Notices

OT Hockey Cards

Old
08-21-2012, 10:44 AM
blues10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel Astro View Post
I have a big box of Jets cards from the 80s and 90s. I got rid of most of my hockey card collection back when I was a kid, but I held on to Jets cards (from various years, makes and sets) after the team moved, for nostalgia purposes.

When the Jets came back, I realized I still had the box, and took a look inside. Pretty awesome. I have the whole set of (1994?) Jets bookmarks with quotes from each player about literacy, plus a ton of other ****. I think there are 20-something Essensa cards (lots of repeats) in there.

Also, I have the card of Burton Cummings in a Jets jersey.

I have no clue what I'm going to do with any of this stuff. I have absolutely no clue what hockey cards are worth these days, and these aren't in plastic cases or anything, they're just loose in a box, so I doubt I'd get much money for them if I brought them to a card store.

I'll probably just hold on to them for lack of any better option.

I would suggest putting the cards in plastic pages and placing them in a binder. You can buy the pages at sport card stores and I believe that Staples has some less expensive ones.

The cards are then protected and it is a really nice way to browse through them. My friends really enjoy my Jets cards binders as do I.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Lux Aurumque*

I have Hasek and Lidstrom rookie cards among others. Huge collection of Peter Bondra cards too.

Haven't really collected in six or seven years though.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
My uncle is Harold Phillipoff, played for the Flames in the late 70s. I still have his card haha.
Wow, I remember him when he played in the Dub for New West in the mid-70's

they were pretty fearsome back then, he had 280 PIM one year! played with Barry Beck, Stan Smyl, etc
...my brother played against them and guys were afraid to touch the puck when some of those guys were on the ice
...no doubt he's told you some crazy stories, if not, just ask him

Back in the Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Dasme

It's great to see a thread like this pop up! I've jumped back into collecting myself with my 6 year old son. I used to work in a card shop in the early 90s so this has brought back a lot of nostalgia!

Last year I was collecting everything and anything. Though this year I'm planning on slowing down a little

I'm mainly going to be focusing on putting together the UD series 1/2 sets with inserts.

I'm working on a collection of rookie cards for every Jet play that has laced up and played a game. This has been fun to put together and is progressing nicely. I'll be sure to post pics when complete.

I'm also collecting Scheifele cards, trying to complete that set as well.

It's a fun hobby, glad to see others who have rekindled their love of collecting.

Dasme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:11 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

I use to collect hockey cards from around age 12-17. I've got probably about 7-10k cards overall. Mostly 90s junk, but some good RCs as well as some nice inserts. I mostly collected Lemieux cards and have about 400 unique cards of his. I don't collect so much anymore, but I'll buy a card or two of Lemieux if I'm in the mood and the price is right.

I do collect hockey autos now and use a lot of my cards for this. I actually have a baseball card dealer that hooks me up with boxes of 500 hockey cards of commons and semistars from the 90s and 00s (Lindros, Forsberg, Sakic, Yzerman, Toews, Jagr, etc.) for $3 apiece that I use for autos. So, my collection is still growing unfortunately

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:27 PM
IceCapsNation

Contacted a family member last night who moved to Alberta several years back. He's given me permission to go through his old hockey cards he collected between '75 and '94. They've all been stored in dozens of old cereal boxes in a drawer since then. Can not wait to see which gems are hidden!

IceCapsNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Dasme

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsNation View Post
Contacted a family member last night who moved to Alberta several years back. He's given me permission to go through his old hockey cards he collected between '75 and '94. They've all been stored in dozens of old cereal boxes in a drawer since then. Can not wait to see which gems are hidden!
Nice! Nothing better than digging through old boxes of cards to find those gems! Good luck!

Old
08-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Fidel Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
I would suggest putting the cards in plastic pages and placing them in a binder. You can buy the pages at sport card stores and I believe that Staples has some less expensive ones.

The cards are then protected and it is a really nice way to browse through them. My friends really enjoy my Jets cards binders as do I.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I also have some old full sets of cards from around '89-90/'91-92 in binders like that.

Nice photo. I think my box o' Jets cards includes all of those, actually (and a ****-ton more, dating back to the mid-80s at least (and some earlier).

Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Fidel Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasme View Post
I'm working on a collection of rookie cards for every Jet play that has laced up and played a game. This has been fun to put together and is progressing nicely. I'll be sure to post pics when complete.
Jets 1.0, 2.0 or both?

Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Dasme

Quote:
Jets 1.0, 2.0 or both?
2.0 for now I still had a lot of the Jets 1.0 rookies that I wanted from way back. We'll see how quickly I can get the 2.0 collection complete.. I'm just crazy enough to attempt doing the same for 1.0

Old
08-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Kings fan in peace, love this thread. We also have a thread in the main NHL board. Stop by especially if you're collecting again and want to ask questions or just share experiences!

O Pee Chee this year is gonna be awesome in Canada.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Daddy Longlegs

I have a Jean Beliveau rookie card. If anyone wants it, I'll let it go for $50.

Daddy Longlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:34 PM
IceCapsNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Kings fan in peace, love this thread. We also have a thread in the main NHL board. Stop by especially if you're collecting again and want to ask questions or just share experiences!

O Pee Chee this year is gonna be awesome in Canada.
What's the scoop on O Pee Chee this year !?!?

IceCapsNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:58 PM
blues10

Quote:
Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I also have some old full sets of cards from around '89-90/'91-92 in binders like that.

Nice photo. I think my box o' Jets cards includes all of those, actually (and a ****-ton more, dating back to the mid-80s at least (and some earlier).
The photo is actually of a current listing on e-bay but pretty much matches what I have done. I have taken all Jets cards from 1972-1996 and the new ones printed from 1996-2012 and put them in numerical order in binders starting with 1972. All makes and years. The collection is pretty much complete from 1972-1996. Maybe missing a parallel here and there. Obviously collecting all Jets inserts is near impossible. It was nice to see that winnipeg Jets cards were still being made when the Jets flew south.

The cards on e-bay cost $4.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-1992-WI...item2321369707

Old
08-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Potrzebie

vCash: 112
'79-80 and '80-81 were my big collecting years. I even have the big cardboard "card locker" I sent away for with a bunch of wrappers and a few bucks. Lots of good RCs including Ray Bourque and Gretzky. I used to play some kind of card tossing game with some neighborhood kids at the time where the winner kept the cards. We played with mostly doubles - I shudder to think how many Gretzky RCs I lost that way (as a 10 yr old Jets fan I couldn't stand him and bid his cards good riddance).

Potrzebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:14 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Longlegs View Post
I have a Jean Beliveau rookie card. If anyone wants it, I'll let it go for $50.
You forgot this.