HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You are shopping D?

Old
08-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 500
we whimsically wish we can wangle a winger from the Wild without wanton wrangling.

Crafton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Whether it's to us or not, I expect them to move one of Heatley or Setoguchi for help on D by the deadline.
i'd add a healthy Pierre-Marc Bouchard to that list.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:07 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Whether it's to us or not, I expect them to move one of Heatley or Setoguchi for help on D by the deadline.
CapGeek has the Wild at about $1.3M under the cap ... I could see them making some sort of trade well before the deadline if the cap changes very much under the new CBA.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:11 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
we whimsically wish we can wangle a winger from the Wild without wanton wrangling.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:16 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
CapGeek has the Wild at about $1.3M under the cap ... I could see them making some sort of trade well before the deadline.
Yeah therein kinda lies the problem with it being Martin. They're pretty close to the cap, and outside of it being Dany Heatley (who if Martin was involved we could afford at this point) they wouldn't be able to fit Martin into their pay structure and leave some wiggle room.

I really, honestly think at this point with the Pens, the most likely target from the Wild is not Setoguchi, it's Heatley. We have the cap space to take him on (especially if Martin was involved which he would be I think just based on talent levels), and it's only a two year deal, meaning Letang's and Malkin's extensions would not be affected. We'd have to add some to Martin obviously, but I think that's the deal to be made.

My thought process I guess was something like Martin and Maatta/Harrington for Heatley. That clears out some cap space for the Wild, gives them a position of need at top 4 D, and gives them another D prospect to bring along because after Brodin I believe their cupboard is pretty bare (depending on your opinion of Tyler Cuma). The Pens get their winger for Sid. It's not perfect. Heatley needs to rebound a little. Martin needs to rebound from the Wild's end. But I think that's pretty fair right now...

Last edited by vecens24: 08-21-2012 at 09:27 PM.
vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Yeah therein kinda lies the problem with it being Martin. They're pretty close to the cap, and outside of it being Dany Heatley (who if Martin was involved we could afford at this point) they wouldn't be able to fit Martin into their pay structure and leave some wiggle room.

I really, honestly think at this point with the Pens, the most likely target from the Wild is not Setoguchi, it's Heatley. We have the cap space to take him on (especially if Martin was involved which he would be I think just based on talent levels), and it's only a two year deal, meaning Letang's and Malkin's extensions would not be affected. We'd have to add some to Martin obviously, but I think that's the deal to be made.

My thought process I guess was something like Martin and Maatta/Harrington for Heatley. That clears out some cap space for the Wild, gives them a position of need at top 4 D, and gives them another D prospect to bring along because after Brodin I believe their cupboard is pretty bare (depending on your opinion of Tyler Cuma). The Pens get their winger for Sid. It's not perfect. Heatley needs to rebound a little. Martin needs to rebound from the Wild's end. But I think that's pretty fair right now...
HARRINGTON MUST BE RETAINED.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:03 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
I ask about the internet rumors that you could be interested in getting Setoguchi for a D.

Any possibility that could be true? What would you have in the block?
Unless it's Lovejoy and Grant going the other way, it's just that...rumors.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
What, no haiku?

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
What, no haiku?
never really been a fan of the haiku.

i wonder if this lockout-shortened season can help Shero in his winger quest. there's going to be less room for error for bubble teams and perhaps a lot of the teams that would end up not selling during the deadline because they're in the 7-10 spot find out their fate a little sooner. of course the opposite could happen too. should be an interesting trade deadline.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
What, no haiku?
Crosby with the puck
Skates around Martin, passes.
Setoguchi goal!

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:13 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post

This makes sense, but I don't know how quick Shero would be to pull the trigger on any trade involving Martin at this point. Right now, we really can't afford to let any of our 'experienced' D go until we've seen what the kids can do. My guess would be that he'd try to wrangle something around Strait and/or Bort + something. Although, who knows, maybe Yeo really wants Lovejoy. Yeah, prolly not. But, seriously, I think whatever Shero's trying to do now involves prospects in some way. Then, again, he may just want to move Martin while it's only one poor season against the balance of what has otherwise been a pretty good career.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:38 AM
PenguinTommy

Twitter rumor says, the offer is Martin for Setoguchi + Stoner

I will pray for Shero every night, if he can make this trade

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:26 AM
mpp9

What twitter rumor?

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Skk82

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post

Who's, uh, going to play defense next year?

The Pens have a lot of NHL caliber defensemen, but really only 3 true "top 4" guys that can play tough even-strength minutes against good competition: Letang, Martin and Orpik. (And even they have their moments of not looking so great).

Niskanen is a good player and improving within the system all the time, but asking him to be a #4 (which it looks like the Pens may do next season) seems like a stretch enough. Asking him to be a #3 is even worse.

Despres, highly sheltered as a #6 in the NHL with huge offensive zone starts against checking players last season, is not going to make the jump to seamless top-four minute eater this season.

Engelland is not a top 4 guy on a team with contending aspirations.

Absent acquiring at least one solid, reliable defenseman the Pens can't really afford to trade Martin or Orpik in an off-season where they already dealt off one struggling top 4 defenseman for no NHL assets.

Pittsburgh needs another top 6 forward, but they need even more not to trade away a top defensemen unless there's a firm plan to immediately make another move to replace him.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post

I'd be really happy if Shero can pull that off

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Burgs

Niskanen can be a top 4 defender. He was some years ago in Dallas when he was only in his early 20s. Now that he has matured some, and got his confidence back, he could replace the Pens version of Martin at half the cost. Setoguchi should thrive in our uptempo offense playing with Sid. Plus we'd get back a big, tough stay at home D in Stoner (signed for 2 years at 1.05 million).

Only problem I see is Stoner being somewhat redundant on the 3rd pairing with Engelland playing a similar style and Bortuzzo waiting for his chance. Then again, more size on D can't hurt.

Edit: Not that I believe this rumour to be true anyway...

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:06 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Only problem with that rumor is that the combined cap hit for Seto and Stoner is just a hair over $4M ... which would mean the Wild would be taking on almost a million, putting them right at the cap limit. They bought out two contracts to get them the $1.3 cushion they have now. Can't see them doing something that won't leave them any wiggle room.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Only problem with that rumor is that the combined cap hit for Seto and Stoner is just a hair over $4M ... which would mean the Wild would be taking on almost a million, putting them right at the cap limit. They bought out two contracts to get them the $1.3 cushion they have now. Can't see them doing something that won't leave them any wiggle room.
I think they'd much rather move Heatley than Setoguchi for just that reason. I think a deal for Seto is more likely to involve Niskanen and a prospect instead of Martin. It would almost have to.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:18 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

I posted this in the Trade Rumors thread but thought it would apply here as well. Soon enough, the famous Martin for Stewart HF Board Rumor may return ;-)

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/D...ey-to-Business

"Colaiacovo gets Offer….

Sources confirm talks have progressed between D-man Carlo Colaiacovo and the Detroit Red Wings. Word is he’s received a multi-year offer from Detroit with the New York Rangers and the Carolina Hurricanes also expressing some level of interest. He turned down Nashville earlier this summer while the Calgary Flames have indicated they could be interested in if they move Jay Bouwmeester.

As for St. Louis, they haven’t closed the door on Colaiacovo but may choose to give Ian Cole an opportunity to take the next step. Word is Cole has had a great off-season and is in terrific shape. Whether or not he can be a quality partner for Alex Pietrangelo is certainly unknown. Pietrangleo could always slide over to the left side if the Blues load up and pair the future Norris candidate with fellow up and comer Kevin Shattenkirk. GM Doug Armstrong continues to explore the trade market searching for an upgrade on defense. A new CBA could force teams to move a player or two depending on the salary cap."

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I posted this in the Trade Rumors thread but thought it would apply here as well. Soon enough, the famous Martin for Stewart HF Board Rumor may return ;-)

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/D...ey-to-Business

"Colaiacovo gets Offer….

Sources confirm talks have progressed between D-man Carlo Colaiacovo and the Detroit Red Wings. Word is he’s received a multi-year offer from Detroit with the New York Rangers and the Carolina Hurricanes also expressing some level of interest. He turned down Nashville earlier this summer while the Calgary Flames have indicated they could be interested in if they move Jay Bouwmeester.

As for St. Louis, they haven’t closed the door on Colaiacovo but may choose to give Ian Cole an opportunity to take the next step. Word is Cole has had a great off-season and is in terrific shape. Whether or not he can be a quality partner for Alex Pietrangelo is certainly unknown. Pietrangleo could always slide over to the left side if the Blues load up and pair the future Norris candidate with fellow up and comer Kevin Shattenkirk. GM Doug Armstrong continues to explore the trade market searching for an upgrade on defense. A new CBA could force teams to move a player or two depending on the salary cap."
the classics are classic for a reason.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:27 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
I think they'd much rather move Heatley than Setoguchi for just that reason. I think a deal for Seto is more likely to involve Niskanen and a prospect instead of Martin. It would almost have to.
If there would be a trade involving the Pens & Minny's Setoguchi, I agree with your assessment that Martin would be too much of a cap hit for them to take especially since the new CBA has yet to be agreed upon and its been speculated that the salary cap will probably drop this year once agreed upon. The Seto deal would probably have to involve Kennedy (as a sweetener) and one of our younger D that is waiver eligible and Yeo & Fletcher are familiar with since their stay with the Pens. If not, a Niskanen (a Minnesto native) Setoguchi swap would be ideal for both sides (assuming that Shero likes Martin and he turns his game around considerably).

To be honest, Heatley would make more sense for the Wild to move as well as PM Bouchard (which I hope Shero doesn't take a flier on).

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:12 AM
Honour Over Glory

If you're Fletcher and you just added Parise to a solid group of forwards with some young guys that could also fight for a spot and then added Suter to a..."meh" group of defensemen, wouldn't you try to go after Martin to add some depth?

If Suter gets hurt, the Wild are basically screwed, their next best defenseman is then a rookie or Tom freakin' Gilbert.

The wild can make that Martin for Setoguchi + Stoner trade and then move Cullen and be just fine for a spot for guys to fight for in camp. Or whomever else they want to move, I think they keep Heatley. Who would want him with that cap hit and the label he's tagged on himself with the whole Sens thing.

The Wild have some youth that can fight for a spot in their bottom 6, what they don't have is solid defensive depth to truly be a contender and let's be real, you sign two of the biggest UFA's in recent memory, you're trying to be a legit contender. The Wild should make some moves still. Wouldn't you?

You lose Stoner and a guy that probably didn't fit all that well in your system for a guy that will help with the transition game and ease some pressure off of Suter. As it stands, Suter is probably going to be playing a ton of minutes, getting exposed more often without a Weber beside him and being over played could lead to injuries and piss poor playoff performances if they even get that far.

The other question is how much does it really hurt the Pens defense if they lose Martin?

Orpik, Letang, Niskanen...that's the top 3, Engelland is your bruising 5th, and Stoner is your 6th...4th?

Last edited by Honour Over Glory: 08-24-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 08:35 AM
InjuredChoker

Wild probably won't contend for the cup next year, they are building of the future. One of Gilbert or Scandella could be their top4dman or maybe even both. Falk, Stoner and Spurgeon still have some upside. Suter is already #1, imo. Brodin and Dumba are coming up, Brodin maybe as soon as next season.

What they need a lot is goal scoring, they scored the least goals last season of the league. Though injures contributed to that. They still need their shooters, and I don't think they give up on either Seto or Heatley so soon. Other than those two, only Parise is a legit goal scorer and he's a garbage man, not a sniper. Coyle, Zucker and co are unproven, Granlund is playmaker.

IF they are trading Seto they could get much better package than just Martin. Martin would be one step forward and one step back for them, imo. I don't think even Shero is THAT brilliant to pull that off. Fletcher seems pretty smart, barring the Barker trade.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Heatley is definitely interesting as well, i'd be happy with either Seto or Heater. Interesting for Heatley's contract at a cap hit of 7.5 per year but his salary is 6 and 5 million for his final 2 years of contract.

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Zbynek

Dany Heatley...want. Badly.

An easy 160 goals out of Sid/Heater/Geno/Jim Neal

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote