HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLVI All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Hannan > Bouillon AINEC

Hannan at 1.0M >>>>> Bouillon at 1.5M

6'2 Hannan at 1.0M >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 5'8 Bouillon at 1.5M
So... Alex Henry and Ryan O'Byrne, a $12M pairing?

Old
08-17-2012, 01:39 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Who's talking about O'Byrne or Henry?

But I still would take Ryan O'Byrne over Francis ****ing Bouillon at this point.

Old
08-17-2012, 01:43 PM
DAChampion

Signing Bouillon is a good tanking move.

It keeps our defense mediocre, means we won't have prospects put in a position to fail, and might get us a 3rd rounder at the trade deadline.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Scott Hannan signed with Nashville.

To be honest, I'd rather have him as a bottom pairing d-man than Boullion.
Hannan would have been perfect for the Habs, bringing size, leadership, veteran presence, etc,. Great signing by Nashville. i keep telling everyone that we need someone to knock heads in front of the net, and Hannan would have fit the bill. Bottom 6 has grit, our D overall is severely lacking. Maybe Bergevin thinks Bouillon will be the answer there, but i'm not convinced. Anyways i guess it doesn't matter much when talking about 1 year contract players...

Old
08-17-2012, 02:28 PM
The Doors

I was lobbying for Hannan all summer and people laughed at me and said he's washed up... the dude is 5 yrs younger than Frankie B, the guy who everyone wanted out of here 2 years ago... Hannan would've been a nice #5-6 veteran guy with something to prove.

Therrien-Bouillon connection will be interesting. I think it's the new JM-Darche. But anyways... nice move by Nashville.

That being said a player has to want to come to your team. It's refreshing that Bouillon WANTS to be here and will play his ass off. Hannan's always been in the West I think. Probably doesn't want to come to Montreal.

But the point is he's more along the liens of the bottom 6 rugged defenceman we needed IMO. Oh well.

Old
08-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Hannan's size alone makes him a better fit. Whether Boullion is tough or not, he is still just another undersized bottom pairing d-man and we have enough of those with St. Denis, Diaz and Weber. Boullion becomes extremely redundant, the same way we wouldn't want another 5'7 forward regardless of how tough he is. Boullion really wasn't necessary at all. At that point, I would have not signed him, keep the cap space and then leave an opening for a rookie to shine in case of injuries, especially since no one expects us to be good this year.

Their respective capabilities may be more or less similar, but Hannan would be more of need than Boullion at this point.
i wasnt referring to Bouillon's "toughness" in terms of his intangibles.

Therrien is bringing in a new culture to the dressing room, habs went out and got two depth players (both of which are veterans, "guts & heart" on the ice and have been positive locker personalities on every team they've played for) on cheap 1-year deals...

their addition (armstrong & bouillion) is as much for their impact in helping the coach set the tone he wants culture-wise as for potential "impact" on-ice.

Management felt that locking those guys up early, as opposed to waiting till late in the summer to fill those roster spots, was important, and I can see why.

Hannan is but one of many depth veteran players still available, and you could make a case for many being "better" options in the roles that Bouillon/Armstrong are expected to play for us...

Our management team decided target familiarity, while transitioning both on-ice and in the front office, and to me that makes perfect sense.

Old
08-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
i wasnt referring to Bouillon's "toughness" in terms of his intangibles.

Therrien is bringing in a new culture to the dressing room, habs went out and got two depth players (both of which are veterans, "guts & heart" on the ice and have been positive locker personalities on every team they've played for) on cheap 1-year deals...

their addition (armstrong & bouillion) is as much for their impact in helping the coach set the tone he wants culture-wise as for potential "impact" on-ice.

Management felt that locking those guys up early, as opposed to waiting till late in the summer to fill those roster spots, was important, and I can see why.

Hannan is but one of many depth veteran players still available, and you could make a case for many being "better" options in the roles that Bouillon/Armstrong are expected to play for us...

Our management team decided target familiarity, while transitioning both on-ice and in the front office, and to me that makes perfect sense.
Aside from toughness and knowing the coach, Boullion doesn't bring much else over Hannan.

Hannan is younger, slightly better and is a better fit in the overall scheme things. Teams should bring in players because they fit the team needs, not because they are friends with the coach. Boullion aside from knowing Therrien is not as good as Hannan and not as good as a fit. Darche was familiar with the coach and so was Mara the second time we brought him back and no one seemed to care about familiarity. In fact we had a term for it, we called the "old boys club." They didn't fit with the team and weren't needed, just like Boullion is now.

He can know the coach all he wants, it doesn't change the fact that Boullion is completely redundant on this team.

Last edited by Andy: 08-17-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old
08-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Lots of love for Hannan here.

Guys, there is a reason he was on market for so long and got singed for near the league minimum.

Old
08-17-2012, 06:40 PM
le_sean

Size is one thing, physicality is another. Bouillon is much more likely to "knock heads" than Hannan. Despite Hannan's size and defensive style, he's not really physical at all. He's like a smaller Hal Gill. He will rub people out, but that's it.

You guys really want blood, eh? Aren't Prust, Armstrong, a healthy Moen and a healthy White enough?

I also can't believe I just defended Bouillon.

Old
08-17-2012, 07:54 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
I was lobbying for Hannan all summer and people laughed at me and said he's washed up... the dude is 5 yrs younger than Frankie B, the guy who everyone wanted out of here 2 years ago... Hannan would've been a nice #5-6 veteran guy with something to prove.

Therrien-Bouillon connection will be interesting. I think it's the new JM-Darche. But anyways... nice move by Nashville.

That being said a player has to want to come to your team. It's refreshing that Bouillon WANTS to be here and will play his ass off. Hannan's always been in the West I think. Probably doesn't want to come to Montreal.

But the point is he's more along the liens of the bottom 6 rugged defenceman we needed IMO. Oh well.
Great post.

Totally agree on the Darche/Bouillon connection that you brought up, and I definitely think we are going to see some serious anger among some posters here when (and I'm telling you now, it's gonna happen) one of or both Emelin and Diaz get benched in favor of Frankie B. Heads are gonna roll around here.

I'm expecting it now so it's not going to be a big shocker.

Old
08-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Aside from toughness and knowing the coach, Boullion doesn't bring much else over Hannan.

Hannan is younger, slightly better and is a better fit in the overall scheme things. Teams should bring in players because they fit the team needs, not because they are friends with the coach. Boullion aside from knowing Therrien is not as good as Hannan and not as good as a fit. Darche was familiar with the coach and so was Mara the second time we brought him back and no one seemed to care about familiarity. In fact we had a term for it, we called the "old boys club." They didn't fit with the team and weren't needed, just like Boullion is now.

He can know the coach all he wants, it doesn't change the fact that Boullion is completely redundant on this team.
as long as you view those two things as mutually exclusive, then of course you'll underestimate the value Bouillion has to the team (at least according to the people running it).

take the blinders off for a second, and it would be obvious to you that Bouillion was signed precisely because management felt that he "fit the teams needs".

I also think you have an exaggerated sense of what Hannan brings to the table at this point in his career.

There is a reason why Calgary, who aren't exactly stocked on defense, opted not to re-sign Hannan despite the 1 year/1 million$ price tag.

while I didn't see enough of Bouillion last season to comment strongly on his current level of play, I did see enough of Hannan to know that he's a shadow of the player he was in SJ, and certainly isn't an imposing physical player at this point. He's a slow footed veteran dman who is smart enough to play within himself and not hurt a team in a bottom pairing role, but also doesn't provide enough to be anything more than a 6-7 depth guy. He's not a crease-clearing physical presence, which is what the Habs are lacking on the back end, so I disagree that he fit the habs on-ice needs that much better than Bouillion does/will.

habs clearly feel Bouillion brings something to the table, enough to pay him a premium for a bottom-pairing depth role.

just b/c you think Bouillion is redundant, doesn't change a thing about what management felt his usefulness is/will be.

Old
08-18-2012, 02:09 AM
yianik

I had wanted a big,very physical, defensively solid, rugged D-man for our top 4, so I did a double take with the signing of Cubes. Thinking about it though I wondered if the Habs believe Emelin could be that top 4 guy and if we had gotten the kind of player I was thinking about, you would probably need to give a guy like that a contract of several years and so Emelin would be done with the Habs. I say hed be done because Im guessing Emelin will not be satisfied play wise and money wise if he were slotted in as a bottom pairing guy his whole NHL career; I think hed sign with another NHL team offering him top 4 time and money or else hed head back to Russia. Thinking about it that way made me decide signing Cubes did make some sense, because the guy would be fine with a one year deal and doed bring some intangibles in terms of locker room presence as a veteran and as a guy who knows MT.

Old
08-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Mowing the lawn & some ass-holes come riding on 38th in Lachine, a Flyers Flag & a Quebec Flag, that an oxie moron. I do respect Giroux fans, but come on! If I saw them coming 5 secs earlier, I would have walked in Middle of road & told them!.. This is MONTREAL!

Old
08-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
Mowing the lawn & some ass-holes come riding on 38th in Lachine, a Flyers Flag & a Quebec Flag, that an oxie moron. I do respect Giroux fans, but come on! If I saw them coming 5 secs earlier, I would have walked in Middle of road & told them!.. This is MONTREAL!
If French speaking players are more important to some guys than loyalty to Montreal, I'm glad they aren't Habs fans.

I'm glad they are increasing emphasis on Quebec scouting and all, but that's exactly it, it should be about loyalty to the city and region.

Old
08-18-2012, 09:59 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Great post.

Totally agree on the Darche/Bouillon connection that you brought up, and I definitely think we are going to see some serious anger among some posters here when (and I'm telling you now, it's gonna happen) one of or both Emelin and Diaz get benched in favor of Frankie B. Heads are gonna roll around here.

I'm expecting it now so it's not going to be a big shocker.
MT will love the way Emelin hits and will keep him in the lineup.

Old
08-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Hannan sucks. That's why no one wants him.

It's great how habs fans always want Garbage...

Old
08-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Gustave

Well, we have found the culprit in the Doan 30 for 4 saga/future fiasco: meet the Buffalo Ville Leino's!

All this according to Bucigross from Espn(I think). It's being discussed on the trade board.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:14 AM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Well, we have found the culprit in the Doan 30 for 4 saga/future fiasco: meet the Buffalo Ville Leino's!

All this according to Bucigross from Espn(I think). It's being discussed on the trade board.
Just get it over with and re-sign with the Coyotes Doan so people can finally stop talking about you again.. This fiasco as dragged on long enough.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:02 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Hannan sucks. That's why no one wants him.

It's great how habs fans always want Garbage...
People here want what Hanan WAS. If they saw him play the last 2 years their opinions would likely change. His best years are way behind him.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:14 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
People here want what Hanan WAS. If they saw him play the last 2 years their opinions would likely change. His best years are way behind him.
That's exactly what I said as well, I guess we are the ones that don't know what were talking about

Old
08-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
If I wanted what Hannan was, I'd want a top 4 d-man capable of eating minutes. As a bottom pairing D-man playing 15-18 minutes a night Hannan is as capable as Boullion and fits the team's needs much better. And I'd only want him if I had the choice between him and Boullion. If it were entirely up to me, I'd sign neither. We have enough bottom pairing Ds as it is.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
If I wanted what Hannan was, I'd want a top 4 d-man capable of eating minutes. As a bottom pairing D-man playing 15-18 minutes a night Hannan is as capable as Boullion and fits the team's needs much better.
Neither Bouillon, or Hannan are capable of that. They're suited to around half the season at this point.

We signed Cube because he's French, played here before and knows Therrien. Furthermore, he's more likely to drop the gloves and go with someone than Hannan. His last fight was in 2007-08 where he fought Burrows. Habs fans will cry if players don't fight. Cube will. Hannan won't.

Hannan is like Gill. Except he can't block shots as well. So, he's a worse version of Gill.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Neither Bouillon, or Hannan are capable of that. They're suited to around half the season at this point.

We signed Cube because he's French, played here before and knows Therrien. Furthermore, he's more likely to drop the gloves and go with someone than Hannan. His last fight was in 2007-08 where he fought Burrows. Habs fans will cry if players don't fight. Cube will. Hannan won't.

Hannan is like Gill. Except he can't block shots as well. So, he's a worse version of Gill.
Your post made me laugh...in a good way lol.

Like I said, if it were up to me, I'd rather not sign any of them. However, if I had to choose, I'd pick Hannan considering we already have 3 small bottom pairing D-men already. Even if Boullion can fight, it's redundant. The same way if we brought in another top 6 forward who was 5'8, even if he fought.

I'd rather have not used that 1.5 on Boullion or anyone for that matter.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Maxpac

We're basically getting another Gorges in Bouillon and you guys are complaining? In 1 summer we're now 1 legit heavyweight away from being the toughest team in the east. Bouillon is the perfect example of what it takes to be considered a real Hab at hearth.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:17 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
We're basically getting another Gorges in Bouillon and you guys are complaining? In 1 summer we're now 1 legit heavyweight away from being the toughest team in the east. Bouillon is the perfect example of what it takes to be considered a real Hab at hearth.
Another Gorges? What? How? Bouillon has perfected cloning?

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Closed Thread