HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Why GBR at Olympics?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-13-2012, 02:03 PM
  #1
Robotic
Registered User
 
Robotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
Why GBR at Olympics?

Yet separate teams in football?

USSR never did this.

Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:09 PM
  #2
Franck
Insolent Upstart
 
Franck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,022
vCash: 50
Because they have had separate Football Associations since the dawn of the sport.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:22 PM
  #3
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 15,769
vCash: 900
Because only countries with Olympic Committees can compete at the Olympic games and the whole of Britain is governed by the British Olympic Association, unlike in football where you have FA's in each country.

EDIT:

USSR and GBR can't be compared, USSR was constituted like USA.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:28 PM
  #4
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 81,953
vCash: 50
Because only England have any decent athletes and any Scottish success is our seeing as we fund everything of there's.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:00 PM
  #5
Robotic
Registered User
 
Robotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
I saw Bellamy, where was Bale?

Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:08 PM
  #6
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 81,953
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by khlman View Post
I saw Bellamy, where was Bale?
"Injured".

Although he played a friendly for Tottenham a few days later and then got injured for real in that game, which was some nice karma.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:01 PM
  #7
Dustin Peener
Maldonator
 
Dustin Peener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 61,328
vCash: 662
So we get more votes against Sepp Blatter and his oppressive FIFA regime.

Oh and something to do with history and playing against each other

Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:22 PM
  #8
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The lunatic fridge
Country: Finland
Posts: 53,143
vCash: 500
So that Wales could experience getting knocked out in a penalty shootout for once.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:56 PM
  #9
Vamos Rafa
Registered User
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Armenia, California
Country: Spain
Posts: 12,756
vCash: 500
Ryan Giggs refused to sing God Save the Queen.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:55 AM
  #10
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 11,377
vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by khlman View Post
Yet separate teams in football?

USSR never did this.
The UK is the country.

When it comes to football, the reason there are separate teams is because we basically invented the sport. All 4 associations existed pre-1880 and then unified the rules of the game when they set up the International Football Association Board which pre-dates FIFA by 20 years. IFAB still govern the rules of football, but FIFA have got a place at the table now along with the 4 FA's. Not going to get rid of that kind of history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Ryan Giggs refused to sing God Save the Queen.
Did he? Or did he just not sing it?

Sick of the idiots in the press highlighting all the Scottish/Welsh athletes that didn't sing the national anthem while ignoring the many English athletes that didn't. Another reason to hate Piers Morgan. You have to be something special to be more hated in the UK than Max Clifford.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:21 AM
  #11
Dustin Peener
Maldonator
 
Dustin Peener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 61,328
vCash: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Sick of the idiots in the press highlighting all the Scottish/Welsh athletes that didn't sing the national anthem while ignoring the many English athletes that didn't. Another reason to hate Piers Morgan. You have to be something special to be more hated in the UK than Max Clifford.
Yeah, I can think of loads of English players who never sing the anthem. Half of them probably don't even know the words!

(I'll admit I don't know the words of the verses, but I grew up in Wales) and I'd wager most of the population of England doesn't either.

And blackadder has to be quoted here



"I KNOW THE WORDS TO ALL 3 VERSES OF GOD SAVE THE KING!"
"4 VERSES!"
"4 VERSES! 4 VERSES! I MEANT 4 VERSES!"

Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:21 PM
  #12
rj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
A bit late but one of the IOC's rules is to compete you must be a sovereign country, which England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are not, but Great Britain is.

They actually reinforced this very recently. The Netherlands Antilles (Curacao and some other nearby Dutch-speaking islands) was dissolved in late 2010 into becoming constituent members of the Netherlands which led to the IOC removing the Netherlands Antilles from entering athletes as a separate Olympic Committee in 2011, and those athletes will either compete for the Netherlands in the future or Aruba, a sovereign state near the former Netherlands Antilles that used to be a part of them. (If you watched the men's 100-meter final, Churundy Martina competed for the Netherlands. In 2008, he competed for the Netherlands Antilles.) The remainder of their athletes in the 2012 Olympics that qualified competed as "Independent Olympic Athletes".

So if you want to see Welsh athletes in the Olympics under a Welsh flag, vote for secession.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 06:35 PM
  #13
jimmythescot
Registered User
 
jimmythescot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Because only England have any decent athletes and any Scottish success is our seeing as we fund everything of there's.


I was wondering why there was a New Zealand protectorate there along with American and British ones. There were probably more too, but those were the ones that stuck out to me. IOC has weird rules.

jimmythescot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:06 PM
  #14
Dustin Peener
Maldonator
 
Dustin Peener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 61,328
vCash: 662
The Channel Islands are a strange case, they are not part of the UK but not a country either

Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:35 PM
  #15
nutbar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
A bit late but one of the IOC's rules is to compete you must be a sovereign country, which England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are not, but Great Britain is.

They actually reinforced this very recently. The Netherlands Antilles (Curacao and some other nearby Dutch-speaking islands) was dissolved in late 2010 into becoming constituent members of the Netherlands which led to the IOC removing the Netherlands Antilles from entering athletes as a separate Olympic Committee in 2011, and those athletes will either compete for the Netherlands in the future or Aruba, a sovereign state near the former Netherlands Antilles that used to be a part of them. (If you watched the men's 100-meter final, Churundy Martina competed for the Netherlands. In 2008, he competed for the Netherlands Antilles.) The remainder of their athletes in the 2012 Olympics that qualified competed as "Independent Olympic Athletes".

So if you want to see Welsh athletes in the Olympics under a Welsh flag, vote for secession.
Aruba is not exactly sovereign, it's still under the Kingdom of the Netherlands. And there are quite a few non-independent territories in the Olympics. Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, etc.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.