HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM] Taylor Hall signs seven year extension, $6m per

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
haven't read the whole thread so not sure if this has been mentioned already.

i don't get people saying that oilers can't afford the big 4, halls cap hit right now is 3.75mil, so is RNH's and so is Yakupov's. by signing all three of them to say 6 mill a year contract extensions, the oilers are only adding 6.75mil a year in cap hit.

the only one due for a large raise is eberle, his cap hit is around 1mil right now. so signing all four players to roughly 6mil a year deals, would add around 11mil in total to the oilers cap, which they can easily afford.

people forget that they arn't starting with a salary of zero and getting 6mil a year each.

i think it's just haters hoping the oilers can't afford them and have to dump some of them off. not happening though.
I think the only way one of those boys gets "dumped" is if they're traded for a defenseman. I'd say there's a < 10% chance that any one of them requests a trade/kills their own value/doesn't sign etc. etc. or what have you. They like playing with each other too much and there's a lot of high character on the roster.

And to be frank, while it is extremely early in each of their careers... they do have some depth coming down the pipe in the form of scoring and two way wingers for their top 9, some grit as well... this could make someone like Yakupov or *God forbid* Eberle available for a close to blockbuster trade. But as I said, this type of scenario won't arise for quite some time. Horcoff's money comes off the book soon enough, as will Hemsky's (although I'd like to keep him) along with Khabibulin's etc.

I don't foresee many problems hindering the Oilers in at least the nearer future in retaining these guys. As an aside, I'd say that's another reason why management isn't willing to go out and pay $4-5-6 million per year on a long term deal for a star forward or defenseman, knowing the youngens contracts are coming up and they want to see how it pans out first before they start taking chances in the UFA market.

Old
08-21-2012, 07:51 PM
MISC*
Negged.

I think the Oilers bottom 6 will be more of a problem than the top 6.

Old
08-21-2012, 07:54 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
6@6 would be great for Edmonton. Even better if they could eventually lock up all 5 for that. Any team is going to struggle to get any proven high quality UFAs to move to them for that kind of money, even harder for Edmonton. 5 birds in the hand and all that, just do it.

What's the worst case? That they run out of cap in a few years and need to trade one for a #1-type defensive Dman. Not really a problem is it.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
I think the Oilers bottom 6 will be more of a problem than the top 6.
as it was for Chicago.

however, a lot of their future bottom 6 regulars... Lander, Pitlick, Paajarvi, Reider, Hartikainen... are receiving extensive seasoning in the AHL... I think they're taking their sweet time with these guys and will only bring a few of them up once they know they're just a piece or two short, ready for a push. Their scoring up front should be set for several years now... that's why they've been drafting crash and bang players in the past couple drafts to give them grit for the foreseeable future.

Jones, Smyth, Horcoff and whoever else, if they're still around, will be coming dirt cheap.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:44 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Agreed, I am not getting all of this talk that the Oilers won't be able to re-sign everyone. Come on folks.

While the Oilers have an enviable amount of talent, that is no guarantee for success. That's why they play the games.

Besides, my boy Johnny will lead the Isles back to prominence anyway so all of this is moot.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Seriously, This.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Roof Daddy

While we're on the topic of future cap concerns and whether the team is built the "right" way, it should be mentioned that playoff success can also be obtained through trade deadline deals, and we have done a fine job in stockpiling talent through the draft. We have enough prospects that moving some, or picks, or both for an upgrade via TD rental will have little effect on organizational depth.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:10 PM
belair

I'm pretty certain it's fair to assume he's in line for a 5.5M to 6.5M range AAV for the duration of his contract. I doubt we'd have any arguments.

My question is why we're only hearing of Taylor Hall's contract being worked out. I'd argue that Jordan Eberle, especially after last season, is looking like an equal - if not more integral - part of this team moving forward.

If I'm Steve Tambellini, these guys are brothers going forward. Same cap-hit, same term.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:20 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
I'm pretty certain it's fair to assume he's in line for a 5.5M to 6.5M range AAV for the duration of his contract. I doubt we'd have any arguments.

My question is why we're only hearing of Taylor Hall's contract being worked out. I'd argue that Jordan Eberle, especially after last season, is looking like an equal - if not more integral - part of this team moving forward.

If I'm Steve Tambellini, these guys are brothers going forward. Same cap-hit, same term.
The reports around Edmonton are suggesting Hall's deal is closer to being done, but that talks are ongoing with Eberle as well and if I had to guess I would say they would both get done within weeks of each other IMO.

I get the feeling Hall and Eberle might take a Tavares type discount over the long-term, but if not I am ok with 6 mill per if they sign for 5+ years.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:46 PM
McArthur

After the way that last season ended, hall will make at least a million per more than horcoff

Old
08-22-2012, 12:01 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
After the way that last season ended, hall will make at least a million per more than horcoff
You really think the minimum he will make is a 6.5 mill cap hit? Seems a bit expensive and unlikely.

I think he will get 5.5-6 mill, just under Horcoff. Even the kids won't be stupid enough to ask for 7 million just because Horcoff won the lottery.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Pockets16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
wishful thinking

if the NYR can lock up 4 premier players (Richards, Gaborik, Nash, Lundqvist) at 6.6M+ and still be a great team, no reason why the Oilers can't do the same thing
The Oilers don't have a goalie remotely close to Lundqvist's level and probably won't for the next 5+ years, their defense is also barely NHL caliber.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:43 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

hockey insider had it first

Old
08-22-2012, 01:49 AM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Not trying to derail the thread or anything but if he gets 6x6 after 2 hortened seasons then what does Yakupov get if he doesnt have 2 shortened seasons?

Or Eberle after a PPG season?

They are going to be paying 4 guys over 6 mil on offense all on their second contracts. **** is going to get nuts.
hemsky got 5 mill i think hall will sign 3@6

Old
08-22-2012, 02:09 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
kind of sucks that these guys get massive payouts out of their first ELC.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:40 AM
RandV
It's a wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
You don't think that had anything to do with some very large contracts and a screw up faxing paperwork?

Did that stuff just not happen? Did we delete it from our memory?

The cap is also much higher now. It's like people just like to just throw Chicago out without any sort of analysis as to why they got a little messed up with the cap.

The Oilers right now are running their cap perfectly for the future.
This massive reply isn't really relevant to what I'm saying... I know it's prompted because people always tend to go overboard with the 'team X is never going to be able to keep all those players!' thing (though I think that is dieing down somewhat). All I'm saying however is that Edmonton is likely going to just miss that sweet spot that let Chicago dominate for a year. That's not to say they can't become a good team that can compete, or they won't be able to keep all their players.

To put it into perspective, Edmonton has Eberle, Hall, RNH, and Yakupov. Chicago had Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, and Campbell, plus an exceptional supporting cast of Bolland, Versteeg, Ladd, Kopecky, Madden, Byfuglien, and Hjarlmasson. Right now Edmonton has about a good a collection of ELC players as you'll ever see, but unless they can hit the playoffs now the timing won't be right to ever have a team that's that good.

As a Canuck fan I'm happy that we don't have to face an Edmonton team that has booth a strong set of established players plus these amazing young kids on ELC salaries.

Old
08-22-2012, 05:06 AM
blackwater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 450
[QUOTE]This massive reply isn't really relevant to what I'm saying... I know it's prompted because people always tend to go overboard with the 'team X is never going to be able to keep all those players!' thing (though I think that is dieing down somewhat). All I'm saying however is that Edmonton is likely going to just miss that sweet spot that let Chicago dominate for a year. That's not to say they can't become a good team that can compete, or they won't be able to keep all their players.

To put it into perspective, Edmonton has Eberle, Hall, RNH, and Yakupov. Chicago had Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, and Campbell, plus an exceptional supporting cast of Bolland, Versteeg, Ladd, Kopecky, Madden, Byfuglien, and Hjarlmasson. Right now Edmonton has about a good a collection of ELC players as you'll ever see, but unless they can hit the playoffs now the timing won't be right to ever have a team that's that good.

As a Canuck fan I'm happy that we don't have to face an Edmonton team that has booth a strong set of established players plus these amazing young kids on ELC salaries.[QUOTE]

how many impact players on ELC did vancouver have last year? or the year before?

why is the chicago model the only model you throw out there when you talk about the oilers chace at winning? how many impact ELC players did boston have on their roster when they won?

the chicago model of winning with high impact players on ELC is just one of many formulas for a winning team. many other winning teams have used a dominant core of players in their mid 20s with some solid vets and a few rookies sprinkled in, and obviously good goaltending.

the oilers should be a dominant force in the west for the better part of the next decade if the team is managed even remotely proper.

Old
08-22-2012, 05:16 AM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
This massive reply isn't really relevant to what I'm saying... I know it's prompted because people always tend to go overboard with the 'team X is never going to be able to keep all those players!' thing (though I think that is dieing down somewhat). All I'm saying however is that Edmonton is likely going to just miss that sweet spot that let Chicago dominate for a year. That's not to say they can't become a good team that can compete, or they won't be able to keep all their players.

As a Canuck fan I'm happy that we don't have to face an Edmonton team that has booth a strong set of established players plus these amazing young kids on ELC salaries.
How many players on an ELC did LA have?

I count Slava Voynov, Jordan Nolan (the fourth liner...) and Kyle Clifford (the guy that sat in the press box the whole playoffs.)

The kings also have five guys making over 5 million, and 8 guys making over 3 million...

The Oilers can Sign all four of Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Yakupov at a reasonable price for an elite top six, and then spend 3 million on third liners and 4 defenceman and have a solid back end too. It isn't like the only way to win in this league is to have your whole team still on their ELC.

Not to mention, the Hawks would likely still be really really strong if Talon wasn't stupid and missed QO's on like 5 RFA's that they then had to overpay to retain.

Old
08-22-2012, 08:31 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
How many players on an ELC did LA have?

I count Slava Voynov, Jordan Nolan (the fourth liner...) and Kyle Clifford (the guy that sat in the press box the whole playoffs.)

The kings also have five guys making over 5 million, and 8 guys making over 3 million...

The Oilers can Sign all four of Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Yakupov at a reasonable price for an elite top six, and then spend 3 million on third liners and 4 defenceman and have a solid back end too. It isn't like the only way to win in this league is to have your whole team still on their ELC.

Not to mention, the Hawks would likely still be really really strong if Talon wasn't stupid and missed QO's on like 5 RFA's that they then had to overpay to retain.
Dwight King too.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:16 AM
JackJ

Hall - 6yr/30mil
Eberle - 6yr/33.6mil

Fair for both sides.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:44 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Hall - 6yr/30mil
Eberle - 6yr/33.6mil

Fair for both sides.
I would be surprised if they end up with different cap hits.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:50 AM
DJOpus

I'd pay Eberle a hell of a lot more than Hall.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
hemsky got 5 mill i think hall will sign 3@6
Hemsky was a pure UFA contract, not a second contract...

Old
08-22-2012, 10:01 AM
BlueChip01

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post

So you automatically assuming any depth players coming up will not be contributors?

Nobody thought Burrows and Kesler would amount to too much either. You can;t predict that much.

This ELC stuff gets so overrated as well. The cap is higher than when Chicago won the cup. You can have the potential star players signed to big contracts and still have room for good players to support them.

Like others have said, can somebody list off all of the high performing ELC players on the last few cup teams and runner up teams?

Old
08-22-2012, 10:02 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
I would be surprised if they end up with different cap hits.
I'm thinking that too. It would be very telling of how close their relationship truly is.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Hall - 6yr/30mil
Eberle - 6yr/33.6mil

Fair for both sides.
a lot more realistic than the 10 years @6.7m for each I saw on the oilers thread