Yet separate teams in football?

USSR never did this.

Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Because they have had separate Football Associations since the dawn of the sport.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Because only countries with Olympic Committees can compete at the Olympic games and the whole of Britain is governed by the British Olympic Association, unlike in football where you have FA's in each country.

EDIT:

USSR and GBR can't be compared, USSR was constituted like USA.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Because only England have any decent athletes and any Scottish success is our seeing as we fund everything of there's.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Robotic

vCash: 500
I saw Bellamy, where was Bale?

Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by khlman View Post
I saw Bellamy, where was Bale?
"Injured".

Although he played a friendly for Tottenham a few days later and then got injured for real in that game, which was some nice karma.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Dustin Peener
Maldonator

vCash: 662
So we get more votes against Sepp Blatter and his oppressive FIFA regime.

Oh and something to do with history and playing against each other

Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

So that Wales could experience getting knocked out in a penalty shootout for once.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 10:56 PM
Vamos Rafa

Ryan Giggs refused to sing God Save the Queen.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by khlman View Post
Yet separate teams in football?

USSR never did this.
The UK is the country.

When it comes to football, the reason there are separate teams is because we basically invented the sport. All 4 associations existed pre-1880 and then unified the rules of the game when they set up the International Football Association Board which pre-dates FIFA by 20 years. IFAB still govern the rules of football, but FIFA have got a place at the table now along with the 4 FA's. Not going to get rid of that kind of history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Ryan Giggs refused to sing God Save the Queen.
Did he? Or did he just not sing it?

Sick of the idiots in the press highlighting all the Scottish/Welsh athletes that didn't sing the national anthem while ignoring the many English athletes that didn't. Another reason to hate Piers Morgan. You have to be something special to be more hated in the UK than Max Clifford.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Dustin Peener
Maldonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Sick of the idiots in the press highlighting all the Scottish/Welsh athletes that didn't sing the national anthem while ignoring the many English athletes that didn't. Another reason to hate Piers Morgan. You have to be something special to be more hated in the UK than Max Clifford.
Yeah, I can think of loads of English players who never sing the anthem. Half of them probably don't even know the words!

(I'll admit I don't know the words of the verses, but I grew up in Wales) and I'd wager most of the population of England doesn't either.

And blackadder has to be quoted here

"I KNOW THE WORDS TO ALL 3 VERSES OF GOD SAVE THE KING!"
"4 VERSES!"
"4 VERSES! 4 VERSES! I MEANT 4 VERSES!"

Old
08-22-2012, 04:21 PM
rj

A bit late but one of the IOC's rules is to compete you must be a sovereign country, which England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are not, but Great Britain is.

They actually reinforced this very recently. The Netherlands Antilles (Curacao and some other nearby Dutch-speaking islands) was dissolved in late 2010 into becoming constituent members of the Netherlands which led to the IOC removing the Netherlands Antilles from entering athletes as a separate Olympic Committee in 2011, and those athletes will either compete for the Netherlands in the future or Aruba, a sovereign state near the former Netherlands Antilles that used to be a part of them. (If you watched the men's 100-meter final, Churundy Martina competed for the Netherlands. In 2008, he competed for the Netherlands Antilles.) The remainder of their athletes in the 2012 Olympics that qualified competed as "Independent Olympic Athletes".

So if you want to see Welsh athletes in the Olympics under a Welsh flag, vote for secession.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 06:35 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Because only England have any decent athletes and any Scottish success is our seeing as we fund everything of there's.

I was wondering why there was a New Zealand protectorate there along with American and British ones. There were probably more too, but those were the ones that stuck out to me. IOC has weird rules.

jimmythescot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Dustin Peener
Maldonator

The Channel Islands are a strange case, they are not part of the UK but not a country either

Old
08-23-2012, 03:35 PM
nutbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
A bit late but one of the IOC's rules is to compete you must be a sovereign country, which England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are not, but Great Britain is.

They actually reinforced this very recently. The Netherlands Antilles (Curacao and some other nearby Dutch-speaking islands) was dissolved in late 2010 into becoming constituent members of the Netherlands which led to the IOC removing the Netherlands Antilles from entering athletes as a separate Olympic Committee in 2011, and those athletes will either compete for the Netherlands in the future or Aruba, a sovereign state near the former Netherlands Antilles that used to be a part of them. (If you watched the men's 100-meter final, Churundy Martina competed for the Netherlands. In 2008, he competed for the Netherlands Antilles.) The remainder of their athletes in the 2012 Olympics that qualified competed as "Independent Olympic Athletes".

So if you want to see Welsh athletes in the Olympics under a Welsh flag, vote for secession.
Aruba is not exactly sovereign, it's still under the Kingdom of the Netherlands. And there are quite a few non-independent territories in the Olympics. Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, etc.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote