HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will Flyers need both top tier centre and winger next season?

Old
08-22-2012, 03:32 PM
rban*

vCash: 500
Will Flyers need both top tier centre and winger next season?

OK, right now we're flying with Harts-Giroux-Voracek as first line and Briere-Simmonds on our second line, I guess.

Briere makes a lot of money and will be 35 next yr.. we may or may not bring him back. And even if we do bring him back, he may not play as well due to age.

Voracek may or may not be good enough to be a real good first line winger. No harm whatsoever if he is good enough for the 2nd line but not good enough for the first.. at his payscale (approx 4 mil/yr), most teams would be happy to get a competent second line winger at that price.

SO, if Briere deteriorates or goes away, and Voracek doesnt quite cut it as a first line premier winger, the top 6 will look like:

Harts-Giroux-??
Voracek-??-Simmonds

So who'll be available to fill in ??.

Will we be needing botha superstar centre and a superstar wiinger next season?

Remember that in this scenario, Briere's rather big cap can be used to fill these needs, so capspace may not be that much of an issue.

Let me add that Couts and Schenn may still be too young to be Top 6 and for the sake of having good forward depth, we may wanna keep both of em on the third line for awhiel ratehr than elevating them too early into aTop 6 role.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Did you just choose to neglect Schenn and Couturier or was it an honest mistake?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:55 PM
laundryman

Schenn will fill in the second line and Couturier will anchor the third.

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Mgkibbles

Let me add that Couturier doesn't play like his age.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Haute Couturier

The Flyers need a superstar center because you're too impatient to wait for the young guys to develop?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:05 PM
BroadStreetElite

Couturier should stay as the 3rd line center next season. The third line of a team is it's best defensive line and Couturier showed how good he was defensively last season/postseason. Couturier certainly has the offensive skill to be a 2nd line center. Likely after next season. Right now we're fine with Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek and Schenn-Briere-Simmonds as our top 6.

BroadStreetElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Briere has two more seasons afer this coming one... so he is here for three more seasons with a NMC. To me it looked like you were writing him off after this season with the Flyers having the option of either bringing him back or going another route.

I really don't see Danny choosing to move his family from the Area -- I hear he wants to settle here for the long haul -- and the way he is in the PostSeason, I don't seriously see the Flyers wanting to push him to waive his NMC and find him a desirable home while having to seek out another top tier replacement... who most likely would be at a higher Cap hit and much higher Cash Salary than the lowering Briere one.

Personally I wouldn't look for that great reduction of production and in fact I expect a rebound season as long as he stays healthy... I see the concussion being the reason for the drop off last season; he was having a decent season before it was short circuited... and his PostSeason to me points to the fact he is back on track.

That said, it seems the Flyers are open to a top tier winger ala a Bobby Ryan THIS season to place besides Giroux... I'd rather them go for a top tier or second pairing D-man instead. I believe Jake can become a force in the NHL and that may begin this coming season.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:37 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

...Schenn and Couturier will likely be the 2nd and 3rd line Centers THIS season. Why should we worry about next season already?

Also, Briere's got 3 more seasons after this one. He's not going to fall off the face of the Earth.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:39 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Wait, so one superstar center, two budding superstar centers, and a playoff superstar center aren't enough?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Wait, so one superstar center, two budding superstar centers, and a playoff superstar center aren't enough?
Go figure.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:15 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Everyone talks about Couturier being the third line center, but his line is going to be the second most played line this year (I think there will be a year). Bank on it. Couturier isn't going to get 13 minutes of ice time this year. He should be good for about 17 to 18. Schenn will probably start off at 14 to 15 minutes a night and Laviolette will bring him along and increase his ice time every 10 games until he and Couturier are at the same ice time. That's when the competition will begin to see who ends up in the second spot.

Something else should be mentioned. If you haven't read this article, read it.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ier/57206556/1

The sum of the article is that Couturier worked out this off season. He put on weight, he's talking power skating lessons and he wants to take a bigger role in the offense, but realizes defense always comes first. He's ready to take the second center spot. I'd like to read what Schenn is up to, but haven't found anything on him.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

if B.Schenn or Couturier can't fill that 2nd line hole, that would be disappointing.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 07:40 AM
FlyingHigh13

if Briere is put on G's wing is going to have a great year deterioration shouldnt be an issue this yr. and schenn on second line.

FlyingHigh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStreetElite View Post
Couturier should stay as the 3rd line center next season. The third line of a team is it's best defensive line and Couturier showed how good he was defensively last season/postseason. Couturier certainly has the offensive skill to be a 2nd line center. Likely after next season. Right now we're fine with Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek and Schenn-Briere-Simmonds as our top 6.
LOL Nice User Name, Friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Couturier isn't going to get 13 minutes of ice time this year. He should be good for about 17 to 18. Schenn will probably start off at 14 to 15 minutes a night
I frankly think both of them are going to be looking at about 16 minutes a game to start, but if there were any restrictions on playtime this year, they're probably still on Couturier. Yes, he's starting the season more prepared, but frankly, its too critical for Couturier to be strong and healthy in the spring than it is early in the season.

I think Schenn's body is just a bit more physically mature and ready to handle a little more TOI over the course of a long season. Even in a shortened season, I'd expect Couturier is still logging similar minutes on the first line with the Phantoms.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:29 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
OK, right now we're flying with Harts-Giroux-Voracek as first line and Briere-Simmonds on our second line, I guess.

Briere makes a lot of money and will be 35 next yr.. we may or may not bring him back. And even if we do bring him back, he may not play as well due to age.

Voracek may or may not be good enough to be a real good first line winger. No harm whatsoever if he is good enough for the 2nd line but not good enough for the first.. at his payscale (approx 4 mil/yr), most teams would be happy to get a competent second line winger at that price.

SO, if Briere deteriorates or goes away, and Voracek doesnt quite cut it as a first line premier winger, the top 6 will look like:

Harts-Giroux-??
Voracek-??-Simmonds

So who'll be available to fill in ??.

Will we be needing botha superstar centre and a superstar wiinger next season?

Remember that in this scenario, Briere's rather big cap can be used to fill these needs, so capspace may not be that much of an issue.

Let me add that Couts and Schenn may still be too young to be Top 6 and for the sake of having good forward depth, we may wanna keep both of em on the third line for awhiel ratehr than elevating them too early into aTop 6 role.
Briere has 3 yr left on his contract with a NMC, he's not going anywhere. But even so Couts and Schenn by then will be in their 3rd NHL season i think it highly unlikely one of them can't jump up to the 2nd line C position. As far as a 1st line winger is concerned they could look at a trade or UFAs if Jake doesn't work out but honestly if you consider what Jagr did on the first line last year sufficient then i wouldn't worry about it cause there is no way Voracek can't put up the same type of numbers.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
LOL Nice User Name, Friend!

And I wish the Flyers would have given Semin a shot. Giroux needs an elite finisher. Hartnell has a good shot and Voracek usually ends up passing the puck away.. Unless Voracek worked on his shot this summer, I'm not sure what's gonna happen..

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:51 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
so you just think that the Flyers aren't going to bring Briere back? How are they going to do that? Tell him to stay home? The chances of Briere waiving his NMC are pretty slim, and he isnt going to retire leaving $5m on the table. He's here until his contract is up.

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
This is the most glass half empty post I've seen in a while. Basically Voracek might not be good enough to play on the first line, Briere will die of natural causes, Schenn will not only not be ready to step up this year, but not next year either, and Couter will be have junior slump. To make up the difference we have to get a superstar center for not the first but the second line along with a superstar winger because Giroux, Hartnell and a second line calliber player just won't cut it?

I'm confused.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 01:14 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
The Flyers need a superstar center because you're too impatient to wait for the young guys to develop?

you dont know what these guys are capable of, if the flyers got a crosby type of goal scorer, i would say yes, but waiting 4 or 5 for players to turn out studs or duds, that could really hurt this hockey team.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 01:18 PM
chromemaro

Pretty happy with a top 6 of the following in a few years:

Jake - Giroux - Hartnell
Schenn - Cout - Simmonds

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
you dont know what these guys are capable of, if the flyers got a crosby type of goal scorer, i would say yes, but waiting 4 or 5 for players to turn out studs or duds, that could really hurt this hockey team.
So Holmgren should just hop on down to the Crosby Store and buy one?

Do you really think Crosby-type players are available for the taking?

08-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
So Holmgren should just hop on down to the Crosby Store and buy one?

Do you really think Crosby-type players are available for the taking?
Yes.

Oh, I thought you said available for the tanking.. Then I realized we aren't Pittsburgh

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:38 PM
FlyingHigh13

still dont understand this Voracek and Giroux pairing on the top line, their skill sets don't seem to fit. Voracek has a garbage shot and good playmaking abilities/size. Giroux is a natural playmaker with a solid shot. Why is everyone so hype about this combo? Explanation would be useful...think briere and Giroux would be better to go along with Hartsy

FlyingHigh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:49 PM
chromemaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh13 View Post
still dont understand this Voracek and Giroux pairing on the top line, their skill sets don't seem to fit. Voracek has a garbage shot and good playmaking abilities/size. Giroux is a natural playmaker with a solid shot. Why is everyone so hype about this combo? Explanation would be useful...think briere and Giroux would be better to go along with Hartsy
Briere plays better in the center.

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:00 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromemaro View Post
Briere plays offense better in the center.
fixed. He should be forced to play wing until his two way game changes. Put Schenn at 2C, he's going to have to regularly cover Crosby and other elite centers eventually, might as well start him now.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote