HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best Moments of 2011-2012 Season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-07-2012, 10:01 AM
  #51
Sabadecade
Sec304 STH & WL#1882
 
Sabadecade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
I wasn't a season ticket holder last year but thought friends and wait list opportunities, I was able to attended 7 home games. Not to shabby! (I wached most other ones on TV.

My Top ones are as follows:

1) Saturday Dec 17, yup, TEEMU! vs Anaheim - Jets win 5-3

Highlights: Teemu! of course, and the crowd reaction to him. The TRUE NORTH shoutout during the Anthem that night was especially pronounced due to the instrumental version

2) Friday Mar 16, Still had an actual chance at the playoffs vs Washington- Jets win 3-2

Highlights: The "Crosby's better chant" Also, the rare +20 weather at that time of the year made for some awesome "pre-gameing" at the inaugural opening of the Tavern United rooftop with two of my brothers also going to the game. Memories never to be forgotten!

3) Saturday Apr 7th, The FINAL game vs Tampa Bay - Jets loss 4-3 OT

Highlights: The tying goal by Slater in the dying seconds of the game to force overtime followed by "Rooooolllly" chanting.

4) Thursday Dec 02, New Jets vs Old Jets (Phoenix) - Jets win 0-1

Highlights: My second Jets since they came back game but my first win, so just being there was the highlight. A little standing O for Shane Doan. Also, being able to watch a game from the P2 level seating was nice.

5) Friday Mar 16, Wild December Homestand vs LA Kings - Jets win 1-0 OT

Highlights: OT Win by the Jets (oh the suspense!) Also, just being at a Jets game with ALL three of my brothers (one from out of town). An amazing feat considering the "hotness" of Jets tickets

Sabadecade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 02:41 AM
  #52
Daddy Longlegs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Trading Oduya at the deadline.

Daddy Longlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 08:56 PM
  #53
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 1235
My best moment was Dec 6, 2011 at 4:50 of the third. Jets Vs. Bruins the Stanley Cup champs. Boston had just scored a minute and half before to tie the game at 1 - 1 and the Boston fan beside me was still dancing around in his Bruins Jersey dissing all the Jets fans around him. Little then won a face off in the nuetral zone took it in all alone on one of the best individual plays of the year to put the Jets back up 2 - 1. I rember pure joy at that moment. Which was multiplied watching all the Bruins Jerseys walk out of the areana dejected after Pavs stood on his head and we held on for the win. That was my little cup of the year

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:38 PM
  #54
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan
 
Hollywood3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,022
vCash: 500
For me it was the second exhibition game vs Carolina, and my first chance to see the Jets live, followed by the March 17th Friday night game against Washington where the Jets won in an electric atmosphere. ("Crosby's better")

Hollywood3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:26 PM
  #55
DespoticNewt
Registered User
 
DespoticNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,299
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
My best moment was Dec 6, 2011 at 4:50 of the third. Jets Vs. Bruins the Stanley Cup champs. Boston had just scored a minute and half before to tie the game at 1 - 1 and the Boston fan beside me was still dancing around in his Bruins Jersey dissing all the Jets fans around him. Little then won a face off in the nuetral zone took it in all alone on one of the best individual plays of the year to put the Jets back up 2 - 1. I rember pure joy at that moment. Which was multiplied watching all the Bruins Jerseys walk out of the areana dejected after Pavs stood on his head and we held on for the win. That was my little cup of the year
I remember the goal. I believe it was a 4 on 4 play due to a Boston player getting a roughing penalty and a Jets player retaliating. I can't remember much more than that, but I took Little's goal as an indication of payback for attempting to injure a Jets player.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:12 AM
  #56
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*
 
GermanJetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Darmstadt, GER
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,012
vCash: 50
Great posts guys =) keep em up. It's always nice to read posts like those for me as I don't get a chance to experience the Jets-Love-Fest-Feeling in Winnipeg

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:55 AM
  #57
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I remember the goal. I believe it was a 4 on 4 play due to a Boston player getting a roughing penalty and a Jets player retaliating. I can't remember much more than that, but I took Little's goal as an indication of payback for attempting to injure a Jets player.
Right you are. Bogo and Krejci had both just gone off for roughing. Other details of the game: Pavs made 39 saves and was the 1st star followed by Little for 2nd. Jets went above 500 for the first time for the season with the win. Afterwards both Little and Ladd were quoted as saying it was the loudest they have heard the arena.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 06:29 PM
  #58
Crazed Fan
Registered User
 
Crazed Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Right you are. Bogo and Krejci had both just gone off for roughing. Other details of the game: Pavs made 39 saves and was the 1st star followed by Little for 2nd. Jets went above 500 for the first time for the season with the win. Afterwards both Little and Ladd were quoted as saying it was the loudest they have heard the arena.
And snapped Bostons 15 game winning streak.
One of the many streaks that the Jets snapped last season.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:14 PM
  #59
spicy
Registered User
 
spicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
amazing idea for a thread.

The whole "season" for me was one to remember. from the end of May'11, to the end of April'12.

Each and every home game, our two season ticket seats had memories made in them that i couldnt put a price tag on.

So glad to have this team, and cant wait for the future.

spicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 01:46 PM
  #60
mzappa
Jets fans in space
 
mzappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 50
As a STH, I was very lucky to experience most of the moments already posted.

Here are my favourites.


The not-so-obvious:

1. Florida game (March) - for some reason on a Thursday night, everyone @ MTS was completely loaded drunk and rowdy. When a laid-back, normal friend gets a warning from TNSE security, its a good night. Must have been a full moon or they increased the alcohol % in the beer that night! ...oh yeah, and the "Flying W"!

2. Philly game (November) - making fun of Bryzgalov on the bench. Seeing "Mr. Universe"s embarrassed face on the jumbotron was worth the price of a season ticket alone.

3. Pre-season game vs. Columbus - likely the craziest, loudest and most anticipated preseason game ever. Playoff atmosphere. Buff starts a fight in the first minute, and after his first shift the fans are already yelling at Antropov to "skate faster you lazy Russian" - beauty.

4. Game in Ottawa (October) - probably about 25-35% Jets fans in attendance. Sens had a classy 'welcome back Winnipeg' video tribute to the City of Winnipeg and the Jets. We lost, but a great night. I recall pilots in the airports coming up to me to compliment on the new Jets jersey and the "pilot wings" crest on the shoulders - they loved it.



The obvious:

1. Opening game. Magical weekend. Held a pregame Jets BBQ with Jetsmas cake, postgame with Blue Rodeo, partying on the Tavern rooftop. Winnipeg is back. What a day.

2. Selanne game. I've heard and felt the emotion in that building before, but nothing like that night.

3. Phoenix game. The atmosphere was an odd one, mixed with anger and anticipation. I was hoping this was the last time we'd ever see that franchise play as PHX. Might still be the case if there is a lockout.
The hatred runs too deep to forgive what happened.

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 09:55 PM
  #61
ps241
The Danish Dash!
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,025
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy View Post
amazing idea for a thread.

The whole "season" for me was one to remember. from the end of May'11, to the end of April'12.

Each and every home game, our two season ticket seats had memories made in them that i couldnt put a price tag on.

So glad to have this team, and cant wait for the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
As a STH, I was very lucky to experience most of the moments already posted.

Here are my favourites.


The not-so-obvious:

1. Florida game (March) - for some reason on a Thursday night, everyone @ MTS was completely loaded drunk and rowdy. When a laid-back, normal friend gets a warning from TNSE security, its a good night. Must have been a full moon or they increased the alcohol % in the beer that night! ...oh yeah, and the "Flying W"!

2. Philly game (November) - making fun of Bryzgalov on the bench. Seeing "Mr. Universe"s embarrassed face on the jumbotron was worth the price of a season ticket alone.

3. Pre-season game vs. Columbus - likely the craziest, loudest and most anticipated preseason game ever. Playoff atmosphere. Buff starts a fight in the first minute, and after his first shift the fans are already yelling at Antropov to "skate faster you lazy Russian" - beauty.

4. Game in Ottawa (October) - probably about 25-35% Jets fans in attendance. Sens had a classy 'welcome back Winnipeg' video tribute to the City of Winnipeg and the Jets. We lost, but a great night. I recall pilots in the airports coming up to me to compliment on the new Jets jersey and the "pilot wings" crest on the shoulders - they loved it.



The obvious:

1. Opening game. Magical weekend. Held a pregame Jets BBQ with Jetsmas cake, postgame with Blue Rodeo, partying on the Tavern rooftop. Winnipeg is back. What a day.

2. Selanne game. I've heard and felt the emotion in that building before, but nothing like that night.

3. Phoenix game. The atmosphere was an odd one, mixed with anger and anticipation. I was hoping this was the last time we'd ever see that franchise play as PHX. Might still be the case if there is a lockout.
The hatred runs too deep to forgive what happened.
great posts boys

I can't get enough of this stuff. I still have to pinch myself when I think of the entire ride from when it became apparent we were a serious contender to get a team back up until today....so far none of it has gotten old and in some ways its only getting better.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:20 PM
  #62
s1g
Registered User
 
s1g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 330
vCash: 500
Just reading about all these great memories that everyone had makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Just imagine what it's going to feel like when our boys make the playoffs!! Holy ****!

s1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:25 PM
  #63
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,887
vCash: 500
Seeing the official new Jets logo on HF Boards last summer for the first time from that guy who opened the box of shirts/hats! Oh, and meeting ps241

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:58 PM
  #64
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,421
vCash: 264
Great thread idea. I'll keep it to 10:

1. Preseason game #1 vs. Columbus. Basically a giant party is the only way I can describe that game.

2. Preseason game #2 vs. Nashville. Weird choice, I know. But seeing the Jets in a visiting building for the first time really drove home that "Back in the Big Leagues" feel. Tuning in to TSN Jets, watching the game with my entire family gathered around, that really brought back a tonne of good memories.

3. Inaugural game vs. Montreal. Obviously. That day was one big episode of "is this real life?"

4. 9-8 game in Philadelphia. Craziest hockey game I've ever watched.

5. December game vs. Boston. It got so loud after the Little goal, my eardrums actually popped like I was on a plane.

6. Teemu's return. Initially I didn't think much about it, I was much more concerned about the Jets getting 2 points. But the tribute during the game and the ovation afterwards, that was something else.

7. February game in Washington, Buff tying the game with a 100 foot clapper.

8. Pavelec's insane 50 save performance vs. Philly. Memorable, but heartbreaking as well.

9. March game vs. the Panthers. Another zany one that I don't think I'll ever forget.

10. Comeback win @ Washington in March.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:34 AM
  #65
Lux Aurumque*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Norway
Posts: 15,653
vCash: 500
- The 7-0 win over Florida.
- The 9-8 win over Philadelphia.
- Wheeler petting Gerbe on the head.

But I think the best game of the year was the game against St Louis, even though we lost.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:45 PM
  #66
buggs
Registered User
 
buggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: flatlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,848
vCash: 128
I'll chime in.

- Announcement the team was indeed coming back. Sure, the stories were out there but until the team actually announced it formally with Bettman (and the sour look on his face only added to it) I refused to let myself believe.

- actually getting through for season tickets on that Saturday - I had to sneak away from my kid's taekwando belt test just before noon then F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 holy****I'mingogogogogogogo - wait, did I just get tickets? Sweet!

- NHL draft when Chevy subtley let the name slide out there

- our group's NHL draft, where I got second pick, but the guy with the first pick knew how much going to the home opener meant to me so he grabbed the December Habs game instead

- first exhibition game with Columbus - I swear my heart rate was around 100 all day long I was so fired up (grabbed that game with the second pick I had in our second round - had to be at the first game back, exhibition or not)

- home opener - just unbelievable and that you couldn't even hear Chantal Kreviazuk and the Blue Rodeo dude over the crowd at all was amazing. My ears felt like I'd just come home from a Maiden concert after and all I could do was smile

- Teemu's return - I wasn't at the game (in Hawaii on vacation so you know...) but I PVR'd it and then caught some more highlights on the Ducks website who understandably highlighted it more than the Jets site. Total class act that man is.

- Yotes game in December. Don't even really understand why I dislike them so much and don't really consider it rational but boy oh boy I liked beating them

- Flying W - we sit in section 112 right behind the visitor's net and saw the whole thing coming. It looked better on TV but it looked pretty darn nice coming at you too

- "Jordan's Better" - damned funny

- the guys in our section at the arena - loud, like to drink, but very little cursing - just a great bunch to sit with and completely lucked out. Lots of staid, boring folks in our section too but those of us in the last rows of 112 make our regular run to the Tavern during each intermission

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:53 PM
  #67
hockeyarena
Registered User
 
hockeyarena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 511
vCash: 1503
1) Def the announcement, will never forget that day, cold and gloomy but got day drunk celebrating at the forks, still didn't seem real.

2) Being in St. Paul chatting with Darren Dreger about what the team was going to be called, if they had jerseys in the bags they had with them etc. Then to hear the way they announced it, half the rink just erupted...most of the Americans had no clue.

3) First preseason game, an absolute blast. The atmosphere and intro videos were very emotional, then after Buff got it going with those 2 huge hits right off the faceoff, loved it.

4) All the games were awesome (made it to 6 or so). Great atmosphere no matter what. Loved listening to Noel on the radio on the drive home, brought me back to the old days of Jets.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:40 PM
  #68
dsvt8r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
ESPN Classic is showing the 1st win of the season against the Pens today.

dsvt8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:08 PM
  #69
DancesWithWookies
Registered User
 
DancesWithWookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 1,040
vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvt8r View Post
ESPN Classic is showing the 1st win of the season against the Pens today.
Thanks man really appreciate you sharing that! Can't wait to watch that game again, it was a blast to be at too!

Starts at 3 pm btw.

DancesWithWookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:39 PM
  #70
Guardian17
Strong & Free
 
Guardian17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,093
vCash: 500
I bought two tickets from a friend and secretly flew to Winnipeg.

I showed up unannounced at my Dad's door and knocked.

He opened the door and I through a Jets jersey in his face and took him to see the Jets play Montreal in December at the MTS Centre.

The Jets won 4-0.

My Dad was so happy!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:14 PM
  #71
Beazley
In Lozenge We Trust
 
Beazley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
Awesome thread. I haven't posted in awhile but watching those youtube's in succession has me pretty pumped.

For me:

1) Pre-season opener: Impossible to top the atmosphere and game. I was also at the reg season opener and, IMO, it paled in comparison.
2) Teemu.
3) Teemu.
4) Opener.
4) Bruins win.
5) Flying W.

Honorable Mention: I can't remember which game it was when I discovered that drinking the canned beer from a cooler-stand is MUCH more conducive to a productive morning after the game. It was a momentous occasion!

Beazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:51 PM
  #72
SCP Guy
Registered User
 
SCP Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Peg
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,958
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I bought two tickets from a friend and secretly flew to Winnipeg.

I showed up unannounced at my Dad's door and knocked.

He opened the door and I through a Jets jersey in his face and took him to see the Jets play Montreal in December at the MTS Centre.

The Jets won 4-0.

My Dad was so happy!
That's a super cool story!!!

SCP Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:53 PM
  #73
ps241
The Danish Dash!
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,025
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvt8r View Post
ESPN Classic is showing the 1st win of the season against the Pens today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus View Post
Thanks man really appreciate you sharing that! Can't wait to watch that game again, it was a blast to be at too!

Starts at 3 pm btw.
I believe that is the first game that Bogosian went around his net and slingshoted up the ice through the entire pens team and rang one off the crossbar. I remember turning to the guy I was with and said I haven't seen speed like that on a rush live since Paul Coffey when I lived in Edmonton in the early 80's!!! Probably the start of my fan boy for Bogo stage.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:03 PM
  #74
dsvt8r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Not Jets 2.0 related, but the greatest tournament I've ever watched - Canada Cup 87 with Jets 1.0 Mr. Hawerchuk will be celebrating it's 25th anniversary next week and ESPN Classic is showing the games

http://www.tsn.ca/classic/

dsvt8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 07:25 AM
  #75
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,150
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvt8r View Post
Not Jets 2.0 related, but the greatest tournament I've ever watched - Canada Cup 87 with Jets 1.0 Mr. Hawerchuk will be celebrating it's 25th anniversary next week and ESPN Classic is showing the games

http://www.tsn.ca/classic/
The best Canadian hockey I have ever seen.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.