HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2012-2013 Season III

Old
08-21-2012, 08:15 AM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
So does anyone have any faith that there will be no work stoppage at all? Seems like most of you guys are rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
I think there will be a lockout, the question is for how long?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Dude has cracked the 30 goal mark 2x as a Flyer....the deal is bad not because of the money but because it will pay him 4.75 until he is 36-37 years old.
Exactly. Fartsmell is money and is the exact type of player the Kings wanted to add.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I think there will be a lockout, the question is for how long?
If I miss Frozen Fury, I'll be pissed. I'm going to Vegas anyway but I'll be mad if there is even a day missed which looks like almost a sure thing at this point. I don't understand why it has to come to this. It seems pretty simple to me. Either the players and owners cough up and bail out the smaller owners or they contract some teams that can't seem to turn a profit. I doubt the players want that so that makes the solution pretty obvious. More money has to be given back to the owners losing money or the CAP floor has to be lowered substantially or done away with entirely.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:29 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
If I miss Frozen Fury, I'll be pissed. I'm going to Vegas anyway but I'll be mad if there is even a day missed which looks like almost a sure thing at this point. I don't understand why it has to come to this. It seems pretty simple to me. Either the players and owners cough up and bail out the smaller owners or they contract some teams that can't seem to turn a profit. I doubt the players want that so that makes the solution pretty obvious. More money has to be given back to the owners losing money or the CAP floor has to be lowered substantially or done away with entirely.
They won't contract. I also can't blame the haves for getting tired of bailing the have nots. Then you look at the PA that caved on everything last time and can't blame them for doing better now that the league is in such good financial shape. It could be a long winter for us fans.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Martyros

Quote:
how many teams are they going to contract? any more than 1 would mean hundreds of people out of work; it's not as easy as it looks or else we wouldn't be worried about a lockout. Bettman and Fehr aren't bad guys who don't give a **** about keeping the sport alive.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:23 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

I'll be bummed if the exhibition game at the Citizens Bank Arena gets cancelled. Taking my niece to her first hockey game and that would blow if it doesn't happen. Luc also mentioned the possibility of a Kings/Ducks alumni game happening before the game as well. That would be a nice bonus, but it's looking bleak right now.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
how many teams are they going to contract? any more than 1 would mean hundreds of people out of work; it's not as easy as it looks or else we wouldn't be worried about a lockout. Bettman and Fehr aren't bad guys who don't give a **** about keeping the sport alive.
It is pretty simple. The league as a whole makes money. They keep pissing off the fans and their revenues are going to drop and then they will all be losing. Cut off your nose to spite your face. If the owners AND players don't want to subsidize the lower revenue teams, it is time to let them sink or swim. All of this stuff was supposed to be fixed last time and it looks like these millionaire geniuses just prolonged the problem(s).

All of a sudden I care about football again. I'm also glad I don't have a deposit on season tickets. good luck getting that back!

I do bet that players eventually cave in again whether that is tomorrow or in two years because the owners really don't give a ****. Especially teams that are going to be better off financially not playing than playing. The players risk losing this year's salary along with further deflated salaries if there is a backlash from fans. The players stand the most to gain from getting a deal done. Their careers and earning power as a player are finite. The owners are in it for the long haul.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:53 PM
KingCanadain1976

Not sure if this was posted else where or not but it looks like parse is getting a try out with pitts http://kingsnewsdaily.com/scott-pars...sidney-crosby/

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
Not sure if this was posted else where or not but it looks like parse is getting a try out with pitts http://kingsnewsdaily.com/scott-pars...sidney-crosby/
That's at the Kings' practice facility in LA with Parse wearing a Kings' practice sweater.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:22 PM
KingLB

Little late on the Hartnell discussion, but you gotta wonder if he goes full blown Smyth by the end of the contract with the way he plays.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:15 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Taylor Hall signs 7 year $42M extension. Holy overpayment batman!

If Hall got that, what will Eberle get?

EDIT: Sounds like Eberle will get similar cap hit, term unclear.

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 08-22-2012 at 02:02 PM.
KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:17 PM
MsWoof

I love how these owners are crying yet they keep giving out insane amounts of money.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Johnny Utah

20 plus goals twice in 2 years gets you 6 million? Holy moly.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Hall deal is fine. Its overpayment now, but in 2 years he will be worth more than that. Its just like the Kopitar/Doughty deals we have, overpayments at the time, expected to grow into

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:25 PM
johnjm22

Not that bad of a signing at all. Risky? Yes, but chances are that it will be a great contract down the road.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Taylor Hall signs 7 year $42M extension. Holy overpayment batman!

If Hall got that, what will Eberle get?

EDIT: Sounds like Eberle will get similar cap hit, term unclear.
And the 2nd contract gets another nail in it's coffin. Someone tell the Oilers to teach Hall how to skake with his head up.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Johnny Utah

Didn't Burke complain about this 2nd contract awhile back?

And everyone is wondering why we are headed for another lock out....Everyone is blaming the owners but the agents are running up the numbers just as well because teams are hesitant to upset their star players or risk losing them to UFA so they are giving them the bank.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Hall deal is fine. Its overpayment now, but in 2 years he will be worth more than that. Its just like the Kopitar/Doughty deals we have, overpayments at the time, expected to grow into
But Kopitar and Doughty weren't injured on a consistent basis their first 2 seasons in the NHL either. I'd have offered a little less money and a shorter term deal, say 3-4 years. Just to check on his health in the long run. After that if he stays healthy you throw the big money at him.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:31 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Didn't Burke complain about this 2nd contract awhile back?

And everyone is wondering why we are headed for another lock out....Everyone is blaming the owners but the agents are running up the numbers just as well because teams are hesitant to upset their star players or risk losing them to UFA so they are giving them the bank.
Nobody was holding a gun to the Oilers' head to get this done. This isn't the fault of the agents. The spending is out of control.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
bobafettish*

now if horseface could only stay healthy and stop diving his face into the boards.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Owners are just locking their players up with long term deals hoping for a salary roll back with the new CBA.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:19 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Owners are just locking their players up with long term deals hoping for a salary roll back with the new CBA.
This is probably the case.

I love the hypocrisy of how the owners had a 5 year limit in their proposal, and here we have about 4 or 5 6+ year deals.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:54 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Hall has done absolutely nothing to deserve that contract so far. For those looking to compare Hall's first two years to Kopitar and Doughty's:

Kopitar averaged 77 games played and 69 points
Doughty averaged 81.5 games played and 43 points (including a Norris nomination)
Hall averaged 63 games played and 48 points

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:29 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
This is probably the case.

I love the hypocrisy of how the owners had a 5 year limit in their proposal, and here we have about 4 or 5 6+ year deals.
Owners say one thing and they act differently. Didn't we have Bettman running around during the last lock out that ticket prices would "decrease" when the opposite has happened.

If there's another lockout, work stoppage, the league will suffer a major setback yet again.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 06:16 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

Quote:
20 plus goals twice in 2 years gets you 6 million? Holy moly.
But he was a 1st overall pick! There's a $1.5m annual surcharge for that distinction. It's a gamble, given that he's always getting hurt and he plays a skate really hard into the glass style. I think odds are that he'll be worth it in about 3 years, so in the end it's not bad.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote