HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Random questions

Old
08-21-2012, 05:33 PM
turbodaze

vCash: 500
Random questions

When can I catch a puck that's in the air? When it's lobbed? But I can't catch a slapshot right.

Can someone emphasize the hand on puck penalty?

How often should I tape my stick up?

How often does someone break their stick like the % probability?

turbodaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:39 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodaze View Post
When can I catch a puck that's in the air? When it's lobbed? But I can't catch a slapshot right.

You can catch a puck whenever, as long as you drop it right down to your stick. If you want to catch a slapper, go for it, but you shouldn't. Let the goalie do it. You trying to catch a shot might deflect into the net.

Hand on puck is closing your hand on it.

Use common sense when taping the stick. If it has lots of tears in it, or is wearing out on the bottom, do it. Not every time you're on the ice.

Sticks breaking are rare, but It depends on lots of things. What level you play at, Your flex/strength, amount of slappers/slapper form. Or if some dick slashes it hard. It won't break too much.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:48 PM
JonL1421

Quote:

You can glove a puck whenever it's in the air. Just be careful that someone isn't about to whack it out of the air. To be safe, only attempt to catch a puck when it's at least chest high. As for slapshots, move out of the way. There are many exposures in the equipment, especially the palm of your hand and the puck stings / breaks bones. Like mentioned, it's the goalies job to stop the puck.

When you catch the puck, you must direct it to the ice near your stick. If your momentum towards the ice is stopped, that's when it could be Delay of game. Same goes when you cover the puck with your hand while it's on the ice. If you do so while it's in your crease, it could be a Penalty Shot against. I wouldn't suggest reaching for the puck with your hand if it's on or near the ice - you'll get slashed.

The second post answers you other two questions.

JonL1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:19 PM
turbodaze

thanks for the answers.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:10 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Quote:

I wouldn't advise trying to catch a slap shot, and not even because it could deflect into your own net, but because it could do some serious damage to your hand. The inside of the glove provides little protection.

I imagine your a beginner, so you probably won't have to worry about taping your stick too often, as there should be less significant where or tear. But when the tape is visibly damaged or what have you, you'll know when it's time to re-tape.

As a beginner you probably won't have to worry about your stick breaking. The only way I see your stick breaking is if an opposing player tries to break it with a slash, or you run the blade of the stick into the boards somehow.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 07:54 AM
shoeshine boy

one more thing about catching a puck: if you're in your defensive zone you can catch the puck and then put it pretty much wherever you want. for instance, say you're directly in front of your net and you catch the puck but you can't put it down in front of your stick because an opposing player is right there. you can toss the puck to a teammate farther away from the net. note: don't overhand throw it though because the ref will probably whistle you for closing your hand on it. just toss it quickly. if you do this outside of your defensive zone it's a hand pass and will be whistled down immediately but inside of your own zone is perfectly legal.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Stickchecked

A word of warning: Catching a puck can hurt more than you would think. Worry more about playing it with your stick.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:00 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
i would advise not touching slappers with your hand at all, i got hit in the back of the hand (protected with glove) and broke my hand

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:15 AM
ChrisNI

vCash: 50
Yeah I'd definitely advise against trying to catch any type of shot! It'll hurt like a motherf****er!!
Catch lobs, etc and drop it straight down......don't close your hand on it and don't try to throw it to someone else.

ChrisNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:23 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
A word of warning: Catching a puck can hurt more than you would think. Worry more about playing it with your stick.
If it's a puck you can catch then you'd probably get it whistled as a high stick if you play it with the stick...

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

do not catch a slap shot... I wouldnt even stop a lighter wrist shot.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:07 PM
neksys

turbodaze, no offense intended, but I think you are overthinking this stuff. You have many posts asking basic questions (which is fine, that is what we are here for) but sometimes you just have to get out there and try it!

I guarantee you will not be worrying about breaking sticks, catching lobbed pucks or anything of the sort any time soon.

I understand you are starting in a league soon - maybe you should consider finding a local learn-to-play class as well to deal with some of these fundamentals?

Anyways, have fun out there and keep us updated in the beginners thread!

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Fanned On It

Just use your mind/senses young grasshopper... you will be fine.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:02 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I caught a flubbed shot and it damn near broke a few bones in my hand. Left a bruise that lasted for a month.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 08:09 AM
turbodaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
turbodaze, no offense intended, but I think you are overthinking this stuff. You have many posts asking basic questions (which is fine, that is what we are here for) but sometimes you just have to get out there and try it!

I guarantee you will not be worrying about breaking sticks, catching lobbed pucks or anything of the sort any time soon.

I understand you are starting in a league soon - maybe you should consider finding a local learn-to-play class as well to deal with some of these fundamentals?

Anyways, have fun out there and keep us updated in the beginners thread!
I live in South Dakota, there is NOTHING besides this adult hockey league to learn the basics anytime soon.

Old
08-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Damn near any time I glove a puck it hurts like hell.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote