HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Offseason Thread IV: Vorassic Park

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I remember thinking he didn't look like his posted weight. I believe "rack of bones" was the term used to describe him in preseason.

08-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
By the end of last season, I have no doubt that Couturier was getting down into the 190 range. Athletes almost always lose weight over the course of a long season.

Ultimately, at 6'3" and pretty broad shoulders... 210-215 is probably about perfect, so for him to be at 204 going into his 19-20 year old season, is 100% reasonable.

I'm hoping we can get 16 minutes a game of him this year.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
I remember thinking he didn't look like his posted weight. I believe "rack of bones" was the term used to describe him in preseason.
You sure we weren't talking about Simmonds?

08-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
You sure we weren't talking about Simmonds?
No. We were absolutely talking about Couturier. It was a big part of the argument in favor of sending him down for development.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No. We were absolutely talking about Couturier. It was a big part of the argument in favor of sending him down for development.
Joke went over your head

Simmonds is even lighter

Old
08-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UDVwQsFlSt1
Quote:
The league called players for embellishing 33 times during the 2011-12 regular season. The issue came to a head during the Western Conference final when Phoenix Coyotes coach Dave Tippett complained about it after a loss to the Los Angeles Kings.

"The game is turning a little dishonest and it's embellishment by players," he said at the time. "When it's done well, it's very hard for the referees, very hard, because if you fall down near the boards or you drop your stick or you throw your head back, you're putting the referee in a very tough situation."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=640294

Quote:
TORONTO -- National Hockey League Senior Executive Vice President Colin Campbell believes that players, coaches and general managers all want the diving/embellishment rule to be called more stringently -- and more often -- in order to eliminate the act from the sport.

Campbell came to that conclusion after video proposals and extensive discussions with representatives of those three groups during the two-day Rule Enforcement Meeting, which concluded Wednesday morning.

The players in the session, including Ottawa Senators center Jason Spezza, Vancouver Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa and Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman John-Michael Liles, led an impassioned discussion on enforcing the diving/embellishment rule (Rule 64.1), Campbell told NHL.com. He said the players want to distribute a list of divers around the League so it can be posted in all 30 dressing rooms and be delivered to the on-ice officials.

"They want to get [the list] out there," Campbell said. "They want the player to be caught, whether it's on the ice by the referee or by us on video. They are all tired of diving. The object is to make them stop eventually and, by doing that, they can get it out there around the League, embarrass them. The referees will know it, too, so the divers don't get the benefit of the doubt."

Old
08-22-2012, 07:43 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

A list. Awesome.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:57 PM
FLYguy3911

Letang

Old
08-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

All 30 teams will be represented. I'm glad they're doing something about it.

Old
08-22-2012, 08:18 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

So they'll just hand the on ice official the entire roster of the Pens and Canucks?

Seriously, everyone embellishes...does that get you on the list? How many dives does it take to land on the list?

Old
08-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
So they'll just hand the on ice official the entire roster of the Pens and Canucks?

Seriously, everyone embellishes...does that get you on the list? How many dives does it take to land on the list?
Watch, the list will end up including every active NHL player and anybody who's played more than 5 games in the last 5 years.

Old
08-22-2012, 08:32 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
All 30 teams will be represented. I'm glad they're doing something about it.
The Flyers player rep sits down at the table. Crosby's head snaps back, and he looks at the Chair for some sort of corroboration that the Flyers should be penalized.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:05 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

The rat Marchand should top that list.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I think a list is a bad idea.

If you want the refs to be even handed, you can't give them a list of juicy targets. The refs aren't dumb. They watch tape of games that they've reffed, as well as games others have reffed and also get to hear players ***** to them about who's diving. I'm sure some names and numbers get spotted on tape and brought up in ref-to-ref conversations more than others. So they probably already know who to look for. Make it known you want the penalty called more often, and they'll call it. That's all that is necessary and fair IMO.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:26 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I think a list is a bad idea.

If you want the refs to be even handed, you can't give them a list of juicy targets. The refs aren't dumb. They watch tape of games that they've reffed, as well as games others have reffed and also get to hear players ***** to them about who's diving. I'm sure some names and numbers get spotted on tape and brought up in ref-to-ref conversations more than others. So they probably already know who to look for. Make it known you want the penalty called more often, and they'll call it. That's all that is necessary and fair IMO.
The list isnt so much for the refs as it is to humiliate routine divers. The logic is that if there is a list, and players are put on it for the entire league to see, it will deter diving in the first place.

The intended solution isnt to penalize diving when the refs suspect it-- it's to remove it from the game completely. A list would, I guess, be intended to keep players honest, so the refs wont be expected to do so.

Not sure if it will have the intended effect, but if so many NHL players are for taking action against diving, you have to suspect that the listed players will quickly lose the respect of their peers. Although, I would argue that everyone knows who dives and who doesnt already, so that respect is gone with or without a list...

Old
08-23-2012, 08:10 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
That's awesome. I can't stand the diving. Danny Briere, probably my favorite player, is definitely the biggest diver on the Flyers. That crap is so annoying.

I wonder, of the 33 times that embellishing was called, how many times did the actual penalty get called too? I can't remember the last time a guy got called for diving and there was not a matching a minor to go along with it.

Old
08-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That's awesome. I can't stand the diving. Danny Briere, probably my favorite player, is definitely the biggest diver on the Flyers. That crap is so annoying.

I wonder, of the 33 times that embellishing was called, how many times did the actual penalty get called too? I can't remember the last time a guy got called for diving and there was not a matching a minor to go along with it.
Probably all 33 times.. The rules don't make the original penalty negated.. Which is why the diving has no real downside

Old
08-23-2012, 09:16 AM

This list idea is so retarded. It's not a black and white issue. You can't prove a player embellished a call 90% of the time. The sheer use of the word 'embelish' suggests that there's been some kind of offence in the first place.

Take for example the retarded Penguins fans who think that Giroux embellished that stick to the chin he got in the play-offs last year. That's a widely accepted opinion for some reason but it's nonsense.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:01 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Take for example the retarded Penguins fans who think that Giroux embellished that stick to the chin he got in the play-offs last year. That's a widely accepted opinion for some reason but it's nonsense.
I think you're talking about Schenn taking the crosscheck from Asham? If so, Pens fans truly believe Brayden is the worst diver in the league after that.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:34 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
I think you're talking about Schenn taking the crosscheck from Asham? If so, Pens fans truly believe Brayden is the worst diver in the league after that.
Hard to take the fans of a team with Kris Letang on it seriously on this issue.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

And crosby

Old
08-23-2012, 10:43 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
And crosby
I'll say this, at least with Crosby, he at least sells it very well. Kris Letang should seriously have whiplash from his embellishments.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:46 AM
thelos
Bunk

yeah Letang is like Carcillo

Old
08-23-2012, 10:55 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
yeah Letang is like Carcillo
I was just thinking about this. If Carcillo's career wasn't over already, it certainly is now should there be a list coming.

Refs are already looking for him to do anything else. Now add diving to that.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:31 AM
McNasty

The list isn't the best way to go about it because diving should be a penalty whether you have a reputation about it or not. First off I think making it a double minor and calling it more often will help. Second, if the new CBA allows for stiffer fines, 2500 is a joke, then you can start hitting these guys in the wallet when they're constantly caught snapping the head back with no contact.

Closed Thread