HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll: Will there be a lockout?

View Poll Results: Will there be a lockout?
Yes, the entire season is lost 10 9.90%
Yes, half the season is lost 21 20.79%
Yes, part of the season is lost 59 58.42%
No, the owners/players learned from past mistakes 10 9.90%
No, but scantilly clad cheerleaders are mandated for every team, causing higher scoring games! 8 7.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-20-2012, 09:14 PM
DATS-O-MATIC

vCash: 500
Poll: Will there be a lockout?

Just want everyone's thoughts on a potential lockout...

DATS-O-MATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Yeah, Gary Bettman has a track record of not getting **** done so he'll obviously preside over yet another lockout.

Cost certainty, *****es!!

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:47 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

I think they will lose a part of the season. While everyone will run around blaming Bettman and he deserves his fair share for this happening for third time he has been in charge, I think Fehr deserves more than he likely will get. I cannot understand for the life of me what took the players so long to get to the table. All of those tours around Europe and to meet each team were great, but they got to the bargaining table awfully late in my opinion. I don't think the players have been near urgent enough.

They knew the owners would push a lockout. This talk of we could play under the old lockout and we have our own proposal was bad when it took that long to come back. What they proposed could have been brought out at the all-star game. Since it took very little of what the owners offered. Why wait an additional month? Sorry just critical of that side as well in this whole process.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:54 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Yep, a partial season.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I have no faith in anything this league does. One, two, or even a three year lockout wouldn't surprise me. All of the great things done over the last 6 years just erased.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

They'll play like 60 games.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Would we benefit from a shortened season? I think it could be a great thing, and it could be a terrible thing. No in between. On one hand you got a veteran team that could be prepared to go and with less games avoid the massive injury bug that has crippled us at times the past few seasons. On the other hand you might get a veteran team NOT prepared, young guys struggle, defense and Howard have a bad start, and the team sinks in the standings to start out the season.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:15 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Should probably get that Grand Rapids Griffins sticky thread back up an running if our votes are close to what is happening. Don't know why it went away to begin with. Nyquist and Smith are going to be mighty bored toying with AHL guys.

Should make the AHL fascinating this year and the WJC. Can the Oilers option down a guy like RNH or is that not allowed because he played to many games up? Curious to see how that goes, well not really hoping we still have a season. But a lot of AHL players are going to wind up in the ECHL if they lockout.

Old
08-21-2012, 05:52 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

I think we'll miss a few games (or have a later start) this season. Kind of like La Liga last year. Stupid rich people ruining our entertainment.

But I like the cheerleader option too

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:50 AM
doublejack

It is a virtual certainty that there will be a lockout. The only real question is how much of the season will be lost.

I feel it will be the whole thing. Many players will play in Europe or the minors, or pursue some other interest. Once the season is delayed the principles of the agreement will become more important to the players than the urgency to reach said agreement.

On the owners side, 20 teams were losing money anyway... so a lost season changes what, exactly?

The final factor is how very far apart the two sides are right now. IMO, this is actually a more bleak situation than the last round of CBA negotiations... and we all know how that went.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:47 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

I think we'll lose some time. And Gary Bettman has to go. I know someone will tell me it's the owners, but even figurehead leaders have to have some responsibility and he should be aware with the title comes the possibility your ass in on the line. If he gets a free pass because the owners are making the real decisions, then that's tantamount to admitting he's a useless tit with no real job outside of barking his fat little head into a microphone with weasel words and fabricated statistics to back up the league's goof-ups.

Squirly little **** just wants to line his pockets and bilk the players, as usual. Fire him.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:07 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

NHL/NHLPA is run by very incompetent people. A lockout is a certainty. The only thing i am uncertain about, is how many games will be lost?

20 seems very likely.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

I wouldn't mind 20 games lost because I feel like 60 games is the sweet spot for the season anyway.

I guess my question is why does everybody have such a pessimistic view on the negotiations? I haven't kept up with the news.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:29 PM
sarcastro

Maybe I can get CenterIce for half price this year if they only play 50 games...

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:47 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Maybe I can get CenterIce for half price this year if they only play 50 games...
Don't bet on it.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Don't bet on it.
Yeah I was pretty surprised at the price CenterIce was charging for a half season plan normally. It was more than half price. Guess they really want to encourage you to buy the whole thing.

The quality of feeds was so bad for me, though, I stopped ordering last season. It was like somebody rubbed Vaseline all over the lens each game. And for whatever reason the HD games wouldn't work with Charter in my area. Rubbish terrible quality SD hockey.

Luckily I still get FSD in HD, so all was right in the Wings world. Every lazy Franzen shift in beautiful HD.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:57 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Yeah I was pretty surprised at the price CenterIce was charging for a half season plan normally. It was more than half price. Guess they really want to encourage you to buy the whole thing.

The quality of feeds was so bad for me, though, I stopped ordering last season. It was like somebody rubbed Vaseline all over the lens each game. And for whatever reason the HD games wouldn't work with Charter in my area. Rubbish terrible quality SD hockey.

Luckily I still get FSD in HD, so all was right in the Wings world. Every lazy Franzen shift in beautiful HD.
Hockey is hockey for me while I like the HD, I will still take the SD stuff. The one thing that annoys me is LA, Anaheim and San Jose so read California teams all have a really weird camera bay. It isn't like the other teams in the league. I don't like it and since I am a huge Kopitar fan I find myself watching the Kings and being annoyed by the stupid camera angle. It just seems farther away wondering if anybody else has noticed it.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Hockeystreams is a far better option if you've got a good enough connection.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:51 PM
TatarTangle

Season will start after the Winter Classic, Bettman knows a lot of money is left on the table if they don't have it.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
I love how everyone blindly blames Bettman. There's the owners and the players. Bettman is the puppet for the owners while Fehr is the puppet for the players. Don't blame these two guys, blame the players and owners.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:41 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
I love how everyone blindly blames Bettman. There's the owners and the players. Bettman is the puppet for the owners while Fehr is the puppet for the players. Don't blame these two guys, blame the players and owners.
I think it's more the fact he's been in charge for a potential 3rd lockout in an 18 year period.

His fault or not, that's kind of a high average and he's one of the few elements that remains across all 3 instances.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:56 AM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

^Exactly. Why does he get all the perks of his role, like a massive and increasing salary, yet none of the responsibility because when anything bad happens it's the owners? No, it's partly him too and let's for arguments sake say it wasn't. He still has to go. It's just one of those things where if you want the figurehead role, it has to involve playing the entire role, including termination. Not just the fun convenient stuff.

Quote:

Franzen's skating is why I can still comfortably watch hockey in 60Hz. Helm on the other hand...

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:20 AM
Z40
High Compete Level

Quote:
I wouldn't mind 20 games lost because I feel like 60 games is the sweet spot for the season anyway.

I guess my question is why does everybody have such a pessimistic view on the negotiations? I haven't kept up with the news.
60 games with no training camp or preseason. Might be rough at first. If there is a partial lockout, I sincerely hope the teams get some practice in before the Winter Classic. I want to see a good damn game... dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Hockey is hockey for me while I like the HD, I will still take the SD stuff. The one thing that annoys me is LA, Anaheim and San Jose so read California teams all have a really weird camera bay. It isn't like the other teams in the league. I don't like it and since I am a huge Kopitar fan I find myself watching the Kings and being annoyed by the stupid camera angle. It just seems farther away wondering if anybody else has noticed it.
I have noticed that actually. It seems like the camera is a little bit farther away from the ice. I also hate broadcasts that have crappy lighting. I can't remember any specific teams right now.

Z40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:54 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
I chose the entire season, but at least half of the season is gone. Fehr vs Bettman is like The Immovable Object vs The Unstoppable Force. This isn't going to end well, and someone is going to end up with their feelings hurt.

dj4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:52 AM
doublejack

Quote:

I guarantee far more than 20 games will be lost. A half season, or a little more than a half season is the best case scenario right now.

Why is everyone so pessimistic on the negotiations? Well, the two sides are worlds apart. They are so far apart, in fact, that they aren't even making counter offers or trying to find middle ground. The NHLPA and league have presented offers that are vastly different, while outright rejecting the other side's offer. They aren't talking the same language.

This is going to take months to resolve, and neither side has stepped up to the bargaining table in earnest yet. I'm pretty much counting on there not being a season, so I am getting more involved in fantasy football than I normally do.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote