HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sending sticks back to warrior

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-21-2012, 04:59 PM
  #1
ryangib
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 515
vCash: 500
Sending sticks back to warrior

So last night some jack ass in new jersey tomahawk chopped my brand new stick into 2 pieces. I went and applied for a return authorization from warrior. However,it says they won't take it back if it came from contact with another player, board, etc.....how do they know how it broke?

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:38 PM
  #2
TrueBlue86
Registered User
 
TrueBlue86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
they is smart

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:49 PM
  #3
thrillhouse99
Registered User
 
thrillhouse99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 841
vCash: 500
I'm not a hockey expert but I do have a fair amount of expertise with golf equipment. When you send back a golf club to get it replaced they know where the shaft can break under normal circumstances (under the grip, at the neck, on the kickpoint) and they know the telltale signs of other kinds of damage.

I would assume that a hockey company would know the same about their sticks. They know how the structure of the stick works and they know how and why it would break. Therefore I would assume they will be able to figure out how it broke.

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:30 PM
  #4
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
I'm not a hockey expert but I do have a fair amount of expertise with golf equipment. When you send back a golf club to get it replaced they know where the shaft can break under normal circumstances (under the grip, at the neck, on the kickpoint) and they know the telltale signs of other kinds of damage.

I would assume that a hockey company would know the same about their sticks. They know how the structure of the stick works and they know how and why it would break. Therefore I would assume they will be able to figure out how it broke.
Correct. The warranty is for manufacturer's DEFECTS, not the user slamming the stick on the ice or someone else breaking the stick.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:33 PM
  #5
ryangib
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 515
vCash: 500
Well, they just emailed me the return authorization. The same thing happened to me with a Christian 1 piece and they sent me a new one. I guess I'll just have have to keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the input fellas.

Where on the shaft would it be expected to break due to defect?

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:37 PM
  #6
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,277
vCash: 500
Depending on the situation, they can tell.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:57 PM
  #7
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,426
vCash: 500
Send it in and let them make the assessment. Technically you probably shouldn't, but if it's brand new and broke from a slash, it could have been defective.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:22 PM
  #8
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Send it in and let them make the assessment. Technically you probably shouldn't, but if it's brand new and broke from a slash, it could have been defective.
Indeed. Even when you break a stick on a shot, there's normally been a slash or some other impact that has weakened the stick to the point where the shot breaks it, legit manufacturing defects are fairly rare. Manufacturers say they won't replace a stick that broke due to slashes and whatnot, but in practice they often do. May as well send it in and see if they give you a new one, although the replacement may not be the same model/curve/flex.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:54 PM
  #9
SouthpawTRK
Registered User
 
SouthpawTRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 461
vCash: 500
When you get an RA#, there's no guarantee that the company will give you a replacement and/or repair the item. The RA# is for the vendor to process the return and assess the item whether it's under warranty or not; basically they put the item under "warranty consideration". Companies can tell whether the item is defective in the manufacturing process or if the item broke due to misuse/abuse. I don't work in the hockey industry, but in the golf industry and I make about 20 calls a week to various manufacturers regarding warranty consideration on "defective" equipment. Half of the golf clubs with broken shafts are due to golfers that have bad technique; yet the customer always will claim it's defective.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:50 PM
  #10
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,361
vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Manufacturers say they won't replace a stick that broke due to slashes and whatnot, but in practice they often do.
This is what I have always found. I also find that the less information I give them, the better.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:34 PM
  #11
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
This is what I have always found. I also find that the less information I give them, the better.
Otherwise known as: The sneakier I am about it, the more likely I am to successfully commit fraud.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:58 PM
  #12
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Correct. The warranty is for manufacturer's DEFECTS, not the user slamming the stick on the ice or someone else breaking the stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Otherwise known as: The sneakier I am about it, the more likely I am to successfully commit fraud.
How do you know the stick was not defective and caused the break?

You don't, which is why you shouldn't label him.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:05 PM
  #13
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,277
vCash: 500
Doesn't matter, it's between him and the company as per their guidelines. If he gets a free stick, great, if not, suck it up.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:08 PM
  #14
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 7,603
vCash: 500
Buddy of mine had his Dynasty replaced after breaking it with a slap shot.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:15 PM
  #15
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Doesn't matter, it's between him and the company as per their guidelines.
Heed your own advice.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:30 PM
  #16
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Heed your own advice.
I'm not giving advice lol, I'm chastising

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 01:55 AM
  #17
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,361
vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Otherwise known as: The sneakier I am about it, the more likely I am to successfully commit fraud.
Fraud seems a little harsh! Im leaving it up to the people who designed the stick to see if they were at fault. You say it broke, its up for them to decide how it broke and if they want to fullfil it. Easton takes care of their customers and in doing so they have mad a lifelong customer out of me.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:10 AM
  #18
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
Fraud seems a little harsh! Im leaving it up to the people who designed the stick to see if they were at fault. You say it broke, its up for them to decide how it broke and if they want to fullfil it. Easton takes care of their customers and in doing so they have mad a lifelong customer out of me.
Sorry for being blunt, I've just seen too many dishonest people try this sort of thing. On the flip side, the honest people who've tried this and succeeded have, like you said, acquired greater brand loyalty because of it.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:19 AM
  #19
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,313
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
I'm not a hockey expert but I do have a fair amount of expertise with golf equipment. When you send back a golf club to get it replaced they know where the shaft can break under normal circumstances (under the grip, at the neck, on the kickpoint) and they know the telltale signs of other kinds of damage.

I would assume that a hockey company would know the same about their sticks. They know how the structure of the stick works and they know how and why it would break. Therefore I would assume they will be able to figure out how it broke.
i have a question for you, lets say someone had a few drinks on the golf course and made a bet they could toss up a ball and baseball smash it with their driver. say this person connected perfectly and the ball sailed but the club head broke right at the neck. this person won $100 but broke their driver (6months old). would it be replacable under warranty?

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:54 PM
  #20
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,361
vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Sorry for being blunt, I've just seen too many dishonest people try this sort of thing. On the flip side, the honest people who've tried this and succeeded have, like you said, acquired greater brand loyalty because of it.
How is it dishonest? Im not trying to trick them, I am leaving the judgement up to them, the experts.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:02 PM
  #21
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,277
vCash: 500
I didn't say you were. There will always be people who intentionally break sticks just to get a replacement.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:28 PM
  #22
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,361
vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I didn't say you were. There will always be people who intentionally break sticks just to get a replacement.
Im sure guys who work in the return departments have some great stories of things guys have tried to return.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:31 PM
  #23
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,672
vCash: 50
A buddy of mine broke about 7 Warrior Dolomites in one year and was able to get his money back or get a new stick every time. That was the last year he ever used warriors though.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:06 PM
  #24
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,426
vCash: 500
I bought a brand new Reebok 10k a couple years ago. I think my first or second shift it got caught in the zamboni door and split the blade. Done. I checked with Reebok and they wouldn't have given me a replacement so I was SOL. I don't blame them for not replacing it, but I think it would have been a nice gesture.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:28 PM
  #25
jsykes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NoVa
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Well, unfortunately at this point the idea of warranties for defects has pretty much been thrown away due to the manufacturers themselves being far too lenient with replacements.

A true defect in the carbon where it breaks is a VERY easy thing for those that know the engineering to detect.

However, the manufacturers have been far too willing to just replace sticks that have broken for any reason in order to be able to help justify their insane pricing that continues to go up (heads up as the upcoming Supreme sticks and Easton RS have all gone up again in price for the fall).

Because of this and because the customer now feels that due to the price, their justified in getting new ones when they break because the companies are screwing them with price, they continue to send anything back that breaks and the manufacturers continue to replace virtually all of them for fear of being the ones that start to actually enforce the warranty and people getting pissed and jumping ship to another company.

So at this point, you really have nothing to lose sending a stick back and its likely going to be replaced because the manufacturers have made their beds and now their lying in them.

About the only real dishonest actions regarding the warranty at this point are to intentionally break the stick and send it back or to generate receipts out of warranty to return the stick under.

Just sending it back for any break at this point is just smart as its likely going to be replaced and I have no issues with people doing that as the manufacturers have set the precedent to do so.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.