HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cal - NJ

Old
08-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Cal - NJ

To NJ:

Matt Stajan
Paul Byron
Leland Irving

To Calgary:

Travis Zajac

The Devils get a probable future NHL starter in Irving, a feisty, fast skating prospect in Byron, and someone that can fill in Zajac's role in Stajan.

From a Flames perspective, what really hurts here is to lose Irving. But Zajac is a good player and I would move him in that deal considering our goaltending depth is by far our biggest area of depth. By moving Stajan, the Flames would have the cap space to lock Zajac up long term and not risk losing him to FA.

Thoughts???

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Zippy316

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
To NJ:

Matt Stajan
Paul Byron
Leland Irving

To Calgary:

Travis Zajac

The Devils get a probable future NHL starter in Irving, a feisty, fast skating prospect in Byron, and someone that can fill in Zajac's role in Stajan.

From a Flames perspective, what really hurts here is to lose Irving. But Zajac is a good player and I would move him in that deal considering our goaltending depth is by far our biggest area of depth. By moving Stajan, the Flames would have the cap space to lock Zajac up long term and not risk losing him to FA.

Thoughts???
Devils have absolutely no room for Irving. Wedgewood, Clermont, Frazee, and Kinkaid will all be fighting for two AHL spots this year and the rest will be in the ECHL.

Maybe if the components were a little different, but even then, I don't think the Devils want to move Zajac right now. Good proposal in terms of value, but it's not going to work from a Devils perspective.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

I don't see NJ doing this, Zajac is too important for them right now with Parise gone.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
No interest in Irving or Stajan.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:33 AM
DBU
#FREEBAERTSCHI™

As a Flames fan, I don't mind it, although I don't like the idea of giving up on Irving.

Devils fans will scoff at this though.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:34 AM
hlaverty06

No thank you. Stajans injuries, Not enough space for Leland = no deal.

Maybe if Zajac indicates he isnt returning at the deadline and devils are out of race, Lou may trade him.

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
As a Flames fan, I don't mind it, although I don't like the idea of giving up on Irving.

Devils fans will scoff at this though.
I don't know what there would be to scoff at, I think its a good package for a player they may lose.

And yes I agree, it would really suck to lose Irving, but considering we have Brossoit, Ramo even Ortio, and Karlsson who is still on contract for this year, we have the depth to make such a move.

The kicker is whether or not this would work for the Devils. Irving would likely be their starter in 2 seasons.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
I don't know what there would be to scoff at, I think its a good package for a player they may lose.

And yes I agree, it would really suck to lose Irving, but considering we have Brossoit, Ramo even Ortio, and Karlsson who is still on contract for this year, we have the depth to make such a move.

The kicker is whether or not this would work for the Devils. Irving would likely be their starter in 2 seasons.
Terrible package for a 1B type center.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Zippy316

Quote:

Devils don't need another goalie prospect. They have four guys battling for two spots, and the other guys, who probably should be in the AHL, will be in the ECHL.

Not a good deal for the Devils in terms of what they are getting. It might work if the Flames take out Irving and add a center of more value like Backlund, but they probably aren't willing to do that.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:41 AM
hlaverty06

Quote:

Wedgewood will be our starter in two seasons. We got 4 guys fighting for 2 AHL spots

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Terrible package for a 1B type center.
Depends on how valuable you think Irving or Byron is. Irving is a future starter, he has a good amount of value. Byron has some value but not much. It's more of a quantity over quality deal, but it's adequate for a team that doesn't want to rebuild and just wants to keep pushing on. But the Devils don't need Irving at all, so it's a useless deal.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
no thank you.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

This totally seems fair....

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Devils don't need another goalie prospect. They have four guys battling for two spots, and the other guys, who probably should be in the AHL, will be in the ECHL.

Not a good deal for the Devils in terms of what they are getting. It might work if the Flames take out Irving and add a center of more value like Backlund, but they probably aren't willing to do that.
Fair enough, and I would be totally open to structuring a deal around Backlund. I thought Stajan would be a much more suitable replacement for Zajac though.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:27 AM
joestevens29

Seems like garbage going to NJ, maybe on June 30th 2013 if Zajac isn't going to sign in NJ, but at this point that's just garbage for NJ.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Seems like garbage going to NJ, maybe on June 30th 2013 if Zajac isn't going to sign in NJ, but at this point that's just garbage for NJ.
Seems like a typical garbage post on HF.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:48 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Seems like a typical garbage post on HF.
Why? Irving is bordering on a bust, Stajan has been public enemy #1 in CGY since he got there and can't be given away. Byron might be something of a throw in.

There just isn't one piece there that makes sense. Staal just went for a young roster player on his way up, a top 10 pick and a former 2nd rounder who is in College.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Why? Irving is bordering on a bust, Stajan has been public enemy #1 in CGY since he got there and can't be given away. Byron might be something of a throw in.

There just isn't one piece there that makes sense. Staal just went for a young roster player on his way up, a top 10 pick and a former 2nd rounder who is in College.
Have a good one buddy! Not even worth it...

There's so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to start and could care less to try.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:12 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Have a good one buddy! Not even worth it...

There's so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to start and could care less to try.
What's so wrong? Seriously what do you expect for Stajan and a goalie who has to clear waivers this year?

Old
08-22-2012, 04:17 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Nothing in this package really appeals to New Jersey at all, and Zajac is arguably the most valuable player on their roster.

I would expect a J. Staal package for Zajac: budding top-6 forward, high 1st, throw in pick/prospect. Maybe even more since instead of Crosby/Malkin, we have a 36 year old and a sophomore to fall back on as far as center depth goes.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:20 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

This is horrible value, considering Zajac's role on the Devils, and the fact that we need to upgrade on offense, rather than downgrade. That package is really underwhelming.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Here's my pile of s..., so let me have your #1 center. Probably take Iggy+/Baerstchi+.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Kershaw

Garbage players for 1B center.

Edit: Labeling Irving as garbage is too harsh. Byron/Stajan are crap though.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
I have said this before, the only way Travis Zajac is traded is in a package for an upgrade at center. that is it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:46 PM
ComixZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Here's my pile of s..., so let me have your #1 center. Probably take Iggy+/Baerstchi+.
I get that criticizing the OP's proposal is fair - if I was NJ I wouldn't touch it either, but that "counter proposal" is just flat out ridiculous. Hang your head in shame.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote