HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 291 club ...

Old
08-21-2012, 09:51 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I didn't make it a class issue... I asked a question why someone would throw in that word.

Random doesn't single out a particular segment... wealthy does.
Because someone with $2500 to give away is more likely wealthy than not? Isn't the just a truism?

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:57 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
The number of cups we win now or in the future has an effect on how many numbers of past players the team can/should/will retire?
I think I said it more clearly in my edit: it will look weird if we skip over better players in the future while keeping up lesser players from our past. You want the banners to reflect the best in the franchise. But we might have set the bar too low to do that.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:09 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I think I said it more clearly in my edit: it will look weird if we skip over better players in the future while keeping up lesser players from our past. You want the banners to reflect the best in the franchise. But we might have set the bar too low to do that.
That may end up being a legitimate argument when all is said and done.

Though that has nothing to do with whether or not we win cups now or in the near future. That's simply a "X player is not deserving of the honor of a number being retired or having a status" argument, which is fair.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:02 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Stupid idea...what a great way to take away from the accomplishments of The French Connection, and put some Jo Schmoe's name on it cause he has some money...

I don't like the idea at all...Let the Sabres Organization pay for it....This might be the first thing to piss me off from Pegula & Co.....

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:22 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Stupid idea...what a great way to take away from the accomplishments of The French Connection, and put some Jo Schmoe's name on it cause he has some money...

I don't like the idea at all...Let the Sabres Organization pay for it....This might be the first thing to piss me off from Pegula & Co.....
Except that it doesn't.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Because someone with $2500 to give away is more likely wealthy than not? Isn't the just a truism?
So people with season tickets are considered wealthy? .. How many people who "give away" money for season tickets consider themselves wealthy? ..

I think the basis of the statement fits in line with the narrative being told at a national level thru Politics. Meaning the original statement made it a class issue.

Just because I can't afford to put my name on the back of a statue doesn't mean the statue is devalued because others are able to. It's an option for people to feel a part of things.. If they can..they can... if they can't...they can't. I don't see why people make issues out of nothing.

Why is it anyones business how something is paid for? ... It's not. Move on.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:34 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoo View Post
You ever sculpt, then cast a life-size bronze statue?
No, that's why I asked the question.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:45 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
So people with season tickets are considered wealthy? .. How many people who "give away" money for season tickets consider themselves wealthy? ..

Some of them probably are. But it's a lot bigger gesture to give away $2500 for your name on something than it is to give away $2500 and then get season tickets in return. Hell, season tickets can be sold to Toronto fans. And you'll notice all I said was they were more likely to be wealthy. I'm sure at least some guy making $40,000 a year will throw his hat in the ring.

I think the basis of the statement fits in line with the narrative being told at a national level thru Politics. Meaning the original statement made it a class issue.

No, you made it a class issue when some poster said "random wealthy people" and nothing more and then you got hot under the collar and had to have a conniption about it. It makes you look highly sensitive and prone to picking fights with what you perceive to be implied slights against wealthy people. It's not the first time you've done it either. It's starting to make me think that the words "wealthy," "affluent," and "rich" just can't be said around you, regardless of context, unless they're followed by "are seriously awesome!!"

Just because I can't afford to put my name on the back of a statue doesn't mean the statue is devalued because others are able to.

I and several others have said they don't care whether it's the wealthy guy or the poor guy who puts their name on the statue. If they gave names on the statue to the 291 poorest season ticket holders it would be tacky. If they had a raffle to see who got their names on the statue it would be tacky. If they held a race to see who the first 291 people to register to get their names on the statue, it would be tacky. Why should it not be tacky to put the names of the first 291 people to pay $2500?

It's an option for people to feel a part of things.. If they can..they can... if they can't...they can't. I don't see why people make issues out of nothing.

Because it's tacky and we're fans.

Why is it anyones business how something is paid for? ... It's not. Move on.

See above. Also, I highly doubt this is how it's getting paid for. Terry Pegula is losing millions of dollars a year on this team, I'm sure.The statue is a drop in the bucket.
in bold

Last edited by haseoke39: 08-21-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old
08-23-2012, 04:28 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

$652,500 for one bronze?

where do i offer my services?

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote