gotten on the open market. Another strong extension.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:36 PM
BernieParent

I likes this contract. Glad Hartnell will be in Philly for the foreseeable future. Maybe with this extended contract, Holmgren takes a shot at dealing for his twin brothers:

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Devastate

effing awesome! Glad to hear it.

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:15 PM
healthyscratch

Homer gettin 'er done. Another for an extension.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Hope he doesn't go bald by then. lol

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:40 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
solid deal. maybe 2 years too long, but I wont complain due to the cap hit.
I expected the NMC.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:41 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Weeee!

Like this signing.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:54 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displayname40 View Post
Good for Hartsie! He went from a reduced role at the start of last season, to an AllStar , and now people are entertaining the idea of him wearing the C. A power forward who can do alot for a team. Quietly every line he goes to becomes the teams top line.
My thoughts exactly.

Loves me some Hartnell. He's a great player, and I find his clumsiness hilarious and endearing.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:51 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I'm not a fan of the 6 years or the NMC, but at $4.75 it shouldn't be a big deal down the road unless there's a significant rollback to the cap.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:32 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I'm not a fan of the 6 years or the NMC, but at $4.75 it shouldn't be a big deal down the road unless there's a significant rollback to the cap.
The reason the cap hit is low is because of the length and the NMC. The contract doesn't start till next year which means he's playing under the new contract from 30 to 36 years of age. If he ages slowly, life is good.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The reason the cap hit is low is because of the length and the NMC. The contract doesn't start till next year which means he's playing under the new contract from 30 to 36 years of age. If he ages slowly, life is good.
The extra years lowered the cap hit, the movement clause might have as well, but it's also likely that he wanted one because everyone gets traded.

I'm not usually a fan of longer contracts for older players, but the cap hit is definitely low enough to make this a good deal. I would have been fine paying more in terms of cap dollars to not have the contract hamper the team in 4 years. I don't think that will be the case here though unless the cap starts shrinking.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:37 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Uhm, no it doesn't?
We're not just locking up players, we have to figure that when they get onto the other side of 35 their play will start to decline. He's going to be in his late 30's when the contract is over and not knowing how his skill set will be in 5 years I would rather pay less for his services. The new cap hit is reasonable, but saving some cap is always a benefit. I don't want a lock out or a roll back or the cap to go down, but if it does his deal will be cheaper which is only a benefit (unless of course he gets traded before his new contract kicks in). Even without a rollback to salary the signing makes sense especially if you consider him to be the next possible captain at a reasonable cap hit as well as his skill set. Besides I can't be the only one feeling that salary roll backs and contract length limits are playing a factor in Homer throwing out 6 year deals at these prices.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:39 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Timmeh has it as a limited NMC:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...167&feedID=704

Quote:
Not everyone is happy with Scott Hartnell’s new six-year, $28.5 million contract extension.

Some agents feel he sold himself well short of pending free agency after the 2012-13 season.

“Everyone is asking what the [bleep] he just did,” said one agent.

Hartnell’s cap hit will rise slightly from $4.2 million to $4.75 million in 2013-14. He obviously took less money now for a long-term guarantee. Under the present CBA, all contracts are guaranteed.

He also got a limited no-movement clause, which is no small matter for any player in his late 30s, which he will be at the end of this deal.

Yet he could have gotten at least $5.5 million and likely more in free agency next summer with a decent year.

As a player rep, who is part of the negotiating committee on the next CBA, you can imagine his fellow members of the NHLPA probably aren’t too happy, either.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:06 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I likes this contract. Glad Hartnell will be in Philly for the foreseeable future. Maybe with this extended contract, Holmgren takes a shot at dealing for his twin brothers:

are you serious?

no thanks to the powder puff twins

I don't care how many points they put up, you'll never win a cup with these two as the (ugly) faces of your franchise

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote