HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks 2012 Prospect Rankings - #11

View Poll Results: Who is the Canucks #11 Prospect?
Ben Hutton 0 0%
Wesley Myron 0 0%
Ludwig Blomstrand 0 0%
Matthew Beattie 0 0%
Steven Anthony 1 0.92%
Peter Andersson 1 0.92%
Kellan Tochkin 1 0.92%
Alexandre Mallet 11 10.09%
David Honzik 0 0%
Yann Sauve 10 9.17%
Joseph Labate 15 13.76%
Bill Sweatt 4 3.67%
Patrick McNally 60 55.05%
Alex Friesen 4 3.67%
Pathrik Westerholm 0 0%
Adam Polasek 2 1.83%
Jeremy Price 0 0%
Henrik Tommernes 0 0%
Alex Grenier 0 0%
Darren Archibald 0 0%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-31-2012, 12:47 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Done and done?

12 looks like it should be a really close battle between Mallet, Sauve and my guy - Labate.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:54 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
Next time we do this we should specify what we are voting on:

a) closest to playing in the NHL, or

b) potential to be a great player, or

c) most likely to be an NHL regular, regardless of level ....

because all of these criteria seem to have been argued ...
Yep - there ought to be a systematic way to account for all of these factors.

vanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Fedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Yep - there ought to be a systematic way to account for all of these factors.
Why should there be though? Having fans rate a teams prospect pool is just as much an inexact science as having scouts rank these same players. If we asked 100 different NHL scouts to rank, or heck even just every scout in the Canucks organization I bet we'd see every single list look differently.

The word 'prospect' stands for the 'outlook of the future.'

This is the nature of the beast, but in my opinion just because Sweatt played a few games in the NHL already it doesn't mean his career has a better prospect than Labate's does.

That's the beauty of doing a random fan vote is you get everyone's singular opinion ranked into a vote, providing us with our final ranking.

Fedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:53 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
Why should there be though? Having fans rate a teams prospect pool is just as much an inexact science as having scouts rank these same players. If we asked 100 different NHL scouts to rank, or heck even just every scout in the Canucks organization I bet we'd see every single list look differently.

The word 'prospect' stands for the 'outlook of the future.'

This is the nature of the beast, but in my opinion just because Sweatt played a few games in the NHL already it doesn't mean his career has a better prospect than Labate's does.

That's the beauty of doing a random fan vote is you get everyone's singular opinion ranked into a vote, providing us with our final ranking.
Why not? Currently HF has a system in place that already accounts for ceiling and probability of reaching it. However, the issue fans sometimes have with it is that either:

a) The ceiling of the player is inaccurate.
b) Their likelihood of reaching their potential is also off.

I'm sure if we did a consensus - i.e vote - on these we'd have a much more accurate picture. These polls get burned through pretty quick anyway. Certainly a much more 'systematic' way of doing things rather than relying on gut feelings for prospects deeper in the pool who we don't have as much of a clear-cut picture of.

vanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:47 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Why not? Currently HF has a system in place that already accounts for ceiling and probability of reaching it. However, the issue fans sometimes have with it is that either:

a) The ceiling of the player is inaccurate.
b) Their likelihood of reaching their potential is also off.

I'm sure if we did a consensus - i.e vote - on these we'd have a much more accurate picture. These polls get burned through pretty quick anyway. Certainly a much more 'systematic' way of doing things rather than relying on gut feelings for prospects deeper in the pool who we don't have as much of a clear-cut picture of.
The best way to treat this is probably treat it like the value you would give a player if you were trading for them. Namely what the risk of them not reaching their upside and their actual upside and deciding if you would rather take risk on a player that might be better or take the sure thing prospect.

For example, most of the higher up were players that either have extremely high upside and were 1st round picks (thus also have the extra hype and slightly higher value just because they were recent high picks) or virtually lock to make the team next year (Lack and Tanev). You could also argue that's likely the value these players would have in a trade.

Thats probably also the main reason players who are likely to be NHL 3rd pairing/bottom 6 players in near future still haven't won (Sauve, Sweatt, etc) while those with top 6/4 upside are (for the most part) off the list or will likely be off soon (with those who are farther away being taken off now).

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23qwerty View Post
Crazy how much Sauve has dropped since being drafted
I don't think he's dropped that much, it's just that several prospects have surpassed him... and maybe he's not as shiny and new anymore... and maybe getting hit by that car last year set him back a little bit... and maybe a guy who probably projects to a #4 or #5 defensive defenseman doesn't really fire up the crowd.

That said, he'll probably end up having a longer NHL career than most of the guys on our list.

Ogie Goldthorpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 09:28 PM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Encouraging article by @anguscertified on McNally.

He provides some quotes from college hockey media who have watched him more than anyone.

ChemicalHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalHansen View Post
Encouraging article by @anguscertified on McNally.

He provides some quotes from college hockey media who have watched him more than anyone.
Good article.

To find out more about McNally, I called upon Kirk Luedeke (@kluedeke29) from the New England Hockey Journal and Red Line Report, and Joe Meloni (@CHNJoeMeloni) from College Hockey News.
Luedeke: He could be a top-3 defenseman and power play ace with his offensive ability, but he's going to have to simplify the play in his own end and not take so many risks.

Meloni: The Mark Streit comparisons he always made of himself really do seem to fit well. The offensive side of his game is such that he'll be able to produce points from the blue line regardless of the level he's playing at. It's not often a freshman defenseman picks up 22 assists in a college season, about half of which came on the power play.
Meloni: He's a big kid, and he needs to put on more weight. I'm guessing this has been a focus of his throughout the summer, and I'm sure he'll add to his 6-foot-2, 190 pound frame. In his own zone, his positioning and puck movement are already strong, and he's hardly a weak kid. But he needs to learn to his body better. As he adds he gets stronger, I see him rounding his game out well.
Meloni: Harvard's power play surprised a lot of people with how consistently productive it was, and Patrick was a huge part of that. As natural as he usually looks with the puck, he looks even more composed and fluid when running the power play.
Whether it's a break-out pass or settling things down at the point, he just seems like he's always in charge. There are a lot of very talented scorers and players with big shots at Harvard, but McNally made their power play go last season.

Sounds like we may have a true powerplay quarterback in the making. Edler is good on the pp and has a bomb of a shot, but I recall some scout a while back saying something to the extent that Edler may not exactly be a PP QB in the classic sense. It sounds like McNally could develop into one.

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
I'm going off the board here with Adam Polasek. I feel he could really excel at his style of play. He has size, an above average shot and can drop the gloves with the best of them. My 2nd vote would be Patrick McNally followed by Henrik Tommernes and Alexandre Mallet.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
I'm going off the board here with Adam Polasek. I feel he could really excel at his style of play. He has size, an above average shot and can drop the gloves with the best of them. My 2nd vote would be Patrick McNally followed by Henrik Tommernes and Alexandre Mallet.
we're a little past that now !

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1249091

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
You're a bit late, man.

Tim Calhoun is online now   Reply With Quote