HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 4.0

Old
08-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Elverpond

vCash: 500
Hey guys my friends and i are planning a trip to montreal for four days, we're all twenty and want to a)drink(judging by the previous posts this is an expensive city to drink in but we're almost all turning 21 after this trip and montreal is very interesting to us all because we're huge hockey fans/cultured) b)maybe watch some hockey c)see some live music in some capacity. we're from wisconsin so this isn't really the longest hike but the plane tickets are relatively inexpensive in the first couple weeks of october.
if everything goes well(with regards to the cba), anyone think we'd be able to snag three tickets to either montreal-toronto or montreal-bruins? if not, is there some nice hockey to watch around this time in the city?
good bars for young people, festivals, sights, - we'd be in town around the 10th-20th

Elverpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 01:38 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Guys, where can I find a good Doner/Donair/Kebab place in Montreal? I've been craving for it since I came back from Portugal. Something like this:

Thank you

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 03:13 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elverpond View Post
Hey guys my friends and i are planning a trip to montreal for four days, we're all twenty and want to a)drink(judging by the previous posts this is an expensive city to drink in but we're almost all turning 21 after this trip and montreal is very interesting to us all because we're huge hockey fans/cultured) b)maybe watch some hockey c)see some live music in some capacity. we're from wisconsin so this isn't really the longest hike but the plane tickets are relatively inexpensive in the first couple weeks of october.
if everything goes well(with regards to the cba), anyone think we'd be able to snag three tickets to either montreal-toronto or montreal-bruins? if not, is there some nice hockey to watch around this time in the city?
good bars for young people, festivals, sights, - we'd be in town around the 10th-20th
Those 2 specific games are the fastest to go. Scalpers will be out there if you're willing to negotiate with them.

For places to go, check the first page. You just missed Osheaga, Heavy MTL and Jazz Fest earlier. Personally, The Foufounes always has underground live music and I enjoyed it.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 04:02 PM
TheAntiPrice

Looking for some good headphones to buy (Grado, Shure, Audio Technica, etc)

Futureshop and Bestbuy aren't offering much, all generic Beats bs.

Any other place in Montreal I should take a look at?

See this thread for more details:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1247943

TheAntiPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 05:00 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Get the Audio Technica. Try eBay and Amazon. Also try your local computer/electronics store. Say no to Future ****.

Old
08-19-2012, 05:55 PM
TheAntiPrice

Yeah, Futureshop and BestBuy have a few AudioTechnicas, but not the ATH-m50 model that everyone seem to rave about. I'll go check out the Layton Audio store that was suggested in that thread.

TheAntiPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Elverpond

is it possible to go to quebec city from montreal for a day trip or is that something that you guys wouldnt suggest?

Old
08-24-2012, 05:32 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
is it possible to go to quebec city from montreal for a day trip or is that something that you guys wouldnt suggest?
I thought about doing it when I was in town, but you'd spend more time on the train than actually in Quebec City, so I decided it wasn't worth it. To do QC, I think you need at least an overnight stay.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Hey guys, potentially planning a family trip to Mont Tremblant in March. We want to try to go to the Hab-NYR game. We'll be wearing our NYR jerseys but we're not obnoxious at games. We can handle some ribbing for sure but how much harsh treatment should we be expecting?

Also, what are some good touristy things we should look to do in the area? I'm not going with friends this time so it's not really a drinking trip unfortunately.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 10:14 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

You can wear your jersey. It's okay. Check the first page for "touristy" stuff... If you're asking about the resort area... well not much outside the ski resort itself.

http://www.tourismemonttremblant.com/en/

Old
08-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Hey guys, potentially planning a family trip to Mont Tremblant in March. We want to try to go to the Hab-NYR game. We'll be wearing our NYR jerseys but we're not obnoxious at games. We can handle some ribbing for sure but how much harsh treatment should we be expecting?

Also, what are some good touristy things we should look to do in the area? I'm not going with friends this time so it's not really a drinking trip unfortunately.
None, even people with bruins jerseys don't get bad treatment... unless it's game 7 in the playoffs.

Well, you can always fall on a mentally challenged a-hole, but fact of the matter is that the rangers and habs don't have so much of a rivalry and when I was at games I never witnessed anything bad.

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
You can wear your jersey. It's okay. Check the first page for "touristy" stuff... If you're asking about the resort area... well not much outside the ski resort itself.

http://www.tourismemonttremblant.com/en/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
None, even people with bruins jerseys don't get bad treatment... unless it's game 7 in the playoffs.

Well, you can always fall on a mentally challenged a-hole, but fact of the matter is that the rangers and habs don't have so much of a rivalry and when I was at games I never witnessed anything bad.
Thanks guys.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 09:46 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

working on version 5.0 with more suggestions and a new format. Also verifying all the links are working.

If anyone has suggestions let me know

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Shabutie

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how long it would take to drive from Brossard to Downtown Montreal during rush hour (Pont Champlain)?

From what I remember buses have their own lane on Pont Champlain; how long would it take by bus?

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how long it would take to drive from Brossard to Downtown Montreal during rush hour (Pont Champlain)?

From what I remember buses have their own lane on Pont Champlain; how long would it take by bus?
rush hours are different from day to day... I'd say 35mins average buses do have their own lane on the bridge but things can get complicated when not on the bridge, best option is of course the subway

Old
08-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Elverpond

posted earlier in the thread, anyone know if the villeray area is a nice place to rent a vacation home during our stay? it's on the corner of rue d'Iberville and boulevard Rosemont and it's cheap

Old
08-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
posted earlier in the thread, anyone know if the villeray area is a nice place to rent a vacation home during our stay? it's on the corner of rue d'Iberville and boulevard Rosemont and it's cheap
Iberville and Rosemont is not in Villeray it's in Rosemont petite patrie I went to school 5 mins walk from there. I'd say it's ok, a little poor but not more than the average of the city, I also know there's no homes but only appartments it's pretty close from Rosemont metro ( about 5 mins by bus or a 15mins walk ). All the bars around it are pretty creepy except La boite a marius on Rosemont and Papineau, where you can really get a grasp of quebecois culture.

Going to school right around the corner I know that there's a little bit of gang culture, teenagers selling dope and the occasional troubles with the law, nothing bad really, downtown is a lot more hazardous for these types of problems. On rosemont and de l'orimier ( 2 mins walk ) you also have the restaurant called the Capri open 24hrs 7 days a pretty good diner that has been around for generations, pretty good poutine, smoke meat sandwichs, greek, burgers...

The Olympic stadium, botanical gardens, the biodome and saputo stadium are 10 mins by bus, driving east on Rosemont bus# 197.

Knowing the rent prices around the city I know that Rosemont petite-patrie is one of the cheapest area you'll find. I'd say go for it, don't expect to be in the most fun part of town but as a base for going around the city it's well located.

Oh and the area is mostly french, you'll probably be able to get service in english in most of the stores but don't be surprised if you ever encounter french uni-lingual waitresses and neighbors.

Last edited by Alexdaman: 08-27-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old
08-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Elverpond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Iberville and Rosemont is not in Villeray it's in Rosemont petite patrie I went to school 5 mins walk from there. I'd say it's ok, a little poor but not more than the average of the city, I also know there's no homes but only appartments it's pretty close from Rosemont metro ( about 5 mins by bus or a 15mins walk ). All the bars around it are pretty creepy except La boite a marius on Rosemont and Papineau, where you can really get a grasp of quebecois culture.

Going to school right around the corner I know that there's a little bit of gang culture, teenagers selling dope and the occasional troubles with the law, nothing bad really, downtown is a lot more hazardous for these types of problems. On rosemont and de l'orimier ( 2 mins walk ) you also have the restaurant called the Capri open 24hrs 7 days a pretty good diner that has been around for generations, pretty good poutine, smoke meat sandwichs, greek, burgers...

The Olympic stadium, botanical gardens, the biodome and saputo stadium are 10 mins by bus, driving east on Rosemont bus# 197.

Knowing the rent prices around the city I know that Rosemont petite-patrie is one of the cheapest area you'll find. I'd say go for it, don't expect to be in the most fun part of town but as a base for going around the city it's well located.

Sorry about that, google maps says otherwise though(email them to say that they shouldn't put the 'Villeray' title so close to the rest of the actual borough. You're correct, it is a multiplex with a few studios.
Think it'd be alright wandering home drunk at around midnight-1am though?

Old
08-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Sorry about that, google maps says otherwise though(email them to say that they shouldn't put the 'Villeray' title so close to the rest of the actual borough. You're correct, it is a multiplex with a few studios.
Think it'd be alright wandering home drunk at around midnight-1am though?
absolutely!

Old
08-28-2012, 07:51 AM
HabsByTheBay

I can't imagine many better cities to wander around drunk in late at night than Montreal. My first night I got slightly worried, then I realized it was entirely because the drunks around me were speaking in French. After that it was a breeze.

Even the "bad" neighborhoods are pretty boring. The biggest drawback are the locals-only bars where they give you a funny look when you walk in, but two beers later it's cool.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
I thought about doing it when I was in town, but you'd spend more time on the train than actually in Quebec City, so I decided it wasn't worth it. To do QC, I think you need at least an overnight stay.
Not really, it's a 2 hour drive from Montreal so it's not that far.. Just leave early in the morning and comeback late night. It will do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post

In the molson area people are dumb and drunk. The rest is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post

10 minutes by subway, 30 by bus, 30 by car.
Quote:
I can't imagine many better cities to wander around drunk in late at night than Montreal. My first night I got slightly worried, then I realized it was entirely because the drunks around me were speaking in French. After that it was a breeze.

Even the "bad" neighborhoods are pretty boring. The biggest drawback are the locals-only bars where they give you a funny look when you walk in, but two beers later it's cool.
just dont go in the Irish or Ghetto bars. MTL is good if you stay on the big streets.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:11 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Not really, it's a 2 hour drive from Montreal so it's not that far.. Just leave early in the morning and comeback late night. It will do it.

In the molson area people are dumb and drunk. The rest is cool.

10 minutes by subway, 30 by bus, 30 by car.

just dont go in the Irish or Ghetto bars. MTL is good if you stay on the big streets.
I assumed they didn't have a car, although it makes sense to rent one for a day if you really want to go to QC. That wasn't an option for us, so we didn't go.

What's wrong with Irish bars?

Old
08-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
I assumed they didn't have a car, although it makes sense to rent one for a day if you really want to go to QC. That wasn't an option for us, so we didn't go.

What's wrong with Irish bars?
I wouldn't recommend them. (Not all of them but many.)

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Le CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I wouldn't recommend them. (Not all of them but many.)
I call BS to this post... I mainly go to Irish pubs and have never had a problem.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 07:52 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
I call BS to this post... I mainly go to Irish pubs and have never had a problem.
I second that...without the BS comment

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote