Jets history to re-unite

Old
08-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
Why is there yet another thread on this topic which has been discussed before?

Suggest a lock&delete on this one, Mods.....
Thanks for the suggestion

Seeing as it is summer, and we have new forum members who haven't partaken in this discussion yet we will leave it open (albeit on a tight leash).

You and other vets, of course are very welcome to use the little x in the right hand corner of the description box and hide the offending thread from your view forever!

08-20-2012, 07:48 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

You make a good point; guess I'll sit back and watch/read the fun...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

Seeing as it is summer, and we have new forum members who haven't partaken in this discussion yet we will leave it open (albeit on a tight leash).

You and other vets, of course are very welcome to use the little x in the right hand corner of the description box and hide the offending thread from your view forever!

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:52 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

Yeah, I'll post on any thread in the summer.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Ripper

vCash: 500
Hey, I understand everyones side on this topic of v1.0 and 2.0 and being there etc...I still have boxes of WHA stuff from Maroons Road and NHL stuff so I get it.
Just remember where you heard it, also remember the Gund brothers who merged the Cleveland Barons with the North Stars, it has presidence (twice for that franchise).

So don't be suprised if you hear a merger tied to TNSE ownership and a relocate splitting the Coyotes into Jets 2.0 and Waxers 1.0 or Nordiques 2.0 whatever version you want, it is possible that it could be coming sooner rather than later.

Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:06 PM
EpicGingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Hey, I understand everyones side on this topic of v1.0 and 2.0 and being there etc...I still have boxes of WHA stuff from Maroons Road and NHL stuff so I get it.
Just remember where you heard it, also remember the Gund brothers who merged the Cleveland Barons with the North Stars, it has presidence (twice for that franchise).

So don't be suprised if you hear a merger tied to TNSE ownership and a relocate splitting the Coyotes into Jets 2.0 and Waxers 1.0 or Nordiques 2.0 whatever version you want, it is possible that it could be coming sooner rather than later.
Are you honestly being serious? TNSE has no stake in acquiring the Coyotes anymore, they have no actual need to buy the team and merge half the players before shipping off the team somewhere else.

That would be a completely different situation, even if they would buy two teams, and the ownership was approved, they would automatically become hated for handicapping a good team to benefit their other team by whatever city they moved a team to. The North Stars and Barons merged into one team, and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) both the Barons and the North Stars were having problems.

And the NHL wouldn't want to contract, so if that was TNSE's plan to get Coyotes players, however INCREDIBLY unlikely that is, the BoG wouldn't approve the sale, and it would sure as hell piss off the PA, as if the owners need to get the players riled up about something else.

EpicGingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
Do people still actually care about the Jets old history?

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:38 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
What I care about are my memories of the Jets, and last time I checked, I still have them (though senelity may not be far off at this point )

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
What I care about are my memories of the Jets, and last time I checked, I still have them (though senelity may not be far off at this point )
mine were stolen in a magical crystal, locked in a trunk and tossed into the back of the moving van that moved the team to pheonix!

Now they keep them locked away in a secret vault located beneath center ice in Jobing.com arena, whilei plot various methods of stealth, politics, and brute force to gain entry and retrieve them, but have thus far failed!

Soon though, my memory crystals will be returned to me, and i will actually be able to remember, cherish, and honor the Jets V1.0!

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:07 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
mine were stolen in a magical crystal, locked in a trunk and tossed into the back of the moving van that moved the team to pheonix!

Now they keep them locked away in a secret vault located beneath center ice in Jobing.com arena, whilei plot various methods of stealth, politics, and brute force to gain entry and retrieve them, but have thus far failed!

Soon though, my memory crystals will be returned to me, and i will actually be able to remember, cherish, and honor the Jets V1.0!
I'll let you have your memories for $49.99 a view. Just send me your credit card.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I'll let you have your memories for $49.99 a view. Just send me your credit card.
:O At a price like that i can't afford NOT to do it!

oh god i'm not being productive today

Old
08-21-2012, 02:23 PM
New Jets
Jets fan since '79

Quote:
Sure. Most do. Whether or not they get printed in our current record book? I'd say some care, some don't.

As far as our hockey history goes - yes, we all care about Jets 1.0 "history".

And you know what? So does TNSE - afterall they did name their new franchise WINNIPEG JETS not to mention buying back all of the intellectual property of Jets 1.0

New Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
I do.

For example, my Dad took my brother and I to see the Jets play the Canadiens on the very first Tuxedo Night.

The Jets won.

That memory is priceless to me.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:47 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I do.

For example, my Dad took my brother and I to see the Jets play the Canadiens on the very first Tuxedo Night.

The Jets won.

That memory is priceless to me.
Tuxedo night is still associated with Winnipeg. That never left.

Memories haven't gone anywhere. It is being upset about stats that I don't understand.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
Well it's not like I meant the MEMORIES of the Jets, but rather all the old stats, etc. Obviously we're not going to have our memories taken away, and it's not like having the Jets in Phoenix is keeping us from remembering them.

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Tuxedo night is still associated with Winnipeg. That never left.

Memories haven't gone anywhere. It is being upset about stats that I don't understand.
you would if your memories were locked in the basement of jobing.com!

obviously i jest with all of this and completely agree. To me, it is so small an issue of what is "officially" recorded/remembered. It doesn't change anything, though I can (kind of...) understand those that have extreme sentimental attachment to the old stuff, i just don't see how the connection can be as important as some have made it out to be.

Old
08-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Flyerfan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Speculation or proposal, I can't decide which this could be but really, it doesn't matter. Let's say that TNSE decided that it wanted it's history back, more importantly the Jets history.
Let's also say that with the coming CBA there may be concessions to be had, or should I say franchises.

Remember the Gund brothers, they who owned the North Stars, merged with the Cleveland Barons. There was also the Sharks created out of some of the players from the old Stars before goiing to Dallas. Too many facts to write them all in order here but you get the idea.

So, Phoenix folds, Winnipeg buys half the team and pays the NHL the debt they are owed plus interest, the interest gives them 6 palyers to choose. The rest go to Toronto and form the nucleus of the 2nd GTA franchise the Markham Waxers who pay 400 million and are owned by Thompson.

Quebec City is awarded a draft priority staus with it's new franchise and selects 3 players from the folded Blue Jackets and Panthers. The remaining players go into the entry draft next June and hockey begins next September after the sweeping changes.

I hope it all gets done next Month but somehow I doubt it.

Have fun,
Regards
Ripper
So what 6 Coyotes do we select, which 6 do we release to stay under the 50 allowed as roster maximum & does it fit under the cap?

If we're paying all the debts + interest why are we only getting 1/2 the team?

It's the fact that Bettman wants the team to stay in Phoenix that makes them a hard sell. If it were a buy & move the NHL could get a very good price. The group proposing building the arena in Markham would probably pay expansion $s + to land a playoff team rather then start from scratch.

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 10:13 PM
cutchemist42

Kind of related while reading about Modell's death today, the guy who moved the Browns to Baltimore....

"The NFL's deal with Cleveland set a legal precedent with other sports teams. The Minnesota Twins, when they signed their deal with Hennepin County, Minnesota for Target Field in 2006, agreed to a provision that was signed into law that allows the state of Minnesota the right of first refusal to buy the team if it is ever sold, and requires that the name, colors, World Series trophies and history of the team remain in Minnesota if the Twins are ever moved out of state, a deal similar to what Modell agreed to with the city of Cleveland during the move.

In December 2005, the San Jose Earthquakes of Major League Soccer moved to Houston, Texas to become the Houston Dynamo. At the time, it was announced by the league that while players and staff would move with the team, the team name, colors, logo, and records (including two championship trophies) would stay in San Jose for when a new expansion team arrives.[38] In 2008, the Earthquakes returned under the ownership of Lew Wolff.

When the Seattle SuperSonics moved to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in 2008, it was agreed that the 'SuperSonics' name, logo, colors, and history would all be left in Seattle. This also includes banners and trophies, which would be displayed in a museum until a new franchise is brought to Seattle to be hung from the rafters of its arena.[39] The original Sonics, now the Oklahoma City Thunder, will continue to keep the Sonics tie-ins including records, championships, and retired numbers until a new NBA franchise is brought to Seattle. Both the Thunder and a potential Seattle franchise would "share" the SuperSonics history.

After the 1995-1996 season, the Winnipeg Jets relocated to Phoenix, Arizona in 1996 to become the now recently bankrupt, financially stabled Phoenix Coyotes where history, records, retired numbers, and stats continues to reside. 15 years later in May 2011, the Atlanta Thrashers were relocated to Winnipeg, and took on the Jets moniker once again after the new owners announce the name in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft with fan support. Both incarnations will continue to be separate franchises."

cutchemist42 is online now   Reply With Quote