HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Detroit Red Wings Prospect #13

View Poll Results: Who is #13?
Adam Almqvist 2 2.63%
Joakim Andersson 19 25.00%
Andreas Athanasiou 1 1.32%
Louis-Marc Aubry 3 3.95%
Mattias Bäckman 1 1.32%
Landon Ferraro 2 2.63%
Nick Jensen 27 35.53%
Brian Lashoff 0 0%
Alexei Marchenko 19 25.00%
Alan Quine 2 2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-19-2012, 06:57 AM
ChadS

vCash: 500
Next year if Marchenko has a healthy season and comes over, he'll likely pass Jensen. But right now there are so many questionmarks that I give Jensen the edge.

Add Callahan.

Last edited by ChadS: 08-19-2012 at 09:36 AM.
ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:39 AM
InjuredChoker

Jensen, like fourth time in a row.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:07 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
Until I actually watch Marchenko or Jensen play, I have to go with the guy who's practically on the top of the call-up list. Andersson.
I've seen Andersson play and I probably will not vote for him at any point in this process. I don't see anything worth getting excited about. I'll take Jensen's potential over Andersson as a 14th-forward "finished product".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Marchenko is so much better than some of the guys in front of him that our poll is getting absurd.

Jensen? 22 years old before the season is starting and he's headed back to college.

I also rank LM Aubrey ahead of Andersson. While Andersson is closer and probably has more skill, Aubry is the better skater and plays with the kind of intensity you want on line 4.
I don't see why Marchenko is the new flavor of the month. He's had a lot of injury problems and while he's produced against juniors in limited action, he's got very little time in at the KHL level.

The injury issue is a huge one for this guy. He's had his spleen removed and he's had a major knee injury. Those are two injuries that can have a serious impact on his career. I'm not buying any time soon.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:46 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I've seen Andersson play and I probably will not vote for him at any point in this process. I don't see anything worth getting excited about. I'll take Jensen's potential over Andersson as a 14th-forward "finished product".

I don't see why Marchenko is the new flavor of the month. He's had a lot of injury problems and while he's produced against juniors in limited action, he's got very little time in at the KHL level.

The injury issue is a huge one for this guy. He's had his spleen removed and he's had a major knee injury. Those are two injuries that can have a serious impact on his career. I'm not buying any time soon.
Marchenko has been highly rated for a long time. You're barking up the wrong tree with your "flavor of the month" comment.

Guy was supposed to be captain of the Russian WJC team last year. He's a highly though-of hockey player who has expressed interest in coming to North America.

In my estimation, he might be our second best prospect behind Smith on defense. I only downgrade him because of his injury history.

But injury history didn't stop us from going with Frk a couple picks ago.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 12:49 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
With 29 games played in the K the last 2 seasons its no surprise that Marchenko isnt getting votes over Jensen, who has a very legit claim to this spot and is doing great in the NCAA
29 games as a 20 year old in the KHL -- the second best hockey league in the world.

vs 22 year old in college doing well against younger players?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:56 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
29 games as a 20 year old in the KHL -- the second best hockey league in the world.

vs 22 year old in college doing well against younger players?
A guy who was passed over in his first draft and taken in the 7th in his second, only to have a couple of injury filled seasons since being drafted.

vs a 22 year old who is doing very well in the NCAA and putting up very good numbers, while having aphysical edge and possibly being our best skating prospect.

How many times have you seen Marchenko play just curious?

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:04 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
A guy who was passed over in his first draft and taken in the 7th in his second, only to have a couple of injury filled seasons since being drafted.

vs a 22 year old who is doing very well in the NCAA and putting up very good numbers, while having aphysical edge and possibly being our best skating prospect.

More curious in how many times he has seen Jensen play by his comments?

I have seen Marchenko online a couple of times there is a lot to like. Have no problem with people being high on him. I am high on him, but Jensen has that one stand out tool. His skating it really is that good in my opinion. It is an elite level tool and it helps his talent and he is growing into a player that helps use it to better all aspects of his game.

Dropping as a Russian guy is no surprise. His draft year was the spleen issue and the next year he was an overage Russian player. If they don't like Russians in their draft year overagers take an even larger hit. It was a great value pick in my opinion and while I don't buy the Vladdy comparisons some have thrown out, he does remind me of Emelin who just came over. He is a very solid player. You don't have to dislike either to like the other that is what surprises me about this argument. Marchenko if he can stay healthy is a dynamite idea, but there is almost no chance of him coming over despite what he has said if the ELC rules change as the Owners have asked in the next CBA.

I could see both these guys making it and in a big way. I just think Jensen's skating is fascinating because it is legit in a huge way. That and smooth skating college d-man seem to transition really well into the NHL and pro game. When you couple that with his age and the steps in his game he is going to come into the pro game very advanced and with a skill set he can rely on. Very excited to see if he can get in the Hobey Baker conversation because that would be huge for his confidence and maybe get people thinking of him in a more elite way, because he has an elite skill set.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Nick Jensen

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:36 AM
solo16

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Next year if Marchenko has a healthy season and comes over, he'll likely pass Jensen. But right now there are so many questionmarks that I give Jensen the edge.

Add Callahan.
If he does that hes a top 5 prospect. 13 is right where he belongs. Some downward pressure for experience, injuries and the russian factor.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Rzombo4 prez

I went with Jensen, who I have been very impressed with the last two seasons. I like the way that he has developed since draft day and think that he could move through the AHL ranks rather quickly. Marchenko could certainly turn out to be the better player, but I think we need to see more of him to make a really honest assessment of where his development is at. I can't see Andersson ever really sticking with the big club given the current depth in the organization and Sheahan.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:49 AM
joe89

Quote:

I guess you can pretty much make cases for all these guys.

Example: Backman was a top4 defenseman on the WJC gold team, and led his team to the Swedish J20 championship while playing a regular shift in a men's league the whole season. He's got the frame and skating. He's well in the mix with these guys too.

I see no certainty with any of them, but they all show promise in their own way. Pretty nice to have NHL hopefuls this far down the list.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Example: Backman was a top4 defenseman on the WJC gold team, and led his team to the Swedish J20 championship while playing a regular shift in a men's league the whole season. He's got the frame and skating. He's well in the mix with these guys too.
Yeah, I am strongly considering going with Backman with my next pick. I should vote Andersson as I think he'll be a good bottom 6 NHL player but Backman simply has too much upside at this point.

Harnessed in Slums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Marky9er

I went with Ferraro even though I knew it was a wasted vote. I think his speed gives him a real edge, hopefully the injuries are behind him and he can reach the next level. I wasn't a fan of the pick at the time, and I'm still mad about it....but I think he could pan out pretty decent.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Soft Rock Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
I went with Ferraro even though I knew it was a wasted vote. I think his speed gives him a real edge, hopefully the injuries are behind him and he can reach the next level. I wasn't a fan of the pick at the time, and I'm still mad about it....but I think he could pan out pretty decent.
ryan o'reilly will always torture me

Soft Rock Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 05:26 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatter View Post
ryan o'reilly will always torture me
That is very hindsight in my opinion. I got to watch his big brother quite a bit in Milwaukee and he was more hyped. I didn't think he would be better than Cal at the time and Cal is a fringe NHL player. Nothing about Ryan suggested he was that good defensively and would be ready this young to be a contributor. I think that was a team meets the perfect player scenario. He wouldn't be playing for the Wings if they drafted him there as hard as that is to say. He would just now be forcing his way into the discussion. A very surprising player, just like Mike Richards in Philly. I don't question his star status, I just can say I understand why a lot of people didn't see it coming to this extent.

Ferraro had a good year last year. He restored a lot of my hope. He won't be Ryan O'Reilly but fortunately I no longer think he won't crack the NHL. Could really see Landon becoming one of those bottom six guys that thrives in the playoffs with his speed and throws in the big goal from time to time. A really nice player that is a whole lot more than just offense now, he gets it and looks better as a pro in my opinion. Made huge adjustments to his game and can play both wing and center.

Old
08-20-2012, 06:15 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

With a half hour left Jensen has enough of a lead to call this round. Callahan will be the add.

Old
08-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Soft Rock Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
That is very hindsight in my opinion. I got to watch his big brother quite a bit in Milwaukee and he was more hyped. I didn't think he would be better than Cal at the time and Cal is a fringe NHL player. Nothing about Ryan suggested he was that good defensively and would be ready this young to be a contributor. I think that was a team meets the perfect player scenario. He wouldn't be playing for the Wings if they drafted him there as hard as that is to say. He would just now be forcing his way into the discussion. A very surprising player, just like Mike Richards in Philly. I don't question his star status, I just can say I understand why a lot of people didn't see it coming to this extent.

Ferraro had a good year last year. He restored a lot of my hope. He won't be Ryan O'Reilly but fortunately I no longer think he won't crack the NHL. Could really see Landon becoming one of those bottom six guys that thrives in the playoffs with his speed and throws in the big goal from time to time. A really nice player that is a whole lot more than just offense now, he gets it and looks better as a pro in my opinion. Made huge adjustments to his game and can play both wing and center.
its definitely hindsight. i too wonder if o'reilly would even be in our lineup yet, which scares me. but look at smith who was a year ahead of gardner and mcdonagh at UW and its not hard to believe it.

any idea where hakan was during the 09 draft? would have loved silfverberg with that first pick too. and fournier was taken over ekholm, kruger slipped to the late rounds. all hakan took home was almqvist.

hows that for hindsight?

i was happy with ferraro's progression last year too though and think he'll play in the league (maybe even on the wings if we ever clear room in our bottom 6). thought he actually looked great in the preseason last year. he could probably play well in colorados bottom 6 this year

Soft Rock Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Marky9er

I wanted us to draft O'Reilly before the draft. So for me, that is not hindsight. O'Reilly already had the tag "Captain Canada" back then, he was pretty impressive and definitely on our annual wishlist. I agree though, he probably wouldn't have made his NHL debut yet if we drafted him. In hindsight, I'd really have liked Despres tbh.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote