HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators @ Sharks GDT: Game 4, 9:30

Old
04-28-2006, 12:44 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I've not been down on Mason most of the year but his last two games he's let in some stinkers. I like Mason as a person, he's just not a starting goalie. He can't move side to side for crap and the Sharks have exploited that.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I pointed this very thing out in my first post after the game preview. Watch the goals we scored against them earlier in the year. Tons of rebounds and screened shots.

The urgency we saw in the last 10 minutes or so, is what we have needed the entire series. Game 1 was much like that, flying to the puck, finishing checks, and relentless forechecking. As much as I hate the fact we couldn't pull it off, I hope we can take the positive last 10 minutes and build off that in the next 3 games.

And, I was very impressed with what Zids did in what little time he had. I think we need to continue dressing 7 d-men, with Zids on the PP and maybe even some time at wing, or splitting more shifts with Weber. He was an offensive spark, and is something that the Sharks will have to worry about, opening up more room for Kariya/Sully.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 12:54 AM
vopatsrash

I thought tonight was Sully's best game of the series. You can tell he still doesn't have his full rhythm, but he was much more active and dangerous.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Daily Special

Good game all. Made it quite interesting in the end there.

Daily Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 01:29 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
I thought tonight was Sully's best game of the series. You can tell he still doesn't have his full rhythm, but he was much more active and dangerous.

agreed.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 03:22 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
This was like a tale of 3 periods.

1st period we played very well. We came out and seemed to have that sense of urgency. The first shark goal was all brought about by a miscommunication in front of Mason and then not getting a clear. But everything was fairly even, we outhit them something like 11-5.

2nd period started out well. We got a lead, had the crowd a little quiet. Then got called for questionable penalties. Allow one goal and we come unglued and they just pour it on. After their third goal we should have stepped up and tried to take back control of the game. Instead we let sharks get us running around in our zone and they get a goal right as the penalty ends. If we get out of that period 3-2 it's a completely different game, maybe even a win for us.

3rd period we let that one bad goal in early. The Sharks could have kept it going, but somehow the Preds found a way to dig in and just played some offense. Bad bad bad penalty by Erat to negate a PP. But we got the puck and threw it on net. That's what we weren't doing before. Before we would look for a pass but tonight we just kept throwing it towards the net and we got rebounds. Plus Hartnell stood in front of the net and got that huge tip in. Traffic and pucks to the net and we got some goals. Outshot them 14-3 in that period, we have to keep controlling like that the whole game.

Well, as our only other playoff series showed us, we have to win at least one game on the road in order to win a series. So far, we are a whopping 0-5. We were a .500 club during the season so there is no reason to believe that we can't win on the road. So why aren't we now? I know it's the playoffs and all, but we HAVE to get a road win, obviously especially now since we have to win the rest of the games.

Glad to see Upshall in there. He has so much energy and speed that he can beat most anyone to the puck and he did that a few times.

Marleau, have to give him credit. He's a heck of a player. He's been the only shark to really impress me this series.

That was a much better effort, minus the second period. If they can come out and play like the first and end of the third on Sunday, we can extend the series.

I'm really not ready for the season to be over.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 05:35 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303
Marleau, have to give him credit. He's a heck of a player. He's been the only shark to really impress me this series.
I'll have to agree to this. There have been others that have impressed me, but he's the only big-name guy to do it. Thornton and Cheechoo, despite their numbers, haven't impressed much (especially Cheechoo). You can see Thornton's dominant ability, but in a series called like this, he should have had a few more 'regular season-like' performances. And since Cheechoo feeds so well of Thorton, it's understandable that his points would be down if Thornton wasn't dominating.

Both will need to play better for SJ to have a chance in the second round, but my hunch is that they will.

Man, it's games like this where you can tell it wasn't meant to be. I thought we were the better team, but for a variety of reasons, couldn't get the breaks. It's been the story of the last three games. Preds fans will be thinking of what would have been with a healthy Vokoun, Sullivan, Walker, Legwand, and Zidlicky, and that's just not a productive way to go through the summer.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 05:44 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
I agree. The extra day off before game 5 will help Sully and Zidlicky get healthier, too. I expect Nashville to take game 5.

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 07:17 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
IT IS all Trotz' fault ... you ride Vokoun into the ground ... hoping to god Hasek doesn't pull a Hasek at the Olympics ... and he comes down with somekind of blood clot i've never heard of before
Wow......convincing arguement there..... ....well, par for the course, I guess......

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 07:33 AM
handtrick

From the recap on NHL.com

Nashville then committed two more clear-cut penalties to give San Jose a 5-on-3 advantage, and Marleau tipped home Thornton's pass for an easy goal.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/recaps/184_3_recap.html

If they are refering to the Weber and Witt penalties, I must be an incredible homer, because I thought both were extremely weak [along with Michalek's].....or, on the other hand, maybe Gary Bettman wrote the recap..

Last edited by handtrick: 04-28-2006 at 08:51 AM.
Old
04-28-2006, 08:08 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick

[i]Nashville then committed two more clear-cut penalties to give San Jose a 5-on-3 advantage, and Marleau tipped home Thornton's pass for an easy goal.

If they are refering to the Weber and Witt penalties, I must be an incredible homer, because I thought both were extremely weak [along with Michalek's].....or, on the other hand, maybe Gary Bettman wrote the recap..
Well, they aren't likely to bash the officials considering that is the NHL's official website.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 08:47 AM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick

[i]Nashville then committed two more clear-cut penalties to give San Jose a 5-on-3 advantage, and Marleau tipped home Thornton's pass for an easy goal.

Yeah, the original edition of this article from Pravda...err...NHL.com said, "NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, looking dapper in his Armani suit, attended this well officiated game, even serving his own dinner in the media cafeteria in between the deluge of good calls by the officiating crew. Said Bettman...'This meatloaf is almost as good as the calls in this game.'"

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 08:56 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Well, they aren't likely to bash the officials considering that is the NHL's official website.
agreed, but to put the phrase of "two more 'clear cut' penalties" is a reach at best....if they had left out the "clear cut" I wouldn't have had a problem with it.....but those two words turn the article into a piece of frigging propaganda.

Old
04-28-2006, 09:00 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

FYI, it was an writer from the Associated Press who wrote the story. It wasn't written by the NHL. No tinfoil conspiracy here.

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 09:10 AM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM
FYI, it was an writer from the Associated Press who wrote the story. It wasn't written by the NHL. No tinfoil conspiracy here.

how do I add people to my ignore list?

Im just glad that Marleau got the hat trick, at least it was a change of pace from the nonstop Thornton worship.

I tried to watch the Sharks feed for game 3 and had to stop: 56 minutes of declaring Big Joe as the Messiah and 4 minutes of play by play.

I dont complain about reffing much, but I just have to today. The 5 on 3 cost us and it was a ridiculous call.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 10:15 AM
JussiM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyon
Sooo.. how were the lines tonight? There were changes, right?
*cough*

JussiM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 10:25 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Unless something changes drastically, Marleau is the player of this series easily. It was Mason's worst game of the series as several of you have noted.

And I don't care what anyone says-- I watched the Witt penalty on Tivo 7 or 8 times, back and forth and in slow motion. The shark did NOT have to skate by Witt- he could have slipped closer to the boards. Witt didn't withdraw is knee, but the shark skated INTO his leg, then flipped wildly like some kind of acrobat. I cannot see a rule in the book that says a defender in open ice must yield his positioning on the ice to avoid an oncoming player. That would be (and is) ridiculous.

Witt seems to have a reputation for throwing out his knee. I haven't watched him enough career wise to know if it is deserved or not. SJ has obviously decided to exploit it whenever they can.

The Weber, Erat, and Michalik(sp?) penalties were equally weak. I have not felt the officiating in this series has been good at all, from the first game to last night. Last night was the first game I felt confidently would have had a different outcome if the officiating had been better.

I went to bed after the second and missed the rally. I hope it brings the team some life for game 5. They need it.

Everyone in the media and without a stake seemed to think the Preds did not have a chance to win this series. It is starting to look like everyone was right, although I desparately hope to be proven wrong.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Michalek didn't take a penalty, just like Witt and Weber didn't take a penalty. The officials are guessing in the latter case, and making a makeup call in the second. Either way, the officiating has sucked extraordinarily this series. There is no consistency AND the calls have been incorrect on so many occaisions.

Still, last night we were the better team. We are a much better team when we play offensive hockey...the problem is, Mason didn't make one great save last night. He made the oridnary ones, but in the big situations...he let in 5. Additionally, he killed us on the PK. Two of the PP goals were due to him overcommiting past the posts and leaving the entire (See ENTIRE GOAL) completely open. His performance was very forgettable and it costs us IMO.

We can score on the Sharks. We will beat them Sunday...and hopefully swing a game 7, even if we are destined to lose.

Isn't it funny how Kariya's 2 best games as a predator have been in Game 1 and Game 4 of the playoffs?

Go Preds...

04-29-2006, 06:27 PM
SBC

Great Game Sharks!

SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 06:45 PM
USF Shark
Z˘ion politik˛n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrocketman

Witt seems to have a reputation for throwing out his knee. I haven't watched him enough career wise to know if it is deserved or not. SJ has obviously decided to exploit it whenever they can.

Ron Wilson coached Witt in Washington, so he knows Witts weaknesses on defense, and the Sharks really seem to have exploited his weaknesses.

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote