HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
It wasn't nice that's for sure, especially for a team plagued with enough problems.. That said, few in the league are concerned about the all-star game, in all reality the fans of the league other than Columbus are concerned about not seeing their team play a 2012-13 season and could care less about Columbusís all-star game being cancelled..

The thing that gets my crow, Atlanta got the last lockout and now possibly Columbus? That's pure bad karma.... The next NHL/NHLPA contract season all-star game needs to go an original six team!
In all honesty, if the game was scheduled in NYC at the Garden for example, I bet the league would be pushing more for the game to be played. The greedy owners wouldn't want to pass up an opportunity to make big bucks on the game in a major city like that.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:58 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
When will the morons at Puckdaddy respect Columbus?
When we earn it.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:27 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Apparently it's open season on Columbus, Florida and Phoenix. Ray Romano, I mean Michael Grange, blames the potential lockout on us!

Quote:
A league in which franchises operating in markets that are passionate about hockey can match their fans' passion by investing to build winners. Nashville and Columbus are welcome in my NHL, but not if carrying them means Toronto or Boston or an inspired ownership in Edmonton can't spend as much as it wants to build teams and be attractive to stars.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/magazine/201...ve_easy_steps/

If you've ever heard Grange's voice, I think it's a dead ringer for Ray Romano.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
Apparently it's open season on Columbus, Florida and Phoenix. Ray Romano, I mean Michael Grange, blames the potential lockout on us!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/magazine/201...ve_easy_steps/

If you've ever heard Grange's voice, I think it's a dead ringer for white noise, which emits more intelligent thought than this pathetic assclown could ever conjure up. There's more logic in outtakes of "Two and a Half Men" than in this pathetic joke of a column.
Fixed.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Fixed.
Well done, sir. I could not agree more, it is fixed quite nicely.

Old
08-23-2012, 06:56 AM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Are we really surprised that we get hammered by everybody not Columbus? Look at the numbers. We suck. We continue to suck. We see a lot of suck in the future. Attendance is terrible. Ownership has failed since day 1. After a better part of a decade, a team should be better. We suck. Sorry. Its the facts. If we dont want to be made fun of the how about we stop sucking? Until ownership is changed, I fear we continue to suck.

Rant off.

So how have you guys been?

Old
08-23-2012, 07:19 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubOFH View Post
Rant off.

So how have you guys been?

Same old same old. How are the triplets?

Old
08-23-2012, 08:13 AM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Same old same old. How are the triplets?
They are great. Almost 5 years old now. Crazy right?

Old
08-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Triplets? Man ... I thought having a three year old and a baby was tough. Triplets

Old
08-23-2012, 09:15 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Damn, how the time has flown! You posted a pic when they were newborn, any chance of an update? I certainly understand if you don't want to do it on a public site, though. I'm delighted to hear that they're doing well, Pub, best wishes to all the family!

Old
08-23-2012, 11:45 PM
georgiabluejacket

#1 pick to be assigned

Now admittingly this is coming from Eklund, but

"Part of the PA's proposal allows for Bettman to arbitrarily assign the #1 pick in the draft to a financially distressed team."

We're financially distressed, hook a BJ up! Of course it'd probably be assigned to Edm or Pho.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Hollywood... /////

Old
08-24-2012, 12:07 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post

"Part of the PA's proposal allows for Bettman to arbitrarily assign the #1 pick in the draft to a financially distressed team."

We're financially distressed, hook a BJ up! Of course it'd probably be assigned to Edm or Pho.
WTF. So it doesn't go by who is the worst teams, but who is the most financially stressed?

Old
08-24-2012, 12:13 AM
Crede777
Deputized

So it will go to Phoenix, New Jersey, Nashville, etc.?

Columbus is not financially distressed in the eyes of the NHL. For one, ownership is not threatening to sell like a couple of others are. Second, getting the All-Star game was contingent upon a clean bill of health by the NHL (getting arena situation under control and other things).

Man you really want to hear the conspiracy theories? Let Bettman arbitrarily give Nathan Mackinnon to someplace like Phoenix.

Old
08-24-2012, 02:08 AM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Not sure if it was talked about already so if it has, my apologies. After hearing Yakupov would go to Europe if a lock out takes place, what would Murray do? Will he just go back to the Juniors or would he go to Europe? What would be the best interest for him and Columbus? Can he get better by going back to the Juniors or is he to good for that now and needs better competition? Going to Europe, he plays in a pro league with older guys. Plus, more NHL players could be going over so he would be playing with and against NHL players so it could help his development. Would be cool if Jack Johnson goes to a European League and Murray signs with the same team and gets paired up with him. Would be better if no lock out occurs and my question is meaningless.

Old
08-24-2012, 04:18 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Not sure if it was talked about already so if it has, my apologies. After hearing Yakupov would go to Europe if a lock out takes place, what would Murray do? Will he just go back to the Juniors or would he go to Europe? What would be the best interest for him and Columbus? Can he get better by going back to the Juniors or is he to good for that now and needs better competition? Going to Europe, he plays in a pro league with older guys. Plus, more NHL players could be going over so he would be playing with and against NHL players so it could help his development. Would be cool if Jack Johnson goes to a European League and Murray signs with the same team and gets paired up with him. Would be better if no lock out occurs and my question is meaningless.
Murray would most certainly go back to Everette.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Ryan Murray would in fact captain the Everett Silvertips again this year. And, it's possible that he does that even without the lockout. He isn't at fall camp for the Tips, but my guess is that without an NHL training camp, he is sent back to them.

Old
08-24-2012, 12:28 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post

Hey, it happened last time

Old
08-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
So it will go to Phoenix, New Jersey, Nashville, etc.?
"Nashville" and "financially distressed" go together like "Columbus" and "about to relocate any day now". Maybe once a case could be made several years ago, but anyone who's paying attention now knows it's untrue - and repeating it is insulting to many of those in the know, because it's usually suggested by haters dismissing the market.

We get enough mythcrap heaped on us without spreading it around on others.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
08-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Does anyone think it is possible the NHL/NHLPA are dragging their feet on the CBA while they get all the extensions in under the old agreement? There sure seems to be a lot them getting done right now, coincidence?

I post, therefore I am.
Old
08-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Does anyone think it is possible the NHL/NHLPA are dragging their feet on the CBA while they get all the extensions in under the old agreement? There sure seems to be a lot them getting done right now, coincidence?
Not sure of the validity, but from what I've heard, the players union has a lot to gain by waiting until December to make any concessions, at which point they'll give the owners more of what they want.

Take it for what it's worth - I'm the prospect guy, not the CBA guy

Old
08-25-2012, 03:08 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Not sure of the validity, but from what I've heard, the players union has a lot to gain by waiting until December to make any concessions, at which point they'll give the owners more of what they want.

Take it for what it's worth - I'm the prospect guy, not the CBA guy
What would they have to gain in December that they wouldn't gain now? I'm not sure I understand why it would be any different then than now, particularly in that they'd give in more then versus now. If anything, I would think they'd have a little more leverage by then.

I don't really know if I'm up for a lockout. In an organizational history full of disasters, I think the last 12 months or so would be awfully hard to survive. Carter, losing realignment, 30th place, not getting the 1st overall, Nash being traded, losing the ASG (and all of the extra season tickets that went with it)...

Losing the ASG would be one more huge blow in a series...

The Hockey Writers shared a similar sentiment in a recent article, though a bit dramatic, the whole situation does concern me greatly.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-lock...ackets-future/

On one hand, we survived Doug Maclean. On the other hand, just how much more can this organization take?

Old
08-25-2012, 03:41 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 398
I am edging closer to the fence after originally preferring the NHLPA proposal. On the 1 hand, there has been no labor dispute in 17 or so years and baseball is very strong. I also think the NHLPA proposal would help Columbus out financially. However, I'm not sure I want a system like baseball that has seen the Yankees make 7 World Series appearances since the labor dispute in baseball was settled. In hockey, there does seem to be more parity, and bad teams have made themselves better through the draft.

Old
08-25-2012, 03:51 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I am edging closer to the fence after originally preferring the NHLPA proposal. On the 1 hand, there has been no labor dispute in 17 or so years and baseball is very strong. I also think the NHLPA proposal would help Columbus out financially. However, I'm not sure I want a system like baseball that has seen the Yankees make 7 World Series appearances since the labor dispute in baseball was settled. In hockey, there does seem to be more parity, and bad teams have made themselves better through the draft.
The Yanks have one Championship in this century, half of what the Cards have and the same as the Giants, Marlins, and Phils. This year, the Nats and Pirates have risen from the dead to contend for the playoffs for the first time in many years. I agree that hockey has more parity, but the Yankees have not dominated baseball as they had in prior decades.

Old
08-25-2012, 04:31 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
The Yanks have one Championship in this century, half of what the Cards have and the same as the Giants, Marlins, and Phils. This year, the Nats and Pirates have risen from the dead to contend for the playoffs for the first time in many years. I agree that hockey has more parity, but the Yankees have not dominated baseball as they had in prior decades.
Agreed on this decade, but the Yankees have been in the World Series 7 times since the MLB strike year and have won the World Series 5 times. Anyhow, I'm not a Yankees basher. Just that they seem to year in and year out rank among the highest payroll.

I very much enjoy seeing the Reds, Nationals and Pirates contending. I just wonder aloud if baseball really has the best system. And I wonder for selfish reasons, what would be best for the CBJ.

Closed Thread