HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Prime healthy Forsberg vs Ovechkin

View Poll Results: Which one would you rather have on your team?
Forsberg 108 67.92%
Ovechkin 33 20.75%
I Can't decide 4 2.52%
Malkin is the son of Zeus 14 8.81%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-05-2012, 04:14 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
What kind of logic is that? If you're 25 or older, then you caught Forsberg's career and probably grew up on it. How is that any different from people catching Ovechkin's career? It's not. Bringing age into it is trying to prove a point without providing any proof.

Good points, but I DO realize how good Forsberg was. I caught his Hart and Art Ross winning year; I caught Forsberg's 27 point playoffs. I just look at those years the same way I look at Ovechkin's. I'm not going to add drama into it by acting like no one else did what Forsberg did. They were dominant, but they weren't worthy of all the praise and not enough to toss Ovechkin's peak aside as insignificant in comparison.

As for winning games, once again, a TEAM accomplishment.
Find another player who missed the entire regular season and came back scored 27 points in the playoffs without making the SCF, and then you might get credit for making a point here.

IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 05:23 PM
MadLuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantSakicAsMyGM View Post
Find another player who missed the entire regular season and came back scored 27 points in the playoffs without making the SCF, and then you might get credit for making a point here.
This is a very specific category of player.

Would Crosby this year count ? Or you have to have played 0 game during regular season ?

If he do 27 points in the first 3 round, then win the cup is he disqualified ?

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 06:02 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLuke View Post
This is a very specific category of player.

Would Crosby this year count ? Or you have to have played 0 game during regular season ?

If he do 27 points in the first 3 round, then win the cup is he disqualified ?
If Crosby can lead the league in playoff scoring this year, sure, he can join Forsberg's elite club of guys that missed the majority, if not all, of the regular season and still dominated the playoffs.

Of course, Crosby won't be facing the same level of physical abuse that Forsberg did, even if the series with Philly goes 7 games.

Old
04-05-2012, 07:11 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Well, the regular season is hard to specify, but there have been NUMEROUS players who have had as much or more points than Forsberg in the same amount of games. That said, Forsberg is still in top company with those stats.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 07:20 PM
du5566*

Regardless of who you think had the better prime would anyone really take a 100 point left wing who is a defensive liability over a 100 point two way center??? For this alone I take Forsberg over OV, nevermind that I personally think Forsberg was the better player.

du5566* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 07:26 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Good points, but I DO realize how good Forsberg was. I caught his Hart and Art Ross winning year; I caught Forsberg's 27 point playoffs. I just look at those years the same way I look at Ovechkin's. I'm not going to add drama into it by acting like no one else did what Forsberg did. They were dominant, but they weren't worthy of all the praise and not enough to toss Ovechkin's peak aside as insignificant in comparison.

As for winning games, once again, a TEAM accomplishment.
I'm not saying Forsberg is the best player to ever lace em up. What I'm saying is that I think Crosby is and has always been better than Ovechkin. I also think Forsberg was as dominant over a stretch of his career as Crosby has been thus far in his. Therefore I put Forsberg in his prime higher than Ovechkin at his (and yes, I think we've seen Ovechkin's prime already).

As for the team accomplishment argument; well, duh. But let's look at things a little more closely than just relegating it to inconsequential. Part of the discussion here rests on the fact that one was a center and one is a winger. The two positions necessitate different types of players. Part of the reason Forsberg's teams were able to accomplish so much was because he made everyone on the ice better. Ovechkin, for all his world class skill, is able to get on the same page with other high hockey IQ players but he isn't really able to elevate lower level players to the degree that Forsberg did. Foppa essentially took a guy who was a 25-35 goal scorer and guided him to a 50 goal Richard trophy season. That has to count for something. Also, I can't for the life of me think of a winger Forsberg played with comparable in skill level to Ovechkin's running mate Nik Backstrom during his most productive years.

So yes, ultimately Forsberg's teams won those Cups but they did win them. Because he was a center Forsberg was able to have a hand in more aspects of games than Ovechkin is. That he was a playmaking center shouldn't be held against him. Like I said before, if this were all about stats you go with Ovechkin. All things being equal and I have one game to try and win I pick Forsberg over Ovechkin without thinking twice. Again, as a center the puck will be on his stick more often and he will likely have a greater impact on the game. He is also a dominant defensive player so you can stick him out there in absolutely any game situation. The same can't be said of Ovechkin.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 04-07-2012 at 12:08 AM.
glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:30 AM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Well, the regular season is hard to specify, but there have been NUMEROUS players who have had as much or more points than Forsberg in the same amount of games. That said, Forsberg is still in top company with those stats.
I didn't know 7 qualified as "NUMEROUS". If I can count it on my fingers, it's not that many.

In the playoffs, 11 players have a better PPG number (5 that have played more than 100 playoff games). Yes, Ovechkin is above him, but with approximately 23% of the games played (35 to 151). If he can keep that up over 100 playoff games, I'll start to be impressed.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:21 PM
MadLuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGonzo View Post
Better hitter? Debatable
Better goal scorer? Yes
If Ovi played clutch & grab hockey? Forsberg was built for clutch & grab, not Ovi.
Ovi's prime far better? Lol no...
Ovi the tank, with a natural monster physical ability not build for clutch & grab ?

Look at Forsberg average game played by season vs Ovy.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Aucoin11*

Ovechkin won two harts, two rocket richards, and scored 65 goals along with 300 goals in 6 seasons.

Forsberg broke 100 points twice, played behind Sakic for most of his career, and won one hart.

This isn't close, but HFboards has some bizarre love fest with Forsberg so he is running away with this poll for no reason at all.

Ovechkin was clearly top two in his prime, many would have said one even, and there wasn't really a close gap for third.

Forsberg was clearly the best player in the league for one season, but for most of his career he wasn't even the best player on his own team.

This isn't close.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:52 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin11 View Post
Ovechkin won two harts, two rocket richards, and scored 65 goals along with 300 goals in 6 seasons.

Forsberg broke 100 points twice, played behind Sakic for most of his career, and won one hart.

This isn't close, but HFboards has some bizarre love fest with Forsberg so he is running away with this poll for no reason at all.

Ovechkin was clearly top two in his prime, many would have said one even, and there wasn't really a close gap for third.

Forsberg was clearly the best player in the league for one season, but for most of his career he wasn't even the best player on his own team.

This isn't close.
QFT.

It is close, but ill take Ovechkin.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
regardless of who you think had the better prime would anyone really take a 100 point left wing who is a defensive liability over a 100 point two way center??? For this alone i take forsberg over ov, nevermind that i personally think forsberg was the better player.
qft!!!

Jeff_Dyck_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Crabovski*

Forseberg for sure.

Ovechkins "prime", also known as "stint before the league figured out his one dimensional play" is what brings him way down. If Ovechkin isnt scoring its likely he isnt helping. He hasnt shown he can do an abundance of things to help the team. Forseberg is a 10x more desirable player to have on a team. Forseberg will shoot when he should, no wasted shots. Uncanny and under appreciated passing ability, you think Sakic brought the puck to those sniping spots? No, Forseberg plowed around defenders to make Joes job easy.

Until Ovechkin shows he can accually score at a rapid pace in any other fashion than skating over the blue-line, use the dman as screen, low wrister. That puzzle has been long solved. He has nothing on Forseberg. Forseberg created beautiful plays his whole career and even carried a ****** Nashville offence. I would sooner take Stamkos over Forseberg. Ovechkin has done nothing but dissapoint.

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Prattio

Andddd Foresberg continues his run as most overrated player on hf.

Prattio is offline   Reply With Quote