HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Canadiens Make the Play-offs?

View Poll Results: Do the Canadiens Make the Playoffs in 12-13?
Yes, they have strong chances, and could be a home team contender come playoff time. 14 6.33%
Yes, a bottom 4 road warrior position is possible this upcoming year. 97 43.89%
No I believe they are going to fall just outside the playoffs (9-12) 70 31.67%
No, they're bottom feeders, getting ready for tomorrow 40 18.10%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Dharvey33

vCash: 500
Price was average last year and the d sucked.

If Price steps up his game and the d plays well than we should finish 6th or 5th and maybe 3rd at best. our division won't be very good.

If Price is average this year 8th is the best we can hope for.

I think players like gallagher Emelin Prust will bring a good side to the team.

One thing is sure the games won't be boring to watch anymore sa va brasser pis pas a peu près.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 07:16 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post

If Price steps up his game and the d plays well than we should finish 6th or 5th and maybe 3rd at best. our division won't be very good.

One thing is sure the games won't be boring to watch anymore sa va brasser pis pas a peu près.
Alot of players who will bring alot to the team this year. Price can be major factor in our standings, thats for sure. If our D stays healthy, that will improve our standings. But our offense needs more scoring. We're basically expecting DD, Cole and patches to reproduce last years offensive punch (all had career years) and for others to have career years; for our offense to be above league avg. unless we upgrade our top 6, its going to be hard.

its defiantly going to be an entertaining year though, and as every year, its always fun to see our young players develop.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
If Markov plays over 60 games I think we'll finish in 7th or 8th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
I think if Markov stays healthy and returns to his form from a couple years ago, we are in the playoffs.
Our D squad is one weak knee away from the lower tier. I will be honest: 2 months ago when I heard that Barret Jackman decided not to test the UFA market... I felt emptiness!

I voted "No I believe they are going to fall just outside the playoffs (9-12)".

PS an optimistic view: Gionta is a warrior and his injury left a huge hole upfront in 2011-12. His presence adds a lot to this team.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 08-22-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I wouldn't say small as much as I would call them "soft". Emelin and Subban are the only two that have a defined physical game, and n'either of them can remove guys like Penner from screening the goalie. Price is going to have to battle for every cm of space and hack some legs.
I don't see why Emelin can't push back someone with the body he has. He's 6'2 with 230 lbs god damnit.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 09:38 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I understand, I guess you're one of those "win by an inch or by a mile a win is a win" kind of guys. However, our goal differential was better than a couple of playoff teams until the last stretch I believe and some argue that it's a better indication than a wins/loss record.
Losing by 3 and losing by 1 are just different styles of losing.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 10:06 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
damn bsl, least you can do is bring in some arguments if your going to shoot down everyone in the thread. because as of right now, you look like some hillbilly who's screaming "my way or the highway". Time to join us in the 21st century bud, and use some of you cervical attributes and post something of substance.

Also, being result oriented is not very smart, i doubt i need to explain myself on that one.

i think parity is self explanatory when you have teams like florida and ottawa that go from bottom feeders to PO contenders.
Fair enough. I'm being a crotchety *******. I'll try to post more thoughtfully.

I just don't like this team right now, sorry guys, I don't. That's neg, and I don't want to be neg about the Habs. And I know we are moving in the right direction, but this is a thread about next year, remember.

I'll be more precise:

1. Centers that cannot score goals. This is a very bad problem, and one I have rabbited on about enough in other threads. If you don't agree, fine. I think it's the worst thing about this team. I dislike our center lineup, very much.

2. Rene Bourque in the top six. Bourque's play last year was a serious concern. I was shocked by it. It is a serious problem. This is a key post on any team, and the guy is what. I don't know. Wounded? On drugs? What?

3. Not one true sniper prospect ready next year, or any year possibly. Not one. We are talking about next year remember. I have some faith in Gallagher, in 2 years, and possibly Collberg, but that's it, that's all, and that's bad.

4. Andrei Markov being depended on.

5. Thomas Kaberle being depended on.

6. Frankie Boullion being depended on.

7. Alex Emelin being depended on.

8. Raphael Diaz being depended on.

9. Carey Price. Yes, I'll say it. Love the guy, but not a shutter of doors last year, in any way at all. Show me the money Carey. Shut the door, just once. No bad D excuses, just shut the door. Been a Habs fan too long, seen the door shut by our goalies with worse D, and under worse pressure, many, many times.

Hope this spells out why I'm neg. But hey! Anything can happen if you make the playoffs!

Last edited by bsl: 08-27-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old
08-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

full season, no.

half season, maybe yes.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Fair enough. I'm being a crotchety *******. I'll try to post more thoughtfully. I just don't like this team right now, sorry guys, I don't. That's neg, and I don't want to be neg about the Habs. And I know we are moving in the right direction, but this is a thread about next year, remember. I'll be more precise: 1. Centers that cannot score goals. This is a very bad problem, and one I have rabbited on about enough in other threads. If you don't agree, fine. I think it's the worst thing about this team. I dislike our center lineup, very much. 2. Rene Bourque in the top six. Bourque's play last year was a serious concern. I was shocked by it. It is a serious problem. This is a key post on any team, and the guy is what. I don't know. Wounded? On drugs? What? 3. Not one true sniper prospect ready next year, or any year possibly. Not one. We are talking about next year remember. I have some faith in Gallagher, in 2 years, and possibly Collberg, but that's it, that's all, and that's bad. 4. Andrei Markov being depended on. 5. Thomas Kaberle being depended on. 6. Frankie Boullion being depended on. 7. Alex Emelin being depended on. 8. Raphael Diaz being depended on. 9. Carey Price. Yes, I'll say it. Love the guy, but not a shutter of doors last year, in any way at all. Show me the money Carey. Shut the door, just once. No bad D excuses, just shut the door. Been a Habs fan too long, seen the door shut by our goalies with worse D, and under worse pressure, many, many times. Hope this spells out why I'm neg. But hey! Anything can happen if you make the playoffs!
You're excluding the possibility that Bergevin would make positive roster changes once a new CBA is in place,

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 11:38 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You're excluding the possibility that Bergevin would make positive roster changes once a new CBA is in place,
which is really a viable option for this team to become stronger, and not to rely on everyone on the current roster to having career years for this team to become succesfull as soon as next season. i'm not overly positive for this seasons outcome, but more positive for smaller elements like eller, emlin, the DD-patches-cole line, Markovs health, Gally forcing the hand of management, etc. Alot of unknowns that make this season quite interesting.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:26 PM
BubbleGumPlant

Comes down to Coaching, Special Teams and shoot-outs

Our PP has to improve. That will depend on coaching, Markov staying healthy, and most importantly, getting Subban to hit the net more consistently without a ridiculous wind-up.

Our PK has to maintain. With the loss of Hal Gill, this will be difficult to achieve as our d-men are all very small. Hal Gill was a force on the PK, especially 5 on 3. It was an extremely good trade with Nashville, but he'll be missed. Watch the Hab's PK dropped to 10th-15th in the league this year.

Have to improve on shootouts. Carey has to be better and win 5-6 more games. Pacioretty will be a force and Markov and Gionta staying healthy will add some more stability.

Habs will be a bubble team and the 3 factors above will be the difference in getting those few extra points to get them in the playoffs.

But IMHO, lockout!

BubbleGumPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 02:13 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 50
Lockout

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleGumPlant View Post
Our PP has to improve. That will depend on coaching, Markov staying healthy, and most importantly, getting Subban to hit the net more consistently without a ridiculous wind-up.

Our PK has to maintain. With the loss of Hal Gill, this will be difficult to achieve as our d-men are all very small. Hal Gill was a force on the PK, especially 5 on 3. It was an extremely good trade with Nashville, but he'll be missed. Watch the Hab's PK dropped to 10th-15th in the league this year.

Have to improve on shootouts. Carey has to be better and win 5-6 more games. Pacioretty will be a force and Markov and Gionta staying healthy will add some more stability.

Habs will be a bubble team and the 3 factors above will be the difference in getting those few extra points to get them in the playoffs.

But IMHO, lockout!
Hal Gill isn't indispensable. Markov will help. Also, it would help if the Habs were to cut down on their penalties. (Hear that, PK?)

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleGumPlant View Post

But IMHO, lockout!

The kill didn't even notice Gill was gone last year. Subban played more minutes there and there was no loss of efficency. Except for on the 5 on 3 I'd say Subban and Gorges were more effective than Gill as PKers. Subban in particular doesn't get the credit he deserves as a penalty killing force, largely I imagine because he doesn't fit the stereotype of a penalty killing defenseman (big, holds the front of the net etc.). The impact of retriving the puck and getting it out cleanly shouldn't be underestimated.

The reall key to a strong penalty kill is Gorges-Subban as the top pairing and Plekanec and Eller as the top centers and Price in nets. With that set up they should have no problem with top 10 in the league. Beyond that is going to be determined by circumstance more than talent.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 04:52 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
I wouldn't rule it out, but I'm expecting a top-10 pick.
I agree.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 09:22 PM
habFAN09

If the habs stay healthy, with a full season out of gionta and markov. and gomez actually does something this season, with Price putting up a solid 30 + wins we should make the playoffs, i feel that with this team healthy we are a 6-7th place team in the east.

habFAN09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 06:58 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

i'm feeling that we're gonna have the same kind of lockeroom vibe and team spirit and excitement as they had in 09 with that rebuild. a big breath of fresh air that has a chance to work. of course the game is played on the ice, but that mentality ad comradery goes along way when combined with some of the various kinds of leaders we got in the room.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 04:08 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
So can every other team. We are comparing teams at this moment in time. And it is not given that our roster changes will be superior to those of other teams.

Old
09-01-2012, 07:00 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

IMHO......it depends on injuries. If Markov or Subban are injured for a lengthy period of time then forget the playoffs. The rest of the D are either too inexperienced or are one trick ponies to compensate for either of those two way d-men.

Teams will give DD, Cole and Pacioretty more respect this year too.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post

The numbers dont reflect price's performance last year. The defense is a cream puff unit particularly when you get to the potential 3rd pairing. Getting to the prime scoring areas against the habs took very little effort and courage, which is a nightmare for any goalie in this league. Management needs to do a better job to get price some help, but I dont think much was done to improve that part of the game.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 02:51 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
I expect this team to be a bottom feeder (finishes 13th in East). Injuries will play the usual role and we simply don't have the offense to make the playoffs. I don't expect much from this team sadly.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 07:08 AM
dutchy29

honestly, there is so much parity in the league anymore I think any team is a win/lose streak away from being in or out. we need the same checks as every year.

chemisty
as little drama in the media as possible
Price to be great
minimal injuries
Gomez as far away from organization as possible.
scoring ie. PP

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote