HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Armchair GM Thread Part IX

Old
08-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
It is the playoffs where you need the Lidstrom, Pronger, Orr, Nieds type.
And how many current defensemen in the NHL are future Hall of Famers and one of the best defensemen in the history of the game?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:36 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUndertow40Six2 View Post
Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but I seem to remember Datsyuk making a statement at the all star game that was along the lines of "He (Couture) is a better hockey player, right now, than I was at his age."
So? Does that mean that Couture's going to be better than Datsyuk in Datsyuk's prime?

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:42 PM
TheUndertow40Six2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
So? Does that mean that Couture's going to be better than Datsyuk in Datsyuk's prime?
Not by any means. But I don't think it would be unreasonable to state that he's on the right track, developmentally, to have similar upside.

TheUndertow40Six2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:46 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
And how many current defensemen in the NHL are future Hall of Famers and one of the best defensemen in the history of the game?
I already stated it was the narrow definition of #1's. There aren't a lot and almost all will be HOF. Currently Chara, Letang, Pronger, Keith and Doughty. Keith and Doughty only when playing to their potential and not sitting on their laurels (and fat paychecks). Pronger and Lidstrom may be leaving the field, Suter and Weber may take their spots. Look for the guys who are consistently putting up huge + numbers along with 50ish points.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:12 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
It's still too early to say that he'll be a career number 2 center.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:01 AM
hockeyball

On the Boyle topic, if Keith Yandle can be considered for a Norris, than Boyle is certainly Norris caliber. He's just been unlucky to not have the right season at the right time, but he's certainly a better player than Yandle is.

On the Thornton topic, yes, he is one of the best centers all time. He's basically a lock for the hall of fame, especially if he gets a cup. Comparing Couture to him is completely unrealistic. We are not going to have a hall of fame #1 center forever.

The point is simply it is WAY too earlier to predict Coutures development. Some very talented players, and very smart hockey minds, have commented on how impressive he is. Could he be a #1 center, absolutely yes he COULD, will he, that's yet to be seen.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:26 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
On the Boyle topic, if Keith Yandle can be considered for a Norris, than Boyle is certainly Norris caliber. He's just been unlucky to not have the right season at the right time, but he's certainly a better player than Yandle is.
Right season at the right time is key here... More than a few Dmen had that problem over the last decade that no matter how well they played the norris was a one horse race every year. Lidstrom for my money is the greatest defensman in the history of the sport. It's like trying to win a scoring title back in the 80s when Gretz was with Edmonton. The trophy was engraved before the season started each year.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 06:40 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
The point is simply it is WAY too earlier to predict Coutures development. Some very talented players, and very smart hockey minds, have commented on how impressive he is. Could he be a #1 center, absolutely yes he COULD, will he, that's yet to be seen.
Couture has everything going for him except for top tier speed. If he was Marleau fast, he would be a #1 center without a single doubt.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Right season at the right time is key here... More than a few Dmen had that problem over the last decade that no matter how well they played the norris was a one horse race every year. Lidstrom for my money is the greatest defensman in the history of the sport. It's like trying to win a scoring title back in the 80s when Gretz was with Edmonton. The trophy was engraved before the season started each year.
wrong wrong wrong, theres this unknown guy named bobby orr that even in his 12 years did more then lidstrom did in his 20+ years.

8 norris trophy's
art ross winner 2 times
hart trophy winner
conn smyth
lester b pearson

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 12:16 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
wrong wrong wrong, theres this unknown guy named bobby orr that even in his 12 years did more then lidstrom did in his 20+ years.

8 norris trophy's
art ross winner 2 times
hart trophy winner
conn smyth
lester b pearson
I didn't even comment because it's not relevant to the topic, but yes Bobby Orr was the superior player, by quite a margin. There is a reason he is one of the only 3 players ever in the debate for 'greatest hockey player of all time'.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Vaasa

Quote:

8 norris trophy's
art ross winner 2 times
hart trophy winner
conn smyth
lester b pearson
Ehh, I love Orr as much as the next fan, but the league he played in was radically different than the league Lidstrom played in. Orr was basically a forward who occasionally played a bit of defense. The competition was MUCH weaker overall, the fitness level of the players was less, the physicality was less, and the overall skill level of the players was less.

Orr was massively dominant in his time, but if you had him in the modern NHL I don't he does nearly as well as he did. To me, Lidstrom is the best.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Kitten Mittons

That's like saying Crosby is better because goalies in Gretzky's era sucked.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:59 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:

8 norris trophy's
art ross winner 2 times
hart trophy winner
conn smyth
lester b pearson
There's no doubt he was great but it isnt like Orr played against the greatest competition. From what Ive read, the defense was thereto play defense at the time and they weren't great skaters at the time either. It isn't the same as Lidstrom playing successfully in the current era and the deadpuck era.

I'm not discounting Orr, it's just that Lidstrom's success had seem more versatile and it has been easier to quantify considering all the greats he has played against.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:30 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

so we got to aug 22 before the Bobby Orr discussion came up this off season, really must be a slow time for us, like watching hair grow...

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:56 PM
joseph_kerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
There's no doubt he was great but it isnt like Orr played against the greatest competition. From what Ive read, the defense was thereto play defense at the time and they weren't great skaters at the time either. It isn't the same as Lidstrom playing successfully in the current era and the deadpuck era.

I'm not discounting Orr, it's just that Lidstrom's success had seem more versatile and it has been easier to quantify considering all the greats he has played against.
You understand that's part of the greatness of Orr right? He came and he changed the game.

And to be fair Lidstrom has as well in the sense that he showed you don't have to be a heavy hitter to be great but still not in the same magnitude. I guess you could say Lidstrom changed the game while Orr revolutionized it.

joseph_kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 03:58 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 3565
Murray, Clowe, Nieto + 2nd for Number 4 Bobby Orr

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:06 PM
hateseed
TentacleGrapeSoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Murray, Clowe, Nieto + 2nd for Number 4 Bobby Orr
No deal. Minn offered him 200M over 37 years. 98M in signing bonuses over the first 12 years.

hateseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateseed View Post
No deal. Minn offered him 200M over 37 years. 98M in signing bonuses over the first 12 years.
But then Philly offersheeted him a 50 yrs 400M contract.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:16 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
But then Philly offersheeted him a 50 yrs 400M contract.
I'd be hard pressed not to take 100 first round picks.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:34 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
That's like saying Crosby is better because goalies in Gretzky's era sucked.
No, it's like saying that there is no such thing as "greatest of all time" because of drastically different era's in sports.

Barry Bonds may be the HR king, but he never had to play at a ballpark where it took around 500 feet for a ball to get out of there (e.g., Polo Grounds to dead center IIRC). Similarly, Babe Ruth never played in the steroid era.

IMHO, you can't really say "greatest of all time," but rather "greatest of an era." To which Orr was the greatest Dman (And perhaps player) of his era.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:38 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Given that rollback of salaries and potentially length of contract are likely to come out of a new CBA (whenever they agree to one), and were likely leading up to this point, at what point do the Wild look like geniuses and other GM's don't for signing those massive Suter/Parise deals right before a near-certain rollback of salary and term?

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:16 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
Couture has everything going for him except for top tier speed. If he was Marleau fast, he would be a #1 center without a single doubt.
That's great but Couture is already a better player than Marleau...so there's that. Marleau isn't even a #1 center. He sucks at center.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:21 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post

This is the Wilt Chamberlin vs. Jordan debate. It's different. One was more dominant against lesser competition the other was tremendous against very good competition.

For my money Lidstrom is the greatest Hockey player of all time.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 06:08 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
This is the Wilt Chamberlin vs. Jordan debate. It's different. One was more dominant against lesser competition the other was tremendous against very good competition.

For my money Lidstrom is the greatest Hockey player of all time.
Ha, I almost wrote that practically word for word this morning... but then I didn't. Oh, and I put defenseman instead of player.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 06:29 PM
sharski

LOL @ anyone who doesn't think Mike Rathje isn't the greatest defenseman of all time... he was clearly held back by inferior teammates his whole career

they should just change it from the Norris to the Rathje trophy

sharski is offline   Reply With Quote