HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Patrik Elias and David Clarkson

Old
08-21-2012, 08:36 PM
tsipka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I can see that too I guess.

He is like Lombardi in that way or visa versa.
deff the other way. Lou was his mentor

tsipka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipka View Post
I agree that trading players away prior to the playoffs is not smart and teams need all the help they can get, but why not trade the rights after the playoffs if you're not even going to make an offer. Get some kind of draft pick in return. That is one policy that makes absolutely no sense.
That's something I'm fine with. Lou's policy of not trading a player's rights probably only deprives the Devils of late round picks, and those aren't worth much. In most cases, there is nothing to be gained by trading a players' UFA rights, and it's just a hassle for the player. The goodwill Lou gains for not jerking around guys going to UFA is probably worth something.

Quote:
This is a rebuild, call it what you want. The Devils replaced their veterans and misfits with other players. Some younger, some more talented but you did replace allot of players in a short period of time.
Maybe this is just semantics, but I don't see it as a rebuild. A rebuild entails multiple years of missing the playoffs and not even expecting to compete, like what the Penguins did and what the Oilers are doing. Replacing players from within while remaining competitive throughout is not a rebuild. While the full rosters have been replaced multiple times, it is nonetheless inaccurate to say either the Devils or the Wings have undergone a rebuild in the last 20 years, because they have consistently made the playoffs in that span.

Also, most of the examples of departed players that I provided were guys who left in UFA. Lou still hasn't traded guys at the deadline who are in his future plans.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:00 AM
hlaverty06

Elias has NTC it's up to him not Lou if he moves

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Missionhockey

Quote:
True.

Picture this scenario though, You can move Clarckson and Elias plus a little for Seguin and Krejci today. Losing Elias would definitely bite but your future would look allot better. I don't think this would happen at all but it is to my point.

On the Devils missing the playoffs? I think that losing Parise is going to hurt but I just can't think of a scenario as things stand today where you guys will miss or at least due to your roster as it stands.

Maybe this is when Lou, with the draft coming to you guys next year decides that the rebuild is on and that he is going to take full advantage of the 13's deep draft by moving a few players and re-stocking the shelves?

I don't think he will or really needs to go into full rebuild mode but Lou is one of the very best GM's around and has been for a long time now (all things being relative). Whatever he decides will be the right thing to do or at the very least the best thing for the Devils.

Aside from that I do sort of think that with the leaving of Parise for zero return this might be a good time to do a mini rebuild or retooling. You have some good young players but maybe a changing of the guard is in order.

Get yourselves back in cup winning mode. Not saying that it is necessary, just a thought.
I see what you're saying, its just not a very good example. Seguin and Krejci are much more valuable than Elias and Clarkson.

Also, Lou has never really gone into full rebuild year. Even in the year that we shall not speak about, he only traded away Langenbrunner and Arnott. After that I can't remember him downgrading his roster when the team was in the playoff hunt. Maybe in the offseason, but its more likely that he will stand pat.

Missionhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:15 PM
tsipka

Elias will probably waive his NMC if the team sucks and he is going to a contender

Old
08-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Elias will probably waive his NMC if the team sucks and he is going to a contender
doubt it. don't even think Lou would ask.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:19 PM
tsipka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
doubt it. don't even think Lou would ask.
Also a possibility

Old
08-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
I mean, what more does Patty need to prove? he is the franchise's all time leading scorer and he has won 2 Cups. plus he has stated before that he wouldn't waive his NMC.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:49 PM
tsipka

Why does he need to prove anything? It's not like he has a few years left on his contract. He will go to a contender for a chance to win the cup and then resign with Devils in the off season

Old
08-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
Assuming the worst happens and the Devils are out of a playoff spot, what would be a fair return for each of these players at the deadline?

--------------------------------------
Elias would probably get a return of a first round pick, a top prospect and a top 9 forward.

Clarkson might get a slightly worse return. Maybe a first rounder, second rounder and a mid-top prospect
So Elias will get more then Richards and Carter got when Philly traded him, even though Elias is moving at the deadline, much older, and is a UFA after this year? I don't think so.

Philadelphia Ducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Why does he need to prove anything? It's not like he has a few years left on his contract. He will go to a contender for a chance to win the cup and then resign with Devils in the off season
I doubt it. Elias has nothing left to win, and he knows his number is going to the rafters, so at this point his legacy as a one-team player might be more important to him than a one off chance at a Cup. He won't be begging Lou to trade him, and I don't think Lou will ask unless someone comes along with an offer he absolutely must entertain.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote