HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM] Taylor Hall signs seven year extension, $6m per

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Lion

vCash: 500
Hope Ebs and Hall sign for 5.75M for 8 years.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:39 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Tavares contract is just.... stupid

He's making 4m this season.

I think 6x6.2

Old
08-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
I am hoping for a 3 yr extension so he remains a RFA at the end of it.

3yrs x 5M

edit: or a 8yr deal @ 50M (6.25M\)

Old
08-21-2012, 11:40 AM
TOML

I guess Hall's the guy they have to keep, since he stole K-Lo's number and all...

TOML

Old
08-21-2012, 11:42 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Individually these contracts mean little. It's locking up the entire core that you will have to look at. Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov. 6 years 6M cap hit would be a good start.
That's a good point. The kids and their representatives are not stupid, they're all very aware that their futures are interconnected and it's in their best interest to keep this core intact for as long as possible. Hall's contract is going to be the benchmark for all of them (excluding Yakupov - sorry, he hasn't played a single game yet and shouldn't even be mentioned here) and I would think they'd all agree to similar deals when time comes.

I don't know what's going on with Eberle's contract status, but he must be monitoring this with great interest.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
So theyd do identical money (to Skinner) but take up two more UFA years? Not gonna happen. If the Oil want an 8 year deal theyd have to pony up more cash, thats how it works.

Only way I could see Hall getting less money AAV wise right now is if he signs right up to his UFA year, which would NOT be in the Oils best interest.

I think 6 by 6 makes the most sense for both parties involved.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
That's a good point. The kids and their representatives are not stupid, they're all very aware that their futures are interconnected and it's in their best interest to keep this core intact for as long as possible. Hall's contract is going to be the benchmark for all of them (excluding Yakupov - sorry, he hasn't played a single game yet and shouldn't even be mentioned here) and I would think they'd all agree to similar deals when time comes.

I don't know what's going on with Eberle's contract status, but he must be monitoring this with great interest.
Exactly. It also gives the Oilers the cost certainty they need going forward. From there they will have a much better idea of what to spend on whom.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Hemsky4PM

I bet tern and money are very close and the issues they are working on are structure and breakdown of when the cash is distributed.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:54 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
If the Oilers can lock up Hall and Eberle for 6 years at <= $6 million and RNH/Yakupov sign similar deals coming out of their ELCs, I'll be thrilled.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:57 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

In before "Hall ingery pronne!!!".

Seriously, Hall is severely undervalued in these forums. He had a better rookie season than any of the big stars, Stamkos, Tavares, etc. And a better first two seasons that Tavares, Seguin, Skinner, Duchene, etc etc etc (PPG and QOC).

Both seasons ended early. First season he feel awkwardly during a fight with a goon. This season - legitimate hockey injury. You can't hold the fight against him, it was a fluke! He also missed games this season due to getting kicked in the face by a skate in warmup! How the hell do you hold that against him? Three injuries in his first two seasons, only one could be attributed to 'allegedly being injury prone'.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsands View Post

Seriously, Hall is severely undervalued in these forums. He had a better rookie season than any of the big stars, Stamkos, Tavares, etc. And a better first two seasons that Tavares, Seguin, Skinner, Duchene, etc etc etc (PPG and QOC).

Both seasons ended early. First season he feel awkwardly during a fight with a goon. This season - legitimate hockey injury. You can't hold the fight against him, it was a fluke! He also missed games this season due to getting kicked in the face by a skate in warmup! How the hell do you hold that against him? Three injuries in his first two seasons, only one could be attributed to 'allegedly being injury prone'.
His shoulder tear goes back to junior as well. He aggrevated it last year but the primary injury was two years old.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I never understand why these kids sign long-term deals so young. I get that there's always a risk that you may receive a career ending injury of some kind but if you wait a few years, a few years prior to becoming a free agent, you can cash in even more, bigtime. Makes complete sense from the teams standpoint, lockup a young superstar, hopefully buying out a few years of UFA status.
With a cloudy picture of what the new CBA is going to include, I can understand the kids trying to lock themselves up.

Also when talking about $$$ these kids are looking at, security is probably worth losing a few millon over.

08-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:

He gets that reputation from skating with his head down across bluelines and reaching to poke pucks while going into corners. He plays a reckless style that can lead to injuries (has already). No one is picking on Hall, he needs to keep his head up and that's a fact.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
First season he feel awkwardly during a fight with a goon.
Huh. Didn't hear about that. Must have been after his ill-conceived pounce on Dorsett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
He gets that reputation from skating with his head down across bluelines and reaching to poke pucks while going into corners. He plays a reckless style that can lead to injuries (has already). No one is picking on Hall, he needs to keep his head up and that's a fact.
This. At the time he was drafted we (a few Jackets fans hanging out together) started some idle speculation on who would have the better career - Hall or Seguin. The consensus was Seguin - not because he's inherently better, but because we were fairly sure Hall (in terms of talent and injury issues) stood a good chance of being Lindros 2.0.

So far we've got the games played down pat to an eerie level - Hall had 65 and 61 games, while Lindros had 61 and 65. Lindros scored considerably more tho.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!

Last edited by Viqsi: 08-21-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old
08-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Wouldn't 6 years take him to exactly UFA?

Wouldn't 5 years be better?

Old
08-21-2012, 02:15 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

This. At the time he was drafted we (a few Jackets fans hanging out together) started some idle speculation on who would have the better career - Hall or Seguin. The consensus was Seguin - not because he's inherently better, but because we were fairly sure Hall (in terms of talent and injury issues) stood a good chance of being Lindros 2.0.

So far we've got the games played down pat to an eerie level - Hall had 65 and 61 games, while Lindros had 61 and 65. Lindros scored considerably more tho.
You know how you get unbelievably annoyed (which is A LOT) when somebody spews nonsense about Jackets players/prospects. Well, such is the case here with you about Hall.
Lindros suffered from concussions. The only non-fluke injury that Hall has had in his entire career is a shoulder injury that he has been playing through since his junior days so before rambling on about how Hall is the next Lindros, maybe check into your facts next time.
I do agree that Hall needs to alter his style a bit, i'm sure that he will as he gains maturity.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:26 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
You know how you get unbelievably annoyed (which is A LOT) when somebody spews nonsense about Jackets players/prospects. Well, such is the case here with you about Hall.
Lindros suffered from concussions. The only non-fluke injury that Hall has had in his entire career is a shoulder injury that he has been playing through since his junior days so before rambling on about how Hall is the next Lindros, maybe check into your facts next time.
I do agree that Hall needs to alter his style a bit, i'm sure that he will as he gains maturity.
This. I was just about to post this.

Not all injuries are created equally, and Lindros suffered from multiple concussions from being hit in the head. Hall has had three injuries to make him miss ~40 games:

1. Freak fight injury
2. Kicked in the head with a skate
3. Aggravation to pre-existing shoulder injury

I agree he has a hard nosed style, but to compare him to Lindros is absurd. To further compare them based on the # of games missed in the first two seasons is asinine.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Chayos

I would say If we can get all of the big 4 signed in the 6.6.5 range long term we are set going forward.

No offense to other posters, but you people are insane saying 6 million for Hall is to high.

The cap will likely end up in the 60 million range, to start and should continue to grow. If it grows at teh current rate each of those contracts will be be worth 7% less against the cap each year of the contract. This is unreasonable gorwth, but even if they were to shrink by 5% of the contract each year on a 6 year deal they would be the same at $4.2-4.7 million by todays dollars in the last year of the deal.

There is also the chance of a hometown discount from the big 4 so we can keep the team together.

Anyone who see's hall at $6.0m for 6 years and says thats a bad deal need only go look at the Toews, Kane, Getzlaf and perry deals to see how well those deals worked out by todays standards.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:42 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Courtesy Copper N Blue's analysis

Cap hit for the top four highest paid forwards per team. If the Oilers lock them all up at 6 mill x 4 players a season, that is 24 million per year. Puts them 6th or 7th in the league for top-four fowards total cap hit. If they earn it, that is a nice problem to have. Yak and Hall ripping up 30G seasons, Eberle and Nuge sitting at 75+ points per...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
I would say If we can get all of the big 4 signed in the 6.6.5 range long term we are set going forward.

No offense to other posters, but you people are insane saying 6 million for Hall is to high.

The cap will likely end up in the 60 million range, to start and should continue to grow. If it grows at teh current rate each of those contracts will be be worth 7% less against the cap each year of the contract. This is unreasonable gorwth, but even if they were to shrink by 5% of the contract each year on a 6 year deal they would be the same at $4.2-4.7 million by todays dollars in the last year of the deal.

There is also the chance of a hometown discount from the big 4 so we can keep the team together.

Anyone who see's hall at $6.0m for 6 years and says thats a bad deal need only go look at the Toews, Kane, Getzlaf and perry deals to see how well those deals worked out by todays standards.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Perro

Not sure about anyone else but I am very interested in the length he signs for more than the $$ value.
People have been talking about him moving out of Edmonton at first chance. We'll see if this will be put to bed.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:46 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Awesome stats there. And Hall/Eberle did it on the inferior team.
Tavares was playing with Matt Moulson and PA Parenteau. Hall was playing with Eberle and RNH.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:51 PM
BattleGuy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
That may be the case, but you also have to look at durability as well. I know that Hall's injuries have been of the fluke variety, but he has yet to play an entire season.

Tavares did the Isles a favor and gave them a discount. His contract did set the bar though and will increasingly look like a steal every year due to inflation. With the CBA looming, Hall's camp should be anxious to get a similar deal done.

I'd expect a 6-year deal with a $5-$6M AAV.
Are you suggesting that Tavares would have been ok if Ladi Smid jumped on his head while wearing skates?

Old
08-21-2012, 02:51 PM
IBleedOil247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Not sure about anyone else but I am very interested in the length he signs for more than the $$ value.
People have been talking about him moving out of Edmonton at first chance. We'll see if this will be put to bed.
Find me anything that states this as fact......

Old
08-21-2012, 03:10 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Not trying to derail the thread or anything but if he gets 6x6 after 2 hortened seasons then what does Yakupov get if he doesnt have 2 shortened seasons?

Or Eberle after a PPG season?

They are going to be paying 4 guys over 6 mil on offense all on their second contracts. **** is going to get nuts.
If Yak ends up being as good as reported we will probably have 4 guys on long term contracts all making 6+. But that is only (only hahaha) 24 mil a year. By the time it happens we will have dropped or be about to drop Horcoff and The "used to be Bulin wall" will be gone so we wont have cap issues. Those 2 are approx 10 mil cap hit.

Old
08-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
haha Oh ya.. "Those" people.

Closed Thread