HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Play the role of GM; Would you lock up our 2013 RFA now?

Old
08-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting13 View Post
1. Yes you don't have to have 23 players but the Jets did all year.
2. We have to sign someone extra because we only have 6 D right now listed on the
cap. If you add Meech and Redmond another 1.5 million.
3. If Scheifele takes Cormier's place add another 750,000
4. Burmi will be do a raise as well.

We might not go over the cap depending what it is and you have to remember that
they are looking to make the contracts count fully each year not defering over
the life of the contract.

If you add the new Wheeler, Little and Bogo numbers with extra for Enstrom and Kane
you add $14 million to the 50.9 we have already plus add two more D and you sit
around 66-68 million depending on the Hainsey and Antro and Burmi contracts.

True North said we would not be a top of the cap team, more bottom third.
So I doubt this is doable.
1. Any extra players will likely be at a low cost. Typically under $1 mil.
2. It's actually 7 D. Capgeek has Postma sitting in the minors and with his new one-way contract and the fact he is waiver eligible, he'll either be on the Jets or on another NHL team. His cap hit is $550,000. Edit: Just checked again and they moved Postma up today. Plus once Kane and Machacek sign that gets you to 23.
3. Correct and still a likely possibility.
4. Unless Burmi blows everyone away this year (or the CBA changes contract length rules) I see them only giving him one of those bridge contracts of about 2 years for 2-3 mil. Not a substantial increase from what he's already making.

As for Hainsey and Antropov. Resigning or replacing them shouldn't be too expensive. An Antropov replacement will easily come under 3 mil. Likely more in the area of what Ponikarovsky got. A Hainsey replacement would be under 4 mil. Unless we manage to sign a very significant FA for the top 4.

I agree that the spending will go up, but I don't see it being overly substantial. Hainsey's and Antropov's money can essentially cover the raises for Wheeler, Bogosian, and Little. While as I stated the replacements won't have a substantial price.

Not to mention they've done some savvy signings, like Jokinen, whose two-year deal is pretty perfect for the club.

I just don't really foresee any monetary issues.

Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 04:02 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I like to add that with the hiring of Jokinen, this will reduce the workforce on Little but also a lot of the leverage he has.
Little will probably be on the 2nd PP unit now and perhaps getting less offensive primetime, which can result in less of a contract than most would of considered him for the begining of the offseason this year.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 06:59 PM
sully1410

Bogosian yes...wheeler no. I'd want to see if he repeats this season before I sign him to a big contract. I really don't see the RFA requirements being decreased at all. If anything they'll either stay the same or extend a bit.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:55 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I like to add that with the hiring of Jokinen, this will reduce the workforce on Little but also a lot of the leverage he has.
Little will probably be on the 2nd PP unit now and perhaps getting less offensive primetime, which can result in less of a contract than most would of considered him for the begining of the offseason this year.
I could easily see that happening. If Chevy can find a way to lock up Little $3.5 - 4 Mill a year, I will be very happy.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Huffer

With the recent extensions for Simmonds and Hartnell, I wonder if TNSE has debated going this path as well.

Those two contracts should also bring down Guerzy's numbers on page 1 I would think.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:19 AM
JMT21

I'd try to sign Bogo ASAP.... he has all the makings of top 10 - 15 d-man in this league.

Wheeler should be next --- with Kane-Wheeler-Ollie I think we finally have a true #1 line.

We can afford to wait with Little & Burmi.

I know everyone's pretty pumped about Scheifele but I'm predicting Telegin will be a superstar for us in about 3-4 years.

JMT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT21 View Post
I'd try to sign Bogo ASAP.... he has all the makings of top 10 - 15 d-man in this league.

Wheeler should be next --- with Kane-Wheeler-Ollie I think we finally have a true #1 line.

We can afford to wait with Little & Burmi.

I know everyone's pretty pumped about Scheifele but I'm predicting Telegin will be a superstar for us in about 3-4 years.
I hope you're right.

The thing that worries me about Telegin is when things aren't going well, he seems to just go through the motions and not fight through the tough times. I haven't seen his 'will to succeed' be as high as i'd like from him.

Skill, size and speed will only get you so far, and he'll have to fight through checks and want to make a difference night in and night out to be a star.

I hope a year in St. John's, playing pro, will bring the best out of him. He has the potential, but i suggest he needs a bit more in the drive department.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:08 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
With the recent extensions for Simmonds and Hartnell, I wonder if TNSE has debated going this path as well.

Those two contracts should also bring down Guerzy's numbers on page 1 I would think.
I think it would bring down Wheeler's and Little's numbers down, though IMO 5.4 M seemed a bit high for Wheeler. It would be hard to argue he is worth more than Hartnell. I also think they can get Little for less than 4.5 M per.

I don't know if it would impact Bogo's numbers as it is not a good comparable. As much as I would like to see it happen I don't think the Jets could get Bogo to sign a 6 year extention, bringing him to age 29, and using up 4 years of UFA for a 5M cap hit. IMO Bogo's the guy they need to bite the bullet on and trust that he will develop they way you hope/need.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Bob E

Hard to know where these guys fall.

Is Wheeler going to be a consistent 65++ pt player (20+g/45+a) or more? Or is he a consistent 50+ pt player (15+g/35+a) or less? I wouldn't pay him as much as Kane, right now - as Kane appears to be a goal scorer. To me, he'd be slighty under $5 mill/yr, right now. Maybe a $24 mill/5 yr deal. But if he scores 70+ pts (with 20+ goals) this year, he'll be seen as a consistent point producer and should get between $5.5 and $6 mill on a long-term deal.

Kane is an emerging goal scoring, power forward. I think his value is very high in today's NHL. His age, 30 g, and consistent improvement likely makes him a $5+ mill/yr player. I would be very surprised if TNSE can sign him under $30 mill/6 yrs. The signing stall is likely Kane wanting $32+ mill and TNSE offering $28+ mill. Each side is waiting for the other to blink. I think Kane waits it out and TNSE signs him to just over $30 mill.

Little is a tough one. He has the ability to be a 55+ pt scorer (25+g/30a), but hasn't put it consistently together just yet. I'd be inclined to give him a deal in the $17 mill/4 yr range, as i think he'll push for between 20 and 30 goals each year.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:45 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Hard to know where these guys fall.

Is Wheeler going to be a consistent 65++ pt player (20+g/45+a) or more? Or is he a consistent 50+ pt player (15+g/35+a) or less? I wouldn't pay him as much as Kane, right now - as Kane appears to be a goal scorer. To me, he'd be slighty under $5 mill/yr, right now. Maybe a $24 mill/5 yr deal. But if he scores 70+ pts (with 20+ goals) this year, he'll be seen as a consistent point producer and should get between $5.5 and $6 mill on a long-term deal.

Kane is an emerging goal scoring, power forward. I think his value is very high in today's NHL. His age, 30 g, and consistent improvement likely makes him a $5+ mill/yr player. I would be very surprised if TNSE can sign him under $30 mill/6 yrs. The signing stall is likely Kane wanting $32+ mill and TNSE offering $28+ mill. Each side is waiting for the other to blink. I think Kane waits it out and TNSE signs him to just over $30 mill.

Little is a tough one. He has the ability to be a 55+ pt scorer (25+g/30a), but hasn't put it consistently together just yet. I'd be inclined to give him a deal in the $17 mill/4 yr range, as i think he'll push for between 20 and 30 goals each year.
Good post Bob you left out Bogosian.....thoughts?

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote