HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM] Taylor Hall signs seven year extension, $6m per

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2012, 05:07 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
If this goes down on one hand it's good for Edmonton that they can get their young stars locked up. On the other, it's good for the rest of the league that Edmonton window for going go on a Chicago or Anaheim like run, with a couple of stud young blue chippers having a huge impact on the ice with entry level contracts, has gotten that much shorter.

If the team makes enough improvements this season maybe they'll get one shot at it the next, but after that it will be RNH's turn to be paid.

Old
08-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Drydenwasthebest

vCash: 500
I hope the Oilers sign all four of their Big Guns. I also hope they can get some kind of loyalty discounts like the Habs got from Pacioretty. If those four Young Guns want to keep their core together and help the team move towards Cup contention, then I hope they take slightly longer terms at less than market value. It is rare to see, which is partially why I think Pacioretty is so special. I just hope the Oilers get at least one of their guys to help them in that manner.

Good Luck, Oilers fans, in getting Hall and Eberle signed at fair value contracts. Hope it happens.

Old
08-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
I'll guess

5.9 for Hall
6.3 for Eberle (Kane's contract)

Old
08-21-2012, 05:13 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
If this goes down on one hand it's good for Edmonton that they can get their young stars locked up. On the other, it's good for the rest of the league that Edmonton window for going go on a Chicago or Anaheim like run, with a couple of stud young blue chippers having a huge impact on the ice with entry level contracts, has gotten that much shorter.

If the team makes enough improvements this season maybe they'll get one shot at it the next, but after that it will be RNH's turn to be paid.
wishful thinking

if the NYR can lock up 4 premier players (Richards, Gaborik, Nash, Lundqvist) at 6.6M+ and still be a great team, no reason why the Oilers can't do the same thing

Old
08-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Good Vibes View Post
People saying Hall hasn't had a concussion are full of it. Sarich hurt more than Halls shoulder.

Secondly, Halls a good player but JT is in a different league. JT created two thirty goal scoress out of fringe NHLers. JT is just about the only threat on his team. Hall can slip through defensive cracks beside Eberle and RNH.

As much as i like Hall JT has the edge.

JT - vision, defense, durability, play making, hockey sense
Hall - shot release, speed, acceleration, shot accuracy, agility
Nice to read a level-headed, unbiased post once in a while. Props to you!

Old
08-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
I hope the Oilers sign all four of their Big Guns. I also hope they can get some kind of loyalty discounts like the Habs got from Pacioretty. If those four Young Guns want to keep their core together and help the team move towards Cup contention, then I hope they take slightly longer terms at less than market value. It is rare to see, which is partially why I think Pacioretty is so special. I just hope the Oilers get at least one of their guys to help them in that manner.

Good Luck, Oilers fans, in getting Hall and Eberle signed at fair value contracts. Hope it happens.
NYR: Nash (7.8), Gaborik (7.5), Lundqvist (6.875), Richards (6.66)

PIT: Crosby (8.7), Malkin (8.7), Neal (5), Fleury (5), Martin (5)

CHI: Kane (6.3), Toews (6.3), Sharp (5.9), Seabrook (5.8), Keith (5.5), Hossa (5.3)

LA: Doughty (7), Kopitar (6.8), Richards (5.75), Carter (5.3)

SJ: Thornton (7), Marleau (6.9), Boyle (6.66), Burns (5.76), Havlat (5)

I can't figure out why everyone's in such a tizzy about getting the big 4 signed to 6mil contracts...

Last edited by Bergeron47: 08-21-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old
08-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Nice to read a level-headed, unbiased post once in a while. Props to you!
Lol. Yer funny.

Old
08-21-2012, 05:49 PM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post

CHI: Kane (6.3), Toews (6.3), Sharp (5.9), Seabrook (5.8), Keith (5.5), Hossa (5.3)

I can't figure out why everyone's in such a tizzy about getting the big 4 signed to 6mil contracts...
Notice how none of these examples are all forwards, signing isn't the problem, its putting so much cash into your forwards.

Old
08-21-2012, 05:51 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
wishful thinking

if the NYR can lock up 4 premier players (Richards, Gaborik, Nash, Lundqvist) at 6.6M+ and still be a great team, no reason why the Oilers can't do the same thing
That guy has a lot to do with it.
Plus they gave to get Nash .. we will see how that turns out soon enough.

I don't think it is a big issue for the Oilers or anything but NY is not a great example.
That goalie guy you listed as one of the 4 is pretty important to them.

Old
08-21-2012, 05:54 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Notice how none of these examples are all forwards, signing isn't the problem, its putting so much cash into your forwards.
Read my post at the bottom of page 3. If the Oil lock them up to $6 million contracts, they are still 6 or 7th in the league in terms of cap hit for the top four highest paid forwards in the league.

Old
08-21-2012, 05:54 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Yeah but Hawks are close, they are only off like 1 mil, Sharks like 2 mil.

Pitt would be about the same as Kunitz makes just under 4 mil?

Old
08-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Worst case Ontario is we have to trade one of them, not a big deal...

Old
08-21-2012, 05:59 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
5.5 million wasn't a discount. It just speaks volumes to how ridiculous the recent signings have been.
Tavares at 5.5M per season signed in 2011 speaks volumes to how ridiculous signings have been? What exactly does that make Kessel's signing in 2009?

Any team in the league would have signed Tavares to that deal, and many much more than that.

Old
08-21-2012, 06:04 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post

Not a single example there was the four top forwards on a team.

PIT: Crosby (8.7), Malkin (8.7), Neal (5), Kunitz (3.725)

CHI: Toews (6.3), Kane (6.3), Sharp (5.9), Hossa (5.3)

LA: Kopitar (6.8), Richards (5.75), Carter (5.3), Williams (3.65)

SJ: Thornton (7), Marleau (6.9), Havlat (5), Pavelski (4)

The only one of those that is remotely similar to how the Oilers will be set up is the Hawks, and you have to remember that they won the Cup when Toews and Kane were still on their ELC's, and when Sharp was on a huge bargain contract because he hadn't broken out yet, and Hossa was on a huge cap-circumventing contract.

The Oilers main problem is that by the time all their defense prospects like Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, etc. make the NHL and establish themselves as legitimate NHLers, all of Yakupov, RNH, Hall, and Eberle will be off of their ELCs, which really hurts the Oil's ability to field a competitive team.

The Oilers will be

Old
08-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Our defensive prospects are going to be making good money too?

Man... We are gonna have an amazing team!

Old
08-21-2012, 06:27 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
Our defensive prospects are going to be making good money too?

Man... We are gonna have an amazing team!
Do you think the people who are saying we won't be able to pay all of our prospects are the same people who say our prospects aren't that good in other threads?

I wonder.

Old
08-21-2012, 06:43 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Not a single example there was the four top forwards on a team.

PIT: Crosby (8.7), Malkin (8.7), Neal (5), Kunitz (3.725)

CHI: Toews (6.3), Kane (6.3), Sharp (5.9), Hossa (5.3)

LA: Kopitar (6.8), Richards (5.75), Carter (5.3), Williams (3.65)

SJ: Thornton (7), Marleau (6.9), Havlat (5), Pavelski (4)

The only one of those that is remotely similar to how the Oilers will be set up is the Hawks, and you have to remember that they won the Cup when Toews and Kane were still on their ELC's, and when Sharp was on a huge bargain contract because he hadn't broken out yet, and Hossa was on a huge cap-circumventing contract.

The Oilers main problem is that by the time all their defense prospects like Klefbom, Marincin, Musil
, etc. make the NHL and establish themselves as legitimate NHLers, all of Yakupov, RNH, Hall, and Eberle will be off of their ELCs, which really hurts the Oil's ability to field a competitive team.

The Oilers will be
if one of those d-men require a 6 million dollar contract, I'd be ecstatic as an Oiler fan

Old
08-21-2012, 06:48 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
if one of those d-men require a 6 million dollar contract, I'd be ecstatic as an Oiler fan
I'm not worried about you having to pay those guys. I'm just stating that by the time those guys are ready to be NHL regulars, the big 4 will all be on new contracts. So they don't have the defense to win when their young forwards are on ELCs, like Chicago or Pittsburgh.

In fact, to me, Chicago executed a near perfect rebuild/Cup win. They first drafted a bunch of great defensemen and signed a big fish, Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, and then Campbell. Then they got the complimentary pieces like Bolland, Byfuglian, etc. Only after they had those guys in the system, did they tank and grab their highly drafted forwards, Toews and Kane, so that the entire team was peaking at the same time, and that time happened to be while Kane and Toews were on their ELCs, so they could afford to get the elite complimentary pieces that you need to win the Cup.

Old
08-21-2012, 06:51 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm not worried about you having to pay those guys. I'm just stating that by the time those guys are ready to be NHL regulars, the big 4 will all be on new contracts. So they don't have the defense to win when their young forwards are on ELCs, like Chicago or Pittsburgh.

In fact, to me, Chicago executed a near perfect rebuild/Cup win. They first drafted a bunch of great defensemen and signed a big fish, Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, and then Campbell. Then they got the complimentary pieces like Bolland, Byfuglian, etc. Only after they had those guys in the system, did they tank and grab their highly drafted forwards, Toews and Kane, so that the entire team was peaking at the same time, and that time happened to be while Kane and Toews were on their ELCs, so they could afford to get the elite complimentary pieces that you need to win the Cup.
Duncan Keith was drafted in the 2nd round in 2002....long before they started a re-build..if they knew he'd turn out as good as he has, they may not have drafted Seabrook or Barker

who's to say the Oilers haven't drafted a Keith-lite" already (like Petry for example)

Old
08-21-2012, 06:58 PM
dannyj10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
How is Hall's offensive production clearly inferior to Tavares?
Their PPG was very similar through their first 2 seasons and yes, Hall did miss some time but he has played enough games in the first 2 seasons for PPG to be relevant.
I too think that Tavares has a higher ceiling than Hall but it's not by as much as you think it is, Hall is so incredibly underrated by non-Oiler fans.
I don't underrate that kid at all!!! I'd give my left *** to have Hall be on Sid's wing!!

Old
08-21-2012, 07:01 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Duncan Keith was drafted in the 2nd round in 2002....long before they started a re-build..if they knew he'd turn out as good as he has, they may not have drafted Seabrook or Barker

who's to say the Oilers haven't drafted a Keith-lite" already (like Petry for example)
My point, is that they had elite defensemen playing while Toews and Kane were on their ELCs. They also drafted Barker and Seabrook in the subsequent first rounds, so they were obviously after high-end defensemen before their forwards.

My point is just that the Hawks built from the back-end out, purposely. Petry is only a year younger than Keith was when he won the Norris, so unless Petry turns out to be a stud #1D next season, I would be wary as an Oiler fan.

Old
08-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyj10 View Post
I don't underrate that kid at all!!! I'd give my left *** to have Hall be on Sid's wing!!
Sochi 2014 - I think Hall will be there taking over Iginla's role.

Old
08-21-2012, 07:03 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
well said.

Old
08-21-2012, 07:06 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:

On and on about Petry. The guy is already 24 and you guys treat him like he's 20 and breaking out. I'd be more focused on Justin Schultz than this guy.

Old
08-21-2012, 07:08 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

6-7M, 4-6 years i'd think. The longer it is, the cheaper it will be.

i remember jason spezza's 'bridge' contract was something like 3 years 4.5M per (after 55pts in 78 games), so with salary inflation since then that range seems about right.

Closed Thread