HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM] Taylor Hall signs seven year extension, $6m per

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2012, 11:49 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
If all of your players live up to the potential, and we sign Eberle, Hall, RNH, and Yakupov all to 6 mill, that's only 24 million on the cap.

Still plenty of cash to spend elsewhere.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:50 PM
DatsyukOwns
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsands View Post
Well, Hall's first couple of seasons are equal to, if not superior to, John Tavares'. At least give Hall another season to see how he stacks up. Regardless, JT was supposed to be a generational player. Hall is equal to the #2 pick in his draft year.

Hall's real calling card is the playoffs - we won't be able to judge him there until the Oilers improve and make the second season. Hall will be a perennial 35 goal scorer, akin to Kessel, except he has leadership and really turns it up in the playoffs. Don't expect more, I am happy with that - A Nash with heart.

And when Duchene average 30G and 35A for the next three seasons, and the cap is $100 million, and he is asking for (a duly warranted) $9-10 million per year pay day in 2015 - I'll come over to the Avs board to personally laugh.
Lol. People quote people on the Avs board priceless and really the cap is going to 100 million hey? Looks like Yakupov will be looking for for a huge raise as well as Hopkins. Don't forget about the amazing Schultz as well.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:57 PM
CHfan1

Love the deal for the Oilers, will look gratin two years and amazing in 4. If they would have waited a couple years they would have paid a lot more. He loves the game and it's shows. Playing with the Nuge he is going to score a lot of goals during this contract.

As far as injuries go he has had more of the freaky variety over the last couple years.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:59 PM
BinCookin

Let me ask someone this. Please list all the players 24 or under and how much money they make that everyone thinks are going to be bonafide stars. I'll bet you that Taylor Hall and Eberle rank in the top 10. That makes them the games future stars. This contract confirms that.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Edmonton should have signed a 2 year bridge deal. I'd want to make sure he doesn't suffer from consistent injury issues anymore than he already has.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:05 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Edmonton should have signed a 2 year bridge deal. I'd want to make sure he doesn't suffer from consistent injury issues anymore than he already has.
If you were Hall, would you sign that? Of course not. If anything it would likely be a pretty big sign from management they have no committment to you long-term.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:08 AM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Scenario 1: Hall is constantly hurt. 1st overall pick is a bust. That sucks for the team.

Scenario 2: Hall is amazing. Now you're signing him at an equivalent 7M+ per season instead of 6M (or worse, dealing with an offersheet). Hall remembers that you told him you didn't believe in him two years ago and asks to be signed until he becomes UFA so he can leave and cash out again.

Scenario 3: Hall is good. Now you're still going to sign him to that 6M contract and you might have saved a couple million bucks over the first 2 years of the contract. Big deal.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:39 AM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
While I may be an Isles fan, I do try and catch some Oilers game as I get the Center Ice package every year. I am a hockey fan in general and I enjoy watching Hall, Eberle, and RNH play. Oilers fans undoubtedly have much to be proud of.

It's always easy to fall into 'my player is better than your player', etc., etc. I try hard to avoid that as it's usually an exercise in futility, but it's hard to resist, isn't it. Tavares and Hall are at different points in their careers. Considering they have 3 and 2 seasons under their belts, it's a pretty small sample size. That one year difference right now is the size of the Grand Canyon so it's really difficult to compare them objectively.

Tavares had a breakout season and is now receiving the praise that Isles fans have thought he deserved way before now. Hall is on his way, but again - he's not there yet IMO. His projection numbers may be on par after 2 seasons, but the durability and games played can't be ignored. We'll just have to wait and see. From what I've seen though, I wouldn't doubt Hall. I really admire his game, but he really does need to start caring for himself better. He's a little too reckless, but it's a double edged sword - it's what makes him so damn special in the first place. I'm sure he'll make the necessary adjustments because it would be a shame if he continues to put himself in vulnerable positions because you know people will light him up every chance they get.

I think it's pretty clear that Tavares is the better player because he is more advanced in his career and is producing at the expected star level. I'm just enjoying watching him play and progress, but the temptation to defend him is just too great sometimes as evidenced by my posts in this thread. His style of play is also completely different than Hall's so it's difficult to truly compare the two. Just so many damn variables. Hall's a goal scoring winger. JT is a 2-way center (his strides in this department have been remarkable btw). Like I said earlier, it's comparing apples to oranges.

In any case, let's not sidetrack this thread anymore. It's about Hall's signing which I completely understand and think is a good move. I wish him the best and look forward to seeing how things go.
Well said.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:02 AM
Soundwave

Hall mentioned in his media scrum that the Skinner deal basically set the table for his deal. Once the Hurricanes signed that deal, things progressed quickly it seems. He also hinted that Eberle is looking to get a similar deal done as well.

So take that for what its worth, but Seguin et all will all be looking at the Skinner deal too I think.

My personal feeling was it was going to be 5.5/5 years. 6/7 years is OK, he gives up 2 extra years of UFA for an extra 500k AAV.

Also Hall and Skinner have the same agent. Hall had notably better production than Skinner last year ... I think it was silly to assume he was going to get less.

Last edited by Soundwave: 08-23-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old
08-23-2012, 01:33 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Not trying to derail the thread or anything but if he gets 6x6 after 2 hortened seasons then what does Yakupov get if he doesnt have 2 shortened seasons?

Or Eberle after a PPG season?

They are going to be paying 4 guys over 6 mil on offense all on their second contracts. **** is going to get nuts.
this is exactly what I was thinking.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:35 AM
GerbeSonOfGloin

Good deal for a non-laughable number of years.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:39 AM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Everyone has an opinion and that's fine, but there are some very ignorant posts in here imo.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:01 AM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFan91 View Post
Everyone has an opinion and that's fine, but there are some very ignorant posts in here imo.
Agree 100% people should keep there opinions to them selves, if there going to be that ignorant and Negative....

Old
08-23-2012, 02:19 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
this is exactly what I was thinking.
They're all going to get about $6 million per. It's basically already allocated for them.

Eberle is going to be signed soon.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:45 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
People need to stop using Tavares as a benchmark for Hall. If Tavares is used as a benchmark, 95% of players in this league are overpaid.

Old
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
Sorry, but that's no longer a valid excuse in my eyes. Oilers fans on here are very quick to compare him to Tavares and so the same dynamic applies now that he got his big 2nd contract. While he's technically in the last year of his ELC, that safety blanket has been thrown out the door. Expectations are now way different and Hall needs to breakout just like Johnny did.
What Excuse? I agree expectations are high and most Oilers fans believe (and management apparently) that Hall will have no problem meeting to expectations.

Quote:
He has to put up or shut up. Quite frankly, I'm tired of the incessant 'he was on pace for', 'he is projected to', etc. talk that permeates through this thread to justify this signing. Isles fans used the same exact arguments when JT signed his deal last offseason. It's all up to Hall now.
I agree, and I'm confident that he will.

Old
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

You can't say it doesn't make sense but if he keeps missing 20 games a year he'll never reach his potential

Old
08-23-2012, 02:46 AM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Not trying to derail the thread or anything but if he gets 6x6 after 2 hortened seasons then what does Yakupov get if he doesnt have 2 shortened seasons?

Or Eberle after a PPG season?

They are going to be paying 4 guys over 6 mil on offense all on their second contracts. **** is going to get nuts.
We're talking about 3 first overall picks here. Yes they cost money. If they earn 6m per year deals Oilers fans will be collectively ecstatic.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:00 AM
LSnow

Pretty premature to offer 6 M, then again i think they had to overpay to get the lenght they wanted, i am just little scared what will then Eberle get, as he probably could justify to get 7+M..

Old
08-23-2012, 03:02 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
If Hall signed a bridge contract similar to Duchene's, he'd have three seasons before the next contract. He was on pace for 36 goals in his second season. What do you think his numbers are going to look like in the three seasons following that?

You'd save ~$5M on a short post-ELC contract and then end up paying more with the post-bridge contract. It's more money up front and less money later. It's pretty simple.

I have a feeling non-Oilers fans don't know what Hall means to the Oilers or they're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:02 AM
MessierII

Quote:
For the type of deal he just got, 'pace' is no longer acceptable. He needs to produce tangible results from here on in. His days of getting the benefit of the doubt are now over. He certainly has the ability to do it, but he's gotta avoid the injury bug - no matter how flukey people say they have been. The spotlight has been turned on so he has to put up star level numbers now that he is paid like one.
Frankly I don't care about every single player earning their contract I care about Stanley Cups. How many Kings earned their contract this season? I could care less if he gets 0 points in 20 games in an injury shortened season as long as he shows up and pots 14 in the playoffs I'm good. He can play and will soon be captain and most of all he will be here for the next 8 years. I'm a happy camper.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:05 AM
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Frankly I don't care about every single player earning their contract I care about Stanley Cups. How many Kings earned their contract this season? I could care less if he gets 0 points in 20 games in an injury shortened season as long as he shows up and pots 14 in the playoffs I'm good. He can play and will soon be captain and most of all he will be here for the next 8 years. I'm a happy camper.
I woulnd be, id rather have that player potting 40+ and getting into the playoffs first.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:07 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
I woulnd be, id rather have that player potting 40+ and getting into the playoffs first.
Not worried about that...at all. If our team is going to need Hall just to squeeze in our rebuild has already failed. If it goes on track we should have the most stacked forward group in the NHL. I'm still a believer.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:27 AM
Finnpin

Since when did the teams start giving sophomore "on pace" players these kinds of contracts?

too much, too long, too soon.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:32 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
Paying for potential. Risky.
And how much did you guys sign Hudler for again? Wideman? I guess they are worth every red cent right? Hall is a 1st liner on most teams in the league right now, yes they are paying him for potential, but if he doesn't improve from here on out for some odd reason, he's still a top end player in this league.