HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capuano's Grade

View Poll Results: What would you grade Capuano to this point?
A 2 2.67%
B 2 2.67%
C 26 34.67%
D 27 36.00%
F 18 24.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-21-2012, 09:27 PM
leaponover

vCash: 500
Capuano's Grade

Based on the other poll about the Islanders biggest hole to fill I thought it was interesting that a successful NHL coach was not the runaway favorite. I came into last season with an open mind on Cappy. Now I officially desire someone with more success and more experience.

So i'd like to see how many people are actually happy with him. I grade him a C.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:53 PM
seafoam

vCash: 1000
I voted "C" but really give him a "C-". a.k.a one step away from getting fired.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Original Rob

Rather than demanding an NHL-caliber coach, many of us give ol' Cappy a break because he's in over his head. Battered wives, we are.

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:34 PM
NYI JT91

F. Plain and simple. Can't make adjustments during a game, shows no emotion, Took 2 months to call up toughness when it was sorely needed. I honestly truly believe I could do a better job then him. Every time I watch a game I feel as though our coach has gotten sick and we find a random guy that works at the nvmc and we put a suit on him and say stand behind the bench. Can't wait for dougie to take over 1/4 of the way through the season.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Isles Junkie

He is the least creative/proactive coach i've ever seen. I realize he doesn't have much to work with here, but it took him 60 games to change up the 2nd and 3rd lines to try to get some more scoring. Not that I believe it would have made much of a difference, but if he made the switch after 15 games like all of us were screaming for him to do, then MAYBE we could have had some decent secondary scoring, and maybe we could have been a better team because of it.

He gets a D- in my book. Only thing that keeps him from getting an F is how he handled the goalie situation, which I thought he handled pretty well.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:09 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 740
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
I gave him a D but no I probably should have given him a C-. He's not good at all but I'd like to see how he'd do with a better team. If the team made a big improvment and they still were losing then a change would need to be made (obviously).

islesfan3991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:52 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
He is the least creative/proactive coach i've ever seen. I realize he doesn't have much to work with here, but it took him 60 games to change up the 2nd and 3rd lines to try to get some more scoring. Not that I believe it would have made much of a difference, but if he made the switch after 15 games like all of us were screaming for him to do, then MAYBE we could have had some decent secondary scoring, and maybe we could have been a better team because of it.

He gets a D- in my book. Only thing that keeps him from getting an F is how he handled the goalie situation, which I thought he handled pretty well.
I agree with a lot of this. I don't think a coach needs a short temper but his patience goes way into the realm of stubborn. His inability to mix and match has been grueling and there are plenty of players that have shown spurts of talent that could easily be interchanged in and out to see how the lines react.

Of course he doesn't have a lot to work with but if you want to sail a sinking ship you can either try to find shortcuts to hit land as soon as possible or go slow and steady and hope you don't CAPsize. That's my new name for him, lol, CAPsize!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:03 AM
JKP

F. I'm just not a fan.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:24 AM
steveat

I gave him a D because he is not a coach with NHL experience, so on effort alone, it would not be fair to give him an F. He had no idea what he was getting himself into.

Showing no emotion is good for a coach. Emotion just distracts you from the task at hand. For those of you old enough to remember Arbor, he was the same way. I think he lost his cool one time in his career.

He was considered least creative because he kept the SAME lines for the longest time and not trying new things out to create chemistry. He admitted this on camera. For that, he does not deserve an F. This means he is smart enough to realize his misgivings. I think we will see a different Cappy this year, but still not someone I would like to see behind the bench. His heart is in the right place, but we need a full on NHL coach.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
F. Plain and simple. Can't make adjustments during a game, shows no emotion, Took 2 months to call up toughness when it was sorely needed. I honestly truly believe I could do a better job then him. Every time I watch a game I feel as though our coach has gotten sick and we find a random guy that works at the nvmc and we put a suit on him and say stand behind the bench. Can't wait for dougie to take over 1/4 of the way through the season.
This x10

The guy also has no idea what to do in goalie pull situations

I give him an F and I honestly think he was the biggest problem with our team last season along with the lack of toughness (which was also his fault in that it took him forever to get some gritty players in the line up like Haley/Cizikas/Ullstrom)

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
He was considered least creative because he kept the SAME lines for the longest time and not trying new things out to create chemistry. He admitted this on camera. For that, he does not deserve an F. This means he is smart enough to realize his misgivings. I think we will see a different Cappy this year, but still not someone I would like to see behind the bench. His heart is in the right place, but we need a full on NHL coach.

Time to take off the training wheels. Part of the process. Of course, it took Snow, what, 2 years to realize that we needed additional defensive depth and help at goal? So, we're scheduled for an upgrade at coach around 2014.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:05 AM
brassbonanza13

The most disconcerting thing about Cappy is that he doesn't seem to have any system in place. A real coach would do wonders for this young team...just look at how the Blues did when Hitchcock came in and implemented a tight defensive system.

brassbonanza13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:33 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
I give him a pass on this particular point because he asked for it and didn't get it.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:26 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
I give him a pass on this particular point because he asked for it and didn't get it.
And by gameplay I gave him a B.....but in execution a C. If we factor in what Snow and Wang do (NO HALEY! No end to Rolston's uselessness, Nino('s cap) must stay all year) I could give him a higher grade on hypotheticals, but I won't. Cappy earns a C.

Now he has a better defense (if Viz stays) and goaltending (once DP retires yet again to hot dog distribution for the year) so we can honestly grade him.

And Cappy is FINALLY without Scott Scrotum's useless assistant. He has his own guys now.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Veteran journeyman

Has to be an F, or a D if you're one of those teachers who doesn't like failing people, if you just hold him accountable for what coaches should be held accountable for...players being prepared for certain teams, the team giving a consistent effort every night in every period, the net...not being empty with 3:40 left on the clock, etc. But, this being the Islanders, there's probably more to the story. The problem with our evaluations is none of us knows who's really responsible for what in the organization because they don't tell us much, and no one really stands up and says, "the buck stops with me." So, we bring up topics and basically ride the carousel of blame for a while...from the players, to the coach, to the GM, to the owner, to the situation on Long Island...and then we move on to the next topic and start over. I guess the best we can do on a given topic is say, "This is typically the responsibility of a coach/GM/owner, so that's who we'll hold accountable."

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:44 PM
13th Floor

D. All the criticism in the thread is exactly right. The only reason I give him an F is because of what he was given to work with.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:57 PM
steveat

I also do kinda blame him for not getting the most out of players. I mean Rolston and Reasoner aren't the greatest players, but they were certainly capable of doing a lot more than they did for us. Cappy was not not able to get the most out of players. Reasoner came off a season high the year before...How do you do so awful the following year? I know reasoner can do 30 points easily and Rolston looked great for Boston. All our players we have can do so much more, but Cappy can't get them to do it. I bet you if we had a real coach, JT would have been a 110 point player last year.

We blew leads like they were going out of style.

I don't know if you guys noticed last season, but I think we were trying SO hard to make a play out of our own zone, that it hurt us. Sometimes you just CAN'T make a play..so instead of circling around and or trying to get full control of the puck to make a play..CLEAR IT. The other team may get possession back, but at least you get to reset yourself too!

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:50 AM
malPHONEY

Al Arbour couldn't win with this lineup.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 07:40 AM
On Edge

D and probably way too generous.

Frankly, I believe Arbour could do more with this mediocre line up. Probably would make a difference of 5 or more games and improve the play/career of every player in the lineup.

Does anyone really believe that Capuano is respected by players the way an Arbour would be?

I'd LOVE to have a hall of fame coach behind the bench with this team.

Giving Capuano a pass because even "Arbour couldnt win with this line" up gives him a pass he hasn't earned.

Sorry.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
Al Arbour couldn't win with this lineup.
Yeah, but he sure as hell would find a way to lower goals against.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:48 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Yeah, but he sure as hell would find a way to lower goals against.

Cheers,

Dan-o
This. And Cappy has new coaches. Our D improves even without Viz. Better D, better offense (Streit is over the hump and Hamonic should improve), better physical play (Snow's additions). Add one of the kids in net is a year older, once DP goes back to pre-retirement.

Now we worry about making up for PAP, and that means one first line winger tempered by no Rolston.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Menwithouthat tricks

I gave him a C, could have gone with a D. It's been so long, that I've forgotten most of the stuff that irritated me about him. Truth be told, there are many coachs who act as traffic cap and are just okay. He's not Hitchcock or Tortorrella or someone whose coaching makes the team better. He doesn't have his players set up those fraction-of-a-second picks that don't get called that provide a little bit of space for the offenseman to get a good shot off.

We did have an okay power play and penalty kill. Whether Niedderreiter should have stayed up or not was probably outside his control, but being that he was with the big club, Capuano famously mishandled him. If Rolston wasn't putting out top effort, then that's on Capuano.

Much of our lack of success was due to having only one good puck-moving defenseman who was recuperating from a season off due to injury, and only one good physical defenseman still immature enough so that big forwards still got the better of him. And the goaltending situation was still being worked out and I believe he had little control of that. So I decided not to go lower than a C, though I still want him replaced when somebody better becomes available.

Menwithouthat tricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:40 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
D and probably way too generous.

Frankly, I believe Arbour could do more with this mediocre line up. Probably would make a difference of 5 or more games and improve the play/career of every player in the lineup.

Does anyone really believe that Capuano is respected by players the way an Arbour would be?

I'd LOVE to have a hall of fame coach behind the bench with this team.

Giving Capuano a pass because even "Arbour couldnt win with this line" up gives him a pass he hasn't earned.

Sorry.
As much respect as Al Arbour warrants, when he was given a bad lineup his teams played badly and gave up a lot of goals.

Do I think the team would have done slightly better? Yeah, but there's that whole 800 pound gorilla of "Little Talent" in the room. All I'm saying is there reaches a point when you have a coach fired every other year that he becomes a scapegoat.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Capuano is cheap and won't rock the boat. I'm sure management loves him.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:21 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

Didn't want to make a new thread. But here is a pretty decent interview with Cappy.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/podcas...=379&iid=40169

nyiguy21 is online now   Reply With Quote