HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers that could play in the AHL this season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-22-2012, 07:29 AM
  #1
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,362
vCash: 500
Flyers that could play in the AHL this season

I was just wondering if the NHL season is delayed, could some of the players on the Flyers' roster play in the AHL? Are there rules about who can and who can't play in the AHL, and would players even be interested in doing so?

I think it would be beneficial to see Couturier get playing time, as well as the Schenns - but could they play in the AHL?

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 07:36 AM
  #2
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,991
vCash: 500
I think Couturier, Brayden Schenn, Read and Gustafsson could all play because they are still on their entry level deals. As well, with the CHL transfer agreement expired, it's very possible that someone like Nick Cousins could also play in the AHL. Same with Scott Laughton (although I doubt he does - he's expected to be the number one center in Oshawa this year).

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 07:40 AM
  #3
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,085
vCash: 500
Couturier, B Schenn, Read, Gustafsson, Bourdon and then a veteran like Giroux, Schenn, or SImmonds could play

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:11 AM
  #4
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,697
vCash: 500
I dont expect to many vets to play. Like giroux who I see sitting out for the season.

The Europeans might go back overseas to play though

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:14 AM
  #5
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I dont expect to many vets to play. Like giroux who I see sitting out for the season.

The Europeans might go back overseas to play though
As in play in the AHL or just in general?

If there is a lockout, I hope we send Luke Schenn down for the duration of the lockout

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:17 AM
  #6
feedingschennzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Couturier, B Schenn, Read, Gustafsson, Bourdon and then a veteran like Giroux, Schenn, or SImmonds could play
Dear lord giroux in the ahl would be downright comical

feedingschennzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:22 AM
  #7
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
As in play in the AHL or just in general?

If there is a lockout, I hope we send Luke Schenn down for the duration of the lockout
Play in general. If i remember correctly a bunch pf players did t playduring last lockout. Many dont want to go overseas to play.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:24 AM
  #8
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity
 
ChumpyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Country: Sami
Posts: 2,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I think Couturier, Brayden Schenn, Read and Gustafsson could all play because they are still on their entry level deals. As well, with the CHL transfer agreement expired, it's very possible that someone like Nick Cousins could also play in the AHL. Same with Scott Laughton (although I doubt he does - he's expected to be the number one center in Oshawa this year).
Wait... what? Now a player from the CHL doesn't need to be 20 to play in the AHL? When did this happen?

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:29 AM
  #9
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Wait... what? Now a player from the CHL doesn't need to be 20 to play in the AHL? When did this happen?
July. It will be re-negotiated at some point, but the NHL obviously has bigger fish to fry right now.

There has been at least some speculation that there will be an elimination of the AHL 20 years old thing anyhow, even if a new transfer agreement is signed. The CHL has no leverage really.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:36 AM
  #10
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Play in general. If i remember correctly a bunch pf players did t playduring last lockout. Many dont want to go overseas to play.
Going down the list :
Bourdon : AHL
Briere : Swiss league again
Bryz : Russia
Coburn : No idea
COuturier : AHL
Fedotenko : Possibly take the year off again
Giroux : With Jagr's team
Grossmann : SEL
Gustafsson : AHL
Hartnell : On the team he co-owns
Leighton : AHL
Lilja : retire
Meszaros : Getting healthy
Pronger : Getting healthy
Read : AHL
Rinaldo : AHL
B Schenn : AHL
L Schenn : AHL
Sestito : AHL
Shelley : Retire
Simmonds : No idea
Talbot : No idea
Timonen : Team he co-owns with Hartnell
Voracek : With Giroux on Jagr's team
Wellwood : AHL
Zolniercyzk : AHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Wait... what? Now a player from the CHL doesn't need to be 20 to play in the AHL? When did this happen?
That's linked to the NHL CBA.. Once that's done there will be the transfer agreement back in place

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:41 AM
  #11
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Luke Schenn definitely won't go to the AHL

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:42 AM
  #12
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdugan View Post
Dear lord giroux in the ahl would be downright comical
Until an AHL lifer decides he wants to be on the TSN Highlights of the Night and takes a headhunting run at Giroux. I want Giroux as far away as possible from a lower league where the also-rans can grab their 15 minutes of fame at the expense of his health.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:11 AM
  #13
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
Luke Schenn definitely won't go to the AHL
Why not? He could use a year there.. Where else would you rather him go?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:30 AM
  #14
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Why not? He could use a year there.. Where else would you rather him go?
You haven't even seen him play for us yet, and you think he needs time in the AHL? The guy is 22 with 4 seasons of NHL experience, yes he had an off year, but if he drops a few pounds and is extra motivated this year, he will improve and impress.

If there is a lockout, I'm sure he will play somewhere better than the AHL. The ONLY way I see him playing in the AHL (is he even allowed with his high NHL salary?) would be to follow his brother

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:43 AM
  #15
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
You haven't even seen him play for us yet, and you think he needs time in the AHL? The guy is 22 with 4 seasons of NHL experience, yes he had an off year, but if he drops a few pounds and is extra motivated this year, he will improve and impress.

If there is a lockout, I'm sure he will play somewhere better than the AHL. The ONLY way I see him playing in the AHL (is he even allowed with his high NHL salary?) would be to follow his brother
He's had 2 off years out of 4.. He'd be eligible in the AHL as our Veteran player..

Let him stay there if there's a lockout to work on his offense.. Not like it would hurt his development

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:52 AM
  #16
Bill_Meltzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Going down the list :
Bourdon : AHL
Briere : Swiss league again
Bryz : Russia
Coburn : No idea
COuturier : AHL
Fedotenko : Possibly take the year off again
Giroux : With Jagr's team
Grossmann : SEL
Gustafsson : AHL
Hartnell : On the team he co-owns
Leighton : AHL
Lilja : retire
Meszaros : Getting healthy
Pronger : Getting healthy
Read : AHL
Rinaldo : AHL
B Schenn : AHL
L Schenn : AHL
Sestito : AHL
Shelley : Retire
Simmonds : No idea
Talbot : No idea
Timonen : Team he co-owns with Hartnell
Voracek : With Giroux on Jagr's team
Wellwood : AHL
Zolniercyzk : AHL


That's linked to the NHL CBA.. Once that's done there will be the transfer agreement back in place
The AHL is likely to abide by the expired agreement with the CHL for the duration of any NHL lockout, so I think Cousins and Laughton would return to their junior teams.

The non-entry level contract players cannot be assigned to the Phantoms by the Flyers.

Given Timonen's health status, I think he's more likely to take the time off rather than playing for KalPa.

Briere almost certainly would take the time off rather than playing in Europe. His family situation has changed since 2004-05, plus he just lost his mother.

The Czech Extraliga pay is quite low compared to some of the other European leagues, so any player who plays for Kladno would be doing it mostly as a favor to Jagr. They'd make better money in Switzerland or the KHL.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:40 AM
  #17
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 5,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
You haven't even seen him play for us yet, and you think he needs time in the AHL? The guy is 22 with 4 seasons of NHL experience, yes he had an off year, but if he drops a few pounds and is extra motivated this year, he will improve and impress.

If there is a lockout, I'm sure he will play somewhere better than the AHL. The ONLY way I see him playing in the AHL (is he even allowed with his high NHL salary?) would be to follow his brother
Yeah and not to mention there is already a log jam on the backend in Adirondack.

Gus
Bourdon
Manning
Lauridsen
Kessel
Konan
Eddy
Hostetter

And then veterans
Walker
Syvret

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:05 AM
  #18
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,059
vCash: 500
if there's no NHL, there's no waiver rules, so technically anyone can play in the AHL as long as they have an AHL deal (either two-way or just an AHL contract). However, most players will probably go overseas since they can make more money. I would expect B. Schenn, Couturier, Wellwood, Rinaldo, Gus and Bourdon to play in the A. Read isnt on a two-way deal, so he would probably go overseas

And btw, I'm not 100% sure on this, but if there's a lock-out, I'm pretty sure that players that are burried in the AHL on one-way NHL deals, such as Walker, would not be able to play in the AHL (unless they sign an AHL contract) since there would be no agreement in place between the NHL and AHL

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:18 AM
  #19
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
if there's no NHL, there's no waiver rules, so technically anyone can play in the AHL as long as they have an AHL deal (either two-way or just an AHL contract). However, most players will probably go overseas since they can make more money. I would expect B. Schenn, Couturier, Wellwood, Rinaldo, Gus and Bourdon to play in the A. Read isnt on a two-way deal, so he would probably go overseas

And btw, I'm not 100% sure on this, but if there's a lock-out, I'm pretty sure that players that are burried in the AHL on one-way NHL deals, such as Walker, would not be able to play in the AHL (unless they sign an AHL contract) since there would be no agreement in place between the NHL and AHL
Actually Read is on an ELC, which is a two way contract

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:23 AM
  #20
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Actually Read is on an ELC, which is a two way contract
No, it's not a two-way deal. It's strictly an NHL deal due to his age. also, every cap website has it listed as a one-way deal

http://northsports.areavoices.com/20...es-net-season/

Quote:
The threat Ville goes elsewhere is real,” Holmgren said. “Matt we signed to a one-way contract because of his age. He is out of the entry system. He picked our team.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:34 AM
  #21
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
No, it's not a two-way deal. It's strictly an NHL deal due to his age. also, every cap website has it listed as a one-way deal

http://northsports.areavoices.com/20...es-net-season/
Any first NHL contract is supposed to be an ELC

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:46 AM
  #22
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Any first NHL contract is supposed to be an ELC
are you really going to argue this? it's pretty obvious that he's on a one-way deal due to his age. It's reported everywhere as a one-way deal

I also remember Metlzer breaking it down as to why he was allowed to sign a one-way deal

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:52 AM
  #23
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
are you really going to argue this? it's pretty obvious that he's on a one-way deal due to his age. It's reported everywhere as a one-way deal

I also remember Metlzer breaking it down as to why he was allowed to sign a one-way deal
I accidentally left out Isn't on that post..

After checking the CBA, I guess after age 25 it's not longer in the ELC system

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:35 PM
  #24
BrimFullofAsham45
Registered User
 
BrimFullofAsham45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
This is such a sad post to me.

Call me crazy but I hate looking a players career stats on hockeydb or someplace similar and seeing a break in the 2004-05 slot.

Please, just let there be hockey. I dont believe in god but if theres one thing to pray for...

BrimFullofAsham45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:15 PM
  #25
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Iirc, Lilja has threatened/promised to play for Rögle BK in the SEL, in the event of a lockout.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.