HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting Info: Part XII (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
So if DD doesn't fall to the 4th line who does?
RyJo? Prospal? Letestu?
I think its a numbers game and DD on the 4th makes the most sense unless RyJo goes to the A.
This. I don't think Dorsett's performance is a fluke either... which is why I want him helping out on the fourth line.

Besides, I have Letestu busy helping Foligno shelter Johansen from all the big bad forwards out there (and possibly taking faceoffs as well), so he can't drop.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
08-19-2012, 05:29 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
This. I don't think Dorsett's performance is a fluke either... which is why I want him helping out on the fourth line.

Besides, I have Letestu busy helping Foligno shelter Johansen from all the big bad forwards out there (and possibly taking faceoffs as well), so he can't drop.
If you're thinking of lines by descending offensive prowess, I might agree. But our third line should be our best defensive line, and Dorsett does that well. Honestly, i think the third may be our most important line. If we can upgrade our checking line, and add other players up front things may change (My fantasy involves Calvert-Jenner-Letestu but I'm pretty sure that won't happen, at least not this year.)

Old
08-19-2012, 07:06 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

I'm seeing lots of optimism out of the new/fairly new players who will be in the lineup this year if the NHL can get their acts together. JMFJ, Dubinsky, Foligno and, most recently, Anisimov all seem to have somewhat genuine excitement for the year and the roster in place.

My question is is it really genuine or several cases of "say the right thing"?

Old
08-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
If you're thinking of lines by descending offensive prowess, I might agree. But our third line should be our best defensive line, and Dorsett does that well.
What makes you think Calvert-MacKenzie-Dorsett isn't a "third" line?

Your reply suggests that you're leaning hard on the idea of "we need a REALLY good checking line 'cause our scoring lines are BAD." This is the wrong approach with the personnel we have. With the personnel we have, pretty much everybody has to do both scoring and checking - no "line specialization" can be done, 'cause we don't have that sort of talent on the roster. We don't have any pure scorers who can be thrown in the offensive zone and told "do what you do", and we don't have any hardcore defensive forwards who start in the defensive zone and spend their shifts singing "can't touch this".

What we do have is guys who can do a fair amount of both - AND enough blueline skill to take advantage of same in the top 4 (and possibly the bottom pair as well). We need to exploit that, and plan our lines and strategy accordingly, rather than try to cling hopelessly to the "scoring, secondary scoring, checking, energy" paradigm. Clinging to that will destroy our little teambuilding experiment before it ever gets off the ground.

I really hope Richards appreciates that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
I'm seeing lots of optimism out of the new/fairly new players who will be in the lineup this year if the NHL can get their acts together. JMFJ, Dubinsky, Foligno and, most recently, Anisimov all seem to have somewhat genuine excitement for the year and the roster in place.

Well, it sure mirrors my optimism, FWIW.

Old
08-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post

New season, new roster, new goaltender, new attitudes.. I say genuine all the way.

Old
08-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
New season, new roster, new goaltender, new attitudes.. I say genuine all the way.
Let's just hope there is a season to show it off.

Old
08-20-2012, 05:44 AM
EspenK

Interesting chart for you to sort different ways. Mason wasn't the worst goalie in the league over the past 4 seasons.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...y=games_goalie

Old
08-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Interesting chart for you to sort different ways. Mason wasn't the worst goalie in the league over the past 4 seasons.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...y=games_goalie
The bad part about this is, two of the guys who have worse save percentages also played here, and of the guys listed below him, none have been continuously given the starting gig, regardless of their play.

Old
08-20-2012, 02:24 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
The bad part about this is, two of the guys who have worse save percentages also played here, and of the guys listed below him, none have been continuously given the starting gig, regardless of their play.
well, maybe he was the worst

Old
08-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

The arena renovations are beginning, and the team is posting pics on its Instagram feed:

Old
08-22-2012, 05:10 PM
FANonymous

I was curious if they've put in the new scoreboard yet. I'm excited to see what that ends up looking like.

Old
08-22-2012, 05:41 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
I was curious if they've put in the new scoreboard yet. I'm excited to see what that ends up looking like.
I'm curious to see if our side of it works.

(you HAD to see that one coming!)

Old
08-22-2012, 05:45 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I'm curious to see if our side of it works.

(you HAD to see that one coming!)
I heard they got the clock from the staples center!!

Old
08-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
I heard they got the clock from the staples center!!
Yeah, it was a little known stipulation in the Jeff Carter trade - if the Jackets wish to retain the first round pick, they have to have the clock stop at 2 seconds whenever the Kings come to town now, so they can embarrass us on our own ice and we have to blame our own clock staff!

Old
08-22-2012, 09:25 PM
bizzz*

I just noticed that we don't have a single player who was a Blue Jacket when Doug MacLean was the GM. Last year we had 3 players from the 2006-07 roster (Nash, Methot and A.Johnson) and now all 3 of them are gone. The new era begins... Right after the lock-out.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:23 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Anyone see Johansen at the hockey school thing? He looks so tall, and so thin. Looks like a stick.

http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/vid...ed-share-video

Old
08-23-2012, 01:08 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Anyone see Johansen at the hockey school thing? He looks so tall, and so thin. Looks like a stick.

http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/vid...ed-share-video
Not concerned with what he "appears to look like" in a jersey with no pads.

Old
08-23-2012, 06:08 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
I just noticed that we don't have a single player who was a Blue Jacket when Doug MacLean was the GM. Last year we had 3 players from the 2006-07 roster (Nash, Methot and A.Johnson) and now all 3 of them are gone. The new era begins... Right after the lock-out.
Well, we do have a few MacLean draft picks sprinkled about. Dorsett, Mason, Brassard, and Boll are all that are left if I remember correctly.

Old
08-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Not concerned with what he "appears to look like" in a jersey with no pads.
Except he was supposed to have added 20 pounds of muscle or some such. Maybe he also took off 20 pounds of something else.

Old
08-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Huselius seems to think he was rushed back onto the ice before he was ready. Also isn't talking to the club.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...gainst-me.html

Quote:
"I had not a single practice with the team before coming back," Huselius said. "I had one game to get acclimated. Then I went into (the next) NHL game and played 21 minutes. I think they acted wrong against me. My groin broke in the second game. I had not built up muscle mass and was not fit or ready to play.

08-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Huselius seems to think he was rushed back onto the ice before he was ready. Also isn't talking to the club.

Following this, I give it about 24 hours before "Columbus rushes all their players back from injury" and "Columbus has the worst medical trainers in the NHL" become Universal Truths on the mains.

Does anyone recall if at the time there seemed like a drive from either Juice or the club for him to return? 'Cause I recall his likely return time being, like, January, and there being a lot of concern about his showing up in early December.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

And who's fault was it he wasn't ready to play opening night?

He made $2.375 million per game played last year. I know he wants people to feel sorry for him, and that the team wronged him, but I'm having a hard time caring when you look at those numbers.

The guy made over $100,000 per game played over his entire career here making him the highest payed player per game played to ever to wear a Blue Jackets uniform. To put it into perspective, Nash was only paid $95,000 per game last season, and obviously a lot less in previous years before this big contract.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:59 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Following this, I give it about 24 hours before "Columbus rushes all their players back from injury" and "Columbus has the worst medical trainers in the NHL" become Universal Truths on the mains.

Does anyone recall if at the time there seemed like a drive from either Juice or the club for him to return? 'Cause I recall his likely return time being, like, January, and there being a lot of concern about his showing up in early December.
I don't remember the details to be honest. However, let's make the assumption that Juice has some kind of point. The CBJ training staff might be guilty of bringing him back too soon. At the same time, Arniel would have been at fault for playing him almost 20 minutes on his first night back. That does seem high.

It is a far more complex discussion. It's not like we have a history of this type of problem, at least one that I can remember.

Was he ready to play? I thought he was skating for weeks before he came back. An issue with the Pectoral muscles probably shouldn't have impacted his groin as much as the upper body. It's not like he was coming back from a hip or knee issue. I would think he could have worked that lower body for a while before he was cleared for contact.

Old
08-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Except he was supposed to have added 20 pounds of muscle or some such. Maybe he also took off 20 pounds of something else.
Exactly why I'm not concerned, people have said he's built muscle, we're now going to disprove that with one video?

Old
08-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Exactly why I'm not concerned, people have said he's built muscle, we're now going to disprove that with one video?
That's fine, and I'm not trying to prove or disprove anything. But wouldn't it have been cool if the "20 pounds of muscle" kinda made you go "Man, check out Ryjo."

Closed Thread