HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2012, 12:02 PM
SnipeShow91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
This is the TBA game on UNB's schedule, strange that it hasn't been listed yet which makes me think Gardiner might be waiting on a bigger opportunity. A game against the Canadians Rookies? Just a though in the dark.

Concordia has nothing on their schedule for this weekend, so they maybe the backup plan.

Also free on the 29th are Carleton, Ottawa (on the road on the 30th vs RMC), RMC and possibly UQTR (their schedule is not up yet).

Not available - Queen's (on the road vs ACD and SMU), Nipissing (hosting UWO) and Ryerson (at York Tournament)
RMC is defenitly not playing UNB. We have an alumni game that night.

Old
07-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Well - that strikes one team off the list.

Alumni game aside, I don't think RMC ranked high on UNB's list of opponents - I don't think it would have been very useful for either team's development (20-8 vs 3-23), but I didn't want to presume as much, so I added them to the list

Old
07-30-2012, 03:19 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
It is why coaches should NOT ever coach their own sons (no objectivity ).
A worse example of this existed up the hill and a close examination of statistics would reveal a number of times that a first line STU PP was scored on by having the wrong personal on the ice time after time.

I feel.for any son put in this position and is a no win situation for everyone.
Maybe I am missing something here (if so, I apologize), but where did this come from/what does it have to do with anything that has recently been discussed??

Old
07-30-2012, 05:08 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
This is the TBA game on UNB's schedule, strange that it hasn't been listed yet which makes me think Gardiner might be waiting on a bigger opportunity. A game against the Canadians Rookies? Just a though in the dark.

Concordia has nothing on their schedule for this weekend, so they maybe the backup plan.

Also free on the 29th are Carleton, Ottawa (on the road on the 30th vs RMC), RMC and possibly UQTR (their schedule is not up yet).

Not available - Queen's (on the road vs ACD and SMU), Nipissing (hosting UWO) and Ryerson (at York Tournament)
I'd like to see Concordia, personally, for no other reason than UNB has played UQTR/Carleton/Ottawa all within the past few years. As far as I can tell UNB and Concordia have never played, at least not in recent history.

Old
07-30-2012, 07:19 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Well - that strikes one team off the list.

Alumni game aside, I don't think RMC ranked high on UNB's list of opponents - I don't think it would have been very useful for either team's development (20-8 vs 3-23), but I didn't want to presume as much, so I added them to the list
We just don't feel the need to embarass UNB! But I can make an argument that its good for development. UNB can play their 5th and 6th lines of forwards so they can get some ice time. Be good for our goalies to get some good shots and work on our defensive zone coverage. But we gave McGill and Western some battles (RMC beat Western 2 years ago) this past season so you never know

Old
08-10-2012, 08:48 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

UNB has updated their schedule...they have added the Maine game on October 7th as well as Concordia on September 29th (previously the TBA game after McGill). They have also added a game against UdeM on September 17th in Summerside, PEI. (similar to last year when they played their first pre-season game against Dal in Port Hawksebury I think it was).

Also of note, in the press release today announcing Tam and Robertson there was note at the end saying there would be a major announcement regarding the Pete Kelly Classic...maybe an NCAA team or perhaps a top OUA West or CW team??

http://varsityreds.ca/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey

Old
08-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Rob

Is Bryce Swan offically on the team?

Old
08-10-2012, 09:36 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Is Bryce Swan offically on the team?
I have no inside info but he posted this on his twitter...

Quote:
@neilymac12 let's mix in a round at kingswood soon with @cpridham.. Could be seeing a lot of each other this year #bonding
There had also been some talk earlier in the summer about Pridham maybe transferring to UNB for his 5th year as well...

If Swan is indeed coming it would be a huge addition (not to mention a big blow to St. FX) as he would pretty much replace Bailey's offense. He has put up seasons of 22, 31, 29, and 25 points...and is more of a goal scorer (has had season of 19 and 20 goals), which I think they lacked last season.

You add him to Critchlow, and full seasons from Wiebe and Wudrick, and I think they have improved their offence from last season. Those additions would more than offset the loss of Bailey/Clendenning/Lee/Lynes IMO.

The defence is still a concern though, especially if Tam doesn't come. But I imagine there are still some decent guys out there...and some more good ones will probably become available after their pro camps don't work out (similar to Kidd a few years back). I can't imagine it would be too hard to recruit someone to come here since there should be ice time available. Right now they have Wright/Kidd/Desnoyers/Shutron/Denny/Roberston/Corcoran if needed...and a few of those guys have battled injuries during their time here so I think they another top defenceman or two.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 08-10-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old
08-10-2012, 11:09 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

UNB has announced their prices for season tickets for the upcoming season.

http://varsityreds.ca/news/2012/8/10...810124924.aspx

- Passes for everything (except MJ Memorial Game and any AUS playoffs) are 150 for adult and 200 if you want a reserved seat at the AUC.

- Single game tickets for hockey are 10 for adult, 3 for youth, and free to UNB students and children.

- Tickets go on sale August 20th for people who had season tickets for last season and August 27th for everyone else.

I really wish they would go back to offering hockey-only season tickets. I am sure I am not the only one who only goes to the hockey games and at $150 I would have to go to at least 16 home games to make it worth my while...and as of right now there are only 15 home games scheduled that season tickets are eligible for (14 regular season games minus the MJMG, and two Fall Classic games). They haven't announced the Pete Kelly games yet but they usually aren't covered by season tickets (although there was no mention of that being the case this season, so maybe they have changed it).

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 08-11-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old
08-11-2012, 03:25 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

double post

Old
08-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
... especially if Tam doesn't come.
Despite the flip/flop by Tam - Gardiner has always encouraged players to take an AHL deal if they can get one. Despite the tryout, I suspect he'll play the Fall at SanFran and will likely come to town at Christmas.

UNB really only needs one more Dman, but given their track record of injuries, two would be better.

Old
08-14-2012, 06:07 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Despite the tryout, I suspect he'll play the Fall at SanFran and will likely come to town at Christmas.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is what happens.

Old
08-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Rob Drummond

Anyone have any news on Rob Drummond? I know he was recovering from a concussion, not sure if he's even considering playing at all now?

Old
08-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Rob

Quote:
Anyone have any news on Rob Drummond? I know he was recovering from a concussion, not sure if he's even considering playing at all now?
I've just assumed it is the latter.

Old
08-16-2012, 04:20 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
I had completely forgotten about him...I predicted way back when they recruited him that I doubted he would ever play a game for UNB.

Old
08-17-2012, 09:18 PM
cishockeyfan

Not sure if this was confirmed on another board, but Swan and Pridham are 100% enrolled at UNB as Students, Pridham has been taking courses since the summer in fact

Old
08-18-2012, 12:41 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Not sure if this was confirmed on another board, but Swan and Pridham are 100% enrolled at UNB as Students, Pridham has been taking courses since the summer in fact
If that is indeed the case then the forward ranks are going to be even more crowded than last year. Swan and Pridham are obviously top players in the league so they will certainly be in the lineup every night...and I expect Critchlow to be good enough to dress for almost every game. They only really need to replace Bailey and Clendenning since Lee and Lynes hardly, if ever, played. Of course, like we always say, injuries usually have a way of taking care of this kind of stuff.

Old
08-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Wow. That is certainly big news.

Any word if Fullerton will be back yet?

Old
08-18-2012, 11:09 AM
SuperSquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Wow. That is certainly big news.

Any word if Fullerton will be back yet?
Both goalies are coming back.

Old
08-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Archie Jones

It is going to be really interesting to see the first 3 lines this year. There is an overabundance of talent!
Predictions?

Hopefully, there are additional D recruits or a forward who can play defense.

Old
08-18-2012, 06:22 PM
cishockeyfan

I can't guarentee they are suiting up for the varsity reds, but it would seem logical if they are enrolled at UNB they are there to play Hockey

Old
08-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

...includes a major announcement for their upcoming 2013 Pete Kelly Challenge opponent

Just a shot in the dark - if the opponent is from the US, likely Northeastern (they have a game at home vs Harvard on the 29th and a seven day gap until they play again at home vs Bentley on the 5th.

Not sure a Canadian opponent, other than UWO or Alberta would warrant such a 'grand' lead up - maybe both?

Old
08-19-2012, 09:39 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
...includes a major announcement for their upcoming 2013 Pete Kelly Challenge opponent

Just a shot in the dark - if the opponent is from the US, likely Northeastern (they have a game at home vs Harvard on the 29th and a seven day gap until they play again at home vs Bentley on the 5th.

Not sure a Canadian opponent, other than UWO or Alberta would warrant such a 'grand' lead up - maybe both?
I am thinking it has to be a NCAA team...but if it is Northeastern-type team I am going to be a little disappointed. I am hoping for more of a 'brand' name team like BU or Harvard or even a non-Hockey East team.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I am thinking it has to be a NCAA team...but if it is Northeastern-type team I am going to be a little disappointed. I am hoping for more of a 'brand' name team like BU or Harvard or even a non-Hockey East team.
I'd like to see Northeastern, but I understand the appeal of 'brand name'. I know Gardiner wants to play them because they are the only team in Hockey East that UNB has not played (as far as I can tell)

All of the Hockey East teams are free, but most have limited schedules:
- NE has a homes games on the 29 and again on the 5th
- UVM has home games on the 30 and again on the 5th
- UNH has a road game on the 31st and a home game on the 4th
- UMass is at UNH on the 31st and not again until the 11th (road vs Prov.)
- UMass-Lowell is free from the Dec 10th to Jan 4th
- Merrimack is home on the 30th and on the road vs UVM on the 5th
- BU is in Denver for the 29th then at home on the 4th
- BC is in Minn on the 31st then home on the 5th, but are not eligible to travel Int. (too soon after last trip to UNB)
- Providence is free from the Dec 20th to Jan 4th, but are not eligible to travel Int. (too soon after last trip to UNB)
- Maine is in Florida on the 29th, back home for the 4th, but are not eligible to travel Int. (too soon after last trip to UNB)

UMass, UMass-Lowell and NE have the best schedules to allow a trip to Freddy Beach.

From the other divisions, I think anyone west of NY is too far away - that leaves Atlantic Hockey(Sacred Heart, Holy Cross, UConn) or the ECAC Ivies (Dartmouth, Harvard, Brown or possibly RPI).
- SH has games on the 31st and the 4th
- HC has games on the 30th and the 4th
- UConn is hosting a tournament on the 30th and play again on the 4th
- Dartmouth has games on the 31st and 4th
- Harvard is at home on the 29th, on the road for the 4th
- Brown has games on the 30th, 2nd and 11th
- RPI is at home on the 31st, on the road vs BU on the 4th

Old
08-22-2012, 06:46 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

With the addition of Braes this how the forward ranks now look...

5th year - Campbell

4th year - Todd, Fillier, Culligan

3rd year - MacNeil, Salituro

2nd year - Wudrick, Wiebe, Houde-Caron, Carroll, Nesbitt, MacDougall

1st year - Braes, Critchlow

So 14 quality forwards. I counted Corcoran as a D since it is looking like they will need him more at D than F at this point. Who sits out of that group?? Although they had 16 forwards for the second half last season some of the guys like Lee/Lynes/Salituro weren't getting any ice time...if the Swan/Pridham rumours are true dare I say they will have TOO much depth?? 1-16 would be much, much improved over last season IMO. There would be 4 very solid players sitting every night.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 08-22-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Closed Thread