HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

You are shopping D?

Old
08-21-2012, 10:35 AM
WildFinn
Unity | We Are One

vCash: 500
You are shopping D?

I ask about the internet rumors that you could be interested in getting Setoguchi for a D.

Any possibility that could be true? What would you have in the block?

WildFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Don't believe any of those rumors

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:34 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

I wish they were true, though. Sid needs a good winger to play with so we can have 2 solid scoring lines and a Righthanded shooter on the left side of the PP.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I wish they were true, though. Sid needs a good winger to play with so we can have 2 solid scoring lines and a Righthanded shooter on the left side of the PP.
we also need a full defense. I think it makes sense to start talks, but I don't see it happening from either side until mid-season.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:58 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
I ask about the internet rumors that you could be interested in getting Setoguchi for a D.

Any possibility that could be true? What would you have in the block?
Pens HAVE to be shopping D men now. Bortuzzo, Strait, Martin, Lovejoy, Orpik, Niskannen, Letang, and Engelland all have to go through waivers. You can't have 8 D men for 6 spots. It's pretty obvious that Bortz and Strait are the odd men out, but they have little NHL experience and therefore value.

There aren't enough seats on Pen's D bus. Some will be moved (not named Letang). I'm not even counting the plethera of good D prospects the Pens have behind these guys. Depres is ready for a NHL spot now but can play in the AHL without waivers.

Strait
Bortuzzo
Lovejoy (especially)

Will not pass through waivers.

Martin (very high contract)
Orpik (good value player at perfect trade-able age for the Pens)

Are probably on the block of regulars

Letang is untouchable
Engelland is too good of a value
Niskannen just signed a good value contract

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
We'll happily drive Martin to the airport if it means we get Setoguchi in return.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Pens HAVE to be shopping D men now. Bortuzzo, Strait, Martin, Lovejoy, Orpik, Niskannen, Letang, and Engelland all have to go through waivers. You can't have 8 D men for 6 spots. It's pretty obvious that Bortz and Strait are the odd men out, but they have little NHL experience and therefore value.

There aren't enough seats on Pen's D bus. Some will be moved (not named Letang). I'm not even counting the plethera of good D prospects the Pens have behind these guys. Depres is ready for a NHL spot now but can play in the AHL without waivers.

Strait
Bortuzzo
Lovejoy (especially)

Will not pass through waivers.

Martin (very high contract)
Orpik (good value player at perfect trade-able age for the Pens)

Are probably on the block of regulars

Letang is untouchable
Engelland is too good of a value
Niskannen just signed a good value contract
We currently only have 3 proven top 4 d-men and 2 of them are coming off absolutely terrible seasons. I would be completely shocked if we trade Orpik or Martin before the season starts. That would leave Niskanen, Engelland and rookies fighting for the 2nd pairing spots. Just no way. Mid-season when some of these guys can have a chance to prove themselves sure. Right now? No. Not without bringing in someone else.

And ya, you can have 8 D. Roster limit is 23. 13 F, 8 D, 2 G.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:32 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
We currently only have 3 proven top 4 d-men and 2 of them are coming off absolutely terrible seasons. I would be completely shocked if we trade Orpik or Martin before the season starts. That would leave Niskanen, Engelland and rookies fighting for the 2nd pairing spots. Just no way. Mid-season when some of these guys can have a chance to prove themselves sure. Right now? No. Not without bringing in someone else.

And ya, you can have 8 D. Roster limit is 23. 13 F, 8 D, 2 G.
I think that's what you're going to see to start the season, 8D.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I think that's what you're going to see to start the season, 8D.
ya, if a legitimate trade comes up for Strait or Bortuzzo I could see Shero taking it. But we won't be dumping Strait or Bortuzzo just to clear the spot.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
ya, if a legitimate trade comes up for Strait or Bortuzzo I could see Shero taking it. But we won't be dumping Strait or Bortuzzo just to clear the spot.
Unless the return were significant, Lovejoy needs to be the one headed out. Why take a forward spot away for that bum?

The man is 28, is not going to get any better, and was never any good in the first place.

I'm hoping Shero watched the same Flyers' series I did. HINT: Bortuzzo and Strait weren't part of the problem.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:34 PM
hctopcheds11

Not huge on Seto... This board really seems to overrate him IMO. He hasn't showed me much in the past 3 seasons to help validate giving up a decent price for him. Itd be one thing if it was a down year or two but now its been 3 seasons of essentially 40 point hockey. Even as a reclamation project, I like Stewart much more.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
Not huge on Seto... This board really seems to overrate him IMO. He hasn't showed me much in the past 3 seasons to help validate giving up a decent price for him. Itd be one thing if it was a down year or two but now its been 3 seasons of essentially 40 point hockey. Even as a reclamation project, I like Stewart much more.
It's worth noting though that the Wild don't have any elite playmaking centers to take advantage of Seto's skillset, and that he was in a car accident that ruined his summer training regimen last year. He's also only 25, and has produced at a 20+ goal pace in each of the last 4 years.

I think he could thrive playing with Sid. He has the speed and physicality to do a lot of what Kunitz does, but with the added bonus of a wicked shot.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:10 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
Unless the return were significant, Lovejoy needs to be the one headed out. Why take a forward spot away for that bum?

The man is 28, is not going to get any better, and was never any good in the first place.

I'm hoping Shero watched the same Flyers' series I did. HINT: Bortuzzo and Strait weren't part of the problem.
I'm already assuming Lovejoy is out. He's the number 9 at best. I guess I was counting Despres in the NHL list actually.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:20 PM
EatonBabies
Bylsma Blows!

I know there's been a lot of speculation amongst us, but where are these rumors coming from?

EatonBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Whatever the rumours, the Wild are probably the best possible trading partner for us, all things considered.

Old
08-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I know there's been a lot of speculation amongst us, but where are these rumors coming from?
The wonderful world of "twitter"

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:58 PM
wgknestrick

I still think Martin can put in some good seasons. Last season was awful for Martin, but Malkin wasn't looking very good there either for 2 years. Please note Martin=/Malkin in my mind, just posting an example.

Lovejoy should have decent value for a young team looking for a 5-6th D man. He actually is pretty good there IMO (bad playoffs aside). At least the Pens got rid of their worst D man in Michalek this offseason. For as bad as Martin was, Michalek was worse. I have never seen a D man as "lusive" as he was in the corner. He got lined up and crushed game after game. His best move was flopping onto the ice or screening the goalie. All that for a "very low" 4mil.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

I'd say it's very likely we're shopping at least 1 or 2 D, but probably not the D that would bring us Setoguchi. Strait and Lovejoy are the most likely candidates. I'm convinced if Martin was going anywhere, he'd be gone by now.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:36 PM
DyerMaker66

Pail the fail Martin for Setoguchi ftw!

DyerMaker66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:05 PM
JTG

I don't think this team can afford to lose Martin at the moment. If young guys come in and prove to be able to take those mins...sure.

I do think Seto could do a jump like Neal did playing with a superstar center. The guy can find soft spots, and has a missile of a shot. Oh...he's also right handed. I could see him hitting 15 goals on the powerplay here playing that left side.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:39 PM
dePENSonFleury

If the market is there for a guy like Martin to bring us someone like Seto, I think we do it. Trading Martin doesn't preclude us from making a deadline deal for a defenseman later, and probably one that translates better to playoff hockey then Martin does. It appears we will have the cap room to do that. The downside of Martin only playing marginally better is he loses any value he has.

dePENSonFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Pens/Wild has a similar feeling to Stars/Pens before the Neal/Niskanen for Goligoski trade. Really seems like a trade could be made between the teams. Just not sure exactly what other than a D from the Pens for a forward on the Wild.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Pens/Wild has a similar feeling to Stars/Pens before the Neal/Niskanen for Goligoski trade. Really seems like a trade could be made between the teams. Just not sure exactly what other than a D from the Pens for a forward on the Wild.
Yeah. Tons of candidates, it's just a matter of finding the right fit.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Yeah. Tons of candidates, it's just a matter of finding the right fit.
Whether it's to us or not, I expect them to move one of Heatley or Setoguchi for help on D by the deadline.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:43 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

All credible rumors have Shero keeping the D intact.

eXile59 is online now   Reply With Quote