HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cal - NJ

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-22-2012, 03:51 PM
  #26
Machinehead
★★★★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,120
vCash: 500
As a Rangers fan, I think this is a steal for the Devils and they should jump all over it.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:55 PM
  #27
mytor4*
 
mytor4*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,175
vCash: 500
Typical-take our castoffs for your decent player.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:59 PM
  #28
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
I have said this before, the only way Travis Zajac is traded is in a package for an upgrade at center. that is it.
With Henrique, Elias, Zajac and Josefson, Devils don't need an upgrade at center. A top 6 winger is missing on the other hand.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:00 PM
  #29
Missionhockey
Registered User
 
Missionhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
I have said this before, the only way Travis Zajac is traded is in a package for an upgrade at center. that is it.
That is over simplified. Lets say Josefson takes the next step in his development (not saying he will, but if he is on pace for say 50ish points) and Henrique puts up something in the realm on 60 ish points. All of the sudden Zajac is not as critical to the organization as he once was. I'm positive Lou would shop Zajac to help fill holes in other areas of the organization.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:06 PM
  #30
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
With Henrique, Elias, Zajac and Josefson, Devils don't need an upgrade at center. A top 6 winger is missing on the other hand.
Even so, there isn't one in this package.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:13 PM
  #31
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 21,748
vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missionhockey View Post
That is over simplified. Lets say Josefson takes the next step in his development (not saying he will, but if he is on pace for say 50ish points) and Henrique puts up something in the realm on 60 ish points. All of the sudden Zajac is not as critical to the organization as he once was. I'm positive Lou would shop Zajac to help fill holes in other areas of the organization.
And if Ryan Carter scores 35 goals and 80 points this year, that makes Kovalchuk expendable.

Josefson has yet to play 20 games in a row without suffering a major injury, he shouldn't be relied upon to do anything at this point in his career.

Lou will not trade his best center if the Devils are still in the mix at the deadline. And he won't trade an impending UFA just because he's scared that the guy will walk for nothing. Zajac contributes in so many areas that there aren't many players in the NHL that could replace what he brings to the table.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:17 PM
  #32
JurassicTunga
Registered User
 
JurassicTunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Why? Irving is bordering on a bust, Stajan has been public enemy #1 in CGY since he got there and can't be given away. Byron might be something of a throw in.

There just isn't one piece there that makes sense. Staal just went for a young roster player on his way up, a top 10 pick and a former 2nd rounder who is in College.
Umm, no.

JurassicTunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:21 PM
  #33
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Even so, there isn't one in this package.
I feel Devs will trade a defence-man + prospect to get a "fine" forward.

Trading a top line forward (Zajac here) for another one makes no sense in their situation. TZ's 3 zone presence would be missed a lot moreover, Devs were a different team the first day he came back.

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:22 PM
  #34
DBU
Gotta Go Fast
 
DBU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,978
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Here's my pile of s..., so let me have your #1 center. Probably take Iggy+/Baerstchi+.
Jesus... Educate yourself maybe.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:23 PM
  #35
Missionhockey
Registered User
 
Missionhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
And if Ryan Carter scores 35 goals and 80 points this year, that makes Kovalchuk expendable.

Josefson has yet to play 20 games in a row without suffering a major injury, he shouldn't be relied upon to do anything at this point in his career.

Lou will not trade his best center if the Devils are still in the mix at the deadline. And he won't trade an impending UFA just because he's scared that the guy will walk for nothing. Zajac contributes in so many areas that there aren't many players in the NHL that could replace what he brings to the table.
When did I say either of these things? I threw out a hypothetical situation where Zajac may no longer be looked at as the best center or least expendable on the team. Thus the part where I said "not saying he will." If Lou is in a position to strengthen the team in his eyes by dealing Zajac he will do it, that's all I'm saying.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:23 PM
  #36
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga View Post
Umm, no.
4 years in the AHL, drastically out played by the other goalie in Abbotsford. Sure doesn't look good.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:42 PM
  #37
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,108
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Nothing in this package really appeals to New Jersey at all, and Zajac is arguably the most valuable player on their roster.

I would expect a J. Staal package for Zajac: budding top-6 forward, high 1st, throw in pick/prospect. Maybe even more since instead of Crosby/Malkin, we have a 36 year old and a sophomore to fall back on as far as center depth goes.
Travis Zajac does not have the same value as Staal. I like Zajac obviously, but his value is not the same. His last season without Parise, he put up Stajan like numbers on the top line. And while now he probably is fully recovered from his injury, missing almost an entire season did not help his trade value. I think given the fact that he is an upcoming UFA, I think the best the Devils could hope for in terms of a future's package would be a 1st round pick, and a B level prospect (if that was the goal of trading him).

The flaw I see with my proposal is that the Devils apparently do need to acquire a potential starting goaltender, which I view Irving to be. Many feel he has very similar upside to Schneider and Bernier, and I feel those comparisons are accurate. He's the Flames 3rd best prospect, and in no way some garbage piece.

My thought process was including Irving as the main piece, Stajan as a suitable replacement for Zajac, and Byron who is NHL ready.

I also do not view Stajan as garbage either. He has a negative stigma from his time in Calgary, but he is still a good and useful hockey player. I really wish people would actually watch players before making such strong comments about them due to group think. Stajan was one of our best players down the stretch last season where we just missed out on the playoffs.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:44 PM
  #38
tyflames
Baertschi is God
 
tyflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,599
vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
4 years in the AHL, drastically out played by the other goalie in Abbotsford. Sure doesn't look good.
Did you see him play in the NHL at all last year?

tyflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:50 PM
  #39
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,280
vCash: 500
Scott wedgewood will be our future starter. Don't need Irving

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:51 PM
  #40
Missionhockey
Registered User
 
Missionhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Travis Zajac does not have the same value as Staal. I like Zajac obviously, but his value is not the same. His last season without Parise, he put up Stajan like numbers on the top line. And while now he probably is fully recovered from his injury, missing almost an entire season did not help his trade value. I think given the fact that he is an upcoming UFA, I think the best the Devils could hope for in terms of a future's package would be a 1st round pick, and a B level prospect (if that was the goal of trading him).

The flaw I see with my proposal is that the Devils apparently do need to acquire a potential starting goaltender, which I view Irving to be. Many feel he has very similar upside to Schneider and Bernier, and I feel those comparisons are accurate. He's the Flames 3rd best prospect, and in no way some garbage piece.

My thought process was including Irving as the main piece, Stajan as a suitable replacement for Zajac, and Byron who is NHL ready.

I also do not view Stajan as garbage either. He has a negative stigma from his time in Calgary, but he is still a good and useful hockey player. I really wish people would actually watch players before making such strong comments about them due to group think. Stajan was one of our best players down the stretch last season where we just missed out on the playoffs.
The only problem with that is Irving would not be in the NHL since both Brodeur and Hedberg are locked up for the next two years. If the Devils are going to acquire a goaltender it would mean one of Brodeur or Hedberg retired. Obviously that wouldn't happen until next offseason at the earliest.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:52 PM
  #41
Missionhockey
Registered User
 
Missionhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Scott wedgewood will be our future starter. Don't need Irving
What makes you so certain? At this point, Irving is a better goaltending prospect that Wedgewood.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:56 PM
  #42
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,108
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missionhockey View Post
The only problem with that is Irving would not be in the NHL since both Brodeur and Hedberg are locked up for the next two years. If the Devils are going to acquire a goaltender it would mean one of Brodeur or Hedberg retired. Obviously that wouldn't happen until next offseason at the earliest.
Absolutely, admittedly that was an error on my part. TBH, I forgot you guys had Hedberg and I should of double checked that.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:01 PM
  #43
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr
 
MountainGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,989
vCash: 500
is this a joke? Stajan and a Goalie prospect for our #1 center

Stajan lol

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:02 PM
  #44
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Did you see him play in the NHL at all last year?
Nothing really impressive.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:25 PM
  #45
Boondock
Registered User
 
Boondock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Travis Zajac does not have the same value as Staal. I like Zajac obviously, but his value is not the same. His last season without Parise, he put up Stajan like numbers on the top line. And while now he probably is fully recovered from his injury, missing almost an entire season did not help his trade value. I think given the fact that he is an upcoming UFA, I think the best the Devils could hope for in terms of a future's package would be a 1st round pick, and a B level prospect (if that was the goal of trading him).

The flaw I see with my proposal is that the Devils apparently do need to acquire a potential starting goaltender, which I view Irving to be. Many feel he has very similar upside to Schneider and Bernier, and I feel those comparisons are accurate. He's the Flames 3rd best prospect, and in no way some garbage piece.

My thought process was including Irving as the main piece, Stajan as a suitable replacement for Zajac, and Byron who is NHL ready.

I also do not view Stajan as garbage either. He has a negative stigma from his time in Calgary, but he is still a good and useful hockey player. I really wish people would actually watch players before making such strong comments about them due to group think. Stajan was one of our best players down the stretch last season where we just missed out on the playoffs.
Your OP was not very good no matter how you spin it. Zajac is NJ's #1 center, he may be more suited 2-way #2 C, but for right now he is the best C on the Devils roster. He carries similar value to a Staal or a Pavelski. In exchange for NJ's #1 C, you've offered Stajan, a player who after signing a contract to be the 2nd line C has played like a 4th line player. I will admit that he looked better the last 15 games of last season, but not good enough to justify using him as a top 6 C. Calgary used wingers to play C ahead of Stajan last year. Irving could potentially be a starter in the NHL, but 7 NHL games with a gaa over 3 and being benched for the AHL playoffs doesn't exactly scream sure fire NHL starter. Byron is an AHL player basically. He doesn't have enough skill to be a top 6 NHLer and he doesn't have enough size or grit to be a full time bottom 6 NHLer. I am a seasons ticket holder to the Heat so I've seen a fair amount of Irving and 20ish games of Byron and I wouldn't want either of them in a deal for a true top 6 NHL player

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:36 PM
  #46
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
I don't see NJ doing this, Zajac is too important for them right now with Parise gone.
Correct. Zajac is not likely to be traded, and certainly not for a bunch of spare parts from the Flames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I don't know what there would be to scoff at, I think its a good package for a player they may lose.

And yes I agree, it would really suck to lose Irving, but considering we have Brossoit, Ramo even Ortio, and Karlsson who is still on contract for this year, we have the depth to make such a move.

The kicker is whether or not this would work for the Devils. Irving would likely be their starter in 2 seasons.
Lou has never made deals because he is afraid of losing a player in free agency. In almost all cases, he'd rather hold onto Zajac for a playoff run than trade him at the deadline for futures.

And no, I don't have your confidence that Irving will be a starter in the NHL. And we'd have nowhere to put him anyway. Brodeur and Hedberg are signed for the next two years. The Devils are high on Wedgewood and Kinkaid, and don't need more prospect goalies.

Basically, this proposal is you trying to spin a bottom 6 centre, your "Jeff Frazee" type goalie prospect, and a grinder prospect into a legitimate top 6 centre. We'll pass.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:41 PM
  #47
Noori
Registered User
 
Noori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,699
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Terrible package for a 1B type center.
A guy coming off a season where he played a whopping fifteen games (and even the year before only had 44 points) is not a 1B center.

I don't see why the Flames would let Jokinen walk only to trade for Zajac. Cammy did well as Calgary's first line center. Leave him there and let Backlund/Cervenka fight it out for second line C.

The value is fine, but I really don't see the point.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:42 PM
  #48
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
is this a joke? Stajan and a Goalie prospect for our #1 center

Stajan lol
He's also a "#1 centre" that played only 12 games last year and is about to become a UFA.

Quite frankly this deal is bad for both teams. Zajac's value is low, as he is coming off an awful season, and the Devil's are better off seeing what he can do next season.

For the Flames, Irving is a potentially big part of their future. I can't see them throwing him away for a player who is going to become a UFA next summer. The Flames would be better off giving up nothing for Zajac and throwing him a free agent contract.

blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:46 PM
  #49
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I don't think you guys saw how Zajac performed in the playoffs. The injury is not hampering him. That said, I agree with your conclusion that this proposal is illogical.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:56 PM
  #50
tbcwpg
Registered User
 
tbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Travis Zajac does not have the same value as Staal. I like Zajac obviously, but his value is not the same. His last season without Parise, he put up Stajan like numbers on the top line. And while now he probably is fully recovered from his injury, missing almost an entire season did not help his trade value. I think given the fact that he is an upcoming UFA, I think the best the Devils could hope for in terms of a future's package would be a 1st round pick, and a B level prospect (if that was the goal of trading him).

The flaw I see with my proposal is that the Devils apparently do need to acquire a potential starting goaltender, which I view Irving to be. Many feel he has very similar upside to Schneider and Bernier, and I feel those comparisons are accurate. He's the Flames 3rd best prospect, and in no way some garbage piece.

My thought process was including Irving as the main piece, Stajan as a suitable replacement for Zajac, and Byron who is NHL ready.

I also do not view Stajan as garbage either. He has a negative stigma from his time in Calgary, but he is still a good and useful hockey player. I really wish people would actually watch players before making such strong comments about them due to group think. Stajan was one of our best players down the stretch last season where we just missed out on the playoffs.
Agree on the point about Zajac having less value than Staal. Zajac is good but the players are different situations. I don't think you'd get Staal value in a trade for Zajac.

Disagree re: Irving, I think he's a good goalie but he'd get lost in the system in New Jersey. They have enough time to develop Wedgewood and their other goalies, the fact that you consider Irving to be a potential starter doesn't mean that he has trade value to certain teams. Goalies are tough - not every team needs a goalie or will value a goalie different. Irving may have good value directly, but not to NJ.

I think Stajan is better than his reputation, but I don't think he is a suitable replacement for Zajac. Zajac is better, and the fact that you're not proposing a 1 for 1 shows that you don't think that either.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.