HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

EJ and O'Reilly

Old
08-18-2012, 04:28 PM
MillerTime2181

vCash: 500
That all being said do you guys think there is a D-man on the roster now they could pair with Johnson to help him reach his potential?

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 04:33 PM
JWK
Missing Mueller

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Eskimo and Braden posting in the Smid vs EJ thread , the only guy missing is FilthyNote.
Time for us to dumb down.

JWK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 View Post
I'm going to refrain from posting this on the main board Erik thread because there's too many calling him a "bust" for really absurd reasons.... Since you guys get to see him most how has he developed? Has he made strides since you traded for him? And what do you think his potential ultimately is? I remember when he got drafted hearing about him and I was immediately drawn to follow him. Then the injury happened and obviously it seems something has been amiss since then. Anyone still think he can reach his top-end potential from draft day? And if not why not? And did the injury really affect him that much? Thanks guys again I don't get to see much of him anymore.
The way I view EJ's situation, is that he has always put a lot of pressure on himself to be the elite #1 defenseman he was pegged to be, and still put that pressure on himself with the Avs, and I think it's just a bit much for him to deal with. Once he clearly took a step back from trying to be "the guy" for the Avs in every facet when Hejduk was named captain, he simplified things, didn't do as many interviews, didn't force things as much on the ice, and really solidified his game. Which in turn gave him confidence, and he was able to grow his game as the season went on.

That knee injury really stagnated his development, and he's at the point where if he is going to grow his game, he has to do it slowly. Not in big strides, which is what St. Louis, and most other fans expect from him. Colorado fans seem to be a bit more patient with him, because he will always be very solid in his own zone, and that's not really something Colorado has had in a top four two way defenseman since Bourque really. Quincey was close but not really. It's nice to have that again.

If he can get the right partner to help ease the burden defensively, and moving the puck, they could develop a good chemistry and boost each other's offensive points. A capable two way defenseman that is more of a playmaker, while EJ can be more of the shooter. I similar version of Suter-Weber. To go along with a system that is more suited to the defenseman working with the forwards in transition, rather than the forecheck system Sacco instills now. Then I think we will really see what EJ is capable of.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 03:57 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

eskimo44 has gotten so bad in EJ threads that oilers fans have gone to bashing him...is filthynote dead?

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Danglesnipe
52-22-8

Gotta have myself a look at that thread.

Danglesnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Skogger
Still Believe

if they dont sign radar by sept 15th they wont be able to until theres a new cba inked?

Skogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 View Post
That all being said do you guys think there is a D-man on the roster now they could pair with Johnson to help him reach his potential?
Not really, but I think his true potential would be raising the game of those around him, not relying on them to be the player he can be.

Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

How legit is ROR? Do you guys expect him to produce at an even better pace next NHL season whenever that is? Or is around 55 a good number for the guy. I know this guy is a defensive gem.

For my hockey pool.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
How legit is ROR? Do you guys expect him to produce at an even better pace next NHL season whenever that is? Or is around 55 a good number for the guy. I know this guy is a defensive gem.

For my hockey pool.
Is it going to be a european hockey pool? KHL, SEL, etc??

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

vCash: 0
Quote:

For my hockey pool.
I believe he will put up some 65 ish pt seasons if given the ice time and wingers I doubt 70 pts from him but it may be possible given his insane work ethic and dedication

Landeskog The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

If Landeskog is taken off his wing I expect around 35-45 points and solid defensive work .

Nzap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
If Landeskog is taken off his wing I expect around 35-45 points and solid defensive work .
Hmm, what are the chances Landeskog gets taken off his wing? Are either or Paul Sta/Duchene being used as wing right now?

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:27 AM
goblinmedics

Quote:
Hmm, what are the chances Landeskog gets taken off his wing? Are either or Paul Sta/Duchene being used as wing right now?
All three are playing center. I can't see O'Reilly realistically potting less than 50-55 points regardless of linemates this next year, provided he plays 80+ games and gets the usual amount of icetime.

goblinmedics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

55 is about his ceiling for me. You'll get more from hits, takeaways and faceoff wins from him.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quincey on O'Reilly:

Quote:
Quincey, 27, helped develop O’Reilly, who is destined to become the last Avalanche player under contract for 2012-13. “Factor” is an restricted free agent who is coming off his three-year, entry-level contract, and a breakout 2011-12 season in which he led the Avs in scoring and was tops in the NHL with 104 takeaways. Word is he wants a five-year deal and the Avs are only offering three. He figures to make between $3 million and $4.5 million annually.
Quote:
“All I know is, he’s one of the best hockey players I’ve played with and by far one of the top five good guys off the ice,” Quincey said of O’Reilly, 21. “He’s one of my favorite hockey players and hopefully he gets a good deal because he’s a huge part of that hockey team. He’s by far the hardest worker I’ve ever played with. He’s an unbelievable guy.”
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...tuation/11359/

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

My God if ROR wants 5 years. GIVE IT TO HIM. He's the best player on this team as of right now. What is management thinking? Lock him up for as long as you can.

Tralfamadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BON IVER View Post
My God if ROR wants 5 years. GIVE IT TO HIM. He's the best player on this team as of right now. What is management thinking? Lock him up for as long as you can.
And buy only one year of his UFA status? They need to give him a short bridge contract or a really long one (7+ years).

Old
08-23-2012, 12:39 PM
the_fan

Who cares about ROR still being unsigned if there ain't gonna be NHL hockey

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 01:05 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
And buy only one year of his UFA status? They need to give him a short bridge contract or a really long one (7+ years).
I agree.

Dater is making it sound like the Avs want him to be RFA at the end of this contract and Factor wants the long term deal. If we go with a long term deal it would be like to take up as many UFA years as possible.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Ivan13
Problem child

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
I agree.

Dater is making it sound like the Avs want him to be RFA at the end of this contract and Factor wants the long term deal. If we go with a long term deal it would be like to take up as many UFA years as possible.
Mike Chambers.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Yup, I agree, 6+ years or then 3.
Not something there in between.
We already have Downie´s contract ending where he hits UFA.

Nzap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

Quote:
Solid reasoning after a solid 75% of a season where he scored 55 points.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

Quote:
I do agree but the way I am looking at it is this. Ryan has been reported as loving the organization I just don't want management to do anything that may jeopardize that relationship. If the team gives him what he wants now he will likely be more than happy to sign once he hits FA.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Solid reasoning after a solid 75% of a season where he scored 55 points.
Can't tell if this is sarcasm...

Old
08-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

Quote:
Can't tell if this is sarcasm...
Giving someone anything he wants after one ok season is foolish and given Sherman's record as an RFA re-signer, is something that's unlikely to happen.