HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stroman Suspended 50 Games for PED's, Bautista out for year.

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2012, 01:22 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Jenkins has looked good out of the pen. I can't see an opportunity for him to start this year, but depending on what we pick up, he could be in line to compete with guys like Happ and Alvarez (and CV if resigned) for the 5th starter, or a spot in the pen.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:27 PM
aingefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Hopefully in a corresponding move the Jays send Cole to Lansing.

Cole would start for Lansing along side Sanchez, Nicolino and Syndergaard and DeSclafani
Thinking Cole might stay in Vancouver to help with the playoff push, though I'm sure he could handle the move - same with Avendano who's killing the Northwest league too.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:29 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

For those that wanted swisher (including me)

Quote:
Nick Swisher may look to match Jayson Werth’s seven-year, $126MM contract when he hits free agency after the season, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...medium=twitter

Good luck getting that bud.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:31 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:

that contract would hold as much value to whatever team signed him to it as the Werth contract. I guess we know why the yankees are letting him walk.

Last edited by dredeye: 08-21-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old
08-21-2012, 01:34 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aingefan View Post
Thinking Cole might stay in Vancouver to help with the playoff push, though I'm sure he could handle the move - same with Avendano who's killing the Northwest league too.
Ya I guess that makes sense. Gives them experience.

I was hoping Cole would have been in Lansing by now, Avendano too with a chance for Dundein next year if things went well.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:34 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Not sure I get your point. He wasn't in the game so I mentioned it.

you could have said it was just to give him a rest

Old
08-21-2012, 01:35 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Norris promoted to Vancouver. He's struggled a lot this season but he's still got great stuff. Missing bats and not walking too many right now but he's been hit hard. Seems like he's pitched better than what his ERA has shown and I guess Jays believe that too.
Nessy and Lopes going to Vancouver too!

Playoff run is right I guess! Build on the already record setting attendance #s in Vancouver

Old
08-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:

Definitely interested, but not at that price. Holy.

He's going to give you 20hr, 60+rbi every year, but he's 31. Not necessarily a young pup anymore.

Doesn't look like he's actually asking for that though. Kind of looks like a twisting of words.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:37 PM
aingefan

Quote:
Jenkins has looked good out of the pen. I can't see an opportunity for him to start this year, but depending on what we pick up, he could be in line to compete with guys like Happ and Alvarez (and CV if resigned) for the 5th starter, or a spot in the pen.
Nice that he's boosted his stock after a rough first half.

Not sure where he can fit in for '13 - in fact, there's likely a major logjam by the end of the year throughout the upper levels.

Most of the bullpen seems pretty set - if one of Lyon or Fraser return, I already count eight guys (with one of Happ/Villy in there, and the other in the rotation). Three rotation spots are full with Morrow, Romero and Happ/Villy - and maybe four with Alvarez. Not only that, AAA Buffalo (I like the ring of that) is gonna have 8-10 guys who have either recent major league experience, or are coming off recent high level success (very good performance within the past two seasons at AA or higher - which is where I think Jenkins slides in).

Fast forward to the tail end of '13, and maybe Drabek/Perez and Hutch are back in that mix, along with guys pushing from AA - like Stilson/Stroman.

Assuming that starting pitching is targeted, I can't see him cracking the staff without major moves.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:39 PM
aingefan

Quote:

Playoff run is right I guess! Build on the already record setting attendance #s in Vancouver
Cool, both have performed well.

Will be very curious to see what happens with Norris there...maybe he was testing/working on his stuff in the Appy league, because the Northwest hitters are that much more mature.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:

lol, that is so not happening. I would be surprised if he got anywhere close to that. He's a really solid player but he's not an elite player and will be turning 32 by the time he signs. At best, he should hope he can get what Jason Bay got which was 4yr/60M but I suppose it can't hurt to ask for something ridiculously high.

Quote:

Well deserved with Lopes. Nessy is interesting. He hasn't been great and struggled with strikeouts but he is showing some good pop and he is a catcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aingefan View Post
Cole isn't really much of a prospect. He is 22 years old and repeating the level.

Avendano intrigues me. He was great in Lansing as a reliever but was put in Vancouver to start and he's done an excellent job so far. Should get a promotion IMO.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:36 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
you could have said it was just to give him a rest
or I could have said he didn't play that night because he didn't. It was posted so that guys knew he didn't play and there wasn't a line available for him on the night. I'm really not sure why your getting worked up about it though

Old
08-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Everlong
-

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but...

Barry Davis
Lawrie has been shut down from rehab. Won't play again for at least a week. Farrell says too soon to say if he's done for year.

On a more positive note, Bautista and Morrow should be back by the weekend.

Old
08-21-2012, 06:11 PM
SportsProsperity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post

Barry Davis
Lawrie has been shut down from rehab. Won't play again for at least a week. Farrell says too soon to say if he's done for year.

Not sure if this is a positive note but Lind will be back this weekend too.

I hope they keep Gose up after they return. But even if Gose goes down he'll be back up on Sept.1

Old
08-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsProsperity View Post

I hope they keep Gose up after they return. But even if Gose goes down he'll be back up on Sept.1
Lind returning isn't positive news. I would rather see Cooper continue to play than Lind.

Don't really see the point for Gose to be up after Jose returns. He should get everyday at-bats in Triple A but then again, it doesn't make much sense to burn an option just to have him down there for a couple of weeks.

Old
08-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post

Barry Davis

WTF?

How does Lawrie go from being possibly back tonight to maybe being shut down for the season?

Old
08-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
WTF?

How does Lawrie go from being possibly back tonight to maybe being shut down for the season?
Apparently he's been hiding some symptoms from the trainers. Wouldn't surprise me considering his pride and the fact that everyone in the clubhouse is injured.

Old
08-21-2012, 06:52 PM
aingefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Well deserved with Lopes. Nessy is interesting. He hasn't been great and struggled with strikeouts but he is showing some good pop and he is a catcher.
Plate discipline's not great, but he's got plenty of pop in his bat.

Quote:
Cole isn't really much of a prospect. He is 22 years old and repeating the level.
Hard to say, he IS just in his second year. Started his career late, iirc, due to religious commitments. He's dominating his competition which is predominantly around his age and experience level, so there's that. Given his year this year, not unreasonable to think he could be pushed next year - start in Lansing, maybe even in Dunedin, and be on track for a mid-season promotion.

Quote:
Avendano intrigues me. He was great in Lansing as a reliever but was put in Vancouver to start and he's done an excellent job so far. Should get a promotion IMO.
Absolutely. Big arm, lots of K's his entire career, slightly high BB rates. He's been in pro ball a while and has been moved very slowly for some reason - I see no reason why he couldn't begin next year in Dunedin.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:46 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
or I could have said he didn't play that night because he didn't. It was posted so that guys knew he didn't play and there wasn't a line available for him on the night. I'm really not sure why your getting worked up about it though

slow down there bud, idk why u made it a big issue, I just wanted to let people know he was just given a rest or some people might have assumed he got injured or something. I was not getting worked up by it, if anything its you.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:49 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsProsperity View Post

Is las vegas making the post season? they have a good record, like 15 games above 500, If they are making the playoffs than I say send him down if not than keep him up, why send him down and burn an option when he will only be down for 2 weeks

Old
08-21-2012, 11:59 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
Is las vegas making the post season? they have a good record, like 15 games above 500, If they are making the playoffs than I say send him down if not than keep him up, why send him down and burn an option when he will only be down for 2 weeks
They're 4.5 games back of their division leader.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:02 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
They're 4.5 games back of their division leader.

yeah I just looked at the standings,

any idea how the playoff format works in PCL, I read the procedure but im confused, is it like top 2 teams make playoffs in each division, IM guessing there is a wildcard but i am not able to find it at the moment

Old
08-22-2012, 08:34 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

going to the game in baltimore on saturday..its been a bad year but looks like morrow will make his first start that day and bautista should be back..at least i have something to look forward to

Old
08-22-2012, 10:29 AM
caribouPINE

Ricky Romero's career is going to mirror Dontrelle Willis. He'll bounce around a bit then be out of the majors entirely in a few years.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Ricky Romero's career is going to mirror Dontrelle Willis. He'll bounce around a bit then be out of the majors entirely in a few years.
That's a bit of a reach. But potentially a good comparison if Ricky continues on this path.

However, Romero hasn't been shutdown twice because of anxiety issues like Willis was.

I'll chalk this season up as a guy who's in his own head and it's totally messing him up. If there's one thing about Ricky, it's that he's very emotional on the mound. I have little doubt that he'll bounce back fine next season with a fresh new start and a refreshed attitude and mindset

Hell, all it might take to right the ship is RR picking up a W in his next start.

Willis struggled for YEARS. Ricky's been struggling since June.

Closed Thread