HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

The Lockout Thread: Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

Old
08-21-2012, 03:53 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Hate to say it, but a lockout *could* benefit Carolina more than most teams.
Quite the opposite this time.

Skinner will no longer be on his ELC
Faulk will have only one year left on his
Semin will become a free agent again with nothing to go off of to re-sign him
We'll lose a prime year for the Staals, Pitkanen, and Ward

basically the only positive is cutting a bit of the dead weight off the roster that will be off the roster after next season to begin with.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3729
nevermind

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3729
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
At this point, I'm actually pulling for the players so hard, that I hope they force this thing past the Winter Classic and through another full season. I'd be willing to give up another full season (or more) just to see the owners lose badly this time around. It's one thing to want to "partner" with the players to "grow the sport" and it's quite another to be greedy a$$hats.
I want hockey, and nothing could pass that, but I totally understand where you're coming from. Especially if the eventual agreement would mean the bigger market teams losing some revenue to guys like us.

Cons: Lose a season of hockey

Pros: Players win, revenue sharing gives us more to throw at FAs

I'd still rather have hockey. But the player's playing hardball and winning would be the next best thing, IMO.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Sad King Jimmy
That's hockey baby!

vCash: 50
I'd rather have hockey. I don't care at this point who 'wins', watching millionaires arguing with billionaires is tiresome.

Sad King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:02 PM
AD Skinner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonfortheHart View Post
I'd rather have hockey. I don't care at this point who 'wins', watching millionaires arguing with billionaires is tiresome.
This. Nobody will really "win" this argument.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Carolinas Identity
NY Rangers Bandwagon

The NHL should do like the NFL does and include a bunch of really nasty poison pills in their CBA that would take effect if//when it expires, thus making it *VERY* undesirable for either side to let it expire.

I believe two of the more nasty ones in the NFL's are the dissolution of the Salary Cap which would piss off the owners, and 25% less football revenue (57% to 32%) going to the players, which would piss off the PA.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:32 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I thought contracts signed before the lockout didn't age a year during it?

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Chicago Made Punk
Unregistered Loser.

vCash: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
I thought contracts signed before the lockout didn't age a year during it?
Pretty sure they did last time.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:38 PM
sheriff bart

I just think that the landscape has changed since the last lockout and the league may never recover if it comes to pass. The lost season is still fresh enough on people's mind that it will be salt in the wound to do it again. There are lots of other entertainment options between cable, satellite, internet, etc. to fill the void for the casual or occasional fan (you know, the ones that the league needs to capture to grow the game). The league is growing interest more and more through the Winter Classic and the NBC deal and now would be the worst time to go backwards.

Both sides need to figure out what will work and then work out a deal. The owners need to get off their high horse and stop with the "we are ready to lock out on Sept. 15".

sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Old Uncle

At this point I am not going to curl up in a fetal position over what happens. I have two grandsons ( a Peewee and a Mite) I plan to watch more of their hockey.
And probably spend that NHL money on them.

Old Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 07:29 AM
caniac247

Why wouldn't the owners agree to play 1 more year under the current CBA while they continue to negotiate a new CBA? Is it really going to kill them to do 1 more year under this CBA. The CBA where the owners, after losing a full season, got what they wanted.

I am seriously going to be pissed off if there is a lock out. And I will request a refund on my season tickets. Unlike in 2004 where I kept the money in the account and allowed PK to collect interest off it. Not this time. Give me my money cause I sure as hell can use it on something else.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 07:48 AM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Why wouldn't the owners agree to play 1 more year under the current CBA while they continue to negotiate a new CBA? Is it really going to kill them to do 1 more year under this CBA. The CBA where the owners, after losing a full season, got what they wanted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%E2...aseball_strike

What is stopping Donald Fehr from doing it again?

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:08 AM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
I want hockey, and nothing could pass that, but I totally understand where you're coming from. Especially if the eventual agreement would mean the bigger market teams losing some revenue to guys like us.

Cons: Lose a season of hockey

Pros: Players win, revenue sharing gives us more to throw at FAs

I'd still rather have hockey. But the player's playing hardball and winning would be the next best thing, IMO.
I can't in good conscience say that the top teams should throw more money down when a team like the NHL-owned Coyotes exist. I just find it highly hypocritical to say the top should give away money to make everyone compete when teams at the bottom exist that are not seeking to maximize their own revenue.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
The owners want as much leverage as possible, part of which is the impending doom that is the lockout.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Carolinas Identity
NY Rangers Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
The owners want as much leverage as possible, part of which is the impending doom that is the lockout.
I still think (and hope) that this is all over the top grandstanding by Bettman and the league.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I went over to the PNC yesterday to interview for a couple jobs. Asked about the possible lockout to a lot of the interviewers.

Seems a lot of them believe there will be a lockout, but it'll be a shortened one. It won't take the entire season.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:17 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff bart View Post
I just think that the landscape has changed since the last lockout and the league may never recover if it comes to pass. The lost season is still fresh enough on people's mind that it will be salt in the wound to do it again. There are lots of other entertainment options between cable, satellite, internet, etc. to fill the void for the casual or occasional fan (you know, the ones that the league needs to capture to grow the game). The league is growing interest more and more through the Winter Classic and the NBC deal and now would be the worst time to go backwards.

Both sides need to figure out what will work and then work out a deal. The owners need to get off their high horse and stop with the "we are ready to lock out on Sept. 15".

On the other hand, fans are becoming more accepting of the labor realities in pro sports.

I remember when MLB players went on strike and people flipped the hell out. Fans took it really personally that the World Series wouldn't be played on a voluntary basis. Stadiums were empty for a long time after that, and I'm not sure the fans would have come back en masse if not for the Ripken/McGwire/Sosa golden years.

Same thing on a smaller scale when the NHL locked out in 2005. People were ready to string Bettman from the nearest tree. There was a genuine sense of outrage, and it hurt the league badly, but the fans came back within about 3 years.

NBA lockout... not really a big deal this time around.

This NHL lockout... does anyone seem to be REALLY freaking out? Not like 2005. There's a sense of "here we go again" annoyance, but a lot of the interest is focused on the labor drama and trying to predict when it'll break through. There isn't a tangible sense of outrage and protest this time around. And I think the NHL is banking on the resiliency of the fanbase as they make plans for the next 3-6 months.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
This NHL lockout... does anyone seem to be REALLY freaking out? Not like 2005. There's a sense of "here we go again" annoyance, but a lot of the interest is focused on the labor drama and trying to predict when it'll break through. There isn't a tangible sense of outrage and protest this time around. And I think the NHL is banking on the resiliency of the fanbase as they make plans for the next 3-6 months.
I don't take this game as personal as some seem to so I don't really get worked up about a lockout or strike, as it's simply a form of entertainment for me. Same goes for any sport so if there is hockey and it is enjoyable, then I'll watch it and go to games. While I don't want a lockout, it really won't change my opinion much of owners/players. If there is no hockey, I'll spend my money on going to concerts, eating out more, going to college games, etc...which is the same thing I do when there is no hockey from May - October. When hockey comes back, I'll start watching again.

My quality of life wasn't any worse in 2004 when there was no NHL hockey and won't be any worse if there is a lockout this year.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:26 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I don't take this game as personal as some seem to so I don't really get worked up about a lockout or strike, as it's simply a form of entertainment for me. Same goes for any sport so if there is hockey and it is enjoyable, then I'll watch it and go to games. While I don't want a lockout, it really won't change my opinion much of owners/players. If there is no hockey, I'll spend my money on going to concerts, eating out more, going to college games, etc...which is the same thing I do when there is no hockey from May - October. When hockey comes back, I'll start watching again.

My quality of life wasn't any worse in 2004 when there was no NHL hockey and won't be any worse if there is a lockout this year.
That's pretty much where I am as well. And I think it says something that people like us, who are probably in the upper 0.01% of the population in terms of hockey fandom, are "meh" toward the prospect of having to wait for the season to start.

Part of it might also be the fact that the season is 20 games too long, but still. If hardcore fans don't get worked up about it, I can't see there really being that much negative fallout when all is said and done, at least unless it stretches out past Christmas, which is not likely to happen.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Gr8Dan

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/#clip745034

A. Ward reppin Raleigh talks about how the lockout is guaranteed. How exactly does he get the info if he's in Raleigh?

Gr8Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Psyduck
cephalalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dan View Post
http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/#clip745034

A. Ward reppin Raleigh talks about how the lockout is guaranteed. How exactly does he get the info if he's in Raleigh?
That was strange... Why was he in Raleigh to begin with? It's not as if NHLPA and the league are having talks in Raleigh.

Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Carolinas Identity
NY Rangers Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
That was strange... Why was he in Raleigh to begin with? It's not as if NHLPA and the league are having talks in Raleigh.
Gritty veteran A. Ward is planning a comeback.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:05 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
That was strange... Why was he in Raleigh to begin with?
He does live in Raleigh or I should say Cary to be exact.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Psyduck
cephalalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Gritty veteran A. Ward is planning a comeback.

Psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I know for myself and my intrests, a lockout would be really annoying and probably push me closer to the NBA if lasts a whole season. While I can't go to games, I look forward to Hockey each night and last season was what I'd call rebirth as a hockey fan... even when the Canes sucked and Sharks failed, I still had a great time watching all the games.

Its not life and death but its something that I look forward that I'll be missing.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote