HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dallas - Pittsburgh

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2012, 08:46 PM
PMF06

vCash: 500
Would take the deal. TK has shown that he can't play with Sid or Geno so I doubt he'll ever be a top 6 player for us. Morrow's deficiencies have been mentioned multiple times in this thread but his positives look like they would outweigh his negatives barring injury. Hopefully Morrow could find some chemistry with either Geno or Sid.

At worst we trade a third line player for a third line player plus a pick and more of a cap hit (Pitt still have a fair bit of salary cap space after the Stall trade right?) and we're left with the same problem of Jeffrey or Tangradi for the final top 6 spot.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:48 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
That's pretty revealing of how bad your D is ATM. From what I saw, he's still at best a #5.
Pittsburgh allowed one less goal than Dallas last season.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
And Dallas has a pretty weak backend.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:51 PM
ScubaSteve*

Quote:
Dallas gave up far fewer goals in the playoffs, however.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:46 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
And Dallas has a pretty weak backend.
13th in GA doesn't sound so awful to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Dallas gave up far fewer goals in the playoffs, however.
Hard to when you don't make the playoffs. One bad series doesn't make the Pens D awful all of a sudden.

Old
08-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:

Hard to when you don't make the playoffs.
Yeah, it's not much of a burn when the punchline revolves around your team missing the playoffs.

Old
08-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Yeah, it's not much of a burn when the punchline revolves around your team missing the playoffs.
It wasn't meant to be a burn (at least not at Pittsburgh's expense). He was clearly joking...

Old
08-22-2012, 01:42 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
It wasn't meant to be a burn (at least not at Pittsburgh's expense). He was clearly joking...
You never know around here.

I've seen things way more stupid than that said without even a trace of humor.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:00 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
I would definetly think about this one. To the poster who said Morrow can play in Pit's top-6, he's not even playing in the Dallas top-6.
Dallas added a few top 6 guys to their top 6 already, at this point...does Morrow even fit? Kennedy let's the Stars save a few bucks and not feel guilty about putting TK in the bottom 6 because he belongs there. The speed, the relentless forechecking and backchecking, stick licking ability, and the guy shoots the puck when he gets it and won't pretend to be a playmaker. For a guy that is on a line that is supposed to drive the other team nuts and cycle the puck and get a few chances, he's done well for himself and has earned himself a reputation around the league.

I doubt Morrow waiving his NTC would be an issue, how many would say no to Pittsburgh with the opportunity of playing in the top 6 because of a lack of top 6 wingers?

Old
08-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Dallas added a few top 6 guys to their top 6 already, at this point...does Morrow even fit? Kennedy let's the Stars save a few bucks and not feel guilty about putting TK in the bottom 6 because he belongs there. The speed, the relentless forechecking and backchecking, stick licking ability, and the guy shoots the puck when he gets it and won't pretend to be a playmaker. For a guy that is on a line that is supposed to drive the other team nuts and cycle the puck and get a few chances, he's done well for himself and has earned himself a reputation around the league.

I doubt Morrow waiving his NTC would be an issue, how many would say no to Pittsburgh with the opportunity of playing in the top 6 because of a lack of top 6 wingers?
Morrow doesnt fit in the top 6 and it's all good, in his prime he's been a top notch 2nd line winger flung into a first line role. At this point in his career he's perfectly cut out for the third line and some PP mins. He will continue to be the leader of what will be a very young nucleus of players(outside Jagr and Whitney of course) and he doesn't have to lead by leading the team in goals anymore, I wish people could accept that. Dallas doesnt need to save the money and there is no real need for Tyler Kennedy considering the number of depth players and prospects looking for an increased role. I wouldn't trade an asset for TK, on the lateral move front I think Nystrom is about fair value?

Old
08-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
You never know around here.

I've seen things way more stupid than that said without even a trace of humor.
Are you implying he was unaware the Stars missed the playoffs last season? That's the only way of him being serious (and taking a jab at Pittsburgh). If anything he was making fun of the Stars for missing the playoffs.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
The speed, the relentless forechecking and backchecking, stick licking ability, and the guy shoots the puck when he gets it and won't pretend to be a playmaker. For a guy that is on a line that is supposed to drive the other team nuts and cycle the puck and get a few chances, he's done well for himself and has earned himself a reputation around the league.
nobody can lick a stick like TFK.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:35 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
That's pretty revealing of how bad your D is ATM. From what I saw, he's still at best a #5.
well Neal became a PPG, 40 goal scorer last year, so I'd say things can change.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Primetimey

Quote:
13th in GA doesn't sound so awful to me.
That's what happens when you have a Goalie standing on his head almost every night.

I am a Dallas fan and would rate our defense in the bottom third of the league. Goligoski, Robidas, Daley, Larsen, Fistric, Pardy, Souray last year. Not good.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:32 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karitimes View Post
I wouldn't trade an asset for TK, on the lateral move front I think Nystrom is about fair value?
Not really.

It took Nystrom two seasons(10/11 and 11/12) to score as many points as Kennedy had last season in 60 games. I know there's more to the game than scoring, and Nystrom is a pretty good, physical grinder, but Kennedy is definitely a better player and has more value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
Are you implying he was unaware the Stars missed the playoffs last season? That's the only way of him being serious (and taking a jab at Pittsburgh). If anything he was making fun of the Stars for missing the playoffs.
No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying the idea that someone on here would cut their nose to spite their face, so to speak, wouldn't be least bit surprising to me.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:36 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karitimes View Post
Morrow doesnt fit in the top 6 and it's all good, in his prime he's been a top notch 2nd line winger flung into a first line role. At this point in his career he's perfectly cut out for the third line and some PP mins. He will continue to be the leader of what will be a very young nucleus of players(outside Jagr and Whitney of course) and he doesn't have to lead by leading the team in goals anymore, I wish people could accept that. Dallas doesnt need to save the money and there is no real need for Tyler Kennedy considering the number of depth players and prospects looking for an increased role. I wouldn't trade an asset for TK, on the lateral move front I think Nystrom is about fair value?
Glass signing makes Nystrom redundant.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:40 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Or maybe you don't know what you are talking about.

You mean to tell me a guy that was taken in the 1st round that had top 4 potential who was off his developmental path with the Stars, is now on it and playing like a top 4 and some how this is an indication of how bad the Penguins defense is?

I guess the Stars suck, they couldn't turn Neal into a 40 goal scorer...that statement is about as absurd as the Niskanen one you just made.

You act as if players haven't blossomed elsewhere before. I guess if we look back at Chris Kunitz, he should be a 4th line bum at best, but wait...he's been a top 6 player on two Stanley Cup winning teams and is a 50+ pt winger with an edge to his game. I wonder if people here actually watch this damn game for more than 1 season. Niskanen got a fresh start, he saw that the new team he was on had confidence in his abilities to bounce back and it slowly started make him believe it too. Last year with injuries to some of the key guys, his ice time increased because he got better, Pens had options, if he sucked they would have just spread out the minutes a little more and gave some of the guys in the AHL more opportunities. I think what burns most Stars fans is that the Pens ended up getting 2 solid players, damn solid players when they thought they got rid of a "throw in" and a decent top 6 winger.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
Quote:

You mean to tell me a guy that was taken in the 1st round that had top 4 potential who was off his developmental path with the Stars, is now on it and playing like a top 4 and some how this is an indication of how bad the Penguins defense is?

I guess the Stars suck, they couldn't turn Neal into a 40 goal scorer...that statement is about as absurd as the Niskanen one you just made.

You act as if players haven't blossomed elsewhere before. I guess if we look back at Chris Kunitz, he should be a 4th line bum at best, but wait...he's been a top 6 player on two Stanley Cup winning teams and is a 50+ pt winger with an edge to his game. I wonder if people here actually watch this damn game for more than 1 season. Niskanen got a fresh start, he saw that the new team he was on had confidence in his abilities to bounce back and it slowly started make him believe it too. Last year with injuries to some of the key guys, his ice time increased because he got better, Pens had options, if he sucked they would have just spread out the minutes a little more and gave some of the guys in the AHL more opportunities. I think what burns most Stars fans is that the Pens ended up getting 2 solid players, damn solid players when they thought they got rid of a "throw in" and a decent top 6 winger.
At the time of the deal, Niskanen was a throw-in.

Nice to see he's finally elevated his game in Pittsburgh; both he and Neal simply were not doing that in Dallas.

08-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Glass signing makes Nystrom redundant.
He's the best we got for a guy of Kennedy's calibre. And since everyone's value, Morrow included, seemingly is based solely on last year, I don't think Nystroms 16 last season would be redundant over Glass' career 13 goals. I say this might be an upgrade, albeit a small one. Then again, Pitt could use the toughness rather than extra offense from the 3rd/4th line. I will be interested to see how the 3rd line goes there this year without Staal.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Steve Holt
Fire Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post

Nice to see he's finally elevated his game in Pittsburgh; both he and Neal simply were not doing that in Dallas.
It's a trade that has worked out well for both sides. No sense in bragging.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post

so you mean they were both throw-ins?

Old
08-23-2012, 11:17 AM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:

Exactly, you nailed it home.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:48 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
Closed, since this once again became a Neal/Goligoski thread.

Closed Thread