HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XV

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Relevant re: Tarik & Neuvirth, though tinged with J.P.'s opinion:

http://www.japersrink.com/2010/10/7/...ths-reputation

Old
08-22-2012, 05:26 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Yeah, we really need some hockey to start.

Old
08-22-2012, 05:32 PM
razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
I'm an RMNB staff writer/Russian translator and I can say that's not the case. That's the accusation you throw without any proof. I spent a lot of time talking to our editors about all that situation yesterday.
We couldn't make it sound more outrageous than it was because none of the staff writers (who are the only people interested in popularity of the post) knows Czech. And RMNB doesn't capitalize on page views (no ads).
Yes, I understand that there are a lot of questions as a reader about intentions... But there was no intent to make it worse than it was, that's what I can say.
I am a native Czech speaker and I can attest that the Czech lady who translated the interview for the Russian website did a really good job. Whenever there were alternative ways of translating certain phrases, she went for the more bland, neutral one. I did my fair share of translations myself, and I think this "neutralization" is an important skill especially when one translates for the American audience - where both the media and the readers tend to freak out whenever they see responses that don't resemble "Crash Davis 101 course on answering questions" (just IMO ) .

I can also say that iSport.cz (the internet portal owned by the "Sport" daily) is a reputable source, and I am reasonably certain that any interviews they do with the athletes are legit. Czech interviews are simply more open, for the reasons I still don't quite understand.

[My opinion is that Czech writers are simply able/willing to ask better questions, because they know their editors are willing to print longer, more in-depth features on the athletes covered by the paper. ]

Incidentally, I don't think iSport.cz even considered the answers regarding Holtby, Hunter, Ovechkin, or Semin particularly controversial, as the headline of the original interview is "Capitals goalie Neuvirth: I advised Voky to take the Pittsburgh [job]."

Old
08-22-2012, 11:51 PM
artilector

Well, interesting read, but like others said, I'd have zero problems if these were Neuvirth's private thoughts, but opining on others in public to this extent is completely dumb and can only cause problems. Either he is too young, too stupid, or too arrogant to keep some things "in-house".

Old
08-23-2012, 07:46 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

RAAAAAAAA I love the fact OV speaks his mind!

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I hate the fact Neuvy speaks his mind!

Old
08-23-2012, 09:23 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, we really need some hockey to start.
ain't happenin'. lock out. doom.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:12 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Could someone translate Hamrlik's interview from July out of the same newspaper because I Googled translated and the words got all tangled up. Then we can make a mountain out of a molehill with that one too. LOL

Old
08-23-2012, 10:28 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Could someone translate Hamrlik's interview from July out of the same newspaper because I Googled translated and the words got all tangled up. Then we can make a mountain out of a molehill with that one too. LOL
Hamrlik spent half the interview complaining that there's not a Country Kitchen Buffet closer to Kettler. The rest was nonsensical rantings about the post office.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:36 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Hamrlik spent half the interview complaining that there's not a Country Kitchen Buffet closer to Kettler. The rest was nonsensical rantings about the post office.
Quit picking on the Czechs.

Hamrlik has no use for a Country Kitchen Buffet - he's actually a chef. LOL Actually he mentions Hunter and Ovechkin too. I'm pretty confident there wasn't anything that said "I loved Dale Hunter as a coach." LOL

Old
08-23-2012, 11:50 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1100
Who was that coach with the rings that ignored players - Bowman perhaps. I bet the nurture me's hated him too. He no bring me goulash.

mmm goulash and radegast

Old
08-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Who was that coach with the rings that ignored players - Bowman perhaps. I bet the nurture me's hated him too. He no bring me goulash.

mmm goulash and radegast
Seriously?

Bowman was a legendary multi-cup winning coach.

Hunter did jack ****.

I'm sure Bowman's players didn't mind him not talking to them.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:10 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

RH's Hunter defense was pretty funny while he was still here and winning 50/50 games.

Now that he's back on the farm, the defense has crossed into knee-slapping hilarious.

IF the Caps win a cup in the near future, Hunter's tenure will not have a ******* thing to do with it. FFS, without BBs 7-0 start to the season, the Caps don't make the playoffs under Hunter's stellar regular season record.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:56 PM
NeilYoung

Yeah no doubt hunter is comparable to the greatest coach ever

Old
08-23-2012, 01:02 PM
txpd

there's another difference between hunter's not talking to the players and bowman beyond the cups. bowman's asst. coaches talked to the players for him. meaning that a goalie who left the morning skate as the game starter who not walk into the locker room for the game and find a goalie not even on the roster when he left posted as the starting goalie without a word from the coaching staff.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:11 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1100
Oh the drama

It's funny watching everyone flip out over a fan defending Dale. It was also funny watching how everyone did a 180 on hating dale once we beat Boston, just in case we went far. Did you eat your crow yet?

In half a year he got as far any other coach has here in a decade yet you would think he was a complete failure. This after inheriting a headcase of a team on the downfall.

You won't admit what he did worked as well as any other coaches approach. It's thus pointless to argue.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:16 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Oh the drama

It's funny watching everyone flip out over a fan defending Dale. It was also funny watching how everyone did a 180 on hating dale once we beat Boston. Did you eat your crow yet?

In half a year he got as far any other coach has here in a decade yet you would think he was a complete failure. This after inheriting a headcase of a team on the downfall.

You won't admit it what he did worked as well as any other coaches approach. It's thus pointless to argue.
He got remarkably lucky (Holtby), and even then barely squeaked by. He turned a good/very good possession team into one that couldn't control play to save their lives.

Full credit to them for getting the guys to buy in to sacrificing themselves for the sake of defense etc. But as a head coach he was, to put it simply, terrible. If you want to say that he would have taken things up in phases and implemented a legitimate system if given enough time, fine. But what we saw was horrible coaching outside of the defensive zone. That's not even touching the questionable lineup decisions.

Now, the fact that he got remarkably lucky when most of the time the Caps seem to get remarkably unlucky might be worth something.

(Despite what this looks like, I'm over it and wish him well. But I won't blame players who didn't like his style and I'd agree with them. He seemed to be neither a good strategist nor a good players' coach, and being neither of those things leaves you with little else. The Bowman analogy has nothing to work with).

Old
08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
EroCaps

Neuvirth isn't saying anything about OV that Kolzig and McPhee didn't allude to last year. Or that I've been saying for 3 years.

Poor choice to do that interview, though. As if everyone isn't going to hear what you say bc you do the interview in another language.

A lot of stupid on the roster.

Old
08-23-2012, 01:23 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
He got remarkably lucky (Holtby), and even then barely squeaked by. He turned a good/very good possession team into one that couldn't control play to save their lives.

Full credit to them for getting the guys to buy in to sacrificing themselves for the sake of defense etc. But as a head coach he was, to put it simply, terrible. If you want to say that he would have taken things up in phases and implemented a legitimate system if given enough time, fine. But what we saw was horrible coaching outside of the defensive zone. That's not even touching the questionable lineup decisions.

Now, the fact that he got remarkably lucky when most of the time the Caps seem to get remarkably unlucky might be worth something.

(Despite what this looks like, I'm over it and wish him well. But I won't blame players who didn't like his style and I'd agree with them. He seemed to be neither a good strategist nor a good players' coach, and being neither of those things leaves you with little else. The Bowman analogy has nothing to work with).

The good stuff was Hunter(coin flip wins), the bad stuff was GMGM pulling the strings(everything else). Bowman had the respect of his players. How many players threw Bowman under the bus in his entire ****ing career, let alone in 5 months? Neuvy is just saying what we're all thinking in pretty much every regard.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:05 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Hunter, IMHO, was lucky to make the playoffs. As weird as it sounds, if Mike Green had not been suspended Hamrlik may have never been in the lineup again. And Wideman's struggles were exacerbated when Hamrlik was pulled.

Hunter communicated but not with his players - he chose the media to fire his shots. Then the media went to the players which made for awkward situations. And of course Hunter had his favorites. Don't remember that about Bowman. Always got the impression there was just a mutual respect between Bowman and his players.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Holtby benefited from Hunter's system much more than it benefited from Holtby. I'm very glad Hunter's gone, but the system helped Holtby quite a lot.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:12 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Sports fans, always kicking the departed....

I find it amusing that people are saying Hunter was lucky when he essentially lost a coin flip to the Rangers in game 7 by a goal. Like him or not, he took the team as far as it's been in the playoffs in recent history. Hate is tactics, his communication methods, etc...but I think some guys probably learned a decent amount about being a true professional from Hunter. I'm happy to have Oates and a more uptempo style, but I think there were some positives from Hunter's reign and really believe he was brought in as McPhee's heavy short term.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Hunter, IMHO, was lucky to make the playoffs. As weird as it sounds, if Mike Green had not been suspended Hamrlik may have never been in the lineup again. And Wideman's struggles were exacerbated when Hamrlik was pulled.

Hunter communicated but not with his players - he chose the media to fire his shots. Then the media went to the players which made for awkward situations. And of course Hunter had his favorites. Don't remember that about Bowman. Always got the impression there was just a mutual respect between Bowman and his players.

Bowman was widely known to be a total a-hole. Head coach isn't a popularity contest.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:34 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Bowman was widely known to be a total a-hole. Head coach isn't a popularity contest.
You don't say?

Old
08-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
what?? no post practice ice cream partys this year??

Old
08-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Bowman was also a good coach though. Hunter wasn't.

Closed Thread