HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

OHL Prospects - Preseason Top 30 for the 2013 Draft (OHL)

Old
08-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Brock

vCash: 500
OHL Prospects - Preseason Top 30 for the 2013 Draft (OHL)

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...try-draft.html

Would love to hear your comments and questions.

It will definitely be interesting to look back at this list come Christmas time.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:40 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
Nice read, Nurse seems to remind me of Reinhart.

Also, I've heard Tavares comparisons when talking about Monahan and you mention he can possibly make the jump to the NHL next year. Do he have Tavares potential? If you think he does, can he challenge for the top pick? Thanks

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Nice read, Nurse seems to remind me of Reinhart.

Also, I've heard Tavares comparisons when talking about Monahan and you mention he can possibly make the jump to the NHL next year. Do he have Tavares potential? If you think he does, can he challenge for the top pick? Thanks
I'd say Monahan and Tavares are two completely different players. Can't say I've ever heard that one.

Monahan is miles ahead as a three zone player, than Tavares was at the same age. He's also a better skater than Johnny T. But he doesn't control the offensive zone the way Tavares could. Tavares is and was an elite offensive talent. Saying that Monahan isn't as good offensively isn't a slight towards him, but a nod to Tavares.

In terms of potential, Monahan certainly has the potential to be a franchise centerman. That's why he's currently touted as a top 5 pick. First overall? I don't see it happening. Seth Jones and Nathan Mackinnon seem to have that locked up. But he'll certainly battle to be the third guy off the board IMO.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:09 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Nice job Brock. From a Kitchener perspective, Sterk will be given every opportunity to shine. The last I heard, Spott had him slated to play with the Faksa or Reider line.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:37 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I'd say Monahan and Tavares are two completely different players. Can't say I've ever heard that one.

Monahan is miles ahead as a three zone player, than Tavares was at the same age. He's also a better skater than Johnny T. But he doesn't control the offensive zone the way Tavares could. Tavares is and was an elite offensive talent. Saying that Monahan isn't as good offensively isn't a slight towards him, but a nod to Tavares.

In terms of potential, Monahan certainly has the potential to be a franchise centerman. That's why he's currently touted as a top 5 pick. First overall? I don't see it happening. Seth Jones and Nathan Mackinnon seem to have that locked up. But he'll certainly battle to be the third guy off the board IMO.
, can't believe everything you read. Thanks though.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:01 PM
memcup99

Great read Brock, excited for camps to open. Looking forward to your blog.

I may be a biased homer but I've watched Monohan's OHL career and you're bang on in your assessment,and I might add he has excemplary boardwork in the o-zone and his hands in tight are lethal. He's not Tavares or Spezza( they're #1 and #2 IMO for slickest hands at the OHL level) and he'll need to work on his skating and strength, but I fully expect this to be his last year in the OHL.
It'll be a great test for him to carry the goal scoring load without Toffoli, but he will have good support up the middle if Graovac can stay healthy and the rookies are able to produce right away. He's done nothing in the 2 years I've watched him play for me to believe he won't meet this challenge and more. (Like maybe a World Junior Gold Medal in January

memcup99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Ottomatic

Will interesting to see Kerby without Khokhlachev feeding him all season. Rychel will likely be with Ho-Sang and either Vail or Johnson.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:40 PM
StormSurge9

4 Storm guys on the list, nice!

I really can't wait to see what Dickinson and Garlent bring offensively this season. A real treat to watch.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:45 PM
clearwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...try-draft.html

Would love to hear your comments and questions.

It will definitely be interesting to look back at this list come Christmas time.
Brock, Keep your eye on #91 from Saginaw Spirit, Moutrey. Reporting to camp at 6'3 210lb, power forward with skill, skater, grit and great character. Going to be given a lot of opportunities this year with this young team

clearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 07:12 AM
bidzey

lol about Max Domi's description
Quote:
Hard to believe he's Tie's son (no offense to Tie). "

is there another way Tie should take this? He was given a role in the NHL and he did it well. Towards the end of his carreer he was given a green light, and did he not get a seasonal best for points that season?

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:01 AM
NHL Fanatic

What many people don't realize was that Tie was a scorer in junior hockey but he had to change his game style, it was the only way he could make it to the NHL being his size. Lucky for Max that the game has change and size doesn't matter as much as it used it.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:52 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
What many people don't realize was that Tie was a scorer in junior hockey but he had to change his game style, it was the only way he could make it to the NHL being his size. Lucky for Max that the game has change and size doesn't matter as much as it used it.
till playoff time, that's been Montreal's biggest flaw in recent seasons. IMO anyways...

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote