HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Here comes the Union

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-22-2012, 08:42 AM
  #76
Johnsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
What is a fair amount of money a player should receive per week for playing in the CHL?

Johnsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:46 AM
  #77
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsb View Post
What is a fair amount of money a player should receive per week for playing in the CHL?
Considering they receive all their equipment, room and board, cell phones (not sure if all teams do this), gas money, etc. from their teams, it's really only out of pocket expenses - I think $50 a week is outdated but $75 is not unreasonable for rookies and second year players. If I'm not mistaken, 18/19 year olds receive a higher amount now and OA's get more again.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:48 AM
  #78
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsb View Post
What is a fair amount of money a player should receive per week for playing in the CHL?
Depends who you ask some will say fair value would say $300-500 per week then you will have other say say double.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:05 AM
  #79
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,274
vCash: 500
Considering they basically have a vast majority of their expenses paid for (as noted above) + they also have gas money and deluxe cell phone pkgs by most teams. Which is a lot better than any other teenager except the NCAA players that have free stuff under the table. I would imagine somewhere between 75 to 125 per week.
I also suspect their billets also chip in with additional perqs.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:08 AM
  #80
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Depends who you ask some will say fair value would say $300-500 per week then you will have other say say double.
When they get boarding, meals, equipment, fuel,....all paid for we are just talking entertainment basically. $300 a week for entertainment would be one heck of a budget. I see no problem in getting more than $50 to start but to jack it up to $300 a week?

Quote:
Today 09:31 AM
Ward Cornell
Maybe if the patents could form some type of committee to spearhead some conversations with the CHL Leagues BofD would lead to better end results.
This I could see as a much better idea. Have a committee devised from reps from each league (team even) and have them at key meetings the CHL has every year. They deserve some input, but to start a PA is ridiculous.


Last edited by BenchedGuy: 08-22-2012 at 09:14 AM.
BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:11 AM
  #81
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Considering they basically have a vast majority of their expenses paid for (as noted above) + they also have gas money and deluxe cell phone pkgs by most teams. Which is a lot better than any other teenager except the NCAA players that have free stuff under the table. I would imagine somewhere between 75 to 125 per week.
I also suspect their billets also chip in with additional perqs.
I'm betting parents also chip in for school expenses (books, lab fees, etc.), clothing, etc. - all the things any other parent of a teenager handles.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:20 AM
  #82
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
When they get boarding, meals, equipment, fuel,....all paid for we are just talking entertainment basically. $300 a week for entertainment would be one heck of a budget. I see no problem in getting more than $50 to start but to jack it up to $300 a week?



This I could see as a much better idea. Have a committee devised from reps from each league (team even) and have them at key meetings the CHL has every year. They deserve some input, but to start a PA is ridiculous.
Part of the issue is the non Chl fan don't look at the full picture they just look at $50 and ask how do they live so these are they types that will push for $300 a week.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:23 AM
  #83
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I'm betting parents also chip in for school expenses (books, lab fees, etc.), clothing, etc. - all the things any other parent of a teenager handles.
Too be honest, with some good intentions there is usually bad results happen in the end. Giving these kids too much protection and shelter from life's realities and hard knocks could be detriment to their growth as an adult.
Having to live on a budget and minding ones p's and q's could be ideal for them. Giving kids much more than 100 a week while nice now may not be in their best interests in the long run.

I know I will be flamed for that sentiment and that I want these kids to be slaves to the CHL and live like paupers but that's the furtherst thing from the truth.
As a parent some of the hardest decisions is saying "no" to my kids but at the end of it all it was the correct decision.


Last edited by Ward Cornell: 08-22-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:06 AM
  #84
bidzey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
anybody who thinks the the CHLPA or any other union are going to care more about the welfare of the players more that the lining of their pokets needs a reality check. They been living on another planet for the last little while. Sure they might give them a bit more /week, but at what price? I've always belong to unions for the last 30 years and they are all the same. I've actually been a victim of a buy out loosing my job once... don't ask it's too long of a story. They are vicious!

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:42 AM
  #85
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Part of the issue is the non Chl fan don't look at the full picture they just look at $50 and ask how do they live so these are they types that will push for $300 a week.
For the average person, this will be an non relevant issue for non CHL fans (unless they are lawyers). Most fans realize at least the basic additional cost clubs put out for the players. To look at appeasing the non fan with that kind of increase is not realistic. If you look at it in terms of what teenagers make at a part time job per week, I would imagine the average kid working 2 - 3 times a week wouldn't make more than $100 - $125. Even with that I would think they have more expenses than the average CHL player would.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:55 AM
  #86
Crottenham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
For the average person, this will be an non relevant issue for non CHL fans (unless they are lawyers). Most fans realize at least the basic additional cost clubs put out for the players. To look at appeasing the non fan with that kind of increase is not realistic. If you look at it in terms of what teenagers make at a part time job per week, I would imagine the average kid working 2 - 3 times a week wouldn't make more than $100 - $125. Even with that I would think they have more expenses than the average CHL player would.
Except that the average kid working at Tim Horton's and being paid minimum wage is also not doing his job in front of in some cases 3-5,000 people and allowing their beusiness to generate significantly more revenue than a Timmies. It's all relative.

Same argument as to why some people can't relate the massive discrepancy between what a plumber makes relative to what Steven Stamkos makes....no-one will pay to watch that plumber work!

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:05 AM
  #87
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Except that the average kid working at Tim Horton's and being paid minimum wage is also not doing his job in front of in some cases 3-5,000 people and allowing their beusiness to generate significantly more revenue than a Timmies. It's all relative.

Same argument as to why some people can't relate the massive discrepancy between what a plumber makes relative to what Steven Stamkos makes....no-one will pay to watch that plumber work!
That Tim Horton's kid also doesn't get a lot of perks associated with his/her job, nor does that Timmie's job prepare someone to potentially earn a ton of money in a couple of years.

You're right - it's all relative.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:12 AM
  #88
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Except that the average kid working at Tim Horton's and being paid minimum wage is also not doing his job in front of in some cases 3-5,000 people and allowing their beusiness to generate significantly more revenue than a Timmies. It's all relative.

Same argument as to why some people can't relate the massive discrepancy between what a plumber makes relative to what Steven Stamkos makes....no-one will pay to watch that plumber work!
Also there would be a lot of other kids that would love to play infront of 3-3,500 people and be in these kids shoes. The perks alone make up any difference.

I was just using it as an example for somewhat of a measuring stick. Do you actually think that these kids should get $300+ per week?

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:24 AM
  #89
Johnsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Also there would be a lot of other kids that would love to play infront of 3-3,500 people and be in these kids shoes. The perks alone make up any difference.

Thats a ridiclous statement, a lot of people would love to do a lot of things they can't. Doesn't mean you miss treat the one's that can! In hockey Tim's or whatever it is.

And no I don't think they should get $300+ a week.

Johnsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:33 AM
  #90
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,866
vCash: 500
Fair enough -- in your opinion, how are players mistreated at the present time?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:33 AM
  #91
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsb View Post
Also there would be a lot of other kids that would love to play infront of 3-3,500 people and be in these kids shoes. The perks alone make up any difference.

Thats a ridiclous statement, a lot of people would love to do a lot of things they can't. Doesn't mean you miss treat the one's that can! In hockey Tim's or whatever it is.

And no I don't think they should get $300+ a week.
So these players are being mistreated now? They get education packages, pretty much unlimited equipment as needed, housing, meals, phone packages and start off at $50 per week to play a game that could fast track them to the pro ranks where they can play a game that most love for a living! And now they are being mistreated? Can you explain?

As for the rest, it was in response to Crottenham and the example of monitary value I was comparing part time jobs to. Of course everyone is not on their talent level, but I am pretty sure most of the kids want to play in the CHL. Rules were established before they got here, they know what the situation was like before they got here.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:47 AM
  #92
Johnsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Misstreated was the wrong word to use. I don't beileive they are misstreated.

I do beleive that when they arrange for a school package the package should be there for them not taken away if they if they play somewhere at a higher level for a short period of time. The $50 means nothing at this point.

Johnsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:03 PM
  #93
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsb View Post
Misstreated was the wrong word to use. I don't beileive they are misstreated.

I do beleive that when they arrange for a school package the package should be there for them not taken away if they if they play somewhere at a higher level for a short period of time. The $50 means nothing at this point.
Some of these established rules can seem out dated. As far as Education packages expiring (after 18 months I think?) and the weekly allowance, it would be nice for the CHL to take another look at these stipulations.

I can see a player trying to make it thru some avenue to make it to the pro's. If you are trying to make it in the AHL/ECHL/DEL...etc then I can see an exception for it being held for those players/situations. But if you decide to take 3 years off and "discover the world" then I can see it expiring.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:13 PM
  #94
Johnsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Agree, the 18 months needs to be relooked at for a player looking to play pro.

Johnsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:33 PM
  #95
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,866
vCash: 500
We're gonna need some popcorn to watch how this all plays out.

http://www.chl.ca/article/statement-...t-david-branch

Quote:
Our league is comprised of 60 teams, all of which operate as individual corporate entities. Given this structure, any organization drive would be required to be at an individual team level.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:51 PM
  #96
bidzey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
not only that but the players are not employees. you can unionize the coaches, trainers, support staff, etc... but the players are not employees. It's not that much different than a union trying to unionize a college student on a hockey scolarship. Ya school!! you better treat me right or I'll go see my union!!!! lol

players already have somebody representing them... it's call an agent, and the NHLPA is a totally different situation, the players actually were being abused by owners where something had to be done.

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:05 PM
  #97
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,866
vCash: 500
The players also have another group looking out for their best interests. They're called parents.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.