Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CFL players in Canton Pro football hall of fame

Old
08-22-2012, 10:44 AM
smack66

vCash: 500
CFL players in Canton Pro football hall of fame

Good article in TSN about whether or not Canadian Football League ( CFL ) players should be inducted into the Canton Pro football hall of fame. Warren Moon is in Canton but recognition of his time spent in Edmonton. Other greats like Doug Flutie and Damon Allen had tremendous impact on Canadian Football. Presently Anthony Calvillo has broken just about every quarterback record there is in the CFL. I think if Canton is going to be a pro football hall of fame players like those named about should be included. Pro hockey hall of fame has non NHL'ers..

Wondering what others think

smack66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:41 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Serious question here. Are there any AHL players in the HHOF? Not legit NHL players who spent some time in the A, but guys who spent their whole careers in the minors? To me, a CFL player getting into the Football Hall of Fame would be on par with that. It may happen, but if the guy was good enough (IE Warren Moon) wouldn't he eventually make it to the NFL and have a chance to get in the hall for his performance there?

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:49 AM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

The words 'hall of fame' are really a misnomer in many leagues.

Ask most Canadians to name a football player and it will be all CFL players at the top of the list. They are the most-famous pro players here.

But HOFs never work that way.

A better name would be the US pro football hall of excellence, or something.

That said, Calvillo is way better than (former CFLer) Jeff Garcia and Garcia tore up the NFL for a few years. For whatever reason, the NFL chooses not to poach certain CFL players, or those players choose to stay in Canada.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:01 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
The words 'hall of fame' are really a misnomer in many leagues.

Ask most Canadians to name a football player and it will be all CFL players at the top of the list. They are the most-famous pro players here.

But HOFs never work that way.

A better name would be the US pro football hall of excellence, or something.

That said, Calvillo is way better than (former CFLer) Jeff Garcia and Garcia tore up the NFL for a few years. For whatever reason, the NFL chooses not to poach certain CFL players, or those players choose to stay in Canada.
I wouldn't say Garcia really "tore" up the NFL. He had one great season and a couple of others that were good, but the rest of the time he was a passable QB. Nothing special, nothing to write home about, just middle of the road.

As for whether or not Calvillo could do the same in the NFL, who knows? Flutie even said when he came back that he needed to get better at putting the ball in spaces where the opposing teams couldn't get it instead of just throwing it up. The talent level of every player in the NFL is just much higher. So while I'm sure he could have played at that level, but I don't think he'd have anything close to the same success he's having in the CFL.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Lobster57

vCash: 225
there have been a few CFLer's who have made the move to the NFL and done very well. Mervyn Fernandez, Cam Wake and a few others come to mind. But most of those who do make the NFL end up as back-ups and special teamers. So basically other than, maybe, Flutie there aren't any CFLer's who would supplant even the "worst" HOF candidate from the NFL any given year.

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Paddington

vCash: 50
I don't think CFL players should be in Canton. To me, the HOF is reserved for the best of the best in the world, not the best in their league. The best football players in the world play in the NFL. Calvillo's achievements, remarkable as they may be, were not attained by competing against the best. Therefore, I don't believe he should be immortalized in Canton.

Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:23 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post

Could not possibly disagree any more with this statement. Most CFL fans actually prefer the NFL while most NFL fans could not be bothered with the CFL. Personally - I would pass on a CFL game if they were playing it on my front lawn.

BostonBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:36 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
Could not possibly disagree any more with this statement. Most CFL fans actually prefer the NFL while most NFL fans could not be bothered with the CFL. Personally - I would pass on a CFL game if they were playing it on my front lawn.
Spoken like a true NFL fan.

I have no idea why NFL fans are so threatened by the CFL. Many CFL fans like the NFL, some prefer NFL, a lot prefer the Canadian game, most can appreciate both. For some reason there's a huge subset of the "NFL Fan" that has a need to complain about the CFL game at every turn.

I just don't get it ... it's not like NHL fans go around moaning about how the Swedish Elite League is Bulls#$%

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:42 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post

I have no idea why NFL fans are so threatened by the CFL. Many CFL fans like the NFL, some prefer NFL, a lot prefer the Canadian game, most can appreciate both. For some reason there's a huge subset of the "NFL Fan" that has a need to complain about the CFL game at every turn.

I just don't get it ... it's not like NHL fans go around moaning about how the Swedish Elite League is Bulls#$%
Literally, LITERALLY, no NFL fan is threatened by the CFL. We don't think about it. Ever.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:46 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Literally, LITERALLY, no NFL fan is threatened by the CFL. We don't think about it. Ever.

Sorry ... this was from a Canadian perspective. I wouldn't expect American fans to think about it. Perhaps "threatened" was the wrong word.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:50 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Quote:

I actually used to be a big CFL fan back when Moon and the Eskimos were winning 5 Grey Cups in a row. But then I started to get tired of a lot of the league's nuances like the Import rule and the rouge ( single point for missed FGs or punts that are not returned out of the end zone ). I think the final straw was watching a game in Montreal ( I can't remember if they were the Concorde or the Alouettes at this point ) against Edmonton that was tied with about 15 seconds left. Edmonton tried a 25 yard FG but missed so Montreal punted the ball out, Edmonton then punted the ball back into the Montreal end zone but it was punted out again until finally Edmonton just punted the ball out of the end zone to win the game by 1 point. All that was missing from this sequence was the Benny Hill theme music. Trust me - I know the NFL game is not perfect but that's what I prefer watching. One more thing - GO COWBOYS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
08-22-2012, 12:54 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
You just thought about it

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:54 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I actually used to be a big CFL fan back when Moon and the Eskimos were winning 5 Grey Cups in a row. But then I started to get tired of a lot of the league's nuances like the Import rule and the rouge ( single point for missed FGs or punts that are not returned out of the end zone ). I think the final straw was watching a game in Montreal ( I can't remember if they were the Concorde or the Alouettes at this point ) against Edmonton that was tied with about 15 seconds left. Edmonton tried a 25 yard FG but missed so Montreal punted the ball out, Edmonton then punted the ball back into the Montreal end zone but it was punted out again until finally Edmonton just punted the ball out of the end zone to win the game by 1 point. All that was missing from this sequence was the Benny Hill theme music. Trust me - I know the NFL game is not perfect but that's what I prefer watching. One more thing - GO COWBOYS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You had me right up until the last sentence of your post. Just terrible...

Old
08-22-2012, 12:55 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Sorry ... this was from a Canadian perspective. I wouldn't expect American fans to think about it. Perhaps "threatened" was the wrong word.
I'm a Canadian and I don't give the CFL a second thought. It's boring and 3rd rate.

No, no CFL players should not be in the Hall of Fame. You earn your way in by being the best of the best.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:04 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
You had me right up until the last sentence of your post. Just terrible...
I know I know - but they're the only team I cheer for that doesn't play in Boston. I blame it on Roger Staubach and Tom Landry.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:49 PM
smack66

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Serious question here. Are there any AHL players in the HHOF? Not legit NHL players who spent some time in the A, but guys who spent their whole careers in the minors? To me, a CFL player getting into the Football Hall of Fame would be on par with that. It may happen, but if the guy was good enough (IE Warren Moon) wouldn't he eventually make it to the NFL and have a chance to get in the hall for his performance there?
I wouldnt see him in the HOF just because of performance but also because of how he has promoted football as a whole.. Similar to a builders catagory. I guess the question comes down to is it a Football hall of fame or an NFL hall of fame. I truly dont know much about it. Would people such as Bear Bryant or other NCAA icons be in the HOF?

smack66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor

As a big fan of both leagues, I say that no way should CFL players be considered for Canton based just on their play in that league.

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:59 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack66 View Post
I wouldnt see him in the HOF just because of performance but also because of how he has promoted football as a whole.. Similar to a builders catagory. I guess the question comes down to is it a Football hall of fame or an NFL hall of fame. I truly dont know much about it. Would people such as Bear Bryant or other NCAA icons be in the HOF?
There's a College Football Hall of Fame (in Southbend, Indiana - GO IRISH!!) that is separate from the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton Ohio.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:01 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I know I know - but they're the only team I cheer for that doesn't play in Boston. I blame it on Roger Staubach and Tom Landry.
That's okay, we won't hold it against you........that much.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:50 PM
RustyBruins72

Then call it the NFL hall of fame.

What sense does it make to call it the "Pro Football Hall of Fame" if no consideration is given to any other "Pro" football players?

I think it would be cool if they gave consideration to CFL players.

And for the record I am a fan of both leagues.

RustyBruins72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:54 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
I'm a Canadian and I don't give the CFL a second thought. It's boring and 3rd rate.

No, no CFL players should not be in the Hall of Fame. You earn your way in by being the best of the best.
This is essentially what I'm talking about. It's never .. "meh ... I just like NFL" .. it's "meh ... I like the NFL ... and the CFL is stupid and it smells bad". Just strikes me as odd that people feel the need to put one league down at the expense of the other. To each their own ... just an observation.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:33 PM
PolishBingo
King Pierogie IV

Went to the HOF in Canton a few weeks ago. It does say Football Hall of fame not NFL football Hof. The only non NFL player was former AFL Buffalo Bills Billy Shawill. They did have a section where they lumped the CFL, USFL, XFL and various other leagues together in one room.

PolishBingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:43 PM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

I'm wondering when the NFL is finally going to move north of the border. Toronto would be perfect IMO. Move Toronto into the AFC East, and move Miami to the South. Mexico City would be bad ass too, but I doubt you'll find to many players willing to move down there.

KCBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:05 AM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBRUIN View Post
I'm wondering when the NFL is finally going to move north of the border. Toronto would be perfect IMO. Move Toronto into the AFC East, and move Miami to the South. Mexico City would be bad ass too, but I doubt you'll find to many players willing to move down there.
Montreal is a better football market, but unfortunately we don't have the stadium...same reason why the Expos couldn't last. Big O is garbage and a nuisance to get to for people in the greater MTL area (not including those in the East End).

The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:17 AM
KCBRUIN
Tuukka Time

You'd think the NFL, the owners, and the City could definitely come to an agreement to finance a new stadium if you consider how much money an entirely new television market, and merchandise market would bring in. I'm guessing the television deal would cover stadium mortgage payments all by itself.

And if they wanted to, I'm sure Molson could build a Stadium without a problem if a team was offered to the City.
Only problem I see with Montreal is no one will speak French.

KCBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote